• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Money] How to beat the price of gasoline - forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Phoenix said:
You don't have any fast food or other restaurants nearby? Since they have to pay to dispose of the stuff, I don't think they'll have any problem giving it to you by the truckload. In a week you'll have hundreds of gallons of oil - easily. Your bigger problem is stockpiling it.
You can get permission to dumpster dive...most do. Restaurants aren't going to box up their garbage for you, though.

So, how long do you realistically think all this is going to take you per tank? Oil collection and production?

Phoenix

border said:
You can get permission to dumpster dive...most do. Restaurants aren't going to box up their garbage for you, though.

You can't put waste oil in the garbage without continuous fines and eventual jail time :) Waste oil must be stored in plastic containers for removal from restaurants. Then they have to pay someone to take it away and dispose of it properly.

So, how long do you realistically think all this is going to take you per tank? Oil collection and production?

Realistically? If I had a source of waste oil already, a few hours a week tops. The processing systems are already there and fairly mature. Some of them even have regulation gas pumps on them so you can actually drive up to it and pump like a gas station.

SickBoy

Interesting that Bush today talked about getting ethanol from wood chips and such. Would around the whole "Frankenfood" fear... I think.

Phoenix

SickBoy said:
Interesting that Bush today talked about getting ethanol from wood chips and such. Would around the whole "Frankenfood" fear... I think.

Yeah, the whole problem with woodchips, sawdust, etc. is that the processing is a LOT more complicated. Not to mention that you don't have those items in large volumes normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom