• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK11 - Jacqui, Kotal Kahn, Noob Saibot, & Shang Tsung Revealed

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Jacqui and Kotal

Noob Saibot

Shang Tsung (DLC character, played by motherfucking Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa)

McCheese

All these designs seem very "No fun allowed". Any femme fatale characters have been turned into plain janes dressed for a funeral, and the outlandish ones (reptile, the robot ninjas etc) have been toned way back down or left out entirely.

Technically it's great, but man - looking at the roster there isn't anyone I want to main.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I am trying very hard to figure out why Kotal Khan is getting sliced and diced in his own reveal trailer.

I'm trying to give NetherRealm the benefit of the doubt here. I really am.

I am trying very hard to figure out why Kotal Khan is getting sliced and diced in his own reveal trailer.

Got defeated by Shao Kahn in the story mode footage they showed today as well. :messenger_smirking:

(19:10)

Last edited:

llien

All the female femme fatale characters have been turned into plain janes dressed for a funeral...

My thought. But hen, perhaps they are planning to sell that game en mass in Afghanistan and, perhaps, they expect Taliban to get back to power.

On the other side, exposure of, as Bender would state it, human internals, could also be a bit too infidelish, perhaps?
I mean, doesn't Talibanesque interpretation of Koran also forbid exposing women from inside?

Sub_Level

They are doing duo reveals as the game nears release. Cassie Cage and Kano was the same format.

brap

Banned

She's a stronk blak womyn of POC!!!

My thought. But hen, perhaps they are planning to sell that game en mass in Afghanistan and, perhaps, they expect Taliban to get back to power.

On the other side, exposure of, as Bender would state it, human internals, could also be a bit too infidelish, perhaps?
I mean, doesn't Talibanesque interpretation of Koran also forbid exposing women from inside?
Does that even matter? The middle east got the fucking One Piece hot springs mission unlike america :messenger_unamused:

Sub_Level

Does that even matter?

Nope but when has that stopped y'all from talking about burqas in every single MK11 thread. Thanks for the bumps.

large.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They are doing duo reveals as the game nears release. Cassie Cage and Kano was the same format.

No. It wasn't the same format. In her reveal trailer, Cassie Cage ends up diving Kano in two by kicking him in the balls.

She doesn't spend her whole reveal trailer being slaughtered like she was played by a noob playing against Daigo Umehara. That's what Kotal Khan's own trailer looks like, on the other hand. And it's just weird.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
If I were a game publisher and saw how badly Dead or Alive 6 just flopped pretty much everywhere, I'd be taking the same approach.

Aside from the fact that it performed better than DOA5LR pretty much everywhere, DOA6 was hindered because they tried to appease the wrong crowd and they kept saying they were reducing the sex appeal, not for the opposite reason.

Stuart360

So glad Shao Kahn is back, and i hope they haven't nerfed him. Watching him kick DSP's arse again will be sooo good.

iconmaster

Banned
it performed better than DOA5LR pretty much everywhere

I think you have to at least compare it to DOA5 proper, and not its second re-release.

and they kept saying they were reducing the sex appeal

That's a very fan-centric interpretation, though. Is a publisher likely to see it that way? I'd say no.

I don't want to derail this thread with a different game; I'm just offering some of the possible business perspective on MK.

Last edited:

God Enel

I loved the Jacqui Briggs fatality with the heart beating at the glass pane.

And absolutely love the noob saibot design and his fatality was cool, too.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
their*

It was Kano's reveal too and he got beat up like a bitch. Same thing is gonna happen to Dvorah probably, sorry to say. Noob Saibot is too cool for the duo revealformat, of course.

Sorry but that sounds like a bit of a lame excuse. It's also incorrect.

"Mortal Kombat 11 - Official Cassie Cage Reveal Trailer" I don't read "Kano" anywhere.

"Mortal Kombat 11 – Official Kotal Kahn Reveal Trailer" can't find any "Jacqui" either, not even in the description.

I think you have to at least compare it to DOA5 proper, and not its second re-release.

Should always compare it with the most recent entry, and it did more or less as well as vanilla DOA5 anyway.

That's a very fan-centric interpretation, though. Is a publisher likely to see it that way? I'd say no.

Oh, I'm quite sure they are. Having interviewed the Producer/Director multiple times, it has been very easy to notice that they're very aware that they botched the messaging, and not in the "we should make the game less sexy" way.

They tried to appease the wrong crowd and it bit them in the rear. It's unlikely to happen again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom