• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

I think Nick might need a new catchphrase...

bcen7.jpg

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Yaco is crying somewhere because he thought Diaz would be the "one" to beat GSP.

And hello boogie.

I'm sorry for interrupting your gsp circle jerk. I can't wait for the excuses after the fight after another prosaic fight.

Zeliard

Fisticuffs said:
what happens when you don't show up for work?

There is a private meeting where things are talked over, I imagine, with the theme of "why didn't you show up for work today?" Being fired in a public press conference is something unique to more high-profile jobs.

Dana White always spoke of Diaz as a bad apple and was essentially anticipating something like this to happen. How often do people really change? It's a shame Diaz decided to be a dumbass and prove him right, but I think it could have been handled with more tact.

yacobod

Banned
Ah its in vegas, well now its harder to expalin why he skipped it, still seems like a harsh reaction from dana mcmahon.

Do you like MMA at all yaco? Or you just don't like UFC?

I'm not trying to insult you. It just seems from your posts that there's nothing and no one you like when it comes to MMA.

Zeliard said:
There is a private meeting where things are talked over, I imagine, with the theme of "why didn't you show up for work today?" Being fired in a public press conference is something unique to more high-profile jobs.

Dana White always spoke of Diaz as a bad apple and was essentially anticipating something like this to happen. How often do people really change? It's a shame Diaz decided to be a dumbass and prove him right, but I think it could have been handled with more tact.

He was fired at a public press conference because he was supposed to show up at the press conference. What were you expecting Dana to do exactly? Cancel it all together and lose money? Technically he hasn't even fired Nick yet. This is business.

Maklershed said:

I'm not trying to insult you. It just seems from your posts that there's nothing and no one you like when it comes to MMA.
he's joking usually as far as i can tell

For all the talk about "this never happening before", I wonder if Dana White forgot about Karo (who he have a lot of chances to.) He may not have backed out of press conferences but he pulled out of fights last minute due to his 'anxiety/painkiller' issues.

dream

sien916 said:
Mentioned the possibility earlier in the thread...Cesar is saying he has "a very deep ingrained social anxiety".

Cesar Gracie: 'I Can't Stick Up for Nick on This One'

That's such bullshit then. The UFC brought back mentally disturbed Karo Parisyan with all the painkillers and pills (prescribed or otherwise) he takes. The UFC gladly allows Dan Henderson, who puts the H in HGH, to fight. Why not Nick?

Shyness is a serious issue and Dana does a disservice to shy people around the world by punishing Nick so severely.

yacobod

Banned
Maklershed said:

I like the ufc, its the best the product has been in a long time with the influx of talent from the wec and soon to be strikeforce infusion. If anything my interest in smaller promotions and shit over in japan is at an all time low. And I think the fox deal will be good long term.

I'm disappointed that nicks no longer in the main event, and it sucks that the fotn co main event got squashed.

And who I like, check the fighters and legends section of the OT, I'm ride or die with all those fighters.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Fisticuffs said:
Dana haters in full force, up in here.
Who forget it's the Fertitas that have the final say in all matters.

The Ultimate Fighter would never have aired if Dana White had his way.

Fisticuffs said:
Dana haters in full force, up in here.
hating his actions, not him.

this was a bit rash, but is pretty much dana being dana.

we've been robbed of a truly epic card. Had we known this would play out like this I would have made plans to go to Houston for 136 instead.

SUPREME1

Banned
Master Thespian said:
It's not just about the press conference. It's about not being able to trust an unstable individual. Dana thought Nick could overcome whatever's going on in his head, but now he sees he can't. As he said, what sense does it make to let him skip every commitment and *hope* he shows up fight night?

This.

There is just way too much on the line, especially from a PR POV, for Dana to leave it up to Nick. When Dana signed on with FOX, he signed up for the big leagues. No more bullshit, not when FOX Sports is now associated with your brand.

Can you imagine if come fight night, Nick or another headliner went awol?

Heads would roll.

rkn

Damn, I prefer this new match up, but I really wanted to see Penn/Condit, wonder who BJ will face
and gas in the 3rd if he doesn't finish
now.

Heel

Hughes was offered both Koscheck and Fitch. I can see Fitch taking the opportunity since he's apparently ready to go.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Cesar Gracie is starting to make the media rounds, dude sounds heart-broken:

Cesar Gracie said:
"I've stuck up for Nick, even when he was wrong before," Gracie said. "But he's let a lot of people down. He's let his team down. We all bought plane tickets to Vegas. We got hotel rooms booked, paid for. We've got all that, and Nick just decided not to go to something he's supposed to. They're paying him a lot of money, and in this economy where people don't have money, he's blessed. He should be thanking God every night how blessed he is.

"And instead, he's not getting on a plane to go to Vegas. I'm extremely disappointed. He's done a lot of stuff, but this is the worst of it. If I were him, I would be begging Dana White to get my job back and work your way up to a title shot at some point."

"I'm not a psychologist. "I personally think there's some kind of social anxiety happening here with Nick. Dana said, 'You've got to play the game this much.' And this isn't even playing the game. This is about being a man and being responsible. And Nick has done neither in this situation."

"I've barely slept in the last couple of days, and it's sickened me. Here's the opportunity that I've worked for for over 10 years, to mold a guy to become the best possible guy, and to show he can be the best guy in the world. And he takes this opportunity and he acts like an immature child about it.

"It's disturbing, to say the least. He got what he deserved by not taking this fight. He told everybody he would do whatever it would take to do it, he lobbied for it, and he acts like this. Dana White is 100 percent correct in what he did."

dream said:
Brock Lesnar doesn't have to attend press conferences. I don't think Mirko does either.

Isn't the problem that Nick didn't even tell anyone why he wasn't showing up? People didn't even know where he was. They may have let him stay in the fight if he would've at least talked to them about why he couldn't show up.

Hopefully Nick becomes a spokesman for people that suffer with social anxiety and he can take the title and give those that can't step outside their houses, the ability to NEVER stop BELIEVING.

Zeliard

Fisticuffs said:
He was fired at a public press conference because he was supposed to show up at the press conference. What were you expecting Dana to do exactly? Cancel it all together and lose money? Technically he hasn't even fired Nick yet. This is business.

Uprooting your main event and canceling the co-main event, having to refund any number of tickets and modifying the marketing isn't ideal business. Dana White felt he had no other options, and what he did is fine, but it seems preferable to get in touch with Nick and truly find out where he stands and what he's about before making such a huge change. Ultimatums tend to be effective, i.e. "start showing up to these pressers or you'll be fighting for BAMMA."

If he's such a problem employee then they should have never even entertained offers to take him in the first place, despite his ability. Or else it's basically like anticipating the inevitable - Nick being Nick, and screwing shit up for everyone around him. It's too bad.

dream

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
But did he say he was gonna come and not show?.

That's a good point, I didn't know Nick promised to show up.

Still, you never know when Sudden Shyness Syndrome will kick in it.

polyh3dron said:
hating his actions, not him.

this was a bit rash, but is pretty much dana being dana.

we've been robbed of a truly epic card. Had we known this would play out like this I would have made plans to go to Houston for 136 instead.

you were robbed of an epic card, im not arguing that. your misplaced blame is the issue here and makes me rolleyes so hard my head hurts.

Zeliard said:
Uprooting your main event and canceling the co-main event, having to refund any number of tickets and modifying the marketing isn't ideal business. Dana White felt he had no other options, and what he did is fine, but it seems preferable to get in touch with Nick and truly find out where he stands and what he's about before making such a huge change. Ultimatums tend to be effective, i.e. "start showing up to these pressers or you'll be fighting for BAMMA."

If he's such a problem employee then they should have never even entertained offers to take him in the first place, despite his ability. Or else it's basically like anticipating the inevitable - Nick being Nick, and screwing shit up for everyone around him. It's too bad.

you are really naive. I'm gonna leave it at that because there is no arguing with people like you.

Top Bottom