• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

wbsmcs

Liriano has been on a bit of a hot streak lately, but I think there was no chance that Stroman would NOT be starting this game with Sanchez and Happ not ready to pitch.

I see this game either being a 2-1 game with some solo homeruns, or a 10-8 slugfest.

A wildcard team has won a series every year since this new format started, right? The series against Texas is going to be a fun one
hopefully.
I wasn't too active last postseason...but I do remember how heated it got hahaha

Stroman starting for the Jays.

I'm fine with this, he's had a good 2nd half, plus he was great in the post season last year, so he's had the experience.
He's got too much pride to understand his stuff isn't good enough not to be smart about it. Liriano had better numbers lately.

It's another one of those fine Gibby decisions.

Lexxism

A wildcard team has won a series every year since this new format started, right? The series against Texas is going to be a fun one
hopefully.
I wasn't too active last postseason...but I do remember how heated it got hahaha
You mean the visitor? If so, yeah, they have won 6-2 since the wild card game introduced in 2012.

He's got too much pride to understand his stuff isn't good enough not to be smart about it. Liriano had better numbers lately.

It's another one of those fine Gibby decisions.

Why do you keep blaming Gibby?

For what it's worth, as much as Stroman has been shaky this year, he has pitched before in big money games in the postseason. I believe that he is at best second on the pitching staff in terms of his ceiling, but for now, he is our ace.

I seriously think you are just trying to place blame on Gibby where there is none when it comes to this. Conventional thinking has you going to your ace in the wild card game. Always.

From MLB Network PR.
Bob Costas, Jim Kaat & @jonmorosi to call @MLBNetwork's telecast of NLDS Game 3 between the @Nationals & @Dodgers on Monday 10/10.

But the guy had been shit against the O's this year. My god. I hope it will be a different Stroman tomorrow

It's strange, Liriano has been great as of late. Furthermore, the Orioles struggle against left handed pitching. Liriano also has WC experience, in 2013 - with Russel Martin as the catcher of all things. He went 7 innings and gave up only one run.

I think what's going on is that Stroman is going to start, which will have the O's start several of their LHH's. Stroman is good the first two times through the order. After so, take him out and put Liriano in, thus causing the Orioles to remove their lefties, pinch hitting righties thereby removing any sort of platooning late in the game. Grilli and Osuna both do much better against rigthies than lefties.

So, what we have is Stroman for 3 innings. (Orioles have no choice but to burn their lefties here) Liriano for 4 innings. Grilli for 1 inning and Osuna for 1 inning.

If Liriano started, then the O's wouldn't start the lefties, then put them in when Stroman comes in middle of the game. And leave those lefties in all the way through. The Blue Jays don't have any good left handed pitchers in their bullpen outside of Cecil (who is average at best anyway). So you want the Orioles to burn their lefties early in the game (Alverez, Kim etc.)

John Gibbons is an idiot, but apparently Atkins and Shapiro were involved in the discussion as well. So I'm hoping this was their thought process. Really if you think about it Liriano wouldn't go all 9. And in this situation all pitchers are on a short leash. So starting Stroman or staring Liriano and ultimately have to switch to other is kind of a mute point. So you might as well use the order that causes the Orioles to burn their bench earlier than later.

Why do you keep blaming Gibby?

For what it's worth, as much as Stroman has been shaky this year, he has pitched before in big money games in the postseason. I believe that he is at best second on the pitching staff in terms of his ceiling, but for now, he is our ace.

I seriously think you are just trying to place blame on Gibby where there is none when it comes to this. Conventional thinking has you going to your ace in the wild card game. Always.
The thing is Stroman is not the ace, his command of the strikezone isn't good enough with the stuff he's got.

Lexxism

It's strange, Liriano has been great as of late. Furthermore, the Orioles struggle against left handed pitching. Liriano also has WC experience, in 2013 - with Russel Martin as the catcher of all things. He went 7 innings and gave up only one run.

I think what's going on is that Stroman is going to start, which will have the O's start several of their LHH's. Stroman is good the first two times through the order. After so, take him out and put Liriano in, thus causing the Orioles to remove their lefties, pinch hitting righties thereby removing any sort of platooning late in the game. Grilli and Osuna both do much better against rigthies than lefties.

So, what we have is Stroman for 3 innings. (Orioles have no choice but to burn their lefties here) Liriano for 4 innings. Grilli for 1 inning and Osuna for 1 inning.

If Liriano started, then the O's wouldn't start the lefties, then put them in when Stroman comes in middle of the game. And leave those lefties in all the way through. The Blue Jays don't have any good left handed pitchers in their bullpen outside of Cecil (who is average at best anyway). So you want the Orioles to burn their lefties early in the game (Alverez, Kim etc.)

John Gibbons is an idiot, but apparently Atkins and Shapiro were involved in the discussion as well. So I'm hoping this was their thought process. Really if you think about it Liriano wouldn't go all 9. And in this situation all pitchers are on a short leash. So starting Stroman or staring Liriano and ultimately have to switch to other is kind of a mute point. So you might as well use the order that causes the Orioles to burn their bench earlier than later.
That's not really a bad idea if that's what they are planning. Stroman on the short lease. He'll be up till the 2nd through the order and put Liriano on the 3rd one. This will counter the LHB that the O's placed. I just hope before Stroman pass the baton, it's not over by that time especially how the offence has been shit throughout the season. Tomorrow will be the best time to wake up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Putting together a playoff thread since nobody else wants to. Need a gif and a witty thread title.

Top Bottom