• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Allforce

Just the principle of it. Online stores update quickly and places that do special midnight releases tend to have their shit together. PSN had been inconsistent forever. Simple as that. Why do we even know Grace Chen's name? She doesn't make games. She doesn't do pr. Why is her name even known other than she sucks at her job?

I'm not irate, as I'm not looking for a refund or anything. I'll queue it from work. However, it's very disappointing how flakey the store is after all these years. It has to do one thing first and foremost, deliver games and demos to the gaming machines connected to it. They can't get that working reliably. This is since the ps3 launch. Not sure that can be excused. PEACE.

EDIT: This is about communication with the customer. Establishment of some reliable policy the customer can trust. Set a date or time for weekly releases, and deviation/hiccups can have a little psa or something on the site. It's not like their servers are great at handling impatient clicker traffic.

Oh I agree 100% with your post, I just feel that people who are upset about it being late aren't going to help matters in the future by running out and buying a physical copy and giving MORE money to Sony.

If you're already in for the digital pre-order, yes it sucks it's late and not up when they advertised it would be. However take this a lesson learned, wait for them to get their shit together and download the copy of MLB you already paid for, then vote with your wallet and never pre order another digital title again.

Saganator

Its pathetic that a simple baseball game (AND A FIRST PARTY TITLE) is unplayable online. what a joke...

Actually, I imagine netcode for a baseball game isn't that simple. The devs have said they aren't happy with online. They totally scraped the old netcode and The Show '14 has totally new netcode. They haven't perfected it, obviously, but I think they're on the right track. From what I understand, they moved away from P2P to a dedicated server system, which should help everything stay synched up.

Dunkers92

Man, Sony really screwed this up in the US, feel bad for you guys.

I'm looking forward to being able to download it tomorrow on EU PSN. Don't follow baseball that closely but enjoyed the previous Show games I got.

Saganator

It's a fuckin damn shame this still isn't working online. Was hoping the ps4 wouldn't have the same issues the ps3 has :(

Isn't it a little early to say the online flat out doesn't work? At least give them some time to work on things. The dev stream I watched the other night said there is a team working on a patch to improve online as we speak.

oatmeal

Banned
I think I'm most bummed out by the load times for the game. I watched a lot of official streams last night and man, I think they're worse than PS3

v1lla21

So I came to BestBuy to get a copy and the cashier tried to tell me that they are sold out of copies for the game -_- they've been open for 7 minutes. Another cashier told me to wait. They'll see if it's in the back.

Actually, I imagine netcode for a baseball game isn't that simple. The devs have said they aren't happy with online. They totally scraped the old netcode and The Show '14 has totally new netcode. They haven't perfected it, obviously, but I think they're on the right track. From what I understand, they moved away from P2P to a dedicated server system, which should help everything stay synched up.

it should be simple compared to hockey, FPS games (battlefield), and many other games. I was playing baseball head to head with a modem back in 1992. (2400 baud too), yeah it didnt play perfect, but this is unacceptable man.

RGVNOE

well I just called sony and they said to be sure and not to even start downloading today if you want a refund, and just call back tomorrow and they should be able to refund then

ViciousDS

Banned
It's bullshit to say the least. I thought I'd get a game in on my lunch break .. nope.. the install out lasted the hour I had

that's how NBA 2K was dude.......sports game require all assets basically to fully play..........otherwise they could do it like the NBA Live game which sucked......and when you click on something you want it installs it right there.

Patience dude holy fuck.

Dysun

Sucks to hear about the load times, I expected those to be minimized greatly. Long ass load times in sports games are a staple of the genre

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Again, don't be surprised about the quality of online play. A dev streaming last night admitted the online is broken.

oatmeal

Banned
If this were happening with Microsoft, there would be non-stop threads and articles headlining every gaming site.

oatmeal

Banned
As it often is with these sorts of things, I think the second go around on the PS4 is gonna do wonders for the game.

Last night, Ramone was on Twitch answering questions (he was answering download questions sporadically until a nasty Sony email came his way and it shut him up). Someone asked if the leap will be as big as 07 to 08 was. He smiled and said "Yup".

So they must already be seeing improvements.

that's how NBA 2K was dude.......sports game require all assets basically to fully play..........otherwise they could do it like the NBA Live game which sucked......and when you click on something you want it installs it right there.

Patience dude holy fuck.

Patience?? I don't think I've ever had to wait an hour+ for anything to install before.. 10-20 mins sure, but an hour+??

VoxPop

About to dip on the PSN digital version. Out of curiousity, is this another shitty port with less features and prettier graphics like NBA 2K was or is it a perfect shinier port?

oatmeal

Banned
This whole situation is so fucked.

Last night during a dev Twitch feed, someone was trolling saying "Just heard it won't be up until 6AM PST"...that seemed like an absolutely ridiculous worst case scenario.

Now...not so much.

About to dip on the PSN digital version. Out of curiousity, is this another shitty port with less features and prettier graphics like NBA 2K was or is it a perfect shinier port?

Huahauhaahuuahahu

dev was surprising forthcoming on his stream. i don't think too many would admit to their online being broken

Nick was a really cool guy, enjoyed watching his stream. Showed off his copy of Forza 5 and talked a bit about his Xbone, and discussed how he feels about EA sports games (praised NHL, trashed them for forcing out 2K Football)

I think my expectations for this game were too high. Maybe because I remember the game blowing me away when i first played it on ps3.

Still, can't believe the online is still broken. What a fucking joke that is. We're paying for online play, it should atleast work in a first party game.

I think my expectations for this game were too high. Maybe because I remember the game blowing me away when i first played it on ps3.

Still, can't believe the online is still broken. What a fucking joke that is. We're paying for online play, it should atleast work in a first party game.

That's exactly how I feel. While there is no denying it's a nice looking game, I just expected more. Also, I thought the days of awful framerate during the cutscenes would be over, but they might be worse. In addition, the long hair looks ridiculous. The online situation is unacceptable, period

shwimpy

That's exactly how I feel. While there is no denying it's a nice looking game, I just expected more. Also, I thought the days of awful framerate during the cutscenes would be over, but they might be worse. In addition, the long hair looks ridiculous. The online situation is unacceptable, period
did you finish installing the game to the harddrive? might be the reason for the hitchy framerate during cutscenes.

Top Bottom