• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB '08 Screenshots(PS3)

Zep

Banned
mlb-08-the-show-20071218071423475.jpg

mlb-08-the-show-20071218071419037.jpg

mlb-08-the-show-20071218071421287.jpg

mlb-08-the-show-20071218071425787.jpg

jmd494

Corran Horn said:
maybe its time for me to get this one instead of 2k8
In their latest Podcast Beyond, IGN was going on and on and on about how much this year's iteration will be improved over last years.

kbear

Someone need to post the other pics from several days ago.. they're even better. I can't find that thread

Oneself

If the animation is good and if it runs @ 60fps .... it's gonna look incredibly awesome. Also, I don't like baseball.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
That really doesn't look like Curtis Granderson at all...

Too muscular, skin is too light and batting stance is all wrong.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm not even an MLB fan, but the game looks very "clean." I like it.
Will it be running @ 60fps?

Kittonwy

Banned
The HDR addition is pretty huge, makes a big difference in visuals. For MLB fans on PS3 there's no reason to pick up 2K now that Teh show looks good AND plays well.
Indifferent2.gif

Dez

Kittonwy said:
The HDR addition is pretty huge, makes a big difference in visuals. For MLB fans on PS3 there's no reason to pick up 2K now that Teh show looks good AND plays well.
Indifferent2.gif

It depends on whether they fix the online issues. To me, 2k7 was better than The Show 07 just because of the solid online play.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Best part, just the right touch of bloom/hdr/whatever the kids call it these days.

Gawd when will the people condense the nonsense with that crap.

Shinraven

day 1 buy~!~ i play mlb06 every day on my psp. I cant wait to hear the fantastic announcing trio.

2k8 will have some serious challenge....mlb08 will still be better.

oatmeal

Banned
I recently picked up a PS3 and I have and love MLB2K7. There are a lot of flaws in the game that take away from it, but the presentation is so nice that it makes the game more fun...if that makes sense. It just feels like a broadcast at points...especially the pitching, which is my favorite part.

Anyhoo, never having played the The Show but hearing that it's so good, I'm torn between these two.

I think 2K will have the graphics edge, but 08 will play better? Hmm...I don't know, I'm glad that this year I have a choice though.

BTW, Ortiz has been dieting!

Dez said:
It depends on whether they fix the online issues.

They actually did fix the online issues. Granted it took several patches and by the time everything got ironed out the playoffs were starting. :lol But it bodes well for '08 at least.

Anyway nice to see the new coat of paint. Lighting looks like it finally has some much needed depth to it and the textures seem improved all around. San Diego never excelled in the graphics department on PS2, so I'm not sure why some folks expected them to crank out a stunner even on PS3 hardware. The fact that the best baseball sim on the market is looking relatively competent visually is gravy in my book. ;)

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
This new release sounds incredible. Hats off to the people making this game, they know what they're doing.

Just wow.

• New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond, MLB 08 THE SHOW features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone, and it’s up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high, low, or giving the corners.

• Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection, a pitcher’s “pitch comfort” will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It’s up the gamer to decide if they should try to “work on a pitch” or just go with what’s working. The more a player works on a pitch, the better it becomes, and the more a gamer neglects a pitch, the harder it becomes to work the zone.

• Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.

• Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer’s ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer’s hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.

• Pitch Grips – Adding ore authenticity, MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball, Two-Seam Fastball, Cut Fastball, Split-Fingered Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Sinker, Slurve, Change-Up, Circle Change, Knuckleball, Palmball, Forkball, Knuckle-Curve, Screwball, 10-4 Curve, 12-6 Curve & Gyro).

• Road to The Show 2.0 – To deliver the closest experience possible, next to actually trying to make it in the Majors, MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues, playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player’s perspective, a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now, advancement goals related to the player’s attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player’s attribute level and statistical performance. Also, Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player’s current seasons’ statistics. Additionally, custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player, gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning, catchers will occur more defense situations, and pitcher’s will now experience mound visits with user interaction – all making Road to The Show mode even more realistic.

• Progressive Batting Performance – Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter, the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his “natural ability” while under user control. Conversely, the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his “natural ability”.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2007/mlb-08-the-show-details-and-first-screenshots

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I loved the last one, and the new features make this an instant day one purchase.

Torgo

oatmeal said:
I recently picked up a PS3 and I have and love MLB2K7. There are a lot of flaws in the game that take away from it, but the presentation is so nice that it makes the game more fun...if that makes sense. It just feels like a broadcast at points...especially the pitching, which is my favorite part.

Anyhoo, never having played the The Show but hearing that it's so good, I'm torn between these two.

I think 2K will have the graphics edge, but 08 will play better? Hmm...I don't know, I'm glad that this year I have a choice though.

BTW, Ortiz has been dieting!

2k7 on PS3 was pretty broken, especially when compared to the 360 version. MLB 07: The Show is awesome though. I still play the PS3 and PSP versions heavily. But now, you may as well wait for the '08 versions, unless you can find it used for the cheap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As long as the gameplay turns out as well as expected, this will be my first pro baseball game in about five years.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
9.jpg

As a Yankee fan, why is A-Rod's number on the front. Is there a uni change I'm not aware of?

Agent Icebeezy said:
9.jpg

As a Yankee fan, why is A-Rod's number on the front. Is there a uni change I'm not aware of?

Early screenies. The development team has already confirmed (Operation Sports) that the numbers are OFF the front of the jerseys in the latest build.

Mrbob

Looks amazing.

Glad I have a PS3. :D

Road to the Show mode in MLB 07 is so addicting. RttS 2.0 sounds so much better too. :D Will Wasabi play any other game now??!?!? ;)

The beauty of one of the new features in RTTS, is while on the basepaths, you will need to look at the 3rd base coach to get your instructions. The developer stated over at operation sports, on lower difficulty a pop screen will show up and teach you steal signals ect... but on higher difficulties, you need to know the signal and act accordingly.

This mode alone as well as manage only mode is why this feature rich monster is awesome.

Sylar

Banned
The thing I loved about MLB2K7 was that almost every pitcher had a unique delivery style and it looked AMAZING. Did MLB 07 have this?

Man, now I wish I bought a PS3 yesterday! :lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I got a chance to play this last week at a Sony event in NY. This game is fantastic. It's still alpha, and not beta -- at least the build I played was. Flawless framerate. They had 2008 and 2007 sitting side by side using the exact same TV setup - the difference between both was night and day!

The crazy thing was that the player models have actually remained the same, and only their faces have been updated, in addition to their eyes remodeled to prevent zombie-gazing. The biggest improvements are texturing and lighting. The color palette is a lot more focused on full fledged photo-realism, which was pretty obvious when comparing both games side-by-side. On top of that, there's now an ability to save in the middle of a game, and power down the system - brilliant.

Gameplay mechanics have remained largely the same, but with a few changes here and there. They're nothing that make the game more forgiving or easy - simply logical fixes or adds. Really just a fantastic game of baseball...2K8 has sooo much catching up to do it's scary.

Agent Icebeezy said:
[A-Rod Pic] As a Yankee fan, why is A-Rod's number on the front. Is there a uni change I'm not aware of?

That's been fixed.

Fatalah

AlphaSnake said:
Gameplay mechanics have remained largely the same, but with a few changes here and there. They're nothing that make the game more forgiving or easy - simply logical fixes or adds. Really just a fantastic game of baseball...2K8 has sooo much catching up to do it's scary.

Alpha, any chance you've got the inside scoop on 2K8? I read Brinkman's interview at IGN-PS3 and things sounded really promising.

They re-wrote all the hitting code
Re-did fielding altogether
Fixed running the base paths.
Made the game 60fps
Revamped presentation, menus, and camera angles.

Those were all my main issues! Oh yeah, and it's all running at 60fps! The biggest issue of all!

Top Bottom