• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto on story in Zelda BotW

Miyamoto is genius. I don't know how people can discredit him as I've seen done here the last few years. I think this is a cultural problem of disrespect and devaluation of older people and it needs to stop.

I think you're making quite a leap here. People have a lot of respect for elder Japanese visionaries and forerunners. Just look at Hayao Miyazaki.

People become immensely frustrated with Miyamoto because his point of view on games produces games that they aren't interested in playing. You can argue if this is Miyamoto's fault or not, but it's a perfectly valid and earnest seed for criticism.

Nairume

Banned
I think you're making quite a leap here. People have a lot of respect for elder Japanese visionaries and forerunners. Just look at Hayao Miyazaki.

People become immensely frustrated with Miyamoto because his point of view on games produces games that they aren't interested in playing. You can argue if this is Miyamoto's fault or not, but it's a perfectly valid and earnest seed for criticism.
There's a fine line between criticism and the way people act as if Miyamoto is the touch of death for a game now.

There absolutely is merit in discussing when Miyamoto has had ideas that were to the detriment of the game in question, but it's not conductive to discussion to just pretend that those are the only examples of things he's done in the past decade and ignore the positive input he's had on things.

Ghgghggh

Banned

Hey,

I totally agree with you, I may be jumping to quite a great conclusion. I'm biased, I just love and respect Miyamoto so much for everything he has done for gaming.

To me, he gets a free pass. A living legend. He can experiment all he wants from here on out and it doesn't diminish anything about his legacy for me. Therefore, I could never criticize him or accept the negative comments I read about him on here.

Yeah, uhuh, ok. The Paper Mario fan in me wants to do a hot take on this. But, this is just a safe reply from Miyamoto so whatever.

The problem is that people focuses on things that they perceive as miyamoto's fault but don't give him the credit with decisions that ultimately helped shape a great game, like a link between worlds and splatoon. Even now with breath of the wild and mario odyssey, where he is very open to the ideas of the teams and he is really trying to put younger people on the spotlight at nintendo. He is extremely crucial to these things. I think it's absolute unfair what i read about him here and it always come with a very mean way of expressing their feelings of frustration.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
It's easy to get down on Miyamoto thanks to things like Star Fox Zero and the Paper Mario stuff, but I think for the most part, he's still good at what he does. He's a good living mascot for the company, always a smiling face at events and enthusiastic to the last. I can forgive him for making poor design choices or lording his influence over others because I do think he cares about giving us gamers as many fun experiences as he can, even if they don't always hit. I think he at least deserves that much.

It's easy to get down on Miyamoto thanks to things like Star Fox Zero and the Paper Mario stuff, but I think for the most part, he's still good at what he does. He's a good living mascot for the company, always a smiling face at events and enthusiastic to the last. I can forgive him for making poor design choices or lording his influence over others because I do think he cares about giving us gamers as many fun experiences as he can, even if they don't always hit. I think he at least deserves that much.

He's the definition of a man past his prime. The old stuff he did was brilliant, but he clearly doesn't hit all the time anymore. Paper Mario has been a disaster. People need to stop treating him like gaming's Jesus Christ.

ryechu

He's the definition of a man past his prime. The old stuff he did was brilliant, but he clearly doesn't hit all the time anymore. Paper Mario has been a disaster. People need to stop treating him like gaming's Jesus Christ.

Not only did he play a large part in making Pikmin 3, he has said that he is proud of how the game turned out, and thinks its really fun improving your time in the campaign or mission mode. Ergo, he can't be all bad.

Falchion

I would prefer more story in Zelda games so the addition of voice work and expanded story in this one is great.

DVCY201

Cause so many developers today are just producing hit after hit after hit, am I right? Every game always has some questionable design choice that some may or may not agree with. It does not mean the developer is 'out of touch' or 'past their prime', just that it did not resonate with everyone, and that's fine

ECC

Eh - I think most people misunderstand the role(s) Miyamoto plays at Nintendo these days. Unlike most (all?) of the producers/directors at big N he has a track record, and now also a formal position that allows the company to task him with the type of projects nobody who is trying to build a career will be able to handle. Examples:
  • WiiU doesn't sell - Figure out a way to make the differentiating point important in Nintendo franchises;
  • The paper Mario franchise doesn't really live up to its potential. Given that it is not intended to be a full-fledged RPG experience (reclassified to action adventure I believe) please try to make it fulfill its potential

Tasks of this type: have an on average low success rate, are more or less career killers if you are not already very well established, and finally they are all projects that would not get that level of media exposure without a big name behind them.

Nintendo has already decided many of the details that people do not like in these games. You may not like it, but an analyst has had a look at the games portfolio and decided that Paper Mario cannot just be an RPG like the original - it needs to be a bit different to support a particular predecided games catalog profile. Then a developer gets tasked with solving this problem. Sure, Miyamoto also has some "free" or less restricted company time - that gets put towards other projects such as the Pikmin franchise.

The short version - sure I get not liking the products but I think a fair amount of people misunderstand both the role of Miyamoto, the kind of decisions he can and cannot make as well as portfolio planning in general.

Nairume

Banned
Paper Mario has been a disaster.
Yes, he made a bad suggestion for Sticker Star, but the fact that IntSys was able to turn things around with the same constraints in Color Splash and made a game that was generally liked suggests that maybe IntSys is a lot more responsible for what went wrong with it than people want to accept.

clemenx

Banned
Yes, he made a bad suggestion for Sticker Star, but the fact that IntSys was able to turn things around with the same constraints in Color Splash and made a game that was generally liked suggests that maybe IntSys is a lot more responsible for what went wrong with it than people want to accept.

Paper Mario just will never be seen in an objective manner until people get their TTYD2 which is a shame lol

I feel Miyamoto gets quoted out of context quote often, he's been debunking a few myths recently such as not liking story in games.

Top Bottom