• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 is August's #8 Best Seller - NPD

Kagey K

Banned
Some games just print money
Yeah and I’d say Activision must be happy as hell since they didn’t have to do anything except say OK to MS making it BC, and it just printed them a bunch of bonus money they weren’t expecting.

This is twice now that a COD has charted years later thanks to BC. It’s especially crazy since the chart is based on revenue, not copies sold.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sadly the online is dead. Tried booting it up yesterday all lobbies are empty.

Kagey K

Banned
I feel like it really started with MW3
Yeah I get that also. MW3 was where people felt they took perks and killstreaks a bit too far.

Personally for me BO2 was still the best of the series, but I can make concessions to allow MW2 or 3 to be there instead.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh what's this someone left on the Table? oh its a wad cash, Must be Sony's

Kagey K

Banned
Oh what's this someone left on the Table? oh its a wad cash, Must be Sony's
Hey you keep it, what’s a few million dollars between friends?

My 10 year old shit is making money? Yay for me! I did nothing yet I get checks to take to the bank.

YMW3 was where people felt they took perks and killstreaks a bit too far.
MW2 was the first one with a nuke killstreak.
/end of discussion

Seriously though, once I noticed people camping for the 20-kill streak in every single match, I knew there was no coming back for the series. And I knew I was done with it.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Wasn’t this the game that started the COD hate? With noobtube and One Man Army? Or am I misremembering?

You are remembering correctly. When it launched there were a lot of complaints about the expanded killstreaks and noobtube and people were saying they were going back to COD 4.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
considering a lot of people on this forum says nobody want back compat surely this is evidence that people still want to play older games,why else would the Snes mini be so popular if nobodywanted to player older games. Considering Microsoft will let you play you old games for free if you still own them on currant gen hardware should be applauded and yes Cod MW2 was a highpoint In the series

pr0cs

considering a lot of people on this forum says nobody want back compat
You have to remember tho that the usual suspects that are hand waving away BC are warriors on the other side of the war.

Only a crazy person (or one with an axe to grind) doesn't want BC

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You have to remember tho that the usual suspects that are hand waving away BC are warriors on the other side of the war.

Only a crazy person (or one with an axe to grind) doesn't want BC

I get that so when positive news comes out I wanted to point it out and I know the person you are reffering to lol

Flapples

Cant believe ive still never played it. i had mw1 and mw3 but other than that i mostly played halo or battlefield back then...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
MW2 was the first one with a nuke killstreak.
/end of discussion

Seriously though, once I noticed people camping for the 20-kill streak in every single match, I knew there was no coming back for the series. And I knew I was done with it.
The simplicity and balance of less is more in COD4 compared to the games that followed are the reason it remains my favorite to this day, so I know exactly how you feel.

Xeilyn

I had alot of fun with this game when it came out but it really was a step back from Cod4. A ton of annoying stuff like noobtubes everywhere, commando and too many killstreaks.

It was too easy to get the powerfull killstreaks like the chopper gunner, AC-130, EMP or the nuke. Harrier strike at 7 kills that got you to 11 for chopper gunner and then that got you to 25 for the nuke, i know since im not a great cod player and i got the spinning nuke symbol for 10 nukes.

Codes 208

Quote from the announcement thread.
Once this starts getting full traction, I half expect this to make top 10 just like blops2 did.

Which is funny, right? I mean no one uses BC, right?
The crazy thing is wasnt this announced towards the end of August? It had about three or four days and still managed to get on the top 10.

Calibos

I have put a few hours in since it went BC...it's fantastic to go back to that simpler formula....and the Spec Ops mode is amazing. This was the game that had Enemy AI instead of endless waves...I love it!

considering a lot of people on this forum says nobody want back compat surely this is evidence that people still want to play older games,why else would the Snes mini be so popular if nobodywanted to player older games. Considering Microsoft will let you play you old games for free if you still own them on currant gen hardware should be applauded and yes Cod MW2 was a highpoint In the series

LOL! One game isn't the evidence. One game on chart won't do shit. One old game doesn't make BC must buy, console seller and other shit. It's just dude bro COD, man. Where are the other X360 games on chart? Oh wait....

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
LOL! One game isn't the evidence. One game on chart won't do shit. One old game doesn't make BC must buy, console seller and other shit. It's just dude bro COD, man. Where are the other X360 games on chart? Oh wait....
So much Salt. LOL
Next you tell us that EA ACCESS is not worth the money and gamepass is a ripoff 😂

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Second Cod to chart, Red dead redepemtion charted to

Catphish

In my opinion, MW2 was the best online offering CoD ever put forth. It was damn near perfect. I've never enjoyed hardcore tdm as much as I did in MW2.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
LOL. Which salt?
In almost 3 and a half years just three X360 games charted in NPD. BC is bigger than your own lives, man.

Dont forget a lot of people still have their old games and the fact they have chart back compat games shows it populat, u deffo have salt my friend

Kagey K

Banned
LOL. Which salt?
In almost 3 and a half years just three X360 games charted in NPD. BC is bigger than your own lives, man.
How many PS3 games have charted this year? Or in the last 3 years?

This is basically free money for publishers and downplaying the fact that an almost 10 year old game out sold some of August’s new releases does in fact make you seem salty.

Last edited:
Dont forget a lot of people still have their old games and the fact they have chart back compat games shows it populat, u deffo have salt my friend
How many PS3 games have charted this year? Or in the last 3 years?

This is basically free money for publishers and downplaying the fact that an almost 10 year old game out sold some of August’s new releases does in fact make you seem salty.

Yeah, yeah, one game shows backward compatibility is so popular. LOL.
Naaah, i'm not salty. It's just hilarious when you trying to show how backward compatibility is some huuuuge selling point, a system seller for Xbone, yet Xbone is outsold left and right by PS4 and Switch. You're delusional. Stay that way.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Naaah, i'm not salty. It's just hilarious when you trying to show how backward compatibility is some huuuuge selling point, a system seller for Xbone, yet Xbone is outsold left and right by PS4 and Switch. You're delusional. Stay that way.

And yet a positive post about backwards compat and you feel the need to be negative about it, seems your more interested in the console you dont own thsn the one you do. If ps4 has so many great games how have you got time to post in here

And yet a positive post about backwards compat and you feel the need to be negative about it, seems your more interested in the console you dont own thsn the one you do. If ps4 has so many great games how have you got time to post in here

Yeah, Xbone doesn't have anything yet you got time here to post too, right. :) I don't have anything against BC. It's great feature surely. But over hyping BC just because one game charted ( and it's not some low seller game on X360 ), it's hilarious. You won't see Splinter Cell on charts for example.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

I’ve never said BC is a huge selling point, nor have I ever claimed anything is a system seller for the XB1 or the PS4. I honestly don’t care how many consoles are sold as long as the systems stay viable and have games I want to play on them.

All I did was use sales metrics to show that BC helps publishers earn money off games released years prior. The rest you made up in your head.

Delusional as you said.

Wasn’t this the game that started the COD hate? With noobtube and One Man Army? Or am I misremembering?

Yep. You would be correct. I remember the commando perk in this game was absolutely broken and even after a patch still bullshit allowing you to knife people from 20 meters away.

Yeah and I’d say Activision must be happy as hell since they didn’t have to do anything except say OK to MS making it BC, and it just printed them a bunch of bonus money they weren’t expecting.
Does the NPD track traded in game sales or new/digital only?

I'm surprised there's enough new copies sold to show up on a chart. I assumed it'd mainly be second hand sales that Activision wouldn't get a cut from.

Kagey K

Banned
Does the NPD track traded in game sales or new/digital only?

I'm surprised there's enough new copies sold to show up on a chart. I assumed it'd mainly be second hand sales that Activision wouldn't get a cut from.

New physical/digital only. No second hand sales counted at all. We have to assume most of these sales are digital from Xbox store. I can’t see there being game shops with tons of stock (or any) of new retail copies.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah, Xbone doesn't have anything yet you got time here to post too, right. :) I don't have anything against BC. It's great feature surely. But over hyping BC just because one game charted ( and it's not some low seller game on X360 ), it's hilarious. You won't see Splinter Cell on charts for example.

I aint the one posting negative stuff in a playstation thread yet here you are posting negative stuff in an xbox thread, who is over hyping anything here? just you downplaying some positive news.
As I pointed out this is not the first backwards compatable game to chart but you have ignored that, now who is to say if splinter cell was made backwards compatibility it wouldn't chart in the top 20?
Now heres a thing going forwards with Sonys arrogant stance on backwards compatibility , what is going to happen to peoples digital collection when Sony moves to PS5? none of you games will play on the next console? at least I can be fairly confident that Microsoft will at least make this feature available on the next console

GenericUser

Remaster next year with Modern Warfare 4? I hope so.
I doubt it. I suspect MW Remasterd was only being made, because Activision knew that if they don't have a BOTG CoD, infinite warfare would have "bombed" (by cod standards) even more. Modern Warfare 4 on the other hand, has such a huge name behind it, it (sadly) doesn't need support in form of a remaster. I would absolutely love it, especially as a standalone release, but I don't see them doing this. They are not in the need to.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Quote from the announcement thread.

The crazy thing is wasnt this announced towards the end of August? It had about three or four days and still managed to get on the top 10.
It became BC on August 28th, so yeah only three days worth of sales. That's the part that blew me away.

Top Bottom