• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is kinda ugly compared to the timeless original.

SimTourist

It's weird because the technical aspects are obviously more advanced, but visually the game looks bland and boring. Compared to the OG Mirror's Edge that still looks fantastic owing to clean architecture, bright colors and varied locations, ME:C looks generic and same everywhere. Am I right or am I right?

Dazraell

I think Mirror's Edge lost a lot of uniqueness and charm with transition to semi-open world areas. It's simple and straightforward approach to level design was a huge advantage of the first game, and a lot of that was lost with change of Catalyst's gameplay loop

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought it was a huge disappointment graphically, artistically, storywise, gameplay, OST.

I haven't tried it since it came out though. I will give it a 2nd chance one of these days after I replay the original. But the original is known to be substantially better.

Melon Husk

You're right. It was clear at launch, but it had bigger problems like gameplay (related to level design) so nobody really focuses on it.
The original has focus and cohesion: a distinct art style, yet the city feels realistic. Catalyst is artificial and videogame-like.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It was graphically superior but aesthetically inferior.

The gameplay was improved, but the story, missions, and layout were a big step back. It just wasn't anywhere close to as fun to play as the original.

Last edited:
Talk about 2 steps forward, 10 steps backwards. Poor level design (that hub format just felt a lot more restrictive than the linear predecessor) and their attempt to put some definition in the environment just brutally assaults the eyes that tries to merge between the minimalist and the dense architecture.

I think Mirror's Edge lost a lot of uniqueness and charm with transition to semi-open world areas. It's simple and straightforward approach to level design was a huge advantage of the first game, and a lot of that was lost with change of Catalyst's gameplay loop
In the original interviews the devs went out of their way to mention that they deliberately didn't make the game open world because it would get too boring.

Toots

Gold Member
You decide op :

Mirrors edge ingame screenshot captured at 360p (the true ps3 internal resolution)
p0PBQDm.jpg

Mirrors edge catalyst in engine gameplay bullshots sent to me directly by EA :

B7JIQ5d.jpg

pC4dODS.jpg

Roberts

I did play the original a year ago or so - with res and fps boost it still looks wonderful on XSX and plays pretty good, too. Somehow never bothered to play Catalyst even though I think I have it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked the original a lot more. Catalyst was aimless. It tried to be more open, but it didn't fit the game structure. A more structured style like the OG was the much better direction.

skit_data

I can't really remember because it was quite a while ago since I last played both games but... I remember being in awe of the original, I played it quite a lot and have fond memories of my experience with it.
The second one I dropped quite quickly, it didn't leave the same impact at all.

Puscifer

It was really evident when the best levels were all linear. I honestly wonder why more games never took the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory approach by having levels be "areas" where you basically had to figure out how to get from point a to b on your own, that would've worked wonders for Mirrors Edge

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was really evident when the best levels were all linear. I honestly wonder why more games never took the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory approach by having levels be "areas" where you basically had to figure out how to get from point a to b on your own, that would've worked wonders for Mirrors Edge
They tried something, it didn't work. Not the end of the world, except they couldnt try something else later.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Loved both games, but don't remember the visuals being that much different. Granted I haven't played the original in awhile.

ME:C is the typical over-produced sequel with not specific idendity that followed a rough, focused, under-produced original. EA had a gem on their hand and blew it. ME as a franchise clicked with girls and had potential for a purely movement-based pro scene. Threw it all away of course. Great soundtracks, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom