• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Molyneux/Lionhead press conference at Gamescom - Microsoft announcement

Shogun PaiN said:
I think its obvious to anybody with half a brain that Sony are in the last chance saloon with the PS3 right now in terms of sales. Therefore they are the only current company with a console on the market that have to dress up a usually low key event with a full blown conference.

Its desperation in its purest form.
Shame on them!

OnPoint

Shogun PaiN said:
I think its obvious to anybody with half a brain that Sony are in the last chance saloon with the PS3 right now in terms of sales. Therefore they are the only current company with a console on the market that have to dress up a usually low key event with a full blown conference.

I think the Slim will be a hit, and the "desperation" will pay off. Sony has a chance to get the PS3 into more hands with the Slim system, if they market aggressively and give it a chance to succeed. They're in a great situation right now, so long as they keep the gas pedal down. The only derailment I could see is if Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 day of launch.

ShogunX

OnPoint said:
I think the Slim will be a hit, and the "desperation" will pay off. Sony has a chance to get the PS3 into more hands with the Slim system, if they market aggressively and give it a chance to succeed. They're in a great situation right now, so long as they keep the gas pedal down. The only derailment I could see is if Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 day of launch.

The next few months of NPD should be interesting to say the least. For me personally though the only thing attractive about the slim is the price, But then I do have a 60 gb BC model :D

BlazingDarkness said:
Shame on them!

Deep breaths DEEP breaths.

Shogun PaiN said:

so.. Gamescom is a low key event because there are no full blown conferences, and if someone like Sony (or EA for that matter) do one, then only because they are desperate?
All these years TGS was a low key event, too because of no MS or Nintendo PCs at all?

Don't you think the companies rather SHOULD do announcements at Gamescom so it's not such a "low key" event?

But I think you just want to grind on the fact that I brought the Sony PC as an example into it, so I guess we try to argue on different things here...

OnPoint said:

The slim seems like a reboot of the PS3 altogether, Sony need to market it properly this time, they can't afford anymore "This is Living.." campaigns

ShogunX

SolidusDave said:
so.. Gamescom is a low key event because there are no full blown conferences, and if someone like Sony (or EA for that matter) do one, then only because they are desperate?
All these years TGS was a low key event, too because of no MS or Nintendo PCs at all?

Don't you think the companies rather SHOULD do announcements at Gamescom so it's not such a "low key" event?

But I think you just want to grind on the fact that I brought the Sony PC as an example into it, so I guess we try to argue on different things here...

An argument? :lol Jesus christ.

ok I'll humor you

Compared to say E3 I would say Gamescom is a low key event where major announcements aren't usually to be expected but then I suppose things can and will always change. The desperation part IMO comes less from whatever venue/event they chose to announce it at but more the fact that it seems a little strange releasing a system redesign when there's nothing wrong with your older model except the price.

If anything it just really highlights how badly Sony fucked up the initial release of the original PS3. Maybe Sony should concentrate a little less on the redesigning of systems and more on how to effectively price and market them.

Doubledex

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:

ok I'll humor you

Compared to say E3 I would say Gamescom is a low key event where major announcements aren't usually to be expected but then I suppose things can and will always change. The desperation part IMO comes less from whatever venue/event they chose to announce it at but more the fact that it seems a little strange releasing a system redesign when there's nothing wrong with your older model except the price.

So why releasing the PSONe, or the PS2 Slim? The older models were all great

Shogun PaiN said:

ok I'll humor you

it seems a little strange releasing a system redesign when there's nothing wrong with your older model except the price.

The whole purpose of the re-design was to get the production price down , that was the problem with the older model !

jorma

is now taking requests
abacab driver said:
Wow @ people thinking it was a full on MGS conference.
Really, gaf? :lol

But yeah..Fable 3 sounds like an incredible game from the info so far..Peters such a perfect choice for creative director at MGS. :D

So let's see.. eurogamer referred to it as a microsoft conference. So did kotaku, vg247, n4g and yes - even the homepage for the gamescom event did.
Yet gaf is retarded for thinking it was a MS conference rather than a Lionshead conference? Oki, cool.

Arnie

Doubledex said:
I'm pretty sure there are other threads to discuss the PS3 slim.

Fable 3 looks great. Microsoft have a great lineup next year along with Sony. Come to think of it so do Nintendo with MG2 and Metroid. Shit, 2010 is an expensive year.

Shogun PaiN said:

/sigh

STILL not my point at all. I didn't want to start a Sony PC vs MS PC fanboy-debate or even why (wth?) Sony made big announcements, but to show that Gamescom is not an unimportant event / that other companies don't think it is. Also the importance is defined by which announcements are made, so if other companies WOULD do more announcements (if they actually have something to announce), it is no low key event anymore. But I forgot, everyone who makes big announcements/shows big stuff at Gamescom is desperate...)

iceatcs

Fucking thanks god I decided sleep longer.

Still it is nice to have Fable 3 but I think it is wee too early to talk that much even for Fall 2010.
I don't think it will have full natal support (hope not) but maybe some mini games internal will be fine.

KillerAJD

As somebody who has never played a Fable game, Fable III sounds pretty awesome. I say sounds because I know the stigma of Molyneux overhyping his games. Regardless, it sounds interesting, and it'd be nice to see something new in the RPG style.

Oli

Can someone fill me in on what was said at this conference? I was waiting until it was over to order my 360 in case they announced some price drops or something crazy. I knew it was unlikely, but at any rate, they didn't announce anything like that right?

Syringe

duckroll said:
Both press conferences sucked balls. Let's just leave it at that. :p

This man speaketh the truth unfortunately
sad.gif

iceatcs said:
Fucking thanks god I decided sleep longer.

Still it is nice to have Fable 3 but I think it is wee too early to talk that much even for Fall 2010.
I don't think it will have full natal support (hope not) but maybe some mini games internal will be fine.

If anything, this makes me slightly more confident about Microsoft in 2010. If they're willing to announce Fable III now and Reach at E3, that means two of their big Christmas 2010 games are already on the table.

Possibly Crackdown 2, too, if that's out that soon.

If they're willing to show this hand so soon, it must mean they've got some stuff (Rare?) lined up for at least E3 next year.

leehom

Shogun PaiN said:
xbox fanboy rant zzzzz
Have you heard of the word timing? Gamescom happened around the same time Sony planned on introducing the PS3 slim. If Sony were to release it soon or later, they would introduce it during those conferences (E3, TGS). zzzzz

The reason Sony did the Slim now and not at E3 is simple.

1) The Slim wasn't ready to go and announcing it then would've damaged PS3 sales in June, July & August
2) They were already announcing the PSPGo (which is not a replacement for the 3000, and so doesn't effect sales)

It's that simple. It's not them trying to dress up an event, the timing was right. Now, I'm excited about Fable 3, so can we get this shit out of this thread please and discuss that

Man, MS...where were any sort of reassurances about Crackdown 2, Rare's stuff, and anything else from the Euro studios? Pretty disappointed that they didn't use the opportunity to talk about them and those titles. Fable III sounds great, but...

RBH

Oli said:
Can someone fill me in on what was said at this conference? I was waiting until it was over to order my 360 in case they announced some price drops or something crazy. I knew it was unlikely, but at any rate, they didn't announce anything like that right?
Only thing they really went over was Fable III, no news on price drops or anything like that.

Top Bottom