• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang creating a game in 60 hours for charity - Humble Bundle Mojam

Starting this Friday, February 17th at 10 CET Mojang will be creating a new game LIVE with all of the money going to charity. With the help of our friends at HumbleBundle.com, we are having a fun game jam weekend! By donating, you will be given the game created in the 60 hours (and maybe some other fun things too).

http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/15/humble-bundle-mojam/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A post on reddit has a summary/commentary of what has happened so far with images included.

Chavelo

GOD, NOTCH JUST NEEDS TO SHUT UP FOR LIKE A DAY AND STOP BEING AN ATTENTION WHORE! IT WAS ONLY AN ONE-HIT WONDER! YOU SUCK!

meanwhile, on 4chan...

Blizzard

Banned
It's interesting to see what happens when the whole company is involved and not just Notch (who has done Ludum Dare before). It certainly doesn't have to be ASCII since Notch made that pseudo-DOOM engine by himself time before last.

This is cool assuming it's a good charity, but unfortunately, Mojam sounds like toe jam. =(

Crub

Look like it is going to be a steampunk rts. D:

Seriously, when will people stop being so obsessed with steampunk?

zulux21

I can't wait to see what will come of this, and knowing humble bundle there will likely be a few nice bonuses to put icing on the cake.

At the very least I would love to see a beard get shaved with some fists if they reach a million dollars so they can count on me donating lol.

The_End

I've heard of 48-72 hour challenges in independent film making, but I wasn't aware that there was an equivalent in the world of gaming. I'm intrigued.

Rapstah

I wonder if they can possibly make use of all those people in that short time. Talking about concepts and getting the idea across to everyone steals a lot of time that Notch himself would just code in. His 2.5D adventure game last time was amazing to see coded though, especially now that I know Java. Stunning ability to keep track of shitty variable names.

Blizzard

Banned
Look like it is going to be a steampunk rts. D:

Seriously, when will people stop being so obsessed with steampunk?
I disagree with this since I like steampunk. I feel like there are not very many games that even use steampunk style, possibly only one other RTS that I'm aware of. I'm not a big RTS person but done right, it could be cool. :)

I've heard of 48-72 hour challenges in independent film making, but I wasn't aware that there was an equivalent in the world of gaming. I'm intrigued.
There's the ludum dare (multiple times a year) and the global game jame (which I have attended twice, happens annually, you form into teams). There are probably others too.

I wonder if they can possibly make use of all those people in that short time. Talking about concepts and getting the idea across to everyone steals a lot of time that Notch himself would just code in. His 2.5D adventure game last time was amazing to see coded though, especially now that I know Java. Stunning ability to keep track of shitty variable names.
And this is probably the most interesting thing about it. Valve has retreats, Bethesda had their week of put-whatever-into-Skyrim, Mojang is having their jam...but jams tend to be more difficult with more people, so maybe we'll get to see how well the Mojang people can work together.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
We want your help to choose the theme and the genre. The highest and lowest voted from each category will be combined for the game

So its a

WWII Steampunk RTS Beatemup?

I always wonder how stuff like this is possible. 60 hrs is an incredibly short time. I feel even just creating the basic engine would take longer than that, unless it's all hardcoding, not worrying about adding to it in the future...or using some existing engine or game dev environment

Blizzard

Banned
I always wonder how stuff like this is possible. 60 hrs is an incredibly short time. I feel even just creating the basic engine would take longer than that, unless it's all hardcoding, not worrying about adding to it in the future...or using some existing engine or game dev environment
Usually tools are the best option, unless the game is very simple or the programmers are really experienced.

My first game jam, most of the programmers wanted to use C++. I prototyped in GameMaker and then tried to help in C++, but we didn't finish in time and it was pretty much a mess.

The second game jam, it was a very small team (me + artist + sound/music/misc. guy), we kept our scope reasonable, and we actually made a semi-polished and relatively "complete", but very small, game. We used GameMaker so we didn't have to worry about the engine though, so there you go.

Haunted

Notch also did Ludum Dare, at least I'm pretty sure I played his 21 and 22 submissions.

They were ok, not that great.

If the whole team makes something with 25% more time, we could have something here.

Ultimadrago

Steampunk RTS?

irdjz.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm glad it's an RTS at least...it's going to be interesting to see from an object oriented perspective. I hope they make the code public. Any chance the make the code public?

Blizzard

Banned
Racing game, shoot em up, and beat em up are all nearly tied. People need to vote more for the category down there that they don't want to see. WWII racing RTS!

Ferrio

Banned
I picked dating game and candy land. Not because I like the combination, but those are the weirdest on their own. I'd hate to vote for a dating WWII game, and having RTS win with WWII

Mikeside

I'm hoping for a post-apocalyptic steampunk dating sim beat 'em up

Can't wait to beat up some steampunk dudes and steal their steampunk girlfriends whilst the world burns

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I disagree with this since I like steampunk. I feel like there are not very many games that even use steampunk style, possibly only one other RTS that I'm aware of. I'm not a big RTS person but done right, it could be cool. :)
I like steampunk but I don't like it when all its stylistic cues are taken from the steampunk vogue that's swept the geek communities in the past two years...

Looking forward to this!

I will never understand the internet's fascination with steampunk EVERYTHING. At the very least, if it were combined with Candyland, it might be neat. Still, I really think an RTS Beat 'Em Up could be cool.

Top Bottom