• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Combat 5 E3 trailer (iOS/Android): Best looking mobile game yet?

BiggNife

Like a lot of other Gameloft games, it looks great but I'm not confident that it plays well.

I had my hopes up for Wild Blood, but it's janky as hell even with a MOGA gamepad.

Dingotech

I wonder what would happen if I go into a Halo or Killzone thread and post "lol controllers unplayable!" Without actually commenting on the game itself.

I guess that kind of blatant trolling is only cool in certain threads.

It's a shame but its terribly true.

I really tried to give touchscreen controls a chance over the last 3-4 years but it failed. They're worthless for certain games and they should just stop trying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A controller works just as we'll as a touchscreen for FPS.

TBF he's not entirely wrong, if it wasn't simply emulating a controller touching the screen to shoot would be more comparable to using a mouse than a controller. The obvious issue is it does analogue movement pretty badly much worse than a controller.

legacyzero

Banned
I wonder what would happen if I go into a Halo or Killzone thread and post "lol controllers unplayable!" Without actually commenting on the game itself.

Have you ever played an FPS with a touchscreen? It's not trolling when pretty much EVERYONE agrees.

BiggNife

What is so special about these games? They look uninspired and generic

They are visually impressive and in this case Modern Combat is the closest thing to a decent call of duty game on a mobile platform (Black Ops Vita is crap so don't even try to bring that up)

Basically almost all Gameloft games are "good enough" clones of games that aren't on iOS/Android otherwise. CoD (Modern Combat), Halo (NOVA), Diablo (Dungeon Hunter), WoW (Order and Chaos Online), LoL (Heroes of Order and Chaos), Final Fantasy (Eternal Legacy), etc.

They are visually impressive and in this case Modern Combat is the closest thing to a decent call of duty game on a mobile platform (Black Ops Vita is crap so don't even try to bring that up)

Basically almost all Gameloft games are "good enough" clones of games that aren't on iOS/Android otherwise. CoD (Modern Combat), Halo (NOVA), Diablo (Dungeon Hunter), WoW (Order and Chaos Online), LoL (Heroes of Order and Chaos), Final Fantasy (Eternal Legacy), etc.

Holy shit at those names. But I understand now. Essentially, nothing but mobility

bomblord

Banned
Wow are mobile games really that far ahead now? Or are they using some kind of trick to make it look like this.

Or is the frame rate horrible in actual gameplay?

Blearth

Banned
They're cheap phone games. People buy them in huge part because they're cheap and on a device they own. This hardly means controls are optimal.
Console shooters don't have optimal controls either. But they are playable.

Same thing with touch screen shooters.

MormaPope

Banned
The millions of people who buy these games don't agree.

The people that buy these games aren't financially voting which games/hardware have better controls.

It's cute that there's apparently two tiers of control for FPS games, optimal and not optimal.

RM8

Physical controls are automatically better than touch controls trying to imitate physical controls.

BiggNife

Holy shit at those names. But I understand now. Essentially, nothing but mobility

Mobility and the fact that they're all relatively cheap, $10 or less. When the average consumer sees a clone of a $60 game they own for $8 and they can play it on their phone or tablet, it's cheap enough that people will buy regardless of quality.

MormaPope

Banned
Physical controls are automatically better than touch controls trying to imitate physical controls.

Apparently they aren't because they both try do the same thing. Also, a FPS only controls well if it allows for mouse and keyboard control, using a controller is just as inferior as touch controls because millions of people buy iOS/Android games.

legacyzero

Banned
The millions of people who buy these games don't agree.

If I saw a game that was that cheap for a mobile device, I would probably have bought it too, unless I had previously learned my lesson, in which case I had. Touchscreen simply isn't a practical way to play an FPS.

Neo Child

Banned
Give me fully fledged starcraft 2 clone (the first one they didnt wasnt good enough)

Also, new asphalt please.

problem is gameloft games feel empty, soulless and without any sort of charm. i still enjoy some of the games, just they lack something ):

amazing spiderman was really fun on ipad.

flak57

Touch screen controls allow for more accurate aiming than a controller could ever dream of if the player is skilled enough. There are obvious problems due to the lack of buttons, but it's workable.

Two seconds of watching this guy move his view around the game should confirm to anyone that isn't jaded that these small rapid movements aren't even possible on a gamepad, and it isn't even close really.

Notice how he can snap his view to the opposite direction in an instant, more like a mouse than a joystick in regard to that -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8K3gtucesQ

Vibri

Banned
There's a world of difference between "what's possible" and "what works".

Yes, I'm sure someone can find a video from billions on Youtube of a guy demoing a game somewhat well. I could probably also find you a video of a dog climbing a palm tree if I really so wanted. That doesn't make it suddenly normal for everyone.

Mouse & keyboard IS the most responsive, but the true mass market acceptance of a console controllered FPS (Goldeneye) took the perfect-storm talents of RARE in its golden age with design guidance from Nintendo Japan, the world's most experinced consumer console group.

In this era of cheap console clones and gold rushing F2P poison we've yet to see that level of creativity / widespread cultural acceptance for a touch scene FPS, regardless of the massive installed base with hundreds of millions of mobile users. Frankly I doubt we'll ever see it.

Fusebox

Banned
MC 3 and 4 are two of my favourite iOS games and two of the best portable shooters ever, I think people were sick of me pimping the last two so hard.

Can't wait for 5, it looks fucking amazing, really wish they'd do Vita ports though, how hard could it be?!

Pity there's so many unco gamers out there who still haven't adapted to touch controls yet, I'm as good controlling MC on iOS as I am controlled MW on consoles.

flak57

There's a world of difference between "what's possible" and "what works".

Yes, I'm sure someone can find a video from billions on Youtube of a guy demoing a game somewhat well. I could probably also find you a video of a dog climbing a palm tree if I really so wanted. That doesn't make it suddenly normal for everyone.

Mouse & keyboard IS the most responsive, but the true mass market acceptance of a console controllered FPS (Goldeneye) took the perfect-storm talents of RARE in its golden age with design guidance from Nintendo Japan, the world's most experinced consumer console group.

In this era of cheap console clones and gold rushing F2P poison we've yet to see that level of creativity / widespread cultural acceptance for a touch scene FPS, regardless of the massive installed base with hundreds of millions of mobile users. Frankly I doubt we'll ever see it.

You could find me a video of a dog climbing a palm tree, but you couldn't find me one of a console joystick performing the rapid movements seen in that video.

ss_lemonade

I used to think the same with nova 3 and the previous modern combat game but after seeing how a lot of the effects, animations etc actually look like (and performance especially in android devices), I'll never rate a gameloft game as best looking mobile game ever, again.

Yawnier

Banned
This game doesn't interest me at all, but it is quite ridiculous to think how far graphics on portable systems/consoles have come over the last 10 years or so.

MrValtor

Banned
Say what you want about Gameloft clones but the production values of their mobile games in the past two years have being amazing considering the platform they are on.

Gimme a OUYA port

That would probably lag like hell lol The OUYA is pretty underpowered.

Funny just download 11GB marvel heroes pc, to see a 7 dollar iphone game with better graphics using same engine
crazy world

handheld fps are often meh, both 3ds and vita have pretty poor sticks for 3d movement. Touchscreen isnt that worse.

TaroYamada

Frankly it's not blatant trolling, it's the truth. Your position is the equivalent of console folks who try to say gamepads are better for FPS than mouse and keyboard, it's simply not true.

Vibri

Banned
You could find me a video of a dog climbing a palm tree, but you couldn't find me one of a console joystick performing the rapid movements seen in that video.

Depends if you like your shooters twitchy. I like mine like Goldeneye was: a masterfully accurate, original and innovative masterpiece that an entire college generation still talk fondly about.

Not holding my breath for a touch screen FPS that has anything like the impact, unless either someone comes up with a genius shooter control system that thousands have already tried and failed with, or mobile devices somehow figure out real location feedback.

Blearth

Banned
Frankly it's not blatant trolling, it's the truth. Your position is the equivalent of console folks who try to say gamepads are better for FPS than mouse and keyboard, it's simply not true.
The difference is that I don't go into console shooter threads and derail the discussion by shitting on an entire platform.

fallagin

Gameloft is really going to steal the iOS crowd underneath activisions nose. I mean their games on iOS aren't always of the highest quality, but they sure beat out activisions output as far as I can tell.

TaroYamada

The difference is that I don't go into console shooter threads and derail the discussion by shitting on an entire platform.

I see most of the people here saying the controls aren't well suited to FPS, I don't think touch controls are well suited to most genres but I think many would acknowledge they would work fine for most puzzle games and point and click adventure games for example. I fail to see the comments that are "shitting on an entire platform" in this thread.

But controllers aren't unplayable, touch screens are an issue for most players in FPS and similar genres. You could go to Wii threads and complain about the implementation of the motion controls in diferent games, in some games those were awful enough that warrented said posts even if some people find them fine.

Dragon

Banned

That's because console shooters are established. Touchscreen mobile shooters are not. Not sure how more clear it can be. Also strawman strawman whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when Blearth comes for you!

VanWinkle

Gameloft are very smart about using no realtime lighting and shadowing at all. Their games look good. However, as terrible as Resistance Burning Skies and Call of Duty Declassified are, they are still WAY better than the Modern Combat games.

Top Bottom