• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLG Winter Features MK9, KOF13, and SCV

Grecco

Justin fell off a month after winning PDP. Unless he's somehow secretly leveled up x10 he has no chance of beating REO, CD bros, Detroit, PL.

He did win a Canadian tournament a few months ago though lol

Has PL been playing? He hasnt showed up in a tounrament in months if im not mistaken.

N4Us

KOF finals on MLG will be on Saturday so chances are you'll still have time to catch NCR KOF finals.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Capcom on blast?

KOF is pretty cool, but MK9 and SCV are boring as hell to watch. I'll be looking at whoever has Marvel.

rCIZZLE

I'm pretty excited for KOF. Sucks it's during NCR but that's really the only game I care about for MLG.

edit: wow those rules are dumb. KOF is going to take forever to finish.

If Players are scheduled to play each other for a 2nd time, their Match will expand to a Best of 11, include the previous Match, and pick up where that Match left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 Games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player A leading 3 Games to 0. The winner of a Finals Best of 11 Games Match will win the Event.

If a Match expands to a Best of 11, the loser of the Best of 5 Games Match may select a new Character for the next Game. The winner of the Best of 5 Games Match won’t be allowed to select a new Character for the next Game.

sounds awesome!

how much are the HD streams?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't see why you just can't watch KOF when it is on.

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Assuming I actually remember and there's nothing else I'm watching, sure I'll check the KOF stuff. I'm not boycotting MLG or anything, it's just that they're not covering games I'm interested in for the most part.

mlg_logo_4252.jpg

1986.gif

Totally random and late... And obvious, but since I never cared much for MLG or "E-Athletes" or whatever I never knew how the logo looked. Crazy copyright batman!

Anyway, NCR for me due to marvel and sf x t.

jbug617

Banned
NCR should be good with Haunts and Spooky doing the main stream. All the major So.Cal players should be there and I know Chris G and Laugh will be there.

Khezu

Heh, got 3 out of 4 of the choices right.

The one I got wrong was the KoF, totally thought Juicebox was gonna get chosen.

If the Players scheduled to play each other in the Finals have not yet played against each other, an initial Best of 5 Games Match must be played. If the Player that came from the Winners Bracket wins the initial Match, they will win the Event. If the Player that came from the Losers Bracket wins the initial Match, the Match will expand to a Best of 11, include the initial Match, and pick up where that Match left off. For example, if the Losers Bracket Player beat the Winners Bracket Player 3 Games to 0 in the initial Match, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and the Losers Bracket Player leading 3 Games to 0.

Is this some convoluted way of describing a reset in finals or am I not reading this right?

So if the person from losers side wins the first Best of five 3-2 they just need to 3 more matches while the guy from winners needs to win 4 more or am I wrong?

Is this some convoluted way of describing a reset in finals or am I not reading this right?

So if the person from losers side wins the first Best of five 3-2 they just need to 3 more matches while the guy from winners needs to win 4 more or am I wrong?

Thats right

Venfayth

Heh, got 3 out of 4 of the choices right.

The one I got wrong was the KoF, totally thought Juicebox was gonna get chosen.

Haha, I totally would love to see Juicebox commentating KoF. His commentary at FR was amazing.

-

On another note, about the extended series rule (which I hate, btw) Adam Apicella was talking about part of the philosophy behind it on twitter with a few people:

Say two players meet in winners bracket early on, Justin Wong and Arturo. Justin wins the set 2-0. Later, in the grand finals, it's a rematch between Justin Wong and Arturo. Arturo wins the first set 2-1 in order to reset the bracket, and then wins the final bracket and the grandfinals set 2-1. If you combine all the rounds they played against each other including their first meet early in winners bracket, they're actually 4-4, and yet Arturo wins the whole thing. This problem is potentially exemplified the higher # of matches you play per set.

3-0 justin in WB, then 3-2 arturo in gf1, 3-2 arturo in gf2, the winner could win 6 games and loser 7 games, and yet the winner won the matches later and takes the tournament.

So that's why MLG uses the extended series rule. From a certain perspective it makes sense, but from a FG perspective it doesn't make much sense at all, as people can change characters.

Venfayth

Arturo said he put jwong at the top of all the lists :p

I'm actually surprised at the low # of kof entrants. You could argue that 3-4 weeks isn't enough heads up, but take a look at the SCV numbers.

Hopefully more will show up at the door.

Top Bottom