• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mola Ram is the best Indiana Jones villain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Amrish Puri plays incredible villains. They had to work the film to accomodate his schedule since he was filming a load of bollywood films at the same time, but it was well worth it. Spielberg was super high on the guy too, he called him the best villain the world has ever produced and ever would.

Did I see a dude saying Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom in this thread

MtZ9N.gif

This dude is fucking terrifying, between the whole look that rips off multiple religions,, the hearts being yanked out, the slavery, and the chilling performance of Amrish Puri.

I dunno why the other villains weren't this terrifying.

He's also got a boss theme song in which his followers chant his name.

Mola Ram is awesome. The heart pulling scene used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. I always had to look away. And for some reason I always thought even though I saw it many times that Willy's heart was gonna get pulled for some reason. :p I was a kid though.

Also this:

8JvdeZ4.gif

Its not my favorite Indy movie, but godamn its still great to me. I really dont get the hate.

Crystal skull on the other hand, oy

Sephzilla

Last Crusade > Temple > Raiders > Crystal Skull

Temple of Doom is great and Mola Ram is a great Indiana Jones villain. Love this movie.

doom1.jpg

Also has the most badass shot of Indy in the franchise

Temple of doom is so good only because it took such a drastic turn as a sequel. In regards to the villain, he's played by one of the best go to villain actor so can't say I'm surprised he stood out as a great villain. Was so disappointed when the actor died a while back.

Mola Ram was the only villain in the series who I thought might actually kill Indy when I was a kid.

That whole movie was brutal as shit.

Boney

Banned
Temple of Doom just has good villains all around.

indy_000632.jpg

Willie: What's that?
Lao Che: Antidote.
Indy: To what?
Lao: The poison you just drank, Dr. Jones!
That opening sequence is my favourite bit from all the movies, from opening with anything goes, the subsequent suave reveal of Indy, the banter at the table, the panic after impaling a guy with a shish kebab and trying to get the antidote and the get away ending in the crash landing.

It's weird since it's so foreign to what IJ is but that's why it works so well.

Fuchsdh

I like ToD but would say it's worse then Crystal Skull. I always hated how TOD basically felt like an action movie with Indiana Jones written in later. The other three really feel like proper Indiana Jones movies more grounded in historic contexts.

Honestly for all its faults Crystal Skull only really lost me at the end, where... yeah, it just turned out to be aliens. It's weird to think that would break me in a film series where there has been straight-up Judeo-Christian magic, but it did.

Likewise Temple of Doom feels like it's not in the same universe throughout, even if I like parts of it (the whole opening and "nice try" bit, and definitely how much Mola Ram gets into the business of being evil.)

Makonero

Temple of Doom is good. The opening is great. But the best opening to an Indy movie is River Phoenix and the circus train chase. So good.

I love all of the Indy films unabashedly, even Crystal Skull.

I just don't like Mutt. I liked the crazy alien turn at the end.

Kali ma, shack to shay

Gorum gorum gorum sudarum

At least that's what I heard and my rudimentary Punjabi heard "black mother something" and"white something something"

Same here!

Mola Ram is a fun villain and it's a shame he didn't get a bit more screentime. The scene where his dummy he escapes from Indy using the secret floor passage cracks me up every time.

Sotha_Sil

I love all of the Indy films unabashedly, even Crystal Skull.

I just don't like Mutt. I liked the crazy alien turn at the end.

Same here!

I never got the hate on Crystal Skull. Outside of a truly horrific 15 minute sequence (monkey swinging, swordfight, ants, and riding the branch into the river) and the nuke test, I thought it was a pretty good Indy adventure. Mutt was meh, but Short round and the woman in ToD are certainly worse. I appreciated the move from Nazis to Soviets and have no problem with the aliens.

I'd probably go Raiders > Crusade > ToD > Crystal Skull, with the gap between ToD and CS being very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom