• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB2K8 Coverman Revealed...Just shoot me now.

Zep

Banned
media

Aue9172.jpg

After a blogful of speculation, 2K Sports has made it official: Jose Reyes will be the cover athlete for MLB 2K8, the company's third next-gen baseball effort.

Last season the Dominican-born New York Mets shortstop hit .280, scored 119 runs, and led the league with 78 stolen bases at the top of the Mets lineup. He replaces Derek Jeter, who had been on the cover the last two seasons.

"Jose is a young, exciting, game-changing player who is on the cusp of super-stardom-much like 2K Sports and Major League Baseball 2K8," said Chris Snyder, Director of Marketing for 2K Sports. "That isn't to say he doesn't game. Jose almost took down Justin Morneau in our Bigs Home Run Derby last year during All-Star Weekend in San Francisco. We didn't hold being runner-up against him...we still put him on the cover!"

Reyes has been a 1UP favorite ever since the aforementioned evening, when he gave the Sports Anomaly podcast a shout out (during episode #14's intermission).

"This is the first time I have ever been on the cover of a video game and it is very exciting to be a part of the best video game out there," Reyes said.

Critically speaking, Reyes is right about being on the cover of the best baseball game on next-gen. MLB 2K7 scored a 7.5 while MLB: The Show, on PS3 scored a 5.5. Still, 2K's got a ways to go before it's pushing for Sports Game of the Year consideration. Last year, it might have looked next-gen, but it didn't completely play like it. Question is, can MLB 2K8 deliver an A+ experience in every aspect of their game like their cover athlete does in his? We're talking fielding, hitting, pitching and baserunning.

"Yes and with flying colors," Snyder said. "I don't want to speak for our production team on this; however I will say that last year was all about upgrading our game from a visual standpoint. This year we focused on how the game plays, specifically regarding each of the aspects you mentioned. Let's just say you are going to see revolutionary changes both defensively and offensively with Major League Baseball 2K8 this year that haven't been seen before. Much like you mentioned Jose Reyes being the complete player, Major League Baseball 2K8 is the complete baseball experience. Literally all five tools in baseball have been innovated and/or improved upon in a big way that fans of MLB 2K7 will instantly recognize and appreciate."

According to Snyder, that level of innovation and improvement goes beyond just the PS3 and Xbox 360, all the way to the Wii. For those bored with Wii Sports limited three inning experience, this news should have rotator cuffs of all ages tingling with anticipation.

"We are delivering a Wii experience that is designed specifically for [the Wii] audience," said Snyder. "Major League Baseball 2K8 is still a simulation on the Wii. However, pitching, fielding and batting are each designed with a learning curve that will provide entertainment for the entire family, regardless of a player's level of gaming expertise."

It looks like he has a fucking shitstain down the front of his uniform. Jesus Christ clean that shit up already, this is your cover, dude. We know it's dirt, but it looks like shit.

duffey

Awesome I'm glad they gave it to a guy who did absolutely horrible in September and helped the Mets to a historic collapse!

(ps shoot me I'm a mets fan D:)

gray_fox224

aztrex said:
It looks like he has a fucking shitstain down the front of his uniform. Jesus Christ clean that shit up already, this is your cover, dude. We know it's dirt, but it looks like shit.

He's a shortstop, not an utility player. He should have dirt on his shirt. Or in your case, skidmarks :lol

gray_fox224 said:
He's a shortstop, not an utility player. He should have dirt on his shirt. Or in your case, skidmarks :lol

Well then he should have more dirt so he doesn't come off looking like an ass napkin.

teddyboi

Banned
gray_fox224 said:

Yea but if they wanted to pull of the "dirty" look, they should have made him dirtier. That little wick looks like he spilled Quik on his shirt.

gcubed

duffey said:
Awesome I'm glad they gave it to a guy who did absolutely horrible in September and helped the Mets to a historic collapse!

so does the game have him choke in september like in real life? :)

duffey

gcubed said:
so does the game have him choke in september like in real life? :)
God I was going to respond to your post before you edited and make an A-Rod joke but you ruined that :(

Drek

MLB 2K7 scored a 7.5 while MLB: The Show, on PS3 scored a 5.5.

The hell?

Did 1UP seriously give those scores out? Have they ever actually played baseball?

The Show is everything a baseball game should be from a gameplay standpoint. 2k is the definition of how a once proud franchise (World Series) has turned into an inferior turd.

I hope you pick it up 2k, I got a 360 and a PS3, I'd prefer to buy the baseball game I can play in high def, but if you lob up another turd burger while The Show offers up sweet baseball bliss well, I'll just have to deal with jaggies et al.

gcubed

duffey said:
God I was going to respond to your post before you edited and make an A-Rod joke but you ruined that :(

haha, you could have caught my stealth edit. :)

(i'm a phillies fan, they helped the collapse, but then took a shit the next week in teh playoffs)

aparisi2274

For anyone who thinks Reyes is a bad choice.... STFU!!!!

Last season the Dominican-born New York Mets shortstop hit .280, scored 119 runs, and led the league with 78 stolen bases at the top of the Mets lineup

I think its about time there was a met on the cover of the game.

aparisi2274

fabs115 said:
they put .280 hitters on the cover of video games??

I love how you focus on the avg... guy is a leadoff hitter... takes a lot of walks.. AND LEADS THE LEAGUE WITH STOLEN BASES!!!

Plus he is one of the most popular players in NY.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JeremyR said:
I can't believe they only used "exciting" twice in the press release.
Well I thought it was pretty damn exciting watching the mets those last two weeks of the season. I think it deserves three Excites.

aparisi2274 said:
I love how you focus on the avg... guy is a leadoff hitter... takes a lot of walks.. AND LEADS THE LEAGUE WITH STOLEN BASES!!!

stolen bases aren't really worth that much. reyes is no rickey henderson.

Sports games are so stale nowadays. They've always had trouble keeping them fresh becuase of the yearly updates, but I was still down with them. All these exclusive deals have just sucked whatever blood they had left in them. I have no faith in them or excitment for them anymore as a base feeling. It's just sad. Here's hoping there are a few this gen that reverse this trend.

Mifune

Mehmber
The Phils were certainly exciting in the postseason.

Come to think of it, Jimmy Rollins would be a good cover boy. He did win the MVP and all.

aparisi2274

funkmastergeneral said:
stolen bases aren't really worth that much. reyes is no rickey henderson.

How can you sit there and compare him to Henderson??? Of course he is no Henderson... Reyes has played what 2.5seasons with the Mets, so far.... Henderson played what 20 seasons...

Lets have this conversation again when Reyes is done and then we'll compare stats.

aparisi2274 said:
How can you sit there and compare him to Henderson??? Of course he is no Henderson... Reyes has played what 2.5seasons with the Mets, so far.... Henderson played what 20 seasons...

Lets have this conversation again when Reyes is done and then we'll compare stats.
Didn't Henderson already have a 100 steal season under his belt by that time? :D

I actually like Reyes. Saw him hit a grand slam at Angel Stadium in like his second week in the bigs three years ago.

rage1973

Pretty crappy pick. I can name 20 players better than him in the league. If they want a speedy player they should have gone the international route and picked Ichiro.

rage1973 said:
Pretty crappy pick. I can name 20 players better than him in the league. If they want a speedy player they should have gone the international route and picked Ichiro.

Reyes is from the Dominican Republic, so I guess they did

Drek said:
The hell?

Did 1UP seriously give those scores out? Have they ever actually played baseball?

I try to dodge the mainstream sites for sport sim reviews for that very reason, but 1UP's MLB:TS write up was a fucking abomination. Numerous factual errors and just plain lazy writing by Zuniga. He rated it highly on the PS2, but the polished up 60fps PS3 version magically became a mediocre game with phantom AI glitches and now suddenly hackneyed gameplay mechanics. He's a joke.

Vargas

Windu said:
Well I thought it was pretty damn exciting watching the mets those last two weeks of the season. I think it deserves three Excites.

Has there been any information on MLB 08 The Show?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
rage1973 said:

uhhh right..

But I would have loved to see Ichiro on the cover.. Or the King!

maybe we need to win some games first.. :(

duffey

Blackace said:
uhhh right..

But I would have loved to see Ichiro on the cover.. Or the King!

maybe we need to win some games first.. :(
I really hope Felix has a massive breakout season next year. it's fun to watch him pitch. Plus I think they can build on the progress they made last year. Also Putz is awesome.

eznark

Banned
aparisi2274 said:

Ah stolen bases. Fans delighting in meaningless stats is really a beautiful thing. For comparisons sake:

Reyes had 78 stolen bases and 119 runs scored.
Prince Fielder had 2 stolen bases and scored 109 runs scored.

Tell me again the real importance of a stolen base?

And just to keep the argument alive, Reyes doesn't take a lot of walks (77 walks to 78 strike outs) and had an OBP of .354.

If they were going to put a Met on the cover, it should have been Wright.

As long as Ryan Braun makes the cover of the next Power Pros though, I'll be stoked.

xbhaskarx

RBH said:
This might be even worse than having Derek Jeter on the cover again. :/

Umm, no. Although I'm not a huge fan, Reyes is one of the better young players in baseball (of course if they wanted to go with a young Latin American SS, Hanley Ramirez and his career *OPS+ of 130 wouldn't have been a bad choice), whereas I will never purchase anything with Derek Jeter on the cover.
What they need to do is make one box for each team, I might even consider buying a baseball game if Nick Swisher or Dan Haren was on the cover.

RBH

xbhaskarx said:
Umm, no. Although I'm not a huge fan, Reyes is one of the better young players in baseball (of course if they wanted to go with a young Latin American SS, Hanley Ramirez and his career *OPS+ of 130 wouldn't have been a bad choice), whereas I will never purchase anything with Derek Jeter on the cover.
What they need to do is make one box for each team, I might even consider buying a baseball game if Nick Swisher or Dan Haren was on the cover.

I was actually kidding around a bit since I'm a Braves fan. :p Reyes isn't so bad of a choice, and it's nice to get someone new on the cover, even if it is somebody from the Mets.

Would've been nice if it was someone like Francoeur though. :)

Top Bottom