• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Frankman said:
I wonder if he can hit well enough to think about him as an occasional #2 hitter.
He's a 2nd baseman. I thought the 2nd baseman always hit 2nd in the order? At least that's Gardenhire's philosophy.

CajoleJuice said:
Sounds like Jerryball. 1st baseman has to always hit 4th, too.
Remember the night early last year when Frank Cattalanotto batted cleanup? THE CAT WAS ACTUALLY HITTING CLEANUP! AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH!!

I'm not sure what's more egregious:

a) Jeff Francoeur hitting 5th (I think he was hot at the time)
b) Gary Matthews Jr. hitting 6th.
c) Angel Pagan hitting 8th (he was hitting .303 and hot also)
d) Cattalanotto hitting cleanup

and of course, your favorite player 2B Alex Cora hitting 2nd. :D

The Frankman said:

Mike Jacobs batted cleanup a few times while he was in his slump.

Ruben Amaro Jr. finally acknowledged the obvious. Chase Utley will start yr on DL b/c "he hasn't seen field yet & we're week away" #espnst
http://twitter.com/jaysonst

Well, it's official that Utley starts the season on the DL. I bet he doesn't play more than 50 games this season. His knee problem sounds like it has made absolutely no progress whatsoever.

And from what I have read, the only reason Utley hasn't already gone under the knife is because the doctors don't know if surgery would actually fix the problem.

Maxim726X said:
In an age where everyone watches their every word, it's refreshing to see someone say what's on their mind.

BTW, Epstein is one of the best GMs in baseball, in my opinion. Not only do they have money, but they're stacked in the minor leagues too. I'm hoping he'll want Reyes by the middle of the season and will be willing to part with some pitching talent...
Red Sox's #1 prospect, Jose Iglesias, happens to be the best defensive shortstop in the minors (well, either him or Andrelton Simmons of the Braves) and should be ready for the majors by either the middle of this season or the beginning of 2012. I am not sure they'd have any interest in Reyes.

I'd bet the clubs with the most interest in Reyes at the trade deadline would be the Brewers, Twins, Tigers, Giants and possibly the Yankees IMO. I'd rank the teams with the most likely interest in that order, actually. Reyes to Brewers in July could make a whole lot of sense.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Maxwell House said:
I'd bet the clubs with the most interest in Reyes at the trade deadline would be the Brewers, Twins, Tigers, Giants and possibly the Yankees IMO. I'd rank the teams with the most likely interest in that order, actually. Reyes to Brewers in July could make a whole lot of sense.
I'm hoping that if Casilla is poor this season that the Twins would make a run at Reyes. If they could get him without giving up too much in the way of prospects, I would be way on board with that, especially if they could lock him up for a few more years.

The Twins have zero starter-quality SS in the upper minors, and most of the players in the lower minors who are SS are projected to be moved to another position (Niko Goodrum, Miguel Sano) long before they're ready for the majors. This is why I'm still super bent out of shape at the Hardy trade. Casilla just has to play average defense and show SOME life with the bat since he's hitting 9th, but Hardy was an elite defender and losing that sucks.

nocode

I'm gonna go ahead and predict that the Mets hold on to Reyes. They lose all the other big contracts, but they keep that there reyhas kid at ss in Flushing right where he belongs. Fuck all you naysayers. When Reyes is playing well, the Mets win ballgames. I forget the stat, but when Reyes scores the first run for them, their winning percentage is sky high. Frankman or someone, can you back me up with some of your stat talk?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Also won't be shocked if the Braves take a look at him. SS might end up being our weakest position this year. Mets will want a fortune from us though.

And I guess I forgot to give my opinion on Beachy winning the 5th spot. For the record: Meh. It's just like how they called up Meds a few weeks before Hanson a couple years ago. Minor will be where he belongs soon enough.

MC Safety

The Frankman said:

The worst was when Manuel was interviewed after a loss and would giggle.

nocode said:
I'm gonna go ahead and predict that the Mets hold on to Reyes. They lose all the other big contracts, but they keep that there reyhas kid at ss in Flushing right where he belongs. Fuck all you naysayers. When Reyes is playing well, the Mets win ballgames. I forget the stat, but when Reyes scores the first run for them, their winning percentage is sky high. Frankman or someone, can you back me up with some of your stat talk?
Thing about that stat is that it means both Reyes and someone else hit him in, most likely. Which means the Mets are winning when Reyes AND other guys in the lineup are hitting. I tried to do a small study on this, comparing Reyes to Wright, though. It did seem like the team came and went with Reyes a tiny bit more.
Also won't be shocked if the Braves take a look at him. SS might end up being our weakest position this year.
Still loling at that trade last year.

nocode

CajoleJuice said:
Thing about that stat is that it means both Reyes and someone else hit him in, most likely. Which means the Mets are winning when Reyes AND other guys in the lineup are hitting. I tried to do a small study on this, comparing Reyes to Wright, though. It did seem like the team came and went with Reyes a tiny bit more.

Still loling at that trade last year.

Well, yeah, Reyes wasn't hitting HR's every ab. Of course someone else has to bat him in. When he is healthy, he moves himself over though, and puts himself in scoring position. He also makes pitchers balk
joking, even though he really does fuck with their heads when on base

Doytch

Nolan Ryan: "I think if we weren't in such a need for him as a closer, he would be starting for us this year. I think what it means is that we have a year to find somebody within our system or through trade or a free agent acquisition to come in and take that role [as closer]."

pretty stupid imo. trade for one of the jays four "closers."

Sanjuro

I keep hearing about Showalter's comments all day. Driving me insane.

1. He is the Marty Schottenheimer of MLB, except Marty has an ounce of talent.
2. The Theo comments make sense, now when he is twenty games behind he can say "Told you so!"
3. The Jeter comments are the most interesting. It is like he is attempting to pump up his players by stating "I'M A GUY WHO YELLED AT DEREK JETER!!". I would be surprised if anyone on that Oriole team knows who he is and if they do not roll their eyes.
4. In the end, once the LandofMakeBelieve is over, the amount of Oriole talk will be reduced to nil. Might as well generate some sort of media buzz. AKA. Just hire Charlie Sheen.

Both Harrison and Holland are walk machines. The Rangers aren't going to have a need ofr a closer with all the runs the guys in front of him are going to give up.

Doytch

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

2. The Theo comments make sense, now when he is twenty games behind he can say "Told you so!"
3. The Jeter comments are the most interesting. It is like he is attempting to pump up his players by stating "I'M A GUY WHO YELLED AT DEREK JETER!!". I would be surprised if anyone on that Oriole team knows who he is and if they do not roll their eyes.
4. In the end, once the LandofMakeBelieve is over, the amount of Oriole talk will be reduced to nil. Might as well generate some sort of media buzz. AKA. Just hire Charlie Sheen.
But did you see the Orioles record before and after Buck came on? It's gotta be the chews!

CygnusXS

Doytch said:
Nolan Ryan: "I think if we weren't in such a need for him as a closer, he would be starting for us this year. I think what it means is that we have a year to find somebody within our system or through trade or a free agent acquisition to come in and take that role [as closer]."

pretty stupid imo. trade for one of the jays four "closers."
Yeah, especially since this will be his age 23 season. 25 is usually when a pitcher's joints have finished forming, and every year closer to 25 they are, it's that much harder to get them physically prepared for the workload. He's likely headed for injury town if they try to turn him into a starter next year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
And we didn't even keep Collins, we traded him to Kansas city. I didn't think much of the trade when it happened but I would love to have him back and in the bullpen.

CygnusXS

Windu said:
And we didn't even keep Collins, we traded him to Kansas city. I didn't think much of the trade when it happened but I would love to have him back and in the bullpen.
But we didn't just trade him for any old slouch. No, we traded him for Kyle fucking Farnsworth. Trade of the century.

CygnusXS said:
Yeah, especially since this will be his age 23 season. 25 is usually when a pitcher's joints have finished forming, and every year closer to 25 they are, it's that much harder to get them physically prepared for the workload. He's likely headed for injury town if they try to turn him into a starter next year.
Did you buy a copy of The Hardball Times 2011 Annual, too?

nocode said:

I have no idea what the winning % really is, but I'm gonna guess it's similar to most teams when their leadoff hitter scores first.

nocode

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I have no idea what the winning % really is, but I'm gonna guess it's similar to most teams when their leadoff hitter scores first.

Nope, it's abnormally high.

Here's the first article I found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/sports/baseball/01mets.html

After Sunday’s 10-4 victory in Milwaukee, where Reyes went 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored, the Mets were 18-5 in games in which he has scored. Since 2005, they were 266-109 in such games, a gaudy .709 winning percentage.

That is games where he scores, not just when he scores first.

nocode said:
Nope, it's abnormally high.

Here's the first article I found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/sports/baseball/01mets.html

That is games where he scores, not just when he scores first.

Yeah, I found that right after. It's interesting. For shits and giggles, though, I figured out the Mariners record over the last 5 years in games when Ichiro scored.

From 2006 - 2010, the Mariners' total winning % was a mighty .460.

From 2006 - 2010, the Mariners' winning % when Ichiro scored was .612.

From 2005 - May 2010, the Mets' winning % was .526.

According to the NYT, their winning % when Reyes scored was .709.

So Seattle was roughly 15% better when Ichiro scored, and the Mets were roughly 18% better when Reyes scored.

OK, who wants to do the other 28 teams?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
My FF team as drafted by stupid yahoo rankings:

1. (6) Ryan Braun LF
2. (15) Álex Rodríguez 3B
3. (26) Matt Kemp CF
4. (35) Andrew McCutchen CF
5. (46) Jimmy Rollins SS
6. (55) Jason Heyward RF
7. (66) Hunter Pence RF
8. (75) Billy Butler 1B
9. (86) Yovani Gallardo SP
10. (95) Jonathan Papelbon RP
11. (106) Geovany Soto C
12. (115) Aaron Hill 2B
13. (126) Brandon Morrow SP
14. (135) J.J. Putz RP
15. (146) Ricky Romero SP
16. (155) Ricky Nolasco SP
17. (166) John Danks SP
18. (175) Brian Matusz SP
19. (186) Ian Desmond SS
20. (195) Howie Kendrick 1B,2B

:(((((((((

10 team league. God Look at that pitching... :x

Wellington said:
My FF team as drafted by stupid yahoo rankings:

1. (6) Ryan Braun LF
2. (15) Álex Rodríguez 3B
3. (26) Matt Kemp CF
4. (35) Andrew McCutchen CF
5. (46) Jimmy Rollins SS
6. (55) Jason Heyward RF
7. (66) Hunter Pence RF
8. (75) Billy Butler 1B
9. (86) Yovani Gallardo SP
10. (95) Jonathan Papelbon RP
11. (106) Geovany Soto C
12. (115) Aaron Hill 2B
13. (126) Brandon Morrow SP
14. (135) J.J. Putz RP
15. (146) Ricky Romero SP
16. (155) Ricky Nolasco SP
17. (166) John Danks SP
18. (175) Brian Matusz SP
19. (186) Ian Desmond SS
20. (195) Howie Kendrick 1B,2B

:(((((((((

Heh. To be fair, pitching is the least predictable and you can recover if you watch the waiver wire like a hawk.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I think you give him way to much credit in assuming he thinks before he speaks.

You have the 2011 NL Cy Young winner. What's your gripe?

Doytch

You just need a good WHIP pitcher for your staff, Wellington. As soon as Heyward or Pence get hot, flip them for one. Try to get Hamels or something. Honestly though, I'd probably trade them for a slumping 1B instead, and try to get someone like Kuroda for cheap.

Ha ha, suck it, Showalter! The Yanks are gonna have the last laugh now, by using your best 2010 pitcher against you!

Source: Yanks sign Kevin Millwood

The New York Yankees have signed Kevin Millwood to a minor league deal, a baseball official with knowledge of the contract confirmed on Friday.

With the Yankees expected to announce soon if Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon will be the team's fifth starter, a source said that the point of the Millwood signing is to add depth.

And by "best picther", I actually mean league leader in losses with a 5+ ERA.

I think they're just collecting old men now. They must have invested in a retirement community in Tampa.

ToxicAdam said:
I'd love to be a lower-tier Yankee season ticket holder and get to watch Bartolo Colon and Kevin Millwood in successive days.

SHUT UP

*runs away crying*

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
eznark said:
I think you'd get a better response giving away your rad art work. (Buying one today, just trying to decide which)

Kick ass, and thanks man. I can tell you that the 'Flip' looks so good in person. Fantastic print, especially the yankee-themed colors one.

If you have a memorable Brewers one (lol), I'd be happy to make one specifically for you and the other 15 fans from your area.

I'm also looking to create something for BostonFan, if you guys have any ideas or plays in mind. I have a friend up there I want to surprise, and Jeter-being-Jeter probably won't cut it in beantown.

eznark

Banned
All I do is praise Royals fans, and all you do is hurt me.

You should do something diagramming the 9/28/09 Braun home run, but focus on the path Bernie Brewer takes going down the slide. You're the artist, make it interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom