• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

shwimpy

Thank you for purchasing MLB® 14 THE SHOW™ for the PS4™ system. Unfortunately, the game was not available for download on the expected playable date and time. The issue has since been resolved and the game is now available for download on PlayStation®Store.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty and to apologize for any inconvenience, we've provided you with a $5.00 voucher code which can be added to your PSN wallet, and a voucher code for 6,000 Stubs, ($4.99 value), which can be used as in-game currency within MLB 14 The Show.
Thanks Good Guy Sony!

SRTtoZ

Is anyone else not getting vibration on the DS4 unless they turn off their controller in game and turn it back on?

So torn, bought MLB13 last year and didn't play it much (as I was pretty busy and I'm very easily distracted) but now I'm sorely tempted to spring for MLB14 as I have a PS4. I guess I can trade MLB13 in and get a little back, at least. It just looks so awesome, and I've been loving watching the streams.

JohngPR

The last year I played this series was MLB 12, and you know, I don't like the changes they made to the way guessing pitches works. Used to be that it would tell you whether or not you guessed right while the pitcher is winding up to throw the pitch. This worked great for me since I could then concentrate on what kind of pitch was thrown since I already knew the location and vice versa with guessing the type of pitch thrown.

Now it tells you whether you guessed correctly while the ball is already on the way to the plate which is less than helpful since by then you are already committing to what's being thrown. It feels like the time you have to react to what's being thrown and the game telling you you guessed correctly is way too narrow now.

I do realize that doing it this way is more realistic since you wouldn't know you guessed correctly IRL until the ball was thrown, but that doesn't make it good videoogame baseball, simulation or not.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Anyone else sign Nelson Cruz right away in their franchise? He seems pretty good to be an available free agent.

He's a FA? He should be on the Orioles.

Speaking of rosters... what's the site to download the rosters instead of using the one the game uses because they are bunk. I don't know how this game doesn't have Jon Singleton...

Now it tells you whether you guessed correctly while the ball is already on the way to the plate which is less than helpful since by then you are already committing to what's being thrown. It feels like the time you have to react to what's being thrown and the game telling you you guessed correctly is way too narrow now.

Agreed. Also, it messes me up sometimes. Sometimes I'm not expecting a red flash and beep noise, which messes up my concentration. What's supposed to be helpful is a hindrance for me.

Strider

He's a FA? He should be on the Orioles.

Speaking of rosters... what's the site to download the rosters instead of using the one the game uses because they are bunk. I don't know how this game doesn't have Jon Singleton...

If a player hasn't played in an MLB game then the devs can't add them to the official roster.

oatmeal

Banned
I grabbed the screenshot below of the Skydome/Rogers Centre during one of the stadium shots before a game started. I shared it to my facebook wall and got a lot of people remarking to me how at first glance they thought it was a real picture

fNECTUk.jpg

Is that the PS3 version?

I got promoted to AAA and I wasn't really ready yet...I only had like 6 starts in AA, but I was dominating (4-0, 38 IP, 50 K's, 1.20 ERA). First start in AAA? Separated shoulder, missed 60 games.

Bleh.

graywolf323

I just got an email apologizing for the game not being up on time (I preordered digitally) and as an apology Sony gave me a $5 PSN code and $5 worth of in game currency

that was pretty nice of them actually

oatmeal

Banned
I just got an email apologizing for the game not being up on time (I preordered digitally) and as an apology Sony gave me a $5 PSN code and $5 worth of in game currency

Goddamnit, I hope I get this too. I pre-ordered months ago and was there minute one crying with everyone else. I didn't complain to anyone publicly though :(

SRTtoZ

Nice, just beat the Orioles 10-0 as the Yankees, Beltran with 3 HR's and then I turn on the real Yankee game and its 5-0 in the first inning. Sweet.

Oh also, fuck Chris Davis. Dude was hitting HR's all over the place the first 2 games so much that I just pitched around him in the last game I won.

Is anyone else not getting vibration on the DS4 unless they turn off their controller in game and turn it back on?

The same it started happening with FW 1.70.

How to fix temporarily

Connect the PS4 to the DS4 via USB

Start your Game, once it loads.

Go to the Home screen
Go to settings
Select Devices
Select Controller
Deslect Vibration Box and then ReSelect it

Now the Vibration will work, wired or wireless.

abrack08

So in RTTS, does your first game determine your potential or something? I was playing Remote Play SP RTTS on the Vita, and I'm playing the 3 games that determine where you get drafted or whatever. Before game 1, potential is a C. Game 1, I give up 2 runs in the three innings it lets me pitch, potential goes down to D. Game 2, 4 runs, Game 3 1 run. Obviously my potential doesn't go up, stays at D. I enter the draft, get picked by the White Sox in the 6th round. Decide to go back to school to improve my draft stock. Second year, after training to improve my player a bit, I give up 2 runs over the 9 total innings it lets me pitch. Still D potential, drafted even LATER in the 6th round by the Angels. Go back to school for 2 more years, use the extra training points it gives me, give up 0 earned runs and like 4 hits over the three games and I'm STILL a D potential and still picked in the 6th round. What's the point of going back to school if you can't raise your draft stock or potential rating?

SRTtoZ

So Jeter just hit a HR in real life and the crowd went pretty nuts in Anaheim which is pretty cool. One of the little touches in this game which is very nice is when Jeter comes to bat in away stadiums he gets a standing ovation. Really cool.

Allforce

Can someone break down how the "Guess Pitch" function works? I am constantly guessing the pitch AND the location, and sometimes I *think* I get it, because the zone I picked lights up in red and the controller vibrates like crazy.

So I get all excited I'm set up for a meatball and the guy will throw some garbage pitch 3 feet high or in the dirt! Ugh.

I'm playing on Dynamic difficulty and batting is on "Timing". I think I'm currently on Rookie because I'm terrible so far.

abrack08

Ah I did not know that.

I thought they had some deal with MiLB for the players as well, so that would explain it!

Nope, can't use any MiLB (or foreign) players until they play a game in the majors. A few years ago Yu Darvish had to be added to the Rangers in a roster update after the season started. If you go into the Roster Vault on the main menu and sort by # of downloads, the first roster should be OSFM, which is a community made roster over on Operation Sports that has all the correct minor league players for each team.

Korezo

Can someone break down how the "Guess Pitch" function works? I am constantly guessing the pitch AND the location, and sometimes I *think* I get it, because the zone I picked lights up in red and the controller vibrates like crazy.

So I get all excited I'm set up for a meatball and the guy will throw some garbage pitch 3 feet high or in the dirt! Ugh.

I'm playing on Dynamic difficulty and batting is on "Timing". I think I'm currently on Rookie because I'm terrible so far.

It just tells you the pitch and location the ball will travel. So if you guess high it can be stike high or ball high, the ball can go anywhere in that high location. You still have to determine whether it will be ball or strike when you swing.

Recieved the same. I didnt feel I deserved as I was actually very impressed with the speed the game downloaded once it was posted.

I qued it up from work and by the time I got home I could play most of the modes. The play as you download is pretty cool.

Like mentioned, you can guess what pitch and location it'll be but that doesn't mean it's a bad pitch or even a strike. Even if you get solid contact there's no guarantee of getting a hit.

Strider

Got my fantasy draft done and completed the first game. Lost 5-3 opening day :(

Here was my opening day lineup.

LF Billy Hamilton
CF Austin Jackson
RF Giancarlo Stanton
C Buster Posey
3B Manny Machado
1B Jose Abreu
2B Donovan Solano
SS Francisco Lindor
P Chris Sale

Austin Jackson hit a 2 run HR to tie it up at 3 in the bottom of the 8th and I turned around and gave up 2 runs in the top of the 9th. Feels bad man.

Strider

Anyone got any tips on stealing bases? I always get picked off damn it!

The extra step when leading off isn't necessary. Just watch the pitchers step and see if he moves quickly or not. The slower the better. Also increase your chances by trying to attempt steals when the pitcher is more likely to throw an off speed pitch.

Edit: Wait. is this RTTS? If so disregard everything I said lol

sqwarlock

Guess pitch has never been as satisfying as the MVP Baseball 2005 "glowing ball" system. Maybe it made the game too easy, but there was something so cool about it.

Jrmint

So I just tried pure analog hitting after watching it in a stream.

I think this is my new favorite hitting mode. It feels much more interactive and it's also better for getting your timing down and not swinging at bad pitches. For some reason it feels easier to not push forward as opposed to not pushing x.

I find it amusing that it's 2014 and they still won't take pitchers out of the game with an injury despite them getting completely blasted by line drives.

Yet tonight, I dove for a ground ball with Adam LaRoche. The ball bounced up and hit him in the face. He left the game with a broken nose.

Anyone got any tips on stealing bases? I always get picked off damn it!

If it's RTTS, always lean back towards the bag until you take off. If your issue is getting picked off you'll automatically slide back in time. If you're getting thrown out you just have to time your takeoff better. You can make it without a lead as long as you get a good jump. I suck at stealing though. Not getting picked off though, the man.

Sean*O

To what extent are microtransactions or in game purchases necessary in this game? Is it possible to just pick any major league team and play a game against another team of your choice? Are there game modes or players that are off limits or do you need to pay to level up or access certain stadiums?

Im all over this game if everything is open and you can jump right in, but if it's like NBA2K14 then that's a turn off for me.

Thanks!

Top Bottom