• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

doesn't matter if it makes logical sense given your geographical location.

my cool person list has a strict no cubs, yankees or red sox fans clause to it :p

the worst part being the only people locally that I can watch baseball with are cubs and red sox fans lol.

Lol, sorry to hear that. At least there's no more curse talk for either....

Yeah, well screw you, Kiritobread! Sale is SHIET!

🤠🤠

Well, lets see if an extra few days not pitching helps at all...

zulux21

The first month is in OT, then after that, they get moved to community.

alright that covers 2 out of the three (but not fantasy football :p though that is likely just a slow move then)
a quick look... it's weird that drafts are in OT, but playoffs are not.

Lol, sorry to hear that. At least there's no more curse talk for either....

the curse talk never really bothered me.
the only thing to actively bother me was the red sox fans before 2004 saying they were the team that had gone the longest without a WS win.

bugged the crap out of me because it was a twice over lie.
they weren't the longest in general and they weren't the longest in the AL either.

chicago had it both ways lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
now I am just curious.
why are the baseball playoffs in community while

NFL 2017 Week 4 |OT| Taking a stand by taking a knee
NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'
Fantasy Football Discussion Thread - 2017 Season

are all in OT. (and that is just the front page.)

This started last year. First couple weeks of the season, the sports threads start in OT to help get exposure and draw new participants to hopefully join in. Subsequent threads go in Community. Playoff threads in Community. Championship games/series in OT. Off-season threads in Community. Large enough events that get a lot of general attention may also go into OT (e.g. draft threads).

Fantasy football is its own thing. I should probably follow-up with the other mods if a more general fantasy sports thread might make more sense, but there may not be enough crossover for each fantasy sport (e.g. the average fantasy football player may not care for baseball or basketball).

basically I am asking... why is baseball community only while football/hockey is cool to be in OT?

Well if you've been paying attention over the past year or two, you'd have known what was going on! ;P

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jeff Passan Twitter

@JeffPassan
Numerous issues with John Coppolella came up as the league looked into the situation. At least one anonymous complaint was filed with MLB.

The Braves organization has been a wasteland of infighting in recent weeks, according to numerous sources. Chaos centered around Coppolella.

Early on in investigation, little evidence had been found to corroborate a number of accusations levied against Coppolella, per sources.

MLB was looking into everything from Braves' int'l operations to its domestic draft to Coppolella's treatment of Braves employees.

To put it mildly, John Coppolella was not well-liked among his peers. Well-loathed would be more accurate. A lot of schadenfreude right now.
Rosenthal
#Braves special asst Blakeley also resigning, sources tell The Athletic. MLB investigating team for circumvention of int'l signing rules.

Beckx

wow, that's crazy. "well loathed", damn

in other crazy news:

@ryanfagan

Why head-to-head matters:
Cubs, 78-65 vs. everyone but STL
Cards, 78-65 vs. all but CHC

Cubs 14-5 vs. Cards

Cubs 92-70
Cards 83-79, 9 GB

Malvingt2

@Joelsherman1

This will not be a sad day in other front offices. Many execs had expressed to me displeasure in dealing with Coppolella’s #Braves

wow

TraBuch

Banned
Coppy, you fuck. You trade Simmons for Sean Newcomb. You trade for Hector Olivera. And now this shit?

Maitan better not get taken away.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The treatment of employees bit is the most alarming. Would love to hear more about that.
Did you see Jeff Wren's (Frank's brother) tweets from a few days ago accusing Coppy of falsifying documents so that he could get other people fired? It wasn't taken seriously at the time but now...

Windu

Did you see Jeff Wren's (Frank's brother) tweets from a few days ago accusing Coppy of falsifying documents so that he could get other people fired? It wasn't taken seriously at the time but now...
No. But damn, that is definitely something that would warrant a mlb investigation and firing,

It's Jeff Wren, so I still don't take it that seriously.

I do know there were reports of a lot of verbal abuse.

Malo

Banned
Jeff Passan‏
@JeffPassan

Sources: MLB is investigating Atlanta's signing of top prospect Kevin Maitan. If improprieties are found, he could be declared a free agent.

oh shit

XiaNaphryz

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-coppo...-start-atlanta-braves-problems-230643724.html

Last year, a prominent agent received a phone call from a 770 number. On the other end was John Coppolella, the general manager of the Atlanta Braves. He wanted to talk about one of the agent’s clients. The agent found this particularly curious, not because the Braves liked the player but because he was playing for a different organization and it was August, a full 2½ months before he would hit free agency. Never before had he seen a general manager so blatantly disregard tampering rules.

The scope of the Braves’ scheme remains unclear, but a source familiar with it deemed it “significantly bigger” than a similar one employed by the Boston Red Sox in the 2015-16 signing period. To skirt rules that limited them to signing players for a maximum $300,000 bonus, Boston overpaid for bonuses on lesser players represented by the same buscon, or trainer, of more highly regarded players, to whom extra money was funneled. The five players signed in the scheme were declared free agents, and the Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for a year.

A year later, in October 2015, the Braves named Coppolella GM. Though Hart is the team president, Coppolella ran the team’s day-to-day operations, and his forcefulness grew over the past year, according to sources. While all draft rooms have contentious moments, multiple scouts said Coppolella’s anger boiled over at one point this year, further sullying a work environment that had degraded beyond repair.

Braves employees, even those who once were Coppolella loyalists, saw the proud organization of 14 consecutive division titles rotting from the inside. Now they wonder how, exactly, it’s going to weather the internal turmoil in concert with the eventual penalties levied by MLB.

“This place is totally [expletive] up,” one high-ranking Braves employee said last week. “I just hope when it blows up, it doesn’t take all of us down.”

Windu

Jeff Passan‏
@JeffPassan

Sources: MLB is investigating Atlanta's signing of top prospect Kevin Maitan. If improprieties are found, he could be declared a free agent.

oh shit
giphy.gif

Malo

Banned
If Maitan is declared a FA, does he have to give back his signing bonus? And is he considered apart of the '17 IFA class?

Yankees do have some extra IFA money from the Gray trade...

TraBuch

Banned
Losing Maitan would be a bitch, but it's not the end of the world. Dude wouldn't even be in play for the majors until like 2021. Still have all those young pitchers, Acuna, Albies and Freeman.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I guess... I don't want to be a fan anymore. That organization continues to be everything I dislike. I still like some of the players but I really, really don't want to keep rooting for the Braves.

TraBuch

Banned
I guess... I don't want to be a fan anymore. That organization continues to be everything I dislike. I still like some of the players but I really, really don't want to keep rooting for the Braves.
Good news. It's about to be a totally different organization when the bombs drop.

XiaNaphryz

Giants-GAF welcomes all newcomers, friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom