• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: VR is one person putting on some goggles, playing by themselves in a corner

Considering Nintendo has been focused on encouraging group gaming and couch multiplayer, I understand where he's coming from.

Although VR does have some neat possibilities with multiplayer, we'll see how it goes down the road.

doofy102

I'm glad Nintendo will do its own thing. Gaming can head in directions other than VR. VR is crucial but I want to see what else is possible.

Oppo

I have said in the past that I thought Nintendo should go the AR, rather than VR, route. Maybe that's what he is alluding to.

Ansatz

You mean something like this? Everyone that has tried it in the Rift seems to think it works really, really well in VR.

Lucky's Tale gameplay on the Oculus Rift

Okay so you can shoehorn this tech into any style of design, but I don't see how this would add to the aspects I like in a game. It feels like this sort of thing is a tool for adding a new layer of exploration and increasing the immersion factor. The games I naturally associate VR with is No man's sky and Skyrim, games that are about exploring your surroundings and discovery.

The thing is when you add VR to Captain Toad as someone actually suggested, you ruin the entire point of the game. You are meant to have a specific and limited viewpoint at any given point in space, the puzzles are built with this fact in mind. I find games that take away player control of the camera more elegant, consider the original Resident Evil and how the game would be ruined with VR as it's designed to limit what players can see. While seeing Mario 3D World stages from a different perspective isn't game-breaking, but I personally don't see why you would want to play the game that way.

ido

Being in Europe it would have been quite difficult to try it. I will try it at Gamescom, probably.
Can you point me to some impressions, as I want to see what exactly impressed people, the way the game looked or the game played?

Well there are quite a lot of random impression videos posted on the oculus subreddit, if you want to search through. I'm obviously an enthusiast so I've watched as much as I can.

Here is a non-enthusiasts impression

But if you want, just search "Lucky's Tale impressions" ... I haven't really seen anything negative being said about it at all, actually. Surprisingly all glowing impressions.

You are stretching it now. Of course you can make everything a social interaction. I can sing alone in the shower and then go to a bar with friends and drink some beers and tell them about it. That doesn't make my singing a social interaction.

But they weren't there with you while you were singing, and your friends can easily hang out with you while trying different VR experiences. I don't see why it has to be limited to single player anti-social experiences is all. I think we can use our imaginations better than that.

Okay so you can shoehorn this tech into any style of design, but I don't see how this would add to the aspects I like in a game. It feels like this sort of thing is a tool for adding a new layer of exploration and increasing the immersion factor. The games I naturally associate VR with is No man's sky and Skyrim, games that are about exploring your surroundings and discovery.

The thing is when you add VR to Captain Toad as someone actually suggested, you ruin the entire point of the game. You are meant to have a specific viewpoint at any given point in space, the puzzles are built with this fact in mind. I find games that take away player control of the camera more elegant, consider the original Resident Evil and how the game would be ruined with VR as it's designed to limit what players can see. While seeing Mario 3D World stages from a different perspective isn't game-breaking, but I personally don't see why you would want to play the game that way.

Again, have you tried it? Have you tried VR at all for that matter? I think it's a bit unfair to be so dismissive of a platform that you have yet to experience. Impressions of Lucky's Tale have been, from everything that I have seen, all positive. It is also the first game officially being published by Oculus, and I think it's unfair to say they are shoehorning VR into this game, when the game was built specifically around VR. The developers tried many, many different approaches to making the third person experience fun.

I don't see why people are so dismissive about VR here, when the possibilities of where it can go are damn near limitless.

TRios Zen

I'm torn on VR precisely because I think it WILL work and provide a highly immersive experience. I also think that interactions amongst players would not mean that this is a purely individual experience.

However as a father and husband, it does seem like the experience does seclude you from those around you that are not playing. As my kids are young and the wife is not a gamer, the only time I could ever play would be at night and even then it would be hard for me to here or see if one of the kids was up/around for any reason.

I understand that my situation does not apply to everyone, but the very thing that excites me the most about VR (complete immersion) is the same thing that means I'm likely to not ever be able to really enjoy it.

Danlord

I can understand Miyamoto's stance on this currently. Nintendo's ethos around gaming is fun for all the family and friends, where everybody and anybody can jump in, play, and have fun, which wouldn't be the case with a VR headset.

Nintendo have spoken about their future console and handheld in that they're wanting a unified OS like how Apple phones and tablets all share the same operating system and an application can work across without much trouble, and that setup sounds like a natural and very fitting extension for how Nintendo operates, especially seeing how adaptable it is with the PS4 and Vita with cross-play and cross-buy,so I would imagine Nintendo would be working on the same functionality with their future products.

Nintendo have explored VR before, albeit in an incredibly limited affair with the Virtual Boy let down by a large number of factors, most importantly the technology limiting the scope. Surely Nintendo must have seen something inspirational for them to take a risk with VR, at least in theory that made them take this risk and whilst it ultimately failed really badly, surely there still must be something there that Nintendo have gone unexplored fully with in terms of VR that they couldn't do before with the Virtual Boy.

Occam

How can it be wrong if it feels so right?

reijpq.gif

drproton

Meanwhile Nintendo makes a console with only one gamepad and games like Splatoon designed to be played online with that singular gamepad.

How is playing a single player VR game with an HMD on different from doing the same thing with it off?

But that's the case. You can have interaction online, but VR is not going to be a device that you use when there's a group of people around. And online interaction is not the same as face to face interaction. So how is he wrong?

It's the reason why i'm not really interested in VR, no matter how good the technology is. It doesn't bring me the experience I'm looking for. It's the same for online gaming btw, I love gaming with a group of friends in the house (which is sadly aomething that happens very rarely now), but online just isn't half as interesting to me.

Of course that VR is mainly for solo players, I'm not saying that's not the case. What you all should understand is that the whole phrase "in a corner" is an absolute negative thing. It's not "if you like to play alone is okay", is more a "oh, you want to play VR? get away and go to that corner, freak". If that's something Miyamoto wasn't trying to say, he should've been more careful with his words, that's the point. It's language.

VR is mainly for solo player, it's a way of experience gaming, as it is party games, co op games, online games, etc. It's not an "antisocial only-on-your-corner" experience.

dcx4610

Nintendo being Nintendo. If they didn't invent it, they aren't interested.

For better or for worse, they are innovators and do not like to copy ideas. They have to be dragged kicking and screaming to adopt certain ideas and then try to put their own spin on it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well there are quite a lot of random impression videos posted on the oculus subreddit, if you want to search through. I'm obviously an enthusiast so I've watched as much as I can.

Here is a non-enthusiasts impression

You are not paying attention. I said that I wanted to get an Oculus Rift Devkit 2 but I just wait to buy first a better PC. I know what Oculus Rift is and does. I just didn't have the opportunity to experience it until now but I probably will at Gamescom, in August.

I was talking about the game specifically, as you said it got good impressions. Thanks for telling me to search for it. In the linked video when he talks about this specific game he says exactly what I say I dislike, you being the camera in a 3d platformer sounds terrible. Vertigo doesn't make it better.

andthebeatgoeson

If only there was a mechanism for people to play with one another which didn't require online at all. Like sitting next to one another for example.

Too many tears have been shed already.

Wait, maybe he means there is no online for Nintendo games. Did they take out online in Nintendo games? How did I play Luigi's Mansion this morning? I need to ly dow

Dragon

Banned
If only there was a mechanism for people to play with one another which didn't require online at all. Like sitting next to one another for example.

Are you really saying that the only acceptable multiplayer is local multiplayer? I'm asking because your condescending post seems to imply that.

BenouKat

Banned
I think that sums it up, really. :)

Yep, it sums up the high level stupidity of this debate. Gaming isn't something we HAVE to share with friends or family, gaming isn't something we HAVE to do it alone either. Because gaming isn't something it have to be something.

Gaming is just play something which procures you feelings : fun, lol-time moment but can also be challenge pressure, emotions, and helps your imagination to evolve into a world that the game brings.

I really don't understand why the gaming needs to be something "friendly", or something "hardcore", or something [insert here the way you love to play games]

Gaming is just a bunch of different feeling given by the game you play. Say thats there is only one good way to play games, or there is a bad way to play it, and you just completly fail to understand what gaming is.

ido

You are not paying attention. I said that I wanted to get an Oculus Rift Devkit 2 but I just wait to buy first a better PC. I know what Oculus Rift is and does. I just didn't have the opportunity to experience it until now but I probably will at Gamescom, in August.

Could you help me with what I'm not paying attention to? I'm glad you want to purchase a DK2, but that isn't really what I was responding to. I was replying to you when you said what type of games you prefer and how VR does not work with them(you were responding to another person giving an example of a game that does not work in VR). Your example, specifically, was Mario 3D World. I replied with Lucky's Tale, which is a third person platformer made specifically for VR. I don't see where I'm missing something?

If it's the social interaction thing, we may just have to agree to disagree. I feel like VR can be extremely social, and there is almost limitless possibilities with what we can do with it.

I was talking about the game specifically, as you said it got good impressions. Thanks for telling me to search for it. In the linked video when he talks about this specific game he says exactly what I say I dislike, you being the camera in a 3d platformer sounds terrible. Vertigo doesn't make it better.

It sounds terrible, but have you tried it yet? Could it possibly sound terrible to you, but since you have still yet to experience VR at all, still actually be good? I feel you are dismissing something without even trying it.

Easy for kids, much more difficult for us adults. My friends have jobs and families, and live quite far away. Getting a couch coop together is a very rare occurrence. Online play? A simple group text.

NathanS

I dislike, you being the camera in a 3d platformer sounds terrible. Vertigo doesn't make it better.

Really. I love platformers but am massively afraid of heights, the last thing I need when playing a game filled with mountains and bottomless pits is to feel like I'm actually flouting over those things! But then I also give zero shits about immersion and don't see what VR does for you know gameplay.

ido

Really. I love platformers but am massively afraid of heights, the last thing I need when playing a game filled with mountains and bottomless pits is to feel like I'm actually flouting over those things! But then I also give zero shits about immersion and don't see what VR does for you know gameplay.

Have you tried VR? If so, what specifically did you try?

I keep asking these questions because I don't think it's very fair to judge something like VR without actually having experienced it.

NathanS

Have you tried VR? If so, what specifically did you try?

I keep asking these questions because I don't think it's very fair to judge something like VR without actually having experienced it.

I have also never gone sky diving. i have judge it is not something I'm interested in. It's not my job to make me interested in VR, it's the people trying to sell VR's job to make me interested in it. They have not done so, much the same way I judge a movie based on it's trailer and selling points without having gone to see it.

VR people tell me it's great because it will be like "you're really there." I have negative interest in feeling like I'm "really there."

Architect

Neo Member
Should we add this to OP?

Nintendo NA EVP of Sales & Marketing on VR:

Scott Moffitt said:
"What I'd say is it's appealing technology," Moffitt said. "It's interesting. We're going to follow it closely to see where it goes. It's got a lot of advantages. It's got one disadvantage relative to what we know is often very fun for gamers, which is playing games socially in a living room. This is a very single player solitary gaming experience. Not all of our games are fun to play with multiple people in a living room in front of a game console but it doesn't lend itself to that kind of an experience as well as what Wii U does now. That would be a disadvantage of going in that direction. Could it be a nice addition to our hardware platform? Sure."

I completely disagree with him. Does Nintendo not know online multiplayer exists?

And yes, you can do local multiplayer VR as well.

ido

I have also never gone sky diving. i have judge it is not something I'm interested in. It's not my job to make me interested in VR, it's the people trying to sell VR's job to make me interested in it. They have not done so, much the same way I judge a movie based on it's trailer and selling points without having gone to see it.

VR people tell me it's great because it will be like "you're really there." I have negative interest in feeling like I'm "really there."

I can understand the reservations people may have with skydiving and not wanting to try it, but VR? There is no inherent risk to giving it a try, but you still want to write it off just because, on the outside looking in, it doesn't look like it will appeal to you? I mean, I guess that's fine if you're fine with it. I just think it sounds kind of like the kid who doesn't want to try his vegetables because they don't look tasty.

Did you ever think you might possibly be wrong and enjoy VR?

I'm not really trying to convince you to like it. Just to not dismiss it before actually giving it a go.

test_account

XP-39C²
VR ads to the enjoyment of the game for many people, and if people enjoy a game more because of VR, then that automatically ties into gameplay. By the way, when you play a game, there is always some level of immersion i'd say. You dont need VR to be immersed in a game. I guess you mean immersion in the sense of actually being in the game though, but i just had to mention it =)

NathanS

I can understand the reservations people may have with skydiving and not wanting to try it, but VR? There is no inherent risk to giving it a try, but you still want to write it off just because, on the outside looking in, it doesn't look like it will appeal to you? I mean, I guess that's fine if you're fine with it. I just think it sounds kind of like the kid who doesn't want to try his vegetables because they don't look tasty.

Did you ever think you might possibly be wrong and enjoy VR?

I'm not really trying to convince you to like it. Just to not dismiss it before actually giving it a go.

I am that big a coward that the idea of doing anything that makes me feel like I was in the line of fire or high up is out of the damn question. And it's not like its a nearby vegetable I can get for a buck. to try it I have to go to some special place which would involve a lot of planning and probably a plane ticket or fork over a lot of cash. Yeah it's the people selling VR job to give me a reason to bother with even trying it under those conditions and they haven't.

VR ads to the enjoyment of the game for many people, and if people enjoy a game more because of VR, then that automatically ties into gameplay.

No, no it doesn't. unless you have such a broad definition of gameplay as to render the word meaningless.It makes it part of the experience, yes, but it in no way relates to gameplay.

Top Bottom