• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh boy Switch release basically confirmed? I'm glad 'cause given the choice I'd buy it there instead that on my PS4/X1 (if really good I'd double dip later on PC).

Oh boy Switch release basically confirmed? I'm glad 'cause given the choice I'd buy it there instead that on my PS4/X1 (if really good I'd double dip later on PC).

It's not basically confirmed. It's full-on confirmed. It's happening, baby!

I want as many games like this on Switch as possible. Sonic Mania next, please.

As OrbitalBeard said it's full-on confirmed! So confirmed that it's one of the major reasons they're delaying the game - to be there for the Switch launch. The game is basically done, what's happening is commercial manoeuvring at the moment to maximise their potential sales. Evidently they believe launching with the Switch will help them shift more units. I'd strongly expect the game to release in March now, just in time for the Switch launch.

It's not basically confirmed. It's full-on confirmed. It's happening, baby!

I want as many games like this on Switch as possible. Sonic Mania next, please.

Now there's a game that definitely needs to be confirmed for the Switch. Sonic does well on Nintendo platforms - it has to be there for the Switch launch.

MacTag

Banned
I hope the Dragon's Trap remake also makes it Switch. Is that confirmed for anything yet or is it still just "PC and consoles"?

Now there's a game that definitely needs to be confirmed for the Switch. Sonic does well on Nintendo platforms - it has to be there for the Switch launch.

Can't imagine sonic mania would be a hard port, taxman's previous games all run on arm already. I assume it's an iteration of the same underlying retro engine.

I hope the Dragon's Trap remake also makes it Switch. Is that confirmed for anything yet or is it still just "PC and consoles"?

Checking their development blog nothing new has been announced just yet:

Q: What will the game be released on?
A: So far we are announcing a vague “Consoles/PC” as our target platforms. Truth is, we are still figuring out the best ways to reach most of you. Whenever we have more information we will let you know.

Hope the game also makes it to the Switch! Both games are on my radar as a massive Wonderboy fan. Excited for both projects.

Can't imagine sonic mania would be a hard port, taxman's previous games all run on arm already. I assume it's an iteration of the same underlying retro engine.

Yeah it's super strange that Switch wasn't confirmed when Mania was announced whilst Project Sonic 2017 was and is arguably the much harder port. It's as you say a very easy port and Mania, like Monster Boy is scheduled to release around the Switch launch. They'd be missing out on easy money. Hope we get Switch confirmation soon. Taxman has stated they'll be revealing more about the game and making some announcements early next year so hopefully that includes the announcement of a Switch port.

Some more info from Thomas at FDG on the development blog. Responding to me:

Ghost_Messiah on Saturday, November 26. 2016:
Thank you for the fast and very graceful insightful reply Thomas! Monster Boy has been on my radar ever since the announcement and remains my most anticipated game right now. Wonderboy was my childhood and this game looks set to be an amazing continuation of the original games. It's just looking so fantastic so far. I'm a little disheartened that the game is missing January but if the reasons are quality related and targeting another platform then that's understandable - this game needs to shift as many units as possible to hopefully ensure a sequel! Looking forward to your release date post. Thanks again.

FDG, Thomas on Sunday, November 27. 2016:
Thank you for your understanding, GM! Our main reason is not only the business side - we also use our time to polish the game as much as possible. Monster Boy is a very special project for us and we don't want to fail on fans of the Monster World series. In our playtests we identified various issues we need to fix to make the best and most enjoyable game possible here.

And responding to someone else:

Matthew Barrett on Saturday, November 26. 2016:
Hi Thomas you said the game won't release in Q1 due to quality [concerns]. Quality control what is that? And is the launch platform the Nintendo Switch? Well I'm certain [the game will release] between April and late May so can you [post] a release [date] blog the minute you know thanks.

FDG, Thomas on Sunday, November 27. 2016:
Quality Control is a stage every game enters when it's close to be finished. Various detailed playtests are done and if needed the game gets more polishing. We don't release games that are not fun for the full length of the game - that's a pretty high standard but absolutely necessary in our books ^^

Sounds like it's not just the Nintendo Switch holding the game up - they've tested the game and feel it also needs more development time. An acceptable compromise IMO. The game needs to be the best it can be.

Looking forward to the release date post. Would love to see a firm date for this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm still not fussed about the visuals or the general fan-game vibe but I like that the different forms all have multiple gimmicks and they're regularly introducing new things to do.

Delstius

Here's another blog post.

Announcing :
- 21:9 support
- simultaneous release on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One
- Main character human form redesign :
new_jin.png

Where is pc?

Delayed it seems. :(

FDG, Thomas on Thursday, January 19. 2017:
Thanks for checking in! We just posted a new blog update minutes ago, please have a look. We are considering a launch on GOG, too but PC version is coming with a delay, after console release. We just can't handle more than 3 platforms at launch.

Seems like a strange choice given a sizeable portion of their potential userbase will be playing this via Steam/PC. Guess because they're a super small studio console versions have to be prioritised. Hopefully the delay isn't too severe as personally I'll be playing this on my gaming laptop.

Seems like a strange choice given a sizeable portion of their potential userbase will be playing this via Steam/PC. Guess because they're a super small studio console versions have to be prioritised. Hopefully the delay isn't too severe as personally I'll be playing this on my gaming laptop.

Strange decision, but I'm not playing it for a while anyway.

MaLDo

The fuck?

Good bye boy

Kyolux

Hmm.. I don't remember if we had a platform choice for the free copy.

If not I guess I'll buy it for PS4 and give away my PC version.

...?

Why would anyone honor an offer for a free copy of a game for a kickstarter that was cancelled?
The situation was a little odd, if I remember. The Kickstarter was clearly not going to make it, then a published said "this looks awesome, we will fund it," so the Kickstarter was cancelled; backers were promised a copy of the game as goodwill for supporting the game early on.

Delstius

The situation was a little odd, if I remember. The Kickstarter was clearly not going to make it, then a published said "this looks awesome, we will fund it," so the Kickstarter was cancelled; backers were promised a copy of the game as goodwill for supporting the game early on.

Here's the blog post about that free copy. It probably doesn't concern a lot of people since there was 967 backers and I don't think many of them bothered to do what was asked in order to get the free copy.
I didn't bother to do it.

Kyolux

Same. Guess we'll see...

Yeah, it's been years. Who knows if they'll honor it at this point. But back a long time ago, I remember checking in on that and they seemed to be still up for those free copies. Given the post said PC copy, and that's coming last now. I wonder if they'll ask us for a possible different platform if we want. (If that's happening at all)

A little more insight from Thomas at FDG about the PC delay.

Releasing a game on PC is easy if you don't care about multiple configurations and proper testing. However - done right requires to consider many configurations so we prefer not to make a quickie release here and work on PC with the proper attention. We're too small to do all that at once with console releases too.

We appreciate your support no matter if you buy it on Steam sale or not. However we care too much about the product to just drop it on the market and forget about it. PC build needs the proper QA treatment and peripheral support. We have to prioritize as a small team. Cheers!

These are responses to questions about the PC version on the development blog. Sounds like their reasoning is understandable. They'd rather put the energy and effort in to a decent PC port than just rush something out on Steam. I'd say that's acceptable reasoning.

Looks like I'll have to get a console to play this day one however. Hopefully the PC release isn't delayed too far.

bj00rn_

Banned
A little more insight from Thomas at FDG about the PC delay.

Well.. It's good to know which games to not support in the future..

I have a lot of nostalgia for Wonder Boy in Monsterland. Great experience back in time when I played it in the arcades, put a lot of money into it..

Well.. It's good to know which games to not support in the future..

I have a lot of nostalgia for Wonder Boy in Monsterland. Great experience back in time when I played it in the arcades, put a lot of money into it..

Yeah I'm pretty bummed out about the PC delay too. I only have a gaming laptop at the moment and no next-gen console so my only option is PC. On the bright side at least they're pouring love and attention in to this thing taking the time and care to make this the best game possible. Sounds like a PC delay was necessary given they're such a small studio so whilst it's disappointing it's also understandable.

I just asked Thomas about news on a release date so I'll update this thread when I hear back from him.

For those curious Thomas stated recently that a blog post coming up will announce a definitive release date so we should be getting a firm date for this soon.

So excited for this and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap. Both games look fantastic IMO.

Platforms are still up in the air at the moment though Xbox One, PS4, Steam and Switch are all confirmed according to FDG's Twitter. They're seriously considering a Vita release after being bombarded with requests though nothing's confirmed just yet.

Personally I'll be playing on PC. Hope my quite ancient laptop can run it. Might get a new machine for this and the new Shantae.

Vita makes alot of sense even if the sales numbers arnt quite there

if i do get it il probbly get it on steam maybe even PS4 ...

Vita makes alot of sense even if the sales numbers arnt quite there

if i do get it il probbly get it on steam maybe even PS4 ...

They've had an overwhelming amount of requests on the development blog for Vita and have responded pretty positively to them. It's not confirmed but according to Thomas it's on their minds and definitely possible.

Still waiting to hear back from Thomas regarding the release date. I'll let you guys know when I do.

Top Bottom