• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Breaks Digital Sales Records

If only someone created a service that gives you up to the minute tracking data and free updates whenever you want. Oh wait...

Edit: Beaten

Then why isn't Minecraft on that service?

When Notch said the game was profitable in the first hour, that gives you the reasons why he gets sales numbers sent to him up from MS. Minecraft is an established entity and they carry weight just like EA and Ubisoft carry weight when they make an XBLA game. No way they have to wait for sales updates.

Then why isn't Minecraft on that service?

When Notch said the game was profitable in the first hour, that gives you the reasons why he gets sales numbers sent to him up from MS. Minecraft is an established entity and they carry weight just like EA and Ubisoft carry weight when they make an XBLA game. No way they have to wait for sales updates.

He didn't get sales numbers, he got leaderboard figures, there was a misunderstanding.

Established entity carry weight, they do not wait. I'm going to try that on a first date sometime.

It also works when you negotiate a per copy royalty rate on physical software. See EA abandoning Dreamcast.

He didn't get sales numbers, he got leaderboard figures, there was a misunderstanding.

If that is the case that is pretty different. I do find it hard to believe that MS can't send this data to its partners via XBLA when they do just that on XBLIG with a 24-48 hour delay.

U2NUMB

What a stupid announcement to make with no sales figures. We already knew how many people were on the leaderboards.

So it is stupid to announce when a game is doing well? You do realize this is not for those that have bought the game but they want to pull more people into it.

Blizzard

Banned
It also works when you negotiate a per copy royalty rate on physical software. See EA abandoning Dreamcast.

If that is the case that is pretty different. I do find it hard to believe that MS can't send this data to its partners via XBLA when they do just that on XBLIG with a 24-48 hour delay.
That's what the Fez guy was complaining about on Twitter, I thought -- that it took him 3-6 months to get any sales data, or something like that.

SparkTR

Is it that much of a surprise? The game sold 6 million on PC despite not being on Steam. It's the rise of indie gaming embodied.

Rlan

The game's Leaderboards are kind of annoying for my analysis -- distance walked is actually split up between difficulty settings, which can be switched at any time from the title screen.

The games tutorial mode is set to easy, as is the games default, but the Tute is easily ignored altogether. Considering the split i'd say the Normal and Easy leaderboards put together would be reasonably close to the sales numbers, which as of now would be 750,000 players.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Maybe Fez's publisher is keeping the data from them and not Microsoft.
Fez' publisher is Microsoft.

They don't really treat anyone nicely. I know a man whose company worked with Microsoft on a project, and he said the (management) atmosphere was that they were all frenzied sharks trying to build on the broken backs of others.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Those exclusives are paying off for MS for sure.

Although with how Journey did, it's good times in the PSN/XBLA market in general. Sorry Nintendo.

It's weird how they've managed to lock up all these XBLA exclusives but dried up their retail first party/exclusive sources.

bengraven

The new tutorial for the 360 version is quite possibly the best improvement they could have made. Should have been added ages ago to the PC version.

I've been playing for over 2 years and it's weird for me to say, but: I really would like to play the tutorial.

Maybe the trial version has it. There's a trial version, right?

bengraven

Sweet. I'll have to check out the trial someday when I get my Xbox fixed.

Until then, I'll sit at my PC version and wish you guys could play together with us.

Alex

what happens if a patch bricks a console? Who should pay for it: the consumer, the developer or Microsoft.

Microsoft usually allows 1 free patch and then you pay after that.

I sure know I've lost about fifteen or twenty pcs over the years to evil patches that brick my systems.

XBLA might be the best platform this generation.

Totally agree. I could easily justify a 360 purchase without taking disc-based games into account.

Chuck PSN in the mix and the last two months or so has been fantastic. Trials Evolution, Journey, Fez, Motorstorm RC, Minecraft and The Walking Dead

The most interesting thing I've learned in this thread is that even guys like Polytron who sign exclusivity contracts with microsoft don't get to update their game for free.

This is seriously an industry leader we're talking about? What a joke.

Blizzard

Banned
A buyout?!? Notch would rather eat his hat. Notch loves his independence, I don't see that changing.
Yep. Notch had a personal visit to Valve and stayed with his own studio. I think making tons of money and able to do everything indepedently would be definitely worth it to me even if Microsoft somehow offered me some crazy sum of buyout money.

wwm0nkey

Going off of the last person on friends leaderboards this game has made $11 million. Obviously it has more people than 600k playing right now though.

Haunted

sour, but at the same time I can't blame MS. Notch has huge potential, I could actually see a buyout.

Imagine a new minecraft but with avatards running around, could be the microsoft version of home.
rofl

Never going to happen, Notch values his independence and since the Minecraft success has made him financially independent as well, there is no way he will ever let Mojang be sold as long as he is there.

Top Bottom