• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang just announced the Minecraft movie will be released on May 24, 2019!

DarkKyo

Ok but,
About fuckin what.
What story is there to tell.

The world in Minecraft is interesting enough, but you're right, it's a barren existence of minerals and spiders. Civilization barely exists in most Minecraft servers. The "conflicts" of the game can not possibly translate to interesting conflicts in a movie.

+ $300 million in promotion, according to Wikipedia.

Is there a source for that? I don't think I've ever known a film to cost so much in marketing. Even Batman v Superman had under $200 million in marketing, as I recall.

Edit - apparently it had a $250 million production budget and an estimated $165 million marketing budget, according to Wikipedia.

This thread is about a movie, and Minecraft is often compared to digital LEGOs, so I wanted to say that I watched The LEGO Movie for the first time this past weekend and I was really disappointed in it. I remember when it was out in theaters people said it was great and it was robbed of some awards that year and all sorts of hype. It was mediocre at best. I really don't get it. Most animated films that do really well are suitable for both adults and children but TLM was 99% a kids movie through and through. There were a couple lines of a semi-adult nature but they weren't funny in the slightest. My wife got up and went into the other room about 30 minutes in because it wasn't worth her time. I was also taken aback about how up front they are with promoting and trying to sell the toys to the audience. I mean, it's a LEGO movie, what did you expect, but I didn't expect people to go gaga over it if that was the case.

In the end it wasn't bad by any stretch but it wasn't really good either. I was just disappointed, is all. To bring this all back OT, I just hope the Minecraft movie is better than the LEGO movie.

Top Bottom