• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I played Tri tonight and for the first time in a few weeks I had to do some heavy duty underwater combat.

Unlike my land skills, which I remembered almost instantly like riding a bike, I struggled the whole way through when in the water and failed the quest. T_T

I like the idea of water battling... just not the details.

Looking at some of the weapons in Tri G here and it looks like the endgame weaponry (G rank?) have natural purple sharpness. So I guess Sharpness+1 is worthless instead of necessary when you get that far into the game?

Also, :lol at the Dual Sword that looks like a fork + knife.

I played Tri tonight and for the first time in a few weeks I had to do some heavy duty underwater combat.

Unlike my land skills, which I remembered almost instantly like riding a bike, I struggled the whole way through when in the water and failed the quest. T_T

Water battles are vicious. I like them conceptually, but you need to be able to move a bit faster than you do.

Looking at some of the weapons in Tri G here and it looks like the endgame weaponry (G rank?) have natural purple sharpness. So I guess Sharpness+1 is worthless instead of necessary when you get that far into the game?
Sharpness +1 will still boost how much high quality sharpness you have on weapons, so it's not worthless.

Tenbatsu

Also, :lol at the Dual Sword that looks like a fork + knife.
Yes, there are a few weapons which even with Sharpness +1, the sharpness will remain the same (hence Rare 10).

As for 10 armor skill points to activate sharpness +1, there's not much difference as the points given are more stringent now, so it still takes some calculation to activate it. Lowering the points makes things easier to see too.

There is one 刀匠/真打 EdgeMaster (Sharpness +1 + Atk Up L) skill which is only available after HR 70 or via event quest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Water battles are vicious. I like them conceptually, but you need to be able to move a bit faster than you do.

There's like a full half second lag on dodging, that's the real killer (for me, anyways.) And that you never really can tell the direction you'll actually dodge in...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have some questions about the multiplayer. I've checked the OP but found nothing.

Let's say that I have the Wii U vesion of the game.

I can play online with other 3 friends, as in Tri for Wii. But, can I play also locally with friends? Tri had the Arena mode, but I'd like to know if it will be enabled also the coop for the "campaing", this time.

If yes: will they use the "second screen" local multy (as CoD for example), where P1 plays on the Gamepad and P2 on the TV? or will it be split-screen?

Will it be possible to use the 3DS as an additional pad to play the game in local multiplayer? If yes, have I to own als the 3DS version of the game?

If I have also a 3DS in the same room of my Wii U running an online hunt, can I play online with the 3DS?

I know that I can share the saves between 3DS copy and Wii U copy, but what does the cross-play means? Something I mentioned above?

Thank you

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
agreed - if you want to avoid learning something about the series and are content in wallowing in ignorance , i'd avoid everything i say!

Actually I wish to amend that rule:

Rule 1 of Everything: Don't listen to dcharlie. :p

I'm really looking forward to this game, I was dying for it when 3G released last year on 3DS in Japan, I love Tri, so to get a revitalized community and more to do and get to play it on my new Wii U? Hell yeah I'm totally down with that. I would pick up the 3DS version over the Wii U version but the lack of online (which is expected for us western fans now for handhelds) is a bit of a deal breaker even if I would love to see how the game looks in 3D.

Tenbatsu

IF, the game remains the same as the JP 3DS version, which is highly likely, then these will be the answers:
I have some questions about the multiplayer. I've checked the OP but found nothing.

Let's say that I have the Wii U vesion of the game.

I can play online with other 3 friends, as in Tri for Wii. But, can I play also locally with friends? Tri had the Arena mode, but I'd like to know if it will be enabled also the coop for the "campaing", this time.
Locally via Wii U-3DS / 3DS-3DS. Arena mode is present but split screen is unknown at this point of time

If yes: will they use the "second screen" local multy (as CoD for example), where P1 plays on the Gamepad and P2 on the TV? or will it be split-screen?
Unknown at point of time

Will it be possible to use the 3DS as an additional pad to play the game in local multiplayer? If yes, have I to own als the 3DS version of the game?
Yes you will have to own the 3DS version of the game to play locally

If I have also a 3DS in the same room of my Wii U running an online hunt, can I play online with the 3DS?
No, local wireless only as online mode is not present in the 3DS version

I know that I can share the saves between 3DS copy and Wii U copy, but what does the cross-play means? Something I mentioned above?
Cross-play means you are able to play at home and transfer your save to the 3DS to play the game outside.

Thank you

Dreavus

Didn't get through the whole thread, but any word on Lobby size? MH3 on Wii was clearly built for large online cities/lobbies, but was restricted for some reason (wii speak, I think it was?)

Really hoping this one ups the count.

Luigiv

Didn't get through the whole thread, but any word on Lobby size? MH3 on Wii was clearly built for large online cities/lobbies, but was restricted for some reason (wii speak, I think it was?)

Really hoping this one ups the count.

Yeah it was. The Japanese version (with no Wii Speak) had 10 person cities.

The 3DS version had 4 person cities so I suspect the Wii U version will be the same. Ideally I'd hope for 12-16 person cities but I wouldn't expect it.

Luigiv

Chuckpebble

So does Capcom no longer suck?

I never played a MH game before..only the Tri demo which I was so desperate to try, I actually bought a copy from eBay.

I liked what I played. The whole concept seemed very appealing, but I could see that time limit becoming bothersome.

In the end I didn't buy Tri because I just didn't have the time to dedicate towards a game of that scale. Xenoblade remains about 30% completed despite owning it since UK launch for the same reason.

Maybe this time.

Capcom has been my sweetheart through thick and thin because of Tri alone. I squeezed so much fun out of that game and still play from time to time.

Peru

Will 3ds version be fun with no online and no one local to play with?

As I said before, people enjoy Monster Hunter differently. I came from a background of generally preferring single player experiences and after playing two MH games mostly solo at 100+ hours I would say it's one of my favorite series of all time.

Coldsnap

As I said before, people enjoy Monster Hunter differently. I came from a background of generally preferring single player experiences and after playing two MH games mostly solo at 100+ hours I would say it's one of my favorite series of all time.

That's great! I would be new to the series and wasn't sure if some Dragons/Monsters were impossible to defeat solo.

Khezu

Related to tri sorta.

My Classic Controller Pro is acting annoying. The right analog stick seems to have some problems, sometimes it won't register straight down, diagonal down works great though.
After pulling on the stick and shaking it around it starts to work again, but it still feels kinda off.

Is it dying or maybe there is something stuck in it? I haven't the slightest clue how any of these things work.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's great! I would be new to the series and wasn't sure if some Dragons/Monsters were impossible to defeat solo.

The game is balanced depending on if you play solo or multiplayer; solo monsters have less health and do less damage to accommodate.

Still, if you're new, it may seem like some monsters are impossible to defeat... :p But it's a trial by fire, the best victory is one well earned with sweat and rage.

Kacho

The game is balanced depending on if you play solo or multiplayer; solo monsters have less health and do less damage to accommodate.

Still, if you're new, it may seem like some monsters are impossible to defeat... :p But it's a trial by fire, the best victory is one well earned with sweat and rage.

This guy knows whats up.

tranciful

Yeah I'm not a fan of water battles. Without a ground plane, it's harder to judge how close you are to the monster.

Kyoufu

If you read this thread you'd realize that's not true for some players.

And it's true for a lot of players. What's your point? We're giving opinions here.

I'm not going to go ahead and tell him "Yes it's amazing omg so much fun!" if there's a chance he'll end up being bored soloing.

Effect

I wonder if the Wii U and 3DS version will be bundled together when it comes out in the west. I hope so as I am interested in getting both since you can transfer saves between both versions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wonder if the Wii U and 3DS version will be bundled together when it comes out in the west. I hope so as I am interested in getting both since you can transfer saves between both versions.

Sven mentioned a "soft bundle" or something for Capcom's site. Presumably, both versions for $90 or so.

Mupod

And it's true for a lot of players. What's your point? We're giving opinions here.

I'm not going to go ahead and tell him "Yes it's amazing omg so much fun!" if there's a chance he'll end up being bored soloing.

I cleared MHF2/MHFU completely solo and never did I feel like I was 'missing the point' of the game. For me playing Tri with randoms ranged from painful to annoying, and often I'd have had an easier time solo. Now hunting with a good group of friends is amazingly fun, but it's absolutely a different experience. I think going one on one with a giant monster has its own appeal.

All opinions of course, but you might want to rethink implying that solo is somehow irrelevant when a lot of MH players (especially on PSP in NA) are huge fans of the series and have never touched the multiplayer.

Kyoufu

I cleared MHF2/MHFU completely solo and never did I feel like I was 'missing the point' of the game. For me playing Tri with randoms ranged from painful to annoying, and often I'd have had an easier time solo. Now hunting with a good group of friends is amazingly fun, but it's absolutely a different experience. I think going one on one with a giant monster has its own appeal.

All opinions of course, but you might want to rethink implying that solo is somehow irrelevant when a lot of MH players (especially on PSP in NA) are huge fans of the series and have never touched the multiplayer.

Again, your experience doesn't mean it's true for everybody else. I'm not telling him to avoid the game, just that he could be missing out on what made the game popular in the first place. He is free to try it as it can be fun.

It's really not hard to understand.

john tv

It's great that people can enjoy the game in single player only but nothing - just, nothing - compares to going on 4P hunts with people who know what they're doing.

Nothing.

(...Nothing.)

EDIT: That said, Ultimate is way better about providing a meaty single-player experience than Tri was. High-rank village quests make it possible to actually get some decent gear and fight some cool monsters offline. But then again, the only way to do G-rank is to go online (well, multiplayer) and that is where the real meat and challenge of the game come into play.

Ahh man I can't wait to play this online and in HD. :D

Osaka15

Banned
I really hope this comes out on the vita, psp, or Ps3! I love monster hunter, but not Wiiu at the moment unfortunately lol. If not, I might just get it on the 3ds.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's great that people can enjoy the game in single player only but nothing - just, nothing - compares to going on 4P hunts with people who know what they're doing.

Nothing.

(...Nothing.)

EDIT: That said, Ultimate is way better about providing a meaty single-player experience than Tri was. High-rank village quests make it possible to actually get some decent gear and fight some cool monsters offline. But then again, the only way to do G-rank is to go online (well, multiplayer) and that is where the real meat and challenge of the game come into play.

Man I am so hyped. I'm not particularly good or anything, but I think I've gotten to a level where I am not a complete liability when hunting with actually skilled players.

Gotta start somewhere!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Nothing.

(...Nothing.)

Multiplayer is so good. We bought a second Wii and another small television just for Tri.

3DS versions + Wii U version works really well for me, and we're definitely getting both (two copies of the 3DS one even). Farm, gather and do minor task on my 3DS while I commute to work, then come home and transfer over to the Wii U for online play. I can't wait.

Kyoufu

This should be a lot smoother than P3rdHD was. The freezing really annoyed me.

And the voice chat should be a lot better than Tri's I hope.

This could possibly be the biggest, juiciest MH experience on a console yet.

I really wish Nintendo would spill the beans on their online service. I would be totally fine with just the Capcom servers we got with Tri as long as I can just play it online; but it wouldn't hurt if the WiiU just offered a somewhat contemporary online infrastructure that 3U could use.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Sven mentioned a "soft bundle" or something for Capcom's site. Presumably, both versions for $90 or so.

$90 means I would skip out on the 3DS version. This should be a lesson learned from Sony, where you buy the WiiU version and get the 3DS version free digitally. Even $69.99 or $79.99 for both would be tempting, but no way will I spend $30 on something I'll barely even play on the go( and obviously will be playing on the WiiU while at home).

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I sunk my fair share of hours into Tri online on Wii and just couldn't imagine anyone enjoying it as a purely single player experience. Co-op is such a critical part of the overall package. It helps mitigate the clumsy combat mechanics and grindy leveling up IMO.

To each their own though.

Top Bottom