• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

Sarcasm

The typical common answer is if you haven't explored much of your world, only the new chunks that you haven't should update to newest.

What you have currently explored, like your base, won't have it.

The typical common answer is if you haven't explored much of your world, only the new chunks that you haven't should update to newest.

What you have currently explored, like your base, won't have it.

Ok that works, it would suck having to start over each patch especially on survival mode >_<

zMiiChy-

Banned
Does this game ever crash on Switch?
I experience crashes occasionally on PS3, and very often on the Vita (Trash port).
No crashes on PS4, I'm hoping the Switch version is similar.

This game meshes very well with the Switch!

melos

Does this game ever crash on Switch?
I experience crashes occasionally on PS3, and very often on the Vita (Trash port).
No crashes on PS4, I'm hoping the Switch version is similar.

This game meshes very well with the Switch!

In about the 30 hours I've put in so far (mostly handheld) I haven't had a single crash.

Can I ask a question:

My 8 year old loves Minecraft and is trying to pull me in.

1) what control configurations work with this version? Currently we only own the joycons that came with our Switch . Do I need another controller/pair of joycons?

2) What can two players do together in split screen?

Thanks in advance.

Cerium

Can I ask a question:

My 8 year old loves Minecraft and is trying to pull me in.

1) what control configurations work with this version? Currently we only own the joycons that came with our Switch . Do I need another controller/pair of joycons?

2) What can two players do together in split screen?

Thanks in advance.

1) Dual sticks are essential for camera control so you will need Pro Controller or second set of Joy-Cons.

2) Two players can do everything, I believe. Go ahead and build a world together.

Karish

Can someone link me to a 101 video for a complete noob. Tutorial is crap and I have no idea what's going on

forrest

formerly nacire
Can someone link me to a 101 video for a complete noob. Tutorial is crap and I have no idea what's going on

Hey Karish, Im a newcomer too and Ive been strictly playing survival. Just google Minecraft Survival for beginners and you find more videos than you'll need. I found that the "How to Play" Section under the pause menu can be really helpful if you can't remember a tooltip that popped up the first time you saw something. For example, I couldn't remember what the game said I should do to tame a horse, so I had to refer to that menu to learn how.

The one area I don't feel like things are spelled out at all, is the Nether and The End City. I have yet to check out the end city, but I took my first steps into the Nether yesterday. You have to mine obsidian, build a portal (just a rectangular gateway) then light a fire in the portal and youll create a magic purple gateway to take you to the hell-like locations This is where glow stones blaze rods, etc come from.

Also look into the items you can craft at a crafting table. Early on I used this as a guide on what I should be doing next. I now have a huge base, farm, boat dock, underground strip mine and a mine cart track that goes to the town nearby where I built a second home. Also, achievements can be a good guide to tell what you have/have not accomplished.

Hope that helps a bit!

OmegaFax

I think this is a bug. I was playing around with creating an End portal and this happened. It spawned outside of the frame.

rNFeZ6Xl.jpg

Karish

Hey Karish, Im a newcomer too and Ive been strictly playing survival. Just google Minecraft Survival for beginners and you find more videos than you'll need. I found that the "How to Play" Section under the pause menu can be really helpful if you can't remember a tooltip that popped up the first time you saw something. For example, I couldn't remember what the game said I should do to tame a horse, so I had to refer to that menu to learn how.

The one area I don't feel like things are spelled out at all, is the Nether and The End City. I have yet to check out the end city, but I took my first steps into the Nether yesterday. You have to mine obsidian, build a portal (just a rectangular gateway) then light a fire in the portal and youll create a magic purple gateway to take you to the hell-like locations This is where glow stones blaze rods, etc come from.

Also look into the items you can craft at a crafting table. Early on I used this as a guide on what I should be doing next. I now have a huge base, farm, boat dock, underground strip mine and a mine cart track that goes to the town nearby where I built a second home. Also, achievements can be a good guide to tell what you have/have not accomplished.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks. Looking for something a little more specific step by step walkthrough. There must be something.

forrest

formerly nacire
Thanks. Looking for something a little more specific step by step walkthrough. There must be something.

Here's a basic guide which is pretty current. It's not step by step, but it kind of outlines what you should be doing. He even brings up the Nether and the Ender dragon towards the end, which is what I was most confused about.

If this video isn't what youre looking for, just keep searching. It's such a popular game that has been out for some time, so there should be plenty of documentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhncITqVbqE

Camjo-Z

holy CRAP you lack taste
having a blast with adventure time way better then that botched mario pack

The Mario pack is annoying too TBH. The slow pace of Minecraft is best suited to peaceful or adventurous songs, not overly upbeat tunes like Bob-omb Battlefield or whatever the heck the hyperactive Adventure Time music is. Bought the Chinese Mythology pack for the music and never looked back.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hmmm i cant seem to second hand torches. Map works fine but i really though you could carry a torch and pickaxe.

You can only second hand arrows or the map unfortunately. I'm hoping we get the functionality that the pc version has as right now it's how the pocket edition works apparently.

rc213

In survival mode you don't have towns you can visit?

Also I had no idea you could walk past the original maps borders. Found a chasm that i explored for hours until i got lost and had to dig my way out of and ended up lost, When i was able to create a map it came up as map#2. Also came across a a whole giant section of the map made up of different colored terracotta.

In survival mode you don't have towns you can visit?

Also I had no idea you could walk past the original maps borders. Found a chasm that i explored for hours until i got lost and had to dig my way out of and ended up lost, When i was able to create a map it came up as map#2. Also came across a a whole giant section of the map made up of different colored terracotta.

Medium maps on Switch are about 3000x3000, and one map is about 1000x1000, so you will be able to make a grid of 3x3 maps for your entire world.

Also I'm not really basing this on much but in my experience, there is a good chance that there will be at least one town somewhere in your 3000x3000 world. Along with at least one desert temple, one jungle temple, and one ocean monument. But sometimes you get unlucky and just can't find one or more of those things.

Some seeds are better or worse for this sort of thing. If you want nearby towns, I know of a few of them. "Francis" has you start out facing a small town. "Awesomeland" has two towns near spawn. And "Golden Apple" is sort of a cheat seed that applies to all versions of the game, you start by a town and there are a lot of biomes nearby with a cool landscape.

Honestly the main use of towns is late game trading emeralds for cool stuff, or some of your stuff for emeralds. You can grow towns by making more apartments and have villagers breed, it can get nuts.

rc213

You do. They are not very common in any mode tho.

Medium maps on Switch are about 3000x3000, and one map is about 1000x1000, so you will be able to make a grid of 3x3 maps for your entire world.

Also I'm not really basing this on much but in my experience, there is a good chance that there will be at least one town somewhere in your 3000x3000 world. Along with at least one desert temple, one jungle temple, and one ocean monument. But sometimes you get unlucky and just can't find one or more of those things.

Some seeds are better or worse for this sort of thing. If you want nearby towns, I know of a few of them. "Francis" has you start out facing a small town. "Awesomeland" has two towns near spawn. And "Golden Apple" is sort of a cheat seed that applies to all versions of the game, you start by a town and there are a lot of biomes nearby with a cool landscape.

Honestly the main use of towns is late game trading emeralds for cool stuff, or some of your stuff for emeralds. You can grow towns by making more apartments and have villagers breed, it can get nuts.

Thanks guys.

I really wish you could mark your maps and that the compass didn't point to your spawn point exclusively.

Just went exploring found a decent cave, Got blown up from behind. Spent a couple hours trying to get back before giving up. Sigh...

ChuyMasta

Holy crap. This game is soooo addicting. I am trying to get the rail achievement....500m....thats a lot of iron. While hunting for it I ended up with so much cobblestone I earned the other achievement.

Also, word of caution, seems like breeding wolves does not count toward the leader of the pack achievement. Bummer

War3190

Neo Member
I am still new to Minecraft but love messing with Redstone and making contraptions.

Would love to play online with you guys.

FC: 2490-7500-5147

Cerium

With this news the value proposition of Minecraft on Switch has just skyrocketed. What seemed like a solid port before is now legitimately mindblowing.

• Full feature parity including unlimited world size.
  • Cross play with Xbox One, Mobile, PC.
  • All DLC purchases carry over across platforms.
  • Realms.
  • Dedicated servers.
You can build your world on the go then pick up where you left off on your PC. Join thousands of other players on dedicated servers. Basically you'll have the same version of the game that Xbox One and PC owners do.

Amazing. And it certainly explains the physical delay.

Good job Microsoft and Nintendo for making it happen.

Vexii

With this news the value proposition of Minecraft on Switch has just skyrocketed. What seemed like a solid port before is now legitimately mindblowing.

• Realms.
  • Dedicated servers.
You can build your world on the go then pick up where you left off on your PC. Join thousands of other players on dedicated servers. Basically you'll have the same version of the game that Xbox One and PC owners do.

Do we know if the Super Duper Graphics pack is coming to Switch as well?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know if the Super Duper Graphics pack is coming to Switch as well?

AFAIK the super duper stuff is xbox one and PC exclusive.

but they said something about other graphical enhancements that iOS and other devices will get. if they switch will get them...I don't know.

LaneDS

• Realms.
  • Dedicated servers.

Saw the other thread about these changes and was legitimately surprised to see the Switch version get bolstered in such a way. Very excited by this change and think they're doing great work across (almost all!) platforms.

Saw the other thread about these changes and was legitimately surprised to see the Switch version get bolstered in such a way. Very excited by this change and think they're doing great work across (almost all!) platforms.
The Switch version could potentially be the biggest selling console version.

deadfolk

Have they said explicitly that Switch will get the infinite worlds?

I know a lot of people are reading between the lines, but I'm just waiting for some small print that says '* certain features unavailable on Nintendo Switch'.

patientx

Have they said explicitly that Switch will get the infinite worlds?

I know a lot of people are reading between the lines, but I'm just waiting for some small print that says '* certain features unavailable on Nintendo Switch'.

For single player worlds that you play on your device there won't be infinite worlds because of the storage problems at least. For online multiplayer stuff that you can play on various big servers (this one is free) and realms (to be able to play at a world with your friends / family etc. without strangers and also without having to keep a PC open somewhere to host the world all the times, this one is available for a fee) are all infinite worlds at least theoratically.

Tntnico

• Realms.
  • Dedicated servers.

Yeah, this is amazing news ! I have Minecraft on Xbox and Windows 10, and I will totally triple dip for the Switch version now that it's crossplay with Realms !

jariw

For single player worlds that you play on your device there won't be infinite worlds because of the storage problems at least. For online multiplayer stuff that you can play on various big servers (this one is free) and realms (to be able to play at a world with your friends / family etc. without strangers and also without having to keep a PC open somewhere to host the world all the times, this one is available for a fee) are all infinite worlds at least theoratically.

What's your source on this? Minecraft PE had infinite worlds, and many tablet models don't have more memory than the Switch?

deadfolk

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Possibly infinite only online.

What's your source on this? Minecraft PE had infinite worlds, and many tablet models don't have more memory than the Switch?

It's not about memory, it's storage. The large worlds take up a lot of space on disk/flash memory and, well, there's not a lot of that to spare on Switch. There was also a suggestion (unconfirmed, I think) that console manufacturers impose an upper limit on save file size.

bosh

Is it worth it in its current state ? Not in any rush and have Minecraft on other devices so I know what I'm getting. Keep seeing some issues pop up and was wondering what the consensus was

arimanius

• Realms.
  • Dedicated servers.

I was blown away when this was announced. To me this makes the Switch version the premier version to own. All of that plus being portable. I can't wait.

deadfolk

Is it worth it in its current state ? Not in any rush and have Minecraft on other devices so I know what I'm getting. Keep seeing some issues pop up and was wondering what the consensus was

Well, it's Minecraft. As you say, you know what you're getting. I haven't had any issues with it in maybe 4/5 hours' play, handheld.

bosh

Well, it's Minecraft. As you say, you know what you're getting. I haven't had any issues with it in maybe 4/5 hours' play, handheld.

Good to know. Its always hard to tell with internet post if issues are single user related or widespread. Seems like for the most part though its either been fixed or only a small target getting affected.

Cerium

Cross post but I just realized that the Bedrock Engine already has full compatibility for touch screen controls; it powers the mobile versions after all. So when the Switch version transfers over there should theoretically be nothing preventing it from having touchscreen inventory management plus full analog movement and camera control.

This could actually make the Switch version the best way to play.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So I'm playing Minecraft for the first time and I'm not sure I quite get the point.

Am I just chopping down trees, mining rocks and other materials to make structures?

What else is there other than that? I'm feeling a bit aimless here.

Is there a good newbie's guide to Minecraft I can check out?

jariw

It's not about memory, it's storage. The large worlds take up a lot of space on disk/flash memory and, well, there's not a lot of that to spare on Switch. There was also a suggestion (unconfirmed, I think) that console manufacturers impose an upper limit on save file size.

Still, this doesn't make any sense. After all, the announcement says infinite world sizes.

A iPad 4 16GB model has less storage (and also much less RAM) than a vanilla Switch. And the storage on the Switch is dependent on the running microSD configuration.

Also, infinite world sizes doesn't necessarily mean huge save files, since Minecraft world generation are based on random seeds. Only the changed parts of a world needs to be saved. On the PC version, the user changes are saved to the "region" subfolder. Deleting that folder will reset the world and remove any changes made by the player:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/The_Overworld#Technical_information

At any rate, it's pretty obvious that infinite worlds don't have infinite save file sizes.

Is there a good newbie's guide to Minecraft I can check out?

This seems like a good post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238843023&postcount=868

Top Bottom