• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare III Xbox Disc Installs as Modern Warfare II

ManaByte

Gold Member

Selling people the same disc they did last year for $70

2241617-bobbykotick009_screen.jpg

Krieger

At this point why even release CoD games on a disc? Just put a download code in the box or stop with "physical" releases altogether.

skit_data

yea it’s like they didn’t even try to hide it knowing shills on the Internet will defend them and tons of people will pay full price
I don't think they even accounted for people shilling, tbh. CoD is big enough to just move numbers by pure inertia

Reactions: Isa
So is Microsoft selling MW3 as one of those old Windows upgrade discs that took your existing OS and made the changes under the hood? Is it really MW3? Or is it more like a MW upgrade disc to convert your version of MW2 into MW3?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
At this point why even release CoD games on a disc? Just put a download code in the box or stop with "physical" releases altogether.

Or..........................................how about they make a new COD game instead of DLC!

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't share the cynicism on this one.

The disc doing this is evidently not the current intention, but the only thing that proves is that a mistake was made.

That mistake is not necessarily them failing to cover up the conspiracy. Could it not be the case that they were supposed to be working from the MW2 starting point and intended to change everything to MW3 but simply cocked it up?

OP screenshot was so intent on posting that he didn't even follow through to see if it was playable and which game loaded.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I'm actually a bit impressed by the sheer "no fucks given" in terms of selling what was obviously planned as DLC as a new installment. Not even a platinum? Crazy tbh.
Seriously, I buy every COD I'm interested in and for the first time I'm legitimately pissed at the offering. This isn't just a "oh this one isn't for me" like Vanguard, this is honestly insulting to charge me 70 dollars for remastered maps and a campaign expansion.

On the other hand, buying these games is the reason they feel like they can get away with it so I guess I have myself to blame, but I'm also not going to support this shit regardless of how good the gunplay is when you're literally giving me shit I played 10 years ago and own in my Steam library

GHound

They knew MS was taking over soon and half of them would be getting laid off so fuck it
Shit. This may not be the answer but it's my headcanon going forward. That and I also love the mental image of the people at Sledgehammer just sitting around in a big fuckoff circle talking shit about Bobby "The Breast Milk Bandit" Kotick and wishing they'd actually had more than 16 months to put together their expansion pa- PREMIUM TITLE.

skit_data

I know some games that are sold only via the PS store don‘t have platinum trophies, or at least used to back in PS3 era.
Yeah, there aren't any trophies for The Orange Box on PS3 for example. The trophy system didn't launch until mid 2008 or something

Vblad88

With so much hussle with CoD installers, inadequate game size to fidelity ratio, I would not be surprised if the series will be first to become "streaming exclusive" for MS at some point in the future , or even "pay-per-stream"...

dotnotbot

At this point they shouldn't even bother with including anything on disc, just put some pngs with Kotick's wiener in there and ship it, whole games downloads from internet anyway.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it me or is the entire situation surrounding this game outrageous? DLC content sold at full price, bizarre installers, insanely massive install sizes, worst campaign ever churned out in record time with massive crunch, game disc installing previous versions of the game.

Ridiculous.

Goalus

What a shock!
When I bought Outriders Worldslayer on disc, it installed the Outriders base game, and I could unlock the Worldslayer DLC only by entering a code. How can this be!

It's still nice to have a disc cause you can freely resell it.
Not if MW3 is indeed an included code that needs to be redeemed.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
lol

It just gets better n better. What in the hell happened?

dotnotbot

What a shock!
When I bought Outriders Worldslayer on disc, it installed the Outriders base game, and I could unlock the Worldslayer DLC only by entering a code. How can this be!

Not if MW3 is indeed an included code that needs to be redeemed.

Well yes, but it's either a disc or a code and I'm talking about disc.

HoodWinked

completely insane, they have to master the disc anyways so its not even a cost cutting measure its just a complete "i dont give a fuck"

the only explanation is they had this on the docket for the Microsoft acquisition and needed to get it out the door as some kind of fulfillment of the contract.

Holammer

It makes some sense, Call of Duty will become one product with a single launcher going forward. The yearly additions add-ons.

Top Bottom