• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB THE SHOW 17 Impressions

The one thing about the show that I like is your play style is up to you and the level in which you play them.

You can chose Throwing to be buttons or button accuracy the level can be your choosing.

Pitching can be dynamic difficulty or allstar, can be meter or analog or buttons

Batting can be dynamic difficulty or a set difficulty and again you can chose buttons or analog

You can choose your style of play and camera angle, they have so many and you can customize your pitcher and batter cameras to your liking.

I get all that as I've been playing The Show since, well, before it was called The Show.

In Retro mode you only have to deal with the horizontal (inside/outside) aspect of the pitch when hitting (although I think there is a drop ball from the classic RBI/Baseball Stars series that goes into the dirt) instead of having to judge the verticality (high/low) as well.

Glad to hear the impressions are good! Can't wait to see what this game looks like in 4k HDR. Pumped to start up my Yankees franchise mode on Tuesday!

I get all that as I've been playing The Show since, well, before it was called The Show.

In Retro mode you only have to deal with the horizontal (inside/outside) aspect of the pitch when hitting (although I think there is a drop ball from the classic RBI/Baseball Stars series that goes into the dirt) instead of having to judge the the verticality (high/low) as well.

Only the Camera is available outside of Retro. Retro is its own thing, so no.

Dunan

Question: is it possible to have a game in progress, make a save file out of it, and then replay the game from that point, keeping the save file and playing it again? I was thinking of running an experiment in which I save the progress of a certain game and then replay it doing different things and seeing how it turns out.

Also, have they still not fixed the positioning of the numbers on the players' backs if their uniforms don't have names on them? I can't believe that this hadn't been fixed in The Show '16 despite the franchise being in its tenth year and the developers having even gotten around to trivialities like using the right manufacturer's batting gloves.

I bought The Show '16 but didn't play it much; playing against the computer wasn't too hard but my team of misfits could barely come close to winning a game online. (How do you change the jersey number of a player on your roster? Many of my players were stuck with ugly numbers from spring training that they would never wear in real games.)

The commentary in '16 really impressed me, and I loved how they introduced you to the game by having you play an exhibition between the two leagues' champions while the game loaded.

Looking forward to giving my online team (the Montréal Republicans; baseball and history buffs will get it) and their spiffy maroon uniforms are looking to have a successful second year!

How's the audio? This is supposed to have 3D I think. Also when is reviews coming?

3D Audio is only available with the Newest Playstation Headphones and through the APP. I will check it out later and fill you in. Glad you mentioned it, I forgot about 3d audio.

Question: is it possible to have a game in progress, make a save file out of it, and then replay the game from that point, keeping the save file and playing it again? I was thinking of running an experiment in which I save the progress of a certain game and then replay it doing different things and seeing how it turns out.

Also, have they still not fixed the positioning of the numbers on the players' backs if their uniforms don't have names on them? I can't believe that this hadn't been fixed in The Show '16 despite the franchise being in its tenth year and the developers having even gotten around to trivialities like using the right manufacturer's batting gloves.

I bought The Show '16 but didn't play it much; playing against the computer wasn't too hard but my team of misfits could barely come close to winning a game online. (How do you change the jersey number of a player on your roster? Many of my players were stuck with ugly numbers from spring training that they would never wear in real games.)

The commentary in '16 really impressed me, and I loved how they introduced you to the game by having you play an exhibition between the two leagues' champions while the game loaded.

Looking forward to giving my online team (the Montréal Republicans; baseball and history buffs will get it) and their spiffy maroon uniforms are looking to have a successful second year!

Yes, you have in game saves since forever and recently they added year to year saves, so if you're playing franchise in 16, you can transfer that file to 17 and pick up where you left off. I need to check and see how the player models will transfer over since they have been updated in 17, as well as the new Player Quirks.

leroidys

This will be my first "the show" after eyeing them for years. The Griffey nostalgia play paid off. Can't wait to pick this one up.

Purexed

Banned
Been playing the last two days, it's an amazingly polished package. The 4K mode is a bit of a disappointment though, it's pretty choppy compared to High Frame Rate and Enhanced Visuals mode.

Retro mode feels like a throwaway though. Not nearly as pick up and play as the old SNES Griffey games.

Shock32

3D Audio is only available with the Newest Playstation Headphones and through the APP. I will check it out later and fill you in. Glad you mentioned it, I forgot about 3d audio.

The show is a major reason I got the new platinum headset, thanks for impressions so far.

Have you noticed new legends besides the already mentioned ones of Boggs, Alomar... I watched a few streams last night where a couple were playing BR, and while going through the menus I could've swore I seen Greg Maddux's name?

Welp there goes Sizzle's bank account if Greg Maddux is in the game

FrankWza

Been playing the last two days, it's an amazingly polished package. The 4K mode is a bit of a disappointment though, it's pretty choppy compared to High Frame Rate and Enhanced Visuals mode.

Retro mode feels like a throwaway though. Not nearly as pick up and play as the old SNES Griffey games.

What are the modes? Is there a performance mode? How does it run? Solid framerate?

I really hope that DF does a video on this

Apparently the 4k is true 4k, and enhanced visuals is 1440p

We don't know what resolution the high framerate mode renders at and we don't know about downsampling on 1080p displays

ChanMan

I really wanted to skip this years edition since I have bought the last couple and I have plenty off games to play already but I feel like they have updated it enough to justify a purchase.

This is how I feel plus I am still enjoying last years version. Luckily Gamefly is sent me a promo to restart my account for a $1 so I will be going that route for now.

If you do enhance mode does it super sample 1080P?

No

This is why we need DF to do an analysis of this game

Enhanced and 4k mode are ONLY for 4k displays

1080p displays can ONLY select the default rendering mode and high framerate

A dev from SCEA said on OperationSports that he believes downsampling is built into the 1080p options but we don't know if it applies to both high framerate and default or just one of them.

joeblow

That isn't correct. You can also get 3D audio to work with any wired headphones if you connect it to the PSVR headset. I do that with Uncharted 4, and the 3D audio option opens up in the settings menu. Sounds fantastic, too.

Memnoch

I've gone a couple of years without picking this up and I think it's time to jump back in. I'm one of those old school guys who still plays offline franchise mode and runs the franchise through about ten seasons. From watching the OS streams on Twitch it looks like they did a good job with their simulations for Franchise mode. I'm looking forward to digging in this year, especially with the good crop of prospects the Yankees have.
I'm the same. I only play the franchise mode.

That isn't correct. You can also get 3D audio to work with any wired headphones if you connect it to the PSVR headset. I do that with Uncharted 4, and the 3D audio option opens up in the settings menu. Sounds fantastic, too.

How do you set that up? Because if I turn on my PSVR I lose HDR, I lose 4K, how are you reconciling these issues?

ironmang

I have not yet purchased The Show for PS4. I think I might do it this year. Looks very solid.

Same here. Last release I bought was 6 years ago but lately I've really been craving some baseball. That steelbook was the final straw and I just preordered it to pickup tomorrow evening.

Excited about this and can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the impressions. I always feel bad because I usually never play any more other than guiding my Mets through a 162 game season.

FrankWza

Excited about this and can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the impressions. I always feel bad because I usually never play any more other than guiding my Mets through a 162 game season.

I dont understand why they didnt do a regional release of a Piazza steelbook. Or at least give a choice.

So Enhanced Visuals with the HDR slider somewhere in the middle sounds like the sweet spot from what I am hearing.

RTTS has had a major overhaul. http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/14/14922598/mlb-the-show-17-road-to-the-show-career-pave-your-path

Hmmmmmm, these types of career modes are usually terrible to play through a second time so I'm not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully, the cutscenes are easily skipped, I absolutely hated that shit in NBA 2K.

Amazon UK doesn't have any physical copies available to order, only a download code :*(

There beauty of this RPG style is they have already stated they will add content to the mode after release.

Yeah but let's be honest, none of these career modes will ever come close to ISS 2000 on the N64.

Hmmmmmm, these types of career modes are usually terrible to play through a second time so I'm not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully, the cutscenes are easily skipped, I absolutely hated that shit in NBA 2K.

Amazon UK doesn't have any physical copies available to order, only a download code :*(
There beauty of this RPG style is they have already stated they will add content to the mode after release.

Memnoch

So I'm still playing on franchise from 2014 on the show 16. If I continue with this season in 17, will the character models be updated? If not I'll start fresh.

Geeze, after watching the videos, I may have to pick this up tomorrow. Wasn't planning on it but this game looks much better than last years...plus need to use my PS4 more.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The last MLB The Show I played was before a major operation 4 years ago. I think it's time to return to The Show.

GRaider81

The reason I bought a PS4 again, have it unlocking tonight (UK)

I still hate the washed out Colour palette especially the grass!

Is the enhanced mode 1440p? My biggest issues in previous renditions were the terrible Aliasing and AF, really hoping the extra oomph on the pro sorts this

Edit: sorry should have read further up!
No

This is why we need DF to do an analysis of this game

Enhanced and 4k mode are ONLY for 4k displays

1080p displays can ONLY select the default rendering mode and high framerate

A dev from SCEA said on OperationSports that he believes downsampling is built into the 1080p options but we don't know if it applies to both high framerate and default or just one of them.

Damn that is bad news, so there are no 1080p options other than higher frame rate?

feep I have wasted my money on a pro now

atom519

Excited for this, will pick up when I'm finished with Zelda.

I assume I have the option to transfer over my franchise season from '16 right? I thought I saw that option in there when I started mine.

joeblow

How do you set that up? Because if I turn on my PSVR I lose HDR, I lose 4K, how are you reconciling these issues?
I'm on a 1080P HDTV. I turn on the VR headset and place it next to me (no need to wear it) and plug in my headphones into its control box. That activates UC4's 3D audio setting in the option menu, so it should work on The Show. This will work with any wired headphones.

Damn that is bad news, so there are no 1080p options other than higher frame rate?

feep I have wasted my money on a pro now

Yes, this is true, but the key detail missing is we don't know for sure how downsampling works. A dev from SCEA mentioned downsampling on another forum but did not go into detail, and has not responded to inquiries since.

We don't know if just the base rendering has downsampling, or if it applies to the HFR too

Excited for this, will pick up when I'm finished with Zelda.

I assume I have the option to transfer over my franchise season from '16 right? I thought I saw that option in there when I started mine.

This is basically my question.

Picked up last year's edition and really enjoyed it. Only dug into the Road to the Show mode but was enjoying my 2nd season in the majors after getting called up from AAA. Will i be able to carry on with that character in the new game?

Also, I'd love to get this digitally now that PS4 supports external HD's so it's always at my fingertips. Would I be able to load a bunch of music on their to use to customize the game?

Wasn't thinking I'd upgrade as I didn't play last year's titled as much as expected, but now I may have to.

GRaider81

From what I've played it really doesn't look like it is downsampling at all for 1080p displays.

Pretty disappointed in that. The game still looks much better from last year but jaggies are still rife playing at 1080p on pro.

Is anyone else having issues buying the game on their mobile device? Keep on getting errors when trying to process payment. Don't remember having this issues on a computer or on my PS4.

Top Bottom