• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy on PC at 240hz is something

nkarafo

Edit: Wrong forum, could a mod transfer pls?

Just 100%ed Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom today and it was one of the best gaming experiences i had in years on PC.

Game itself is great, with the correct amount of challenge and very well thought secrets. The soundtrack is also my favorite this year.

But the best thing about it is that it lets me use my 240hz monitor at it's fullest. The game is even less demanding than Bloodstained which i could only play at 120fps/hz. Which means i could play Monster Boy at 240fps/hz most of the time, though i had some CPU or game engine bottlenecks here and there, couldn't tell since CPU couldn't go beyond 55%. GPU was under 40% at all times.

The result was a super clean image without ghosting/blurring, almost as if i was playing on a CRT. At 120hz the result is very close to that but not quite there. But at 240hz the motion is perfect and crystal clear. Not to mention input lag being completely eliminated. After this i can't go back to 60fps/hz with side scrolling games. It's too blurry and stuttery in comparison. And i cannot even imagine playing a game like this at 30fps, that would be torturous for your eyes.

Now i'm gonna do the same with Ion Fury. If you have a PC you need to invest to a 240hz monitor, not even a 120/144. You may not be able to see the difference in frame rate but you will see the difference in motion clarity/blurring/ghosting, etc. Since the technology of modern displays is crap and can't reach the motion clarity of a 60hz CRT, brute forcing with as many hz as you can seems like a good workaround.

Last edited:

FDG Thomas

Neo Member
Happy to hear you enjoyed playing the game with 240fps! :) Congrats on having the necessary hardware parts for that premium experience!

Top Bottom