• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge E3 2014 "Prototype Gameplay" trailer and DICE message

Disagree, if they had shown nothing there would be more outcry and people would be wondering if they decided to cancel it. This shows that they're onboard to make the game at the very least.
Oh they're definitely onboard to START making the game. :p

I just feel like an announcement trailer this year and proper gameplay next would have been much better than what they did. No game should ever be at 3 E3's (Lookin' at you too Halo 5).

MutFox

Banned
Like how they like the fighting to be quick, so you do 1 move and move on...
Wish more games were like that...

For me it would've made games such as the newer Prince or Persia games more to my liking...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Biggest dIsappointment of E3 so far, I really thought they would have at least something of the actual game to show by now. Oh well, next year then.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Goddamn. So, so goooood. One of my all-time favorites finally gets a sequel. Hopefully they don't cram-in always-online as the rumors went a few months back.

It looks like their focus is on the right things but I had really hoped to hear the magic words 'open world'... just seems like a good fit for this franchise. But I suppose tightly designed levels are more in line with the first installment.

At the moment it seems more like a remake than a sequel.

"We are redefining the role of the runners to allow for more varied gameplay."

Hmm, as long as it's all about traversal and momentum, I'm okay with that. Please don't turn the runners into ninja assassins...

Ferrio

Banned
It looks like their focus is on the right things but I had really hoped to hear the magic words 'open world'... just seems like a good fit for this franchise. But I suppose tightly designed levels are more in line with the first installment.

At the moment it seems more like a remake than a sequel.

"We are redefining the role of the runners to allow for more varied gameplay."

Hmm, as long as it's all about traversal and momentum, I'm okay with that. Please don't turn the runners into ninja assassins...

No guns either hopefully.

Adaren

Looks like they made pipe climbing better. By far the worst part of the first game...

I really like the dynamic depth of field in the combat.

No gunplay, and combat in motion compared to momentum stoppers in first game. Even in prototype footage, I'm happy they didn't fuck it up...yet :D

Mman235

Let's not pretend that mirror's edge was a hardcore challenging game. It had some stupid parts, but overall pretty easy game.

Just playing through the campaign isn't where the challenge comes into Mirror's Edge. Though for players who just want to do that I'd agree.

I'm glad they seem to be starting with the base of the first game and working from that rather than fucking it up into something completely different, and the small new interactions they showed look nice (like being able to turn around corners while wall-running).

Even the combat looked okay once they got away from the "badass" cinematic stuff and towards the moves that barely slowed Faith down. Hopefully you can rely entirely on the latter if you keep your momentum up and the finishing move stuff is only if you fuck up.

jett

D-Member
If this is truly all they can show then last year's trailer was most definitely total bollocks. I'm so cynical about EA I'm not entirely convinced this is actually coming one day. :p I need to see a real game to truly believe.

Salmonax

I will take more Mirror's Edge in whatever form. The focus on combat in the trailer is a little disconcerting, as it was easily the worst part of the original, but I'm psyched either way.

Blackage

Let's not pretend that mirror's edge was a hardcore challenging game. It had some stupid parts, but overall pretty easy game.

Is there a video of some youtube personality stuck on the first part of the game for like 30 minutes? lol.

TheFatOne

They lost me the moment they started talking about combat. Combat was by far the worst part of Mirrors Edge. I don't want any of it in the sequel. Completely misses the point of the game.
Should they have completely stripped out combat?

Yes. The game was never about combat.

wrowa

So, I assume that only a very, very small team at DICE is working on this game. A shame. At least they seem to be still working on the game and we're not looking forward to a new BG&E2.

Also, holy shit, those Twitch guys don't understand the meaning of "prototype footage", do they?

Some of that looked identical to levels in the old version and the gameplay seemed the same, although it looked like most enemies went down in either one kick or two punches.

A-V-B

Well, the movement still looks pretty good, but almost a little too fast on the rolls and stuff?

Still fully expecting them to disembowel the actual gameplay so that everything can be executed brainlessly.

Empty

it not dark souls but it has pretty complex (and unique! and brilliant) platforming mechanics and detailed level design with tons of nuances to it. it's easy to just enjoy but there's a lot to master if you really got into the meat of time trials.

both of these could be stripped out by rebooting it - to make it more like assassins creed which sells tons - which is a real fear but hopefully they won't. this video gives me more confidence than my default cynicsm towards anything with an ea logo.

A lot of what they showed in this preview has been knocking dudes out while maintaining momentum. That is perfectly acceptable and in line with the overall design philosophy.

Saying (seemingly optional) combat has absolutely no place in the game is an overreaction.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
LOVE this so far. I love how they're really nailing the feeling of controlling Faith's body as a projectile. We need really tight FPS Melee controls for this to work well. And I'm glad to see that seems their primary focus.

They have a nice group of people on this. I'm excited.

What's up with rehashing all these old games? If it's a recent title that was launched close to the next generation of consoles release (e.g. Last of Us) I can understand why but this game is years old give us a proper sequel dammit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They lost me the moment they started talking about combat. Combat was by far the worst part of Mirrors Edge. I don't want any of it in the sequel. Completely misses the point of the game.

The combat now looks like its just treating enemies as more running obstacles instead of making you stop and shoot them. That's a win for me.

Arion

What are the chances of a 60fps console release for this? With the simple clean aesthetic it should be possible, right?

Crayolan

Looks like they've improved the combat to be promote staying in constant motion. Hope we get some more gameplay later.

I'm happy with what they've shown so far; the freerunning traversal looks almost identical to the original (there was a new motion as well where the player swung around a corner on a pipe). The new Mirror's Edge is still by far the game that I'm looking forward to more than anything else.

Feorax

They really shouldn't have announced the game so early.

It's becoming worrying how little a lot of teams have to show between E3's. For a game at was announced last year, I'd expect at least a vertical slice of a level or something, not prototype gameplay.

I don't want FF XV/TLG to be the norm.

DR2K

Banned
Mirrors Edge needs to be more accessible. It doesn't mean that it'll be dumbed down, because there was huge room for improvement in that area.

Arion

I am fine with there being combat mechanics but they need to design the game so it is possible to do complete pacifist runs. If they manage that its perfect.

sublimit

Banned
I'm glad they seem to be starting with the base of the first game and working from that rather than fucking it up into something completely different, and the small new interactions they showed look nice (like being able to turn around corners while wall-running).

Yup i loved how they said they are building upon the moveset of the first game.Hopefully the core controls remain intact.

Now i feel a bit more "safe" to let myself start getting excited. :)

It's becoming worrying how little a lot of teams have to show between E3's. For a game at was announced last year, I'd expect at least a vertical slice of a level or something, not prototype gameplay.

I don't want FF XV/TLG to be the norm.
I kinda guess why Sony are delaying the reveal for a lot of their games then, they want to wow people with the reveals rather than something like this.

A lot of what they showed in this preview has been knocking dudes out while maintaining momentum. That is perfectly acceptable and in line with the overall design philosophy.

Saying (seemingly optional) combat has absolutely no place in the game is an overreaction.

Yes. Combat in Mirror's Edge should be a mix of Killing In Motion™ from Splinter Cell, and Mario Kart boost pads. Fast, elegant takedowns that keep you on the move.in between platforming maneuvers.

-BLITZ-

I wished they showed much more, it wouldn't not matter to me this time if I was watching a gameplay-footage from a level or a small part of the story rather than the glamours long presentations over EA gaming Sports. At least I got a glimpse of how ME2 looks and sure it does shows big improvement and it feels the difference from the first, most at design levels over characters & combat. It still seems to be in early stages of production so that might be the cause of such short presentation.

Sianos

I suppose it is honest to show what they actual have done as opposed to bullshot CGI trailers, but it still isn't exactly appealing. Still, Mirror's Edge 2 will be a concept and that makes me happy.

Feorax

I kinda guess why Sony are delaying the reveal for a lot of their games then, they want to wow people with the reveals rather than something like this.

And that's absolutely fine. Right now though, I really don't want to see something that was announced a year ago, but that I still might not be able to play for 18/24 months.

Top Bottom