• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Remastered Spotted!!!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And you clearly don't remember MW2 launch records
A game released in 2009 isn’t going to beat out this years CoD.

MW2 sold around 25 million copies. The remaster ain’t getting that.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Aside from GTAV no remaster of a big name title has ever come close to matching the sales of the original.

Will a MW2 remaster sell? Sure, but I’ll be shocked if it gets even 20% of the numbers of the original. If it got 20% Acti would be doing cartwheels.

As somebody who loves and defends remaster, they’re never big ticket hit items. They’re cheap, easy sources of revenue.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
If true, wtf. Who the fuck asked for this? Why oh why would they remaster the campaign only.

I can think of one fairly good possible reason. It would impact the player count in their current online title which has the ability to produce far more digital revenue than a remaster of an older title. This way they can still market and sell a remaster while maintaining the current titles player counts and spending. They have the data from COD4 to see what impact that had on their current title back then, and the introduction of DLC to a remastered online game. This would have played a part in the decision I think, though it could equally be something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I can think of one fairly good possible reason. It would impact the player count in their current online title which has the ability to produce far more digital revenue than a remaster of an older title. This way they can still market and sell a remaster while maintaining the current titles player counts and spending. They have the data from COD4 to see what impact that had on their current title back then, and the introduction of DLC to a remastered online game. This would have played a part in the decision I think, though it could equally be something else entirely.
[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you're right. However, if a remastered COD MP can destroy the current, perhaps they need to figure out why.

Back when Black Ops 1 was out, a community I was part of pushed for David Vonderhaar to add more game modes into Hardcore. He had us in private matches playing Dom in HC working out certain things. Way before my Gaf days, first time I ever interacted with anyone in the game industry. It was the last time I ever seen COD Devs listen to what a community wanted.

If they could make a COD that satisfied their base, they wouldn't have to worry about a remaster overtaking their current game. They wouldn't even need to remaster old games

How are they going to include their beloved supply drops in a single player game? I imagine they made a lot from MW Remastered. Is it possible to release the MP aspect via DLC at a later date?

Last edited:

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I'm sure you're right. However, if a remastered COD MP can destroy the current, perhaps they need to figure out why.

Back when Black Ops 1 was out, a community I was part of pushed for David Vonderhaar to add more game modes into Hardcore. He had us in private matches playing Dom in HC working out certain things. Way before my Gaf days, first time I ever interacted with anyone in the game industry. It was the last time I ever seen COD Devs listen to what a community wanted.

If they could make a COD that satisfied their base, they wouldn't have to worry about a remaster overtaking their current game. They wouldn't even need to remaster old games

I don't mean in terms of it being a better game and so stealing players, just from a bean counting point of view. They cannot sell you a season pass for a remaster, so every player on the remaster is a player they can't spam season pass adverts at when they log in or dangle game modes to people that don't own it as with WW2*. They could add crates and cosmetics to the remaster but this is in poor taste for a remaster and was not well received with COD4, so again each player is someone not potentially buying crates in WW2. Not to mention it would require additional ongoing costs, instead of just being able to fire and forget a single player remaster, which will no doubt also feature in bundles with BO4, and now will not distract from that games multiplayer spending either. There is more win for them going single player only on this than loss.

*of course they can actually do this, put adverts for WW2 DLC in a remaster of MW2, but they can do this awful thing in a single player version as well.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Call of duty without multiplayer is just duty.

Dont do this activision, halo anniversary got a lot of backlash when 343 half-assed the mp by just making some maps for reach

DY0-7A5WAAAFyAa

Posted on Charlie intel twitter lol

Call of duty without multiplayer is just duty.

Dont do this activision, halo anniversary got a lot of backlash when 343 half-assed the mp by just making some maps for reach
it did? I don't remember it being that bad. Only really recall Halo 3 ODST receiving backlash after Microsoft bumped the price from $40 to $60(even almost halo fan I come across says the game was good regardless)

Bolivar687

Banned
It really speaks volumes about where the series is at when Activision knows they can't afford to re-release the series highlights anymore with their multiplayer component included. This should cement that realization and hopefully spark a serious debate internally about what has gone wrong with the series.

Crew 511A

It really speaks volumes about where the series is at when Activision knows they can't afford to re-release the series highlights anymore with their multiplayer component included. This should cement that realization and hopefully spark a serious debate internally about what has gone wrong with the series.

I think it says volumes about where the industry is in general. Last week I was upset over Sega and Capcom's lazy port compilations, but somehow Activision managed to top them both.

I'm sure Activision doesn't want MW2R's multiplayer to kill WW2's player base, which it absolutely would. Well, I'm playing MWR, and none of the people on my XBL friends list play WW2 anymore anyway, so that's a moot point. MW2R was a liscence to print money, and yet they found a wayto screw it up.

I mean, seriously? Who asked for this? Does this now mean we'll never get a true MW2 remaster? How much goodwill is Activision going to burn from customers who don't do their homework and find out they've purchased the first ever COD game with no multiplayer?

And furthermore, if Activision can screw something up as basic as this, can we really trust them in the future?

Crew 511A

For those still interested, a guy who's been pretty reliable about this sort of thing says there's going to be a reveal today at 2PM EST. He says MP is in tact, and will come with all the original maps except 2.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
MW2 multiplayer was awesome and I still wish they followed that style of game.

The only thing that could beat it in this years COD is if they strip back the stupid over the top science fiction BS and make the new BLOPs more like BO1. BO1 is still my fave, second only to MW2. For me, at least :) Nothing since came close, they lost me. Maps were bad, loot crates ruined it, and jet packs/wallrunning was just ugh.

TheWatcher

Banned
I came for the single player, but stayed for the spec ops. I wish they could somehow modified all the games in COD to include coop campaign, sadly it is only restricted to Black Ops III, and World at War.

A game released in 2009 isn’t going to beat out this years CoD.

MW2 sold around 25 million copies. The remaster ain’t getting that.

Not.

Even.

Close.

Aside from GTAV no remaster of a big name title has ever come close to matching the sales of the original.

Will a MW2 remaster sell? Sure, but I’ll be shocked if it gets even 20% of the numbers of the original. If it got 20% Acti would be doing cartwheels.

As somebody who loves and defends remaster, they’re never big ticket hit items. They’re cheap, easy sources of revenue.

True. You have to take into account how the landscape looked in the console industry when MW2 dropped; Less players online, PS3 had dreadful online and the consoles hadn't hit their stride.

20% of a shit load more possible purchasers/players, could really nudge the numbers up

Im pretty sure theyll bundle it with the newest COD in November but just like MWR, it will be included only with the deluxe edition. Otherwise you have to pay separately.

IMO MW2 is the 'ace up the sleeve' for Acti. If they ever, ever have a bad run of games like EA have, they can whip out MW2 remaster, 4k, 120fps online multiplayer 16vs16 to buy them some time to make another good game.

Just like EA are going to do when they remaster KOTOR 1 and 2...oops. I mean, ignore that.

Top Bottom