• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

I hope enough Wii U owners buy the game. Unfortunately, MH 3 Ultimate is unlikely to get the big marketing campaign MH Tri received since this is a glorified port of an expansion port based on MH Tri. In addition, Capcom is ultimately asking Japanese gamers to buy the same basic game again as it came out as Portable 3rd and Monster Hunter Tri G. Clearly, that's why Capcom is offering the Wii U bundle for MH 3 Ultimate HD to help entice early adopters.
Maybe that's why Capcpom held out from releasing 3G on 3DS a (near?) simultaneous launch would mean more condensed marketing activities. I guess Nintendo will help out too.

I don't think this will be million seller in Japan considering the sales of MHP3 HD but it'll help with the series in the west. Online is a necessity for that and putting online into 3G on the 3DS would've probably meant a lot of stranded resources, seeing that we'll be heading into some sort of unified online Nintendo network system in the future. The work put into the online mode of 3G WiiU can probably be put towards any future online in the series, whether on 3DS or WiiU.

Kyoufu

Capcom can go in Portable 3rd's direction here and tone down difficulty levels so that series newcomers can enjoy the game too.

Which is what I'm guessing they've done. I'm going to go ahead and say if you're expecting MHP2/Tri levels of difficulty in MH3GHD then you'll probably be disappointed.

ajim

Capcom can go in Portable 3rd's direction here and tone down difficulty levels so that series newcomers can enjoy the game too.

Which is what I'm guessing they've done. I'm going to go ahead and say if you're expecting MHP2/Tri levels of difficulty in MH3GHD then you'll probably be disappointed.

That's a shame. Because after playing MH Freedom Unite, Tri really isn't that difficult. I thought it was a step-down in difficult. Any less difficult will be disappointing.

Oh well :(

Kyoufu

That's a shame. Because after playing MH Freedom Unite, Tri really isn't that difficult. I thought it was a step-down in difficult. Any less difficult will be disappointing.

I thought the exact same thing. MHP2/MHFU were my hardest versions in the franchise which made Tri seem not so difficult and after playing Portable 3rd I asked myself "why is this so easy?" and realised that Capcom have tailored the game for the newcomers.

I haven't played MH3GHD or the 3DS version so I can't be too sure of what the difficulty will be like but I just wouldn't be surprised if it was on P3rd's level.

I should add that this isn't a bad thing. The game is still very enjoyable and there are still quests in Portable 3rd that will challenge veterans.

Xane

The decrease in difficulty you experienced was mostly because they "fixed" the huge attack hitboxes some monsters had before Tri.

Kyoufu

The decrease in difficulty you experienced was because they "fixed" the huge attack hitboxes some monsters had before Tri.

Not so much as the decreased damage done by monsters. In Portable 3rd they tickle when you upgrade your armor's defense.

ajim

The decrease in difficulty you experienced was mostly because they "fixed" the huge attack hitboxes some monsters had before Tri.

Lol yeah the hitboxes were a joke, especially with Plesioth. But I think for the most part the majority of the hitboxes were 'ok'.

I still think the difficulty in general took a small step down in Tri overall tho.

Khezu

Ugh the 6 month wait for this game is going to be killer.

Also hope capcom wises up and puts some effort into the port and rebalances the difficulty, balancing around 2 players makes some sense for a handheld game, but not for a console game where you can easily get 4 dudes with out trying.

Edit: As for Tri's difficulty, I thought it was a bit easier then MH1/2, but Jho and Voldermort were harder then anything in the past games. However I never played FU, so I never got to fight that black cat thing that everyone always whined about.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Also hope capcom wises up and puts some effort into the port and rebalances the difficulty, balancing around 2 players makes some sense for a handheld game, but not for a console game where you can easily get 4 dudes with out trying.

Edit: As for Tri's difficulty, I thought it was a bit easier then MH1/2, but Jho and Voldermort were harder then anything in the past games. However I never played FU, so I never got to fight that black cat thing that everyone always whined about.

Narga is hard, but not THAT hard.

Kyoufu

Jho is ridiculously easy.

He only appears to be difficult because the first time you encounter him is when Qurupeco summons him in the early G rank quest.

The Monster Hunter experience is on another level entirely, it's absolutely paramount. If they add 8 player lobbies and fully utilise the U-Pad, it'll be even better.

I'm gonna be honest here, lobbies should include more than 8 people. I mean, by all means keeping to 4 player parties in-quest is great, anything more than that would ruin it. However, having 8 people in a lobby makes games hard to find. City jumping is a pain in the ass, in Tri too which only allowed 4. Increase the limit to 16, allow for people to meet with their friends have have community meets, thats were it's at.

ajim

Nargacuga is hard, but not nearly as hard as a pissed off Tigrex, and I also don't think it's anymore challenging than Barioth.

Jho isn't ridiculously easy - he has a steeper learning curve than other monsters. And his attack power is ridiculous too.

Khezu

Jho is ridiculously easy.

He only appears to be difficult because the first time you encounter him is when Qurupeco summons him in the early G rank quest.

Ok I suppose "difficult" might not be the best way to put it, but with a bad party, the thing can take awhile to take down, so more of a test of my patience.

Nargacuga is hard, but not nearly as hard as a pissed off Tigrex, and I also don't think it's anymore challenging than Barioth.

Oh. I didn't find Tigrex that bad in MHP2 at least, but I can't remember how far I got in that game before my psp died.

Peru

If you're buying a Wii U for Monster Hunter you can afford the 3DS game cartridge as well. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I really love MH'ing portably, at least while soloing and figuring shit out.

That's an odd prediction. It's a straight port, it will be as difficult as MH3G, which is markedly more difficult than Portable 3rd.

Barioth is definitely one of the hardest monsters in Tri.

I remember joining some low rank hunters, and Barioth was not having it. After several attempts, he kept killing each one of them multiple times to the point I got pissed and left the city. :lol

Seriously, noobs can help you fight Alatreon, but when it comes to Barioth, they won't last for more than a few minutes.

RPGCrazied

3DS version has no online? Isn't this a game that is better when played with others? I'm sure it'll have local wireless play. No, thanks.

Sandfox

3DS version has no online? Isn't this a game that is better when played with others? I'm sure it'll have local wireless play. No, thanks.

Its because online play isn't import for the japanese version and Capcom isn't going to add an online feature just for the west.

Peru

If the choice is between 3DS Monster Hunter or no Monster Hunter you should definitely go for it. Some of us have spent more time in single player than multiplayer by a large margin and feel it's one of our favorie single-player games. It's a great thrill alone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Getting Tri again just as 4 will be nearing release is a pretty bitter pill. Hilarious that Capcom saw keeping Tri on 3DS hostage (no added online after all, so they were just sitting on it) until they could invent another money spinning HD port whizzed straight out of Korea. I guess thats a staple now. Rather than a console main iteration, consoles will get the HD G version at some point. Money in the bank, son.

RPGCrazied

If the choice is between 3DS Monster Hunter or no Monster Hunter you should definitely go for it. Some of us have spent more time in single player than multiplayer by a large margin and feel it's one of our favorie single-player games. It's a great thrill alone.

I really never played one, but doesn't these games have virtually no story? Would get very bored just killing and hunting big creatures alone. Plus I have a 3DS and have no plans on getting a Wii U for a long time.

never played a monster hunters game what is it that gets people so addicted? do you capture monsters or do you just hunt them...is it like a open sandbox game where you just happen to walk into something massive?

I remember Dragon dogma i felt a sense of wonder when i seen a dragon in a forest or a griffin just swooping into scene suddenly

Peru

I really never played one, but doesn't these games have virtually no story? Would get very bored just killing and hunting big creatures alone. Plus I have a 3DS and have no plans on getting a Wii U for a long time.

MH3(Ultimate) has a little more story than the others, or at least a narrative framing. You come to a coastal town plagued by mysterious earthquakes and dead fishermen and have to find the source of it - on the way taking on missions to kill lots of other monsters in various areas. It's not much, but gives you some motivation and the dialogue and characters are
charming.

ajim

Agreed. I played MH:FU entirely single player and it was amazing. I'd very rarely lock into some co-op play with my mate which was awesome too. MH games are great by yourself and with others.

Oh. I didn't find Tigrex that bad in MHP2 at least, but I can't remember how far I got in that game before my psp died.
It was mainly the High/G-Rank missions for Tigrex. He's insanely fast, spends 90% of his time in his beserk mode and is just a total pain in the ass.

Conor 419

Banned
I'm gonna be honest here, lobbies should include more than 8 people. I mean, by all means keeping to 4 player parties in-quest is great, anything more than that would ruin it. However, having 8 people in a lobby makes games hard to find. City jumping is a pain in the ass, in Tri too which only allowed 4. Increase the limit to 16, allow for people to meet with their friends have have community meets, thats were it's at.

This would be even better, is there any way we can campaign for this as a community?

Kyoufu

That's an odd prediction. It's a straight port, it will be as difficult as MH3G, which is markedly more difficult than Portable 3rd.

I hope so. Since this has actual G rank quests then I'm hoping it's tougher than MH3.

Unless G rank armor/weapons are once again overpowered. :/

Peru

never played a monster hunters game what is it that gets people so addicted? do you capture monsters or do you just hunt them...is it like a open sandbox game where you just happen to walk into something massive?

I remember Dragon dogma i felt a sense of wonder when i seen a dragon in a forest or a griffin just swooping into scene suddenly

You kill monsters or capture monsters depending on missions or preference. You also get other missions, like slaughtering minor creatures or finding stuff.

It's not sandbox-y in that way. You get 'worlds': Like a forest, jungle, desert, mountains. You walk through areas of these worlds seperated by 2 seconds of loading - the transition is not fluid. Like so:

MH3_SandyPlains.jpg

(One world with several areas)

Within these areas anything may happen, depending on mission. If you're just gathering resources monsters, small and big, may appear anywhere, swoop in as you say and ambush you. If you're on a hunt the same sorta goes, you may have one big or several big monsters moving around the world from area to area. You usually know where it's hanging out so you find it and then start hunting it across the map, and these fights may take a few or up to 50 minutes, as mentioned.

An ecosystem of sorts makes the worlds feel more alive - they're richly populated by dangerouns and non-dangerous creatures, insects, plants.

The appeal lies in the dynamic way these fights develop, the myriad of ways to kill a monster, the strategy as you learn how a monster behaves and you can dodge around it while delivering blows with various weapons. Also in the planning of a fight, the choice and creation of weapons and armour, and the enormous satisfaction in taking down a bloody big one after a close fight.

Khezu

Hmm I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new PSP, there fucking cheap enough now. Looking at the MH wiki, MHFU just looks amazing with the amount of stuff in it, even if I can't play it online, it still has way more then enough content to keep me occupied for awhile.

Just hate having such a small screen.

Hmm I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new PSP, there fucking cheap enough now. Looking at the MH wiki, MHFU just looks amazing with the amount of stuff in it, even if I can't play it online, it still has way more then enough content to keep me occupied for awhile.

Just hate having such a small screen.
MHFU was my second one after MH1. The content upgrade was fucking mindblowing. You don't happen to own a PS3 also? You could play online through adhoc party

Mupod

3DS version gimped to shit, figures.

Now I have to buy a WiiU close to launch as well, though.

FUCK

Forgot you played MH, too bad it has no Elins.

But yeah I know that feeling. Not looking forward to the expense, but I do like the idea of doing stuff like solo mining charms on my 3DS character then transfarting him back over to the Wii when I get home from work. Plus I just want more online MH.

Mzo

Played some Tri last night to celebrate the announcement.

Why do people drop traps and constantly ask "cap? cap? cap?" when the monster is nowhere close to fucking limping yet? I can't take it!

Khezu

MHFU was my second one after MH1. The content upgrade was fucking mindblowing. You don't happen to own a PS3 also? You could play online through adhoc party

No sadly.

I would consider buying one just for this, but I think Tri + offline FU can keep me going until march.

Well, preordered the Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. Wii U Premium Set from Japan, to go with my Japanese copy of MH3G bought at release.

I'm crazy, it cost a fortune but did it anyway.

Mupod

Played some Tri last night to celebrate the announcement.

Why do people drop traps and constantly ask "cap? cap? cap?" when the monster is nowhere close to fucking limping yet? I can't take it!

I've done some ninja stuff like get the monster to mid health, throw two tranqs at it, get him in the trap then wail on him until he passes the tranq threshold and falls asleep. Likewise you can often cap before they start visibly limping, it's possible that he had the skill which shows the exact threshold.

Of course you're probably right and he's just dumb. I haven't played Tri since 2010 but I have no idea how some of the randoms I played with tied their shoes in the morning much less made it to HR51+.

Mondriaan

It can take the entire 50 minutes sometimes. It's the most intense feeling when you down a monster in the dying seconds. What's great is that a lack of preparation can lead to awkward situations (especially in high rank hunts). Like where your health ticks down in the heat of a volcano or you run out of whetstones and your weapons become weak. Then you try to do a subquest and get out of there or find the resources you need in the level without using up too much time so you can get back to the hunt. It's awesome.

The loot is really important because you'll need it to make weapons that are strong enough for the next challenge. There is a story, but it doesn't get in the way.
I hope you're not talking about Tri. It's annoying to see people begging for cool drinks and then going suicide fighting when they don't get any cool drinks; they could have gone to trade powderstones with the elder instead of being a net liability.

upandaway

I hope you're not talking about Tri. It's annoying to see people begging for cool drinks and then going suicide fighting when they don't get any cool drinks; they could have gone to trade powderstones with the elder instead of being a net liability.
If I'm offline, cold drinks are a serious case of "whatever, man." It feels like I'm fighting the core of my being just to not forget them, which isn't fun. And I don't even notice when they run out, so I only end up using the first one. Plus the thrill adds to the quest.

If I'm online, I'm likely playing with my friend, and that guy will never let me forget cool drinks. But I always ask him for 1 or 2 anyway just to see his reaction.

Mondriaan

If I'm online, I'm likely playing with my friend, and that guy will never let me forget cool drinks. But I always ask him for 1 or 2 anyway just to see his reaction.
You're supposed to beg for well-done steaks or honey instead.

Asking has more impact if you rush over to base camp, sit tight, and hold all the supplies hostage, and tell them to use a farcaster to meet up with you. ;)

windfish

can't wait for the wii u version, will be there day one!
any euro fellas playing tri right now? just started playing again and would like to hunt with
the gaf crew, dont care if its low level stuff,... look for name: Faust

Given that MHP3rd Ver. only supports emulated AD-HOC play as well as all the crappy 2D icons, MH3G HD ver. should be really good.

eac7924b664edee8eeccc178d603e6a24effb743.jpg

Yes, I believe Ultimate on Wii U will be the best available version on Monster Hunter 3 with all the features they have added to it, but I hope people don't forget to buy Ultimate on 3DS as well since it has the advantage of playing anywhere you go.

I also have a feeling EX Troopers is going to be released on Wii U as well and use the crossplay features.

Xane

Yes, I believe Ultimate on Wii U will be the best available version on Monster Hunter 3 with all the features they have added to it, but I hope people don't forget to buy Ultimate on 3DS as well since it has the advantage of playing anywhere you go.

I also have a feeling EX Troopers is going to be released on Wii U as well and use the crossplay features.

Which is REALLY tempting! And I want to support Capcom for their decision, so I'll probably get both.

cootr

Neo Member
haha theyre so stupid for not enabling online functionality with this game. I be they would have sold a lot more 3ds consoles, I know I would have bought one. cant wait for phantasy star online 2, soul sacrifice, persona 4, little big planet. vita rulezzzz

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
haha theyre so stupid for not enabling online functionality with this game. I be they would have sold a lot more 3ds consoles, I know I would have bought one. cant wait for phantasy star online 2, soul sacrifice, persona 4, little big planet. vita rulezzzz

Is this a real post?

So does Capcom no longer suck?

I never played a MH game before..only the Tri demo which I was so desperate to try, I actually bought a copy from eBay.

I liked what I played. The whole concept seemed very appealing, but I could see that time limit becoming bothersome.

In the end I didn't buy Tri because I just didn't have the time to dedicate towards a game of that scale. Xenoblade remains about 30% completed despite owning it since UK launch for the same reason.

Maybe this time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So does Capcom no longer suck?

I never played a MH game before..only the Tri demo which I was so desperate to try, I actually bought a copy from eBay.

I liked what I played. The whole concept seemed very appealing, but I could see that time limit becoming bothersome.

In the end I didn't buy Tri because I just didn't have the time to dedicate towards a game of that scale. Xenoblade remains about 30% completed despite owning it since UK launch for the same reason.

Maybe this time.

Wasn't the time limit in the demo like, 20 minutes or something? Because you get 50 for most hunts in the actual game.

jimmypython

Beside the difficulty tho, MH3's city quest is way harder than MH3G's harbor quest....

upandaway

can't wait for the wii u version, will be there day one!
any euro fellas playing tri right now? just started playing again and would like to hunt with
the gaf crew, dont care if its low level stuff,... look for name: Faust
Joined you for a quickie, I was "Alon"

I still need to get on finishing all the quests sometime.. I still have 2 left, both Jho. I might go for it later this week.
If possible I'd like to get at least one or two achievements too.. hmm.

Top Bottom