• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Blizzard

Banned
Do you have to fight at night or can you simply hide ?
It sounds like I Am Legend so I am interested ;P.
You can hide, and in fact you almost certainly should. I'd say you typically end up huddling in the dark in a tiny dirt hut for the first night or two until you start establishing a base/house/castle/mine/wood source whatever.

ckohler

Also, once you get better established in the game, you can prevent monsters from ever getting near you by using torches/glowstone to light up the areas around your home at night. If areas are bright enough, monsters can't spawn there. They can only spawn in the dark a certain distance away from players.

Sanic

According to this video, this release is based on the 1.6.6 beta release of the game, yet in this thread the 1.0 release has been mentioned. Which is correct?

ckohler

According to this video, this release is based on the 1.6.6 beta release of the game, yet in this thread the 1.0 release has been mentioned. Which is correct?

It's 1.6.6 beta (I thought it was after beta but I was wrong). This was posted by 4J yesterday:

8tZOV.png

Borman

Like they said, the world isn't infinite at all. Its relatively large, but not 'Ill never find the limit' large. Plenty of room to build I guess

Alfredo

I'm excited for this. Minecraft runs only OKAY on my laptop. I'm looking forward to a consistent 60 FPS. Also, most of my friends are console gamers. Hopefully I can convince them to get this game and play with me.

I wonder if I can get a spare Xbox with Gold and just leave it on as a kind of "server" so people can come and join as they please. That'd be kinda neat, 'cause the community aspect is probably the most interesting part of Minecraft for me.

hitoshi

I'm excited for this. Minecraft runs only OKAY on my laptop. I'm looking forward to a consistent 60 FPS. Also, most of my friends are console gamers. Hopefully I can convince them to get this game and play with me.

I wonder if I can get a spare Xbox with Gold and just leave it on as a kind of "server" so people can come and join as they please. That'd be kinda neat, 'cause the community aspect is probably the most interesting part of Minecraft for me.

Only your friends can join your server, so that would be kinda pointless, sadly :\

mollipen

I probably just haven't been paying attention, but was it known that the game—right from the start—tells you how to make everything right in the interface? It's really, really weird given how much Minecraft has always been about discovery of those things.

ckohler

I probably just haven't been paying attention, but was it known that the game—right from the start—tells you how to make everything right in the interface? It's really, really weird given how much Minecraft has always been about discovery of those things.

Yes, that is a departure however I think the developer's reasoning makes perfect sense. For one, the "drag each material into a crafting bench square one piece at a time" interface would be way too tedious using a controller. Second, most PC players typically have the Minecraft wiki open in another window when they need to remember an item's recipe where that's not the case when someone is playing on the couch. So, this saves console gamers the effort of having to pause the game and walk over to their computer, look up a recipe, then walk back to their couch, etc.

Besides, there is still a LOT of stuff that you'll still have to discover on your own if you choose not to look it up online like how to craft a Nether portal, make redstone devices, each mob's unique behaviors, etc.

Will probably get it. I recently got a 12 month Live card with 800 monies as a gift, and I need to put them to good use. I'd love to try out split screen coop with my daughters.

Wow, that's one cool-ass trailer! It's difficult to imagine how to make a quick and informative trailer for Minecraft, but there it is.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, might buy this just for splitscreen. I have the PC version but i haven't played for ages for every frigging patch breaks the game. It just keeps crashing even with low graphics settings and updated Java.
Though before i buy this, i would love to have some idea when will the first patch arrive and is it just pc's 1.7 or if it will jump straight to 1.0.

ckohler

The guys who made the trailer illustrated a neat technique. If you want an overview of something you're building while you're building it, just plug another controller into your Xbox and use split-screen as a second camera.

Hmmm... Minecraft from the comfort of my bed with a wireless 360 controller. I might have to double dip. I'll wait and see how the framerate is and how "large" the generated worlds are first though.

Woorloog

Banned
The guys who made the trailer illustrated a neat technique. If you want an overview of something you're building while you're building it, just plug another controller into your Xbox and use split-screen as a second camera.

That's... genius. Really. Even while playing solo, having a second "player" adds some possibilities.
The more i think of this, the more i want to double dip.

Untracked

Trailer is awesome, really excited for this.

This might seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway. The trailer only shows 4 players on one full screen, then two 4 player split-screen games when it mentions "8 friends on Xbox Live".
Is it confirmed to work with 8 players, each on their own screens over Live?

Edit: Nevermind, it clearly shows 8 players on one screen for a second. I missed it. SWEET.

Woorloog

Banned

This might seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway. The trailer only shows 4 players on one full screen, then two 4 player split-screen games when it mentions "8 friends on Xbox Live".

Yeah, 8 invidual players over Live, if you wish. Very likely you can mix split screen and Live players as well, as long as the split screen players are Gold enabled or guests, if the game allows guests.

Orayn

Hmmm... Minecraft from the comfort of my bed with a wireless 360 controller. I might have to double dip. I'll wait and see how the framerate is and how "large" the generated worlds are first though.

I don't know what storage limitations Microsoft might impose on saved games for this, but the PC version's worlds are as large as you could ever want them to be. If you keep exploring, it keeps generating more world.

Untracked

Yeah, 8 invidual players over Live, if you wish. Very likely you can mix split screen and Live players as well, as long as the split screen players are Gold enabled or guests, if the game allows guests.
Thanks, actually the trailer shows 8 players on one screen at 0.50. I missed it. Doh!
This game is gonna take over my life :(

ckohler

It's been confirmed that it will work with any combination of player types. All the players could have their own screen if they wanted. The only limitations are the max of eight players per world and people joining over Xbox Live must be on your friends list.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't know what storage limitations Microsoft might impose on saved games for this, but the PC version's worlds are as large as you could ever want them to be. If you keep exploring, it keeps generating more world.

9 times the surface area of Earth is the PC Minecraft's world's maximum IIRC. But traveling mere 2% of that starts causing lag and other issues due to floating point errors. Even with later versions, AFAIK.
I doubt the Xbox version creates maps larger than one Earth or so but even that is more than enough. Should be, anyway. Hell, half-Earth should be enough.

Untracked

It's been confirmed that it will work with any combination of player types. All the players could have their own screen if they wanted. The only limitations are the max of eight players per world and people joining over Xbox Live must be on your friends list.
That's awesome, thanks.

Gowans

I wonder if we can have a GAF Minecraft 360 tag and invite people via friends of friends, my freinds list is choca.

I wonder if we can have a GAF Minecraft 360 tag and invite people via friends of friends, my freinds list is choca.

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully that works.

If not, I'm totally down for adding a few folks. I bet none of my friends are even getting this game haha.

Xater

I have to ay that seeing all the recipes in-game is kinda cool. That is actually something I don#t enjoy about Minecraft on the PC. Maybe I will get this.

Mudron

I'm buying (and playing) the hell out on Minecraft 360.

I'm 'Mister Aids' on XBLA - feel free to friend me up if anyone needs a digging/adventuring partner.

Alfredo

Only your friends can join your server, so that would be kinda pointless, sadly :\

Well, it'd still be cool if it was only people on your friends list, though costly. I just want to be able to come back to my world and see all the new stuff my friends have built, but that won't be possible if they can only join when I'm online, unless I just leave it on all the time.

Grinchy

Banned
I really think the 4-player split screen thing is amazing. For people who actually play local multiplayer with friends, this would be a hell of an experience. I'm jealous of the people who will get to pull that off.

Top Bottom