• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yankeehater said:
I am really surprised no one has guessed who the mystrey team yet. It is the Arkansas Naturals, of the independent Texas league.
Dayton Moore is a genius
Could St. Louis do it too?

They're not too far from Arkansas, and they don't actually suck.
Holliday, Pujols and Lee would probably take up 90% of their payroll.

CajoleJuice said:
Uh, they have another player to worry about paying.

But they already fucked their ability to pay him what he will be getting by paying Matt Holliday $120m. Pujols is going to get money that surpasses A-Rod's. St. Louis is probably going to have to raise their payroll past $110m/yearly to be able to pay him, pay Rasmus, pay Wainwright, pay Carpenter, pay Holliday and keep the team competitive. One or more of those guys is going to go.

...and you know what? If the money is TOO epic, I bet you they won't keep Pujols.

captmcblack said:
But they already fucked their ability to pay him what he will be getting by paying Matt Holliday $120m. Pujols is going to get money that surpasses A-Rod's. St. Louis is probably going to have to raise their payroll past $110m/yearly to be able to pay him, pay Rasmus, pay Wainwright, pay Carpenter, pay Holliday and keep the team competitive.

Wait a second, the Cards are going to be competitive now?

I doubt Pujols will get A-Rod money ONLY because he's going to already be 32 at the start of the 2012 season. He's definitely going to get more than Mauer and Jeter, though.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
I doubt Pujols will get A-Rod money ONLY because he's going to already be 32 at the start of the 2012 season. He's definitely going to get more than Mauer and Jeter, though.

Which actually means he is 40.

captmcblack said:
But they already fucked their ability to pay him what he will be getting by paying Matt Holliday $120m. Pujols is going to get money that surpasses A-Rod's. St. Louis is probably going to have to raise their payroll past $110m/yearly to be able to pay him, pay Rasmus, pay Wainwright, pay Carpenter, pay Holliday and keep the team competitive. One or more of those guys is going to go.

...and you know what? If the money is TOO epic, I bet you they won't keep Pujols.
So you're saying that they don't have enough to sign Lee.

Windu

Holliday 17mil
Pujols 28mil?
Lee 23mil?

= 68 million. The other 22 players on the roster at MLB minimum would make the payroll 76.8 million. Yeah....no.

CajoleJuice said:
So you're saying that they don't have enough to sign Lee.

No, I'm saying that they won't sign Pujols because it will cost too much, so they'll try to get one more with him and let him go get his crazy timecontract with some other team of suckers that has a squajillion dollars and needs a 1B.

...that is, of course, the message that I'd be sent if St. Louis went and signed Cliff Lee. Maybe STL would think that a long-term rotation of Carpenter/Lee/Wainwright/Garcia and Holliday/Rasmus in the middle of that offense can do enough damage in the AL Central where they'd figure the cost of that is better than trying to pay Albert $30+m a year for 7 years.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
captmcblack said:
No, I'm saying that they won't sign Pujols because it will cost too much, so they'll try to get one more with him and let him go get his crazy timecontract with some other team of suckers that has a squajillion dollars and needs a 1B.
Yankees: No
Red Sox: No
... Angels? Cubs? Texas? I don't know man.

captmcblack said:
I don't know, I can't see Pujols signing anywhere else. Yankees won't sign him. Red Sox won't sign him. Mets? Angels? Dodgers?

Wow, almost the exact same post :lol

Would the Mariners do it, seeing as Ichiro is going to be off contract in a year or two and they've needed that sort of power since the golden days of Griffey/A-Rod?

Windu

I don't see the Dodgers being able to sell their team soon enough to be able to compete for his services. But, they do have about 38-40 million in FA contracts coming off the books after 2011. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tBbMgiEHXYczpjt0I7dajQQ&output=html

The Cubs have two big contracts coming off as well, Fukudome (14mil) and Pena (10mil). http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tt7HjIernphaSrv4wMWdUYg&output=html

The Angels have about 18 million in FA contracts coming off after 2011, but they have a lot of arbitration eligible players. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tWBCtH8eoSECZxhX-dRCHIw&output=html

I don't see him leaving St. Louis but the Cubs might have a shot at him.

Top 10 MLB payrolls in 2010:

New York Yankees Tiexera
Boston Red Sos Gonzalez
Chicago Cubs
Philadelphia Phillies Howard
New York Mets
Detroit Tigers Cabrera
Chicago White Sox Konerko, Dunn
Los Angeles Angels (Morales)
Seattle Mariners
San Francisco Giants

The Yankees and Red Sox both have their first base situations locked down for years to come (Teixeira and Gonzalez). Unless Pujols can wrangle Anaheim, there's no one that's going to be able to afford the megadeal he's going to want.

Celsior

AnEternalEnigma said:
The Yankees and Red Sox both have their first base situations locked down for years to come (Teixeira and Gonzalez). Unless Pujols can wrangle Anaheim, there's no one that's going to be able to afford the megadeal he's going to want.
The Mets
Beltran, Prez and some other trash is coming off the books.

Doytch

AnEternalEnigma said:
You know what? That actually would make sense. They've got the money since Oswalt and Berkman are off the books.
Yeah, Lee no doubt looooved playing with a shitty offense with a "hot prospect" 1B. I can see him signing right up for another half-season of the same.

e: Aw goddamn I hate it when I quote someone not realising the page has flipped. It makes me seem so out of touch.
e2: and 100ppp fatasses can gtfo.

Celsior said:
The Mets
Beltran, Prez and some other trash is coming off the books.

I thought the Mets were really happy with Davis at 1st? I heard someone on the Fan recently saying that was one of the positions they were sure about.

Celsior

yankeehater said:
I thought the Mets were really happy with Davis at 1st? I heard someone on the Fan recently saying that was one of the positions they were sure about.
I think it depends on how he does next year. Remember Murphy was the future 1st baseman after his first year, if Davis fails next year they will go after him. If Davis does just as good, yeah they don't need him.

captmcblack said:
Would the Mariners do it, seeing as Ichiro is going to be off contract in a year or two and they've needed that sort of power since the golden days of Griffey/A-Rod?

Unless he just collapses or Yamauchi sells the team Ichiro will get resigned after 2012. While I'd love for it to happen just don't see anyway M's could get Pujols. If they did, Felix Ichiro, and Pujols would make up somewhere around 60-70 percent of the payroll.

They will be players next offseason though with the Bradley/Silva money coming off the books along with Jack Wilson.

Overlee

Interesting article on Fangraphs about the awful signings in the 2006 fa class

Cliff Lee hasn’t even signed yet. The last time we saw this kind of aggressive spending in the market was 2006, when four teams spent in excess of $100 million to acquire new talent. Unfortunately for those with money this winter, that winter also serves as a reminder for why throwing your cash around can be a bad idea.

The four players who cost their teams $100+ million that winter? Alfonso Soriano (8 years, $136 million), Barry Zito (7 years, $126 million), Carlos Lee (6 years, $100 million), and Daisuke Matsuzaka (6 years, $52 million, plus a $51 million posting fee). None of those players have come close to providing a return on their investment, and are all essentially untradeable at this point.

Players who signed deals of 4+ years: 14;
Total money committed to those players: $941 million;
WAR produced by those players to date: 96.9;
Dollar Per WAR produced to date: $7.3 million.

other notable signings in '06:

Nomar Garciaparra: Re-signing with Dodgers two years, $18 million.
Juan Pierre: Signing with Dodgers for five years, $45 million.
Jason Schmidt: Signing with Dodgers for three years, $47 million.

:( :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Overlee said:
Jason Schmidt: Signing with Dodgers for three years, $47 million.

:( :(
AAAADGGhjYUAAAAAAElQwA.jpg

Doytch

This is old, but I wanted to post it anyway:
"Yeah, if he doesn't know [that I'm gonna make the Jays out of spring training] then he should have known it when he was picking me," [Brett Lawrie] says from Los Angeles, where he was visiting fiancee Sydney Leroux, a forward on UCLA's soccer team. "He told me he didn't get me because he wants me to play in the minor leagues, so that obviously tells me he wants me to be in the big leagues. Traded for a big-league starter, what can I say?

Fuckin love it.

Windu

MLB.com, the Official Site of Major League Baseball, is seeking stats stringers in these markets for the 2011 season:
• Cincinnati
• Cleveland
• Houston
• San Diego
• St. Louis
• Texas (Rangers)
Stats stringers are responsible for digitally scoring games from one of the 30 MLB ballparks, which provides the data used in the live content applications on MLB.com, including Gameday and MLB.TV, real-time highlights and text alerts, and by our business partners. This is a perfect part-time job for a diligent, responsible employee who happens to be a big baseball fan.
Responsibilities include:
• Arrive at the ballpark no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time;
• Double-check and verify all pre-game information: rosters, umpires, weather conditions, etc.;
• During the game, enter the results of every pitch and game event (plays, substitutions, etc.) using our proprietary software and coding language;
• Work closely with our game-night support staff (via AOL Instant Messenger) to ensure proper scoring of all game events and accuracy of data;
• After the game, enter all post-game information: winning and losing pitcher, saves, holds, time and attendance
• Validate all stats in software box score against the official box score provided by the Official Scorer, and print out a final box score and game text for the club PR staff
Qualifications include:
• Previous experience (including pressbox exposure) with a professional or college sports team, preferably baseball;
• Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of baseball and how to score a baseball game;
• Strong computer proficiency (Windows OS and Windows-based software) and the ability to quickly learn and operate new software;
• Regular availability to attend games in-person as required by the schedule: weekdays, nights and weekends;
• A “team player” with a great attitude, including but not limited to a willingness to make and learn from mistakes and the ability to work closely and cooperatively (and take direction from) our game-night staff;
• Professionalism. It’s a fun job and we pay people to watch baseball, but it’s also an important job and we want people who will take the responsibility seriously.
(New stringers undergo an 8-10 week correspondence training program, and co-score several practice games in the ballpark with a returning stringer, before scoring any games solo in the ballpark.)
Those interested in applying should send a resume and cover later, addressing the above-listed qualifications, to stats@website.mlb.com
ONLY those who reply to this e-mail address will be considered, and due to volume, we may be unable to respond to all applicants.
Thanks and good luck!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Windu said:
I don't see him leaving St. Louis but the Cubs might have a shot at him.

Top 10 MLB payrolls in 2010:

New York Yankees Tiexera
Boston Red Sos Gonzalez
Chicago Cubs
Philadelphia Phillies Howard
New York Mets
Detroit Tigers Cabrera
Chicago White Sox Konerko, Dunn
Los Angeles Angels (Morales)
Seattle Mariners
San Francisco Giants

:(

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
captmcblack said:

a year or two?

Jon

If Cliff Lee signs with the Phillies I will make fifty consecutive randymarshsplooge.jpg posts and take a two week ban for my actions.

Jon

Sounds like Lee would seriously come here, the deal is dependent on the Phillies moving Joe Blanton's salary. Unbelievable.

Jon

Doytch said:

Well it's unbelievable in two ways.

1) Holy shit, there is one fat ass in the way of the Phillies having the greatest rotation in the history of baseball.

2) We're almost in the identical situation from LAST offseason where the Phillies refused to just suck it up and pay the extra 9 million. This year, it's only 8 million (unless they're that concerned with the 8 million next year--to me, Blanton might be a great trade-deadline pickup next year, so really, we're looking at an extra 12 million).

Jon

The Frankman said:
20101213-070103.jpg

... this isn't even funny anymore.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OMG, can you imagine the day where the Phillies somehow sign Cliff Lee, and the Mets sign...Jose Canseco??!?!

Jon Heyman confirms the Phillies are indeed the mystery third team involved in the Cliff Lee trade talks. They have offered a 5-year, 9-figure deal. They're trying to find someone to take Blanton so they can offer him even more money.

All this after he said last night the Phillies weren't the mystery team. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom