• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

I do think the premise of the rumour, which was the same as what onilink88 suggested, is fairly accurate. I think onilink88's theory makes perfect sense.

Btw, did you notice how Xenomorph is, phonetically speaking, a semi-inverse homonym of Xenoform? Weird shit going on here! lol

It's probably not a coincidence. The word form may be derived from μορφος or morphos. It's fairly common for sounds to be flipped around, much like the proto-Indo-European spek went through Latin to eventually give us words like speculate and spectacle, but it also was flipped into the Greek skopos which became the Latin scopus, giving us scope.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's probably not a coincidence. The word form may be derived from μορφος or morphos. It's fairly common for sounds to be flipped around, much like the proto-Indo-European spek went through Latin to eventually give us words like speculate and spectacle, but it also was flipped into the Greek skopos which became the Latin scopus, giving us scope.

I feel my time at University studying English has been wasted on useless nonsense lol. We never deal with anything cool like this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
LnqfR.gif

How did I miss this? Any chance of a 3DS version? I don't care about shitty graphics if you give me mechs vs dinosaurs on the go.

D-e-f-

Banned
DAT MUSIC in the trailer.. at the start when its black and says Nintendo / Monolithsoft I get feels.

E3 GET HERE!!

And then the horrible "epic" part starts and I get extremely worried about the music in that game. Sawano is a terribly one-sided composer in my book.

onilink88

And then the horrible "epic" part starts and I get extremely worried about the music in that game. Sawano is a terribly one-sided composer in my book.

I'd never heard of Sawano before X's reveal, admittedly, and I have no idea of the general quality of his work. However, if the music in the trailer is any indication, he's an incredibly talented composer. The piece we heard exuded an adventurous and majestic grandeur and did an excellent job of carrying the atmosphere the game- rather, that particular area, at least, seems to be aiming for.

Also, if memory serves, Takahashi was very involved with Xenoblade's score, and I remember how Shimomura and co. said he was a very exacting director, so I have no doubt that he'll have Sawano tailor his compositions to the exact needs of the game. Here, a great article on Siliconera that mentions just how exacting he can be (there's an amusing bit about how a critical email of his was a bit too harsh and had to be "softened"):

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/0...unity-in-disparity-in-the-music-of-xenoblade/

Anyways, why are we talking about music? There're much more pressing matters to discuss, like... fan and manservice.

xdatass.gif

And "pigtail chick"'s booty bubbles when she runs (would make a gif, but her appearance is far too brief). Seriously; those are some wagons they're draggin'!

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
As long as Sawano doesn't put any kind of lyrics in his music, I will be okay. I just remember one of his soundtracks included German and it was just abysmal. >_>

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd never heard of Sawano before X's reveal, admittedly, and I have no idea of the general quality of his work. However, if the music in the trailer is any indication, he's an incredibly talented composer. The piece we heard exuded an adventurous and majestic grandeur and did an excellent job of carrying the atmosphere the game- rather, that particular area, at least, seems to be aiming for.

Also, if memory serves, Takahashi was very involved with Xenoblade's score, and I remember how Shimomura and co. said he was a very exacting director, so I have no doubt that he'll have Sawano tailor his compositions to the exact needs of the game. Here, a great article on Siliconera that mentions just how exacting he can be (there's an amusing bit about how a critical email of his was a bit too harsh and had to be "softened"):

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/0...unity-in-disparity-in-the-music-of-xenoblade/

Anyways, why are we talking about music? There're much more pressing matters to discuss, like... fan and manservice.

xdatass.gif

And "pigtail chick"'s booty bubbles when she runs (would make a gif, but her appearance is far too brief). Seriously; those are some wagons they're draggin'!

I hadn't heard of him before the trailer either but I have since been made aware of other exemplary compositions of his. And they all followed the same pattern (as in, they all kind of sounded like the trailer music with the big crescendo in that key I really really can't stand).

I'm currently holding out hope that Sawano is a token inclusion because he is a big name in the anime music world and that Takahashi is assembling a "team" of composers again like he did with Xenoblade. It's already a bummer since I loved everything about the Xenoblade score soooo much and the X score starts out with me being not psyched at all.

wrowa

Well, I would be surprised if Sawano's the only one doing the music after Xenoblade needed half a dozen composers. If X isn't a radically smaller game, I doubt that he'd be able to do all of the necessary music on his own.

Are these on Crunchyroll or something? I don't really have the money to buy or import DVDs/BDs right now...

Attack on Titan is on Crunchyroll. Sawano worked on that show as well. It's awesome.

Well, I would be surprised if Sawano's the only one doing the music after Xenoblade needed half a dozen composers. If X isn't a radically smaller game, I doubt that he'd be able to do all of the necessary music on his own.

I think Sawano can handle it on his own, but if there is any other guys composing for this game, I imagine they'll all be from Legendoor, like Yuki Hayashi and Wada Takafumi and rest of that gang, similar to how ACE+ worked on Xenoblade.

Hiroyuki Sawano is one of my favorite Japanese composers so I'm thrilled he's working on a video game. Since "X" got revealed in January, he's worked on Platina Data (live action movie) and Attack on Titan (anime) and will soon be releasing an acoustic arrange soundtrack for Blue Exorcist.

I'd never heard of Sawano before X's reveal, admittedly, and I have no idea of the general quality of his work.

Oh, lemme join the band wagon. Watch this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41MzhIhbPTs

Sawano music in the background. :D

I need to order this movie.

Rich!

I'm anxious about the music. I loved ACE+'s work.

Anyway. I'm still hedging my bets that this will be Xenoblade 2. So fucking pumped for next Tuesday!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A Xenoblade sequel would be really forced. I mean, the ending arguably left an opening for something to come afterward, but there aren't really any remaining plot threads open or any reason for a sequel other than "because."

onilink88

And they all followed the same pattern (as in, they all kind of sounded like the trailer music with the big crescendo in that key I really really can't stand).

Well, I think it's on a purely coincidental basis that the trailer music resembles his other works (the footage shown did demand such an arrangement, after all), as opposed to him being incapable of running the gamut. In fact, as I pointed out in my analysis, the trailer seems to incorporate two pieces edited together - both pretty distinct in their arrangements and what they convey. In any case, I have confidence in Takahashi's decision to go with him, and I doubt he would have Sawano uniformly apply the template of the second segment to all of the game's music. :)

I'm currently holding out hope that Sawano is a token inclusion because he is a big name in the anime music world and that Takahashi is assembling a "team" of composers again like he did with Xenoblade.

I dunno; I very much doubt he's simply a token inclusion. He's either going to be lead composer as the trailer implies, or he's going to pay a significant (read: the biggest) contribution in a team of composers. That's the impression I get, anyway.

I miss Mitsuda :(

Hopefully he will do SOMETHING for X.

Hmm, given his involvement with the Xeno series, I wouldn't be surprised if he returned in some capacity.

This is a good point. If one is to assume that X is as big or bigger than Xenoblade (it has ninety-one tracks according to vgmdb), it would seem like an overly daunting task for a single person to undertake. But people more familiar with his abilities as a composer, like Spirit Icana, are saying that he's up to it, so we'll see.

Attack on Titan is on Crunchyroll. Sawano worked on that show as well. It's awesome.

Oh balls, haha. I've watched a couple of episodes, and I like the premise, but I find myself unable to appreciate the art or endear myself to most of the characters. The insufferably obstreperous nature of the main character, especially, engenders nothing but disdain in me. I suppose I could suffer through it if only to hear Sawano's work... and for the gore and guts, of course. :D

A Xenoblade sequel would be really forced. I mean, the ending arguably left an opening for something to come afterward, but there aren't really any remaining plot threads open or any reason for a sequel other than "because."

That's certainly the way I feel. But... it seems Takahashi believes there's enough substance left over upon which to build a sequel.

From a Nintendo Power interview:

Nintendo Power said:
Over the course of Xenoblade Chronicles, players explore the world so thoroughly that it doesn't leave much room for a sequel. Do you have any thoughts as to how you might build it into a series?

Tetsuya Takahashi said:
Do you think so? I always build room for sequels into all of my games.

Who knows what's going on in that crazy little head of his. That said, I certainly don't think X is it.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member

A Xenoblade 2 would have to be set in the distant future if anything. It'd be pretty much be a spiritual successor.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'll post the problems I had with Xenoblade hoping someone with some influence reads them and fixes them in X (yep, I'm delusional and I should be sleeping), I loved Xenoblade, but I feel there are some problems that are very easy to fix:

- Finding all quests is nearly impossible without a faq, maybe do a guild or make people who ask for quests available at all times at the same place (or day/night cycle, but some NPCs have the weirdest movements), until the quest is fulfilled.
- Finding people after the quests are done is a fucking chore, just give the option to teleport to any person in the people chart and change the clock if needed.
- The final part of the story is insane.
- One of the aspects the developers are particularly proud of is that the world is built over giant robots or something; it was nice, I guess, but the game is so big you never notice that, you can scrap the robots and do a new world, I don't think anyone will miss that.
- Everyone loves big towns, but some of the towns/cities were insanely large, make them smaller, or make an easy way to explore them without needing hours to do so.
- Kill the goonies/gnomes/rabbits or whatever those little shits are, replace them with something useful

Things I loved:

- The gameplay is awesome, fighting feels right, exploring is rewarding (except that damn lake with a waterfall)
- The world is amazing, enemies belong to that world, they have ecosystems, reactions, etc.
- Visible equipment on a jRPG, awesome!
- You can change the time anytime, you can teleport anytime, that's great.
- You are warned when a city is going to suffer changes, so you can do the missing quests, that's nice.
- Music is awesome, and awesome music makes half of a successful jRPG.

It's awesome that a developer could get so many things right when trying to make a XXI century jRPG, especially since I don't think they had a huge budget or anything like it, but there are little details scattered through the game and I really think this has the potential to be the FF killer Nintendo desperately needs (since S-E won't bother to bring a real FF to a Nintendo console); in fact, I think the game is better than any FF game ever, even IV, VI and IX.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
I'll post the problems I had with Xenoblade hoping someone with some influence reads them and fixes them in X (yep, I'm delusional and I should be sleeping), I loved Xenoblade, but I feel there are some problems that are very easy to fix:

- Finding all quests is nearly impossible without a faq, maybe do a guild or make people who ask for quests available at all times at the same place (or day/night cycle, but some NPCs have the weirdest movements), until the quest is fulfilled.
- Finding people after the quests are done is a fucking chore, just give the option to teleport to any person in the people chart and change the clock if needed.
- One of the aspects the developers are particularly proud of is that the world is built over giant robots or something; it was nice, I guess, but the game is so big you never notice that, you can scrap the robots and do a new world, I don't think anyone will miss that.
- Everyone loves big towns, but some of the towns/cities were insanely large, make them smaller, or make an easy way to explore them without needing hours to do so.
- Kill the goonies/gnomes/rabbits or whatever those little shits are, replace them with something useful

Hrm. I have to disagree on a few areas here.

1. Having a ridiculous amount of quests and finding the damn people I can see that as a con. So I'll agree with you there. X really needs a better way to indicate where these people are.

2. No comment on the last part the story.

3. I think people will disagree with you here. The fact that it took place on two damn robots is pretty impressive. Half the times I was wondering if a single place is this goddamn big, the mecha I'm on must be ginormous. It really gives scale to the world.

4. I think the towns were pretty small to be honest. Colony 9 got me lost, but the other places were easier to follow through. They were also no where as big as the maps they were in.

5. Shit creatures are a part of every RPG. :) Think of MS with their shit slimes and shrooms. ;D

No ill will though. I'm just stating my opinions, and I think your opinions are completely valid if thought in a different perspective from mine.

I think quests are fine as they are, it's the system that is lacking some depth in the sense that it should work a little bit like majora mask. Majora mask told you the hours people were out, and where, for instance: "Day 1, 2 or 3, anytime - North Clock Town" for the first entry.

If people changed places it would be there, not exactly where they are, but an area to search for. This is specially frustrating on Frontier Village, I mean they're all basically the same thing the city has like 10 levels, and yet I can't even get a ballpark for their location; floor numbers please? stuff like "0.00 to 6.00 near the plaza" would make a huge difference.

I think something like douse from Zelda SS or teleporting is too much though. And I didn't really use a walkthrough to find quests, and still did more than 400.
I liked it.
Bionis was not even mild robotic. Very organic and by the time you explore it, very decaying.

That setting was genious, I doubt they can go that path again, but it added a lot to the concept.
Go play FFXIII, don't ask to streamline something like this.

Yes, they take hours; holy shit actual cities on a RPG this generation. It's a dying breed, don't kill it.
I really think this has the potential to be the FF killer Nintendo desperately needs (since S-E won't bother to bring a real FF to a Nintendo console); in fact, I think the game is better than any FF game ever, even IV, VI and IX.
FF has lost prominence, you can trust S-E to kill themselves/it.

A replacement of sorts that, at a lower budget, ridicules S-E attempts? yes.

Taruranto

What was insane about Xenoblade story?

It's actually rather tame compared to other Takahashi works and pretty much in line with other jrpgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom