• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

Barroth is the first boss, i assume?

It's like the fourth, I think.

Great Jaggi, then Qurupeco, then Royal Ludroth, then Barroth. I think. I only got to starting on Ludroth.

And there's crafting armor sets of each of those monsters and also crafting weapons along the way, and other random non-hunt quests. It's a long ass time. I played 14 hours in Tri and never killed a Barroth.

Hoodbury

I'd consider myself a noobie.. But after intensively playing the demo, I've gotten pretty good at the combat aspect of the game.. Have beaten Plesioth with the Long Sword, Hunting Horn, Hammer, Dual Swords, and Sword and Shield.

What I consider myself a HUGE noobie is all the other stuff... crafting, questing, what I'm supposed to do? What items do I get?

ALL OF THAT STUFF IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO FIGURE OUT BY YOURSELF.
I started Tri on the Wii offline, and I sold it in 2 weeks because I had no idea what i was doing..
This time, I'm hoping the online community will help me figure this stuff out so I can truly delve into this game.

So you telling me to stay offline until I do certain things is worrying...

It's a tip, not a requirement. Since you already know the combat system from the demo you probably should go online earlier. The only thing is online etiquette is to gather resources and items on your own time, not while the rest of your team is off killing the monster.

When you start off, you're going to want to collect everything you can, never sell anything in Monster Hunter. Everything* you get is used for something. So that is usually easier to just do offline.

*there are a handful of items that don't do anything, but there isn't any harm in just keeping them until you learn what they are so you don't accidentally sell of an item that is usable.

deviljho

Those times are the times you want to land on when you hit "New Game" so you would set the internal clock BEFORE the time you want to land on so you can be in the window when you start your new game.

Thanks Fly. This applies to the Wii U also? Is there a link to a step-by-step guide. It's funny how they can't/won't (?) patch out the "cursed tables"

The first dozen or so quests you do offline include fairly exhaustive tutorials on gathering materials, combining items, crafting and upgrading weapons/armor, using utility items like barbecue spits, whetstones, paintballs, and traps, and pretty much every other crucial game mechanic. I don't agree with the notion that you have to do a certain amount of offline content before going online, but it does provide you with a very good basis for the rest of the game.

I'd prefer some group questing and going through the tutorial with others, If that's possible..

Wait, did I totally skip ahead one monster? And my friend and I killed Royal Ludroth a couple hours ago with Great Jaggi armor and some basic weapons? Shit man.

Hoodbury

I'd prefer some group questing and going through the tutorial with others, If that's possible..

Unless it's different in this game versus Tri, the tutorial and 'story' were only in the offline mode. You also only had access to your farm and boats offline in tri, but I thought that changed in this game, can anyone confirm that?

Does anyone know how the voice chat works in this game?

Is it push to talk? Please let it be push to talk. The auto volume detection thing sucks because somebody always lives in a wind tunnel.

Pro tip: worry about collecting later when you actually learn what stuff does and whether its important to your playstyle.

That said, ALWAYS take the opportunity to gather honey at beehives when playing alone. They let you make Mega potions when combined with regular potions. They heal for significantly more and give you 10 more healing items when confronting a monster at the start.

You will needs those throughout the entire game no matter what level of play you are at and starting a collection of honey now, and through your farm, means you won't be caught between missions online inadequately prepared.

Mupod

Barroth is the first boss, i assume?

The Monster Hunter community has affectionately dubbed certain monsters 'walls'. Basically a difficulty spike that's there to test what you've learned before letting you on to tougher monsters.

In Tri you start off fighting things like Great Jaggi and Qurupeco who you could probably beat with a very rudimentary understanding of the combat system, or maybe just luck and determined button mashing. Barroth is aggressive and requires you to observe his behavior for openings, which is basically the entire basis of MH.

I believe he's been toned down somewhat since P3rd but should still be a challenge for new players. My favorite 'wall' was Khezu in 2nd gen - super slow and predictable, but lots of HP and incredibly powerful attacks. He either taught you patience or you spent a lot of time on the kitty cart. Lord knows I did.

That seems way too long. I think a full set of Jaggi armor and a Qurupeco kill should be enough to work with.

Gear's not even that important in this game if you get down to it. You need some basic skills first and you'll learn them from Barroth. Sure, you could go online and hang out in lobbies spamming BAROTH URGENT PLZ but do you want to be that guy?

I'd consider myself a noobie.. But after intensively playing the demo, I've gotten pretty good at the combat aspect of the game.. Have beaten Plesioth with the Long Sword, Hunting Horn, Hammer, Dual Swords, and Sword and Shield.

What I consider myself a HUGE noobie is all the other stuff... crafting, questing, what I'm supposed to do? What items do I get?

ALL OF THAT STUFF IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO FIGURE OUT BY YOURSELF.
I started Tri on the Wii offline, and I sold it in 2 weeks because I had no idea what i was doing..
This time, I'm hoping the online community will help me figure this stuff out so I can truly delve into this game.

So you telling me to stay offline until I do certain things is worrying...

Well what he means is people who haven't played at all. Demo Plesioth isn't that hard but if you can beat him you have things figured out.

Armor skills and item combinations can be daunting for sure. That's not something you'll learn in an hour. You're on GAF though, just ask questions and we'll answer.

Tik-Tok

Finally got around to playing the demo... bashed and bashed on the rabbit monster. Am I supposed to do something after he runs away a bunch of times and is limping?

I thought there was a FAQ floating around here somewhere.

Orayn

The Monster Hunter community has affectionately dubbed certain monsters 'walls'. Basically a difficulty spike that's there to test what you've learned before letting you on to tougher monsters.

In Tri you start off fighting things like Great Jaggi and Qurupeco who you could probably beat with a very rudimentary understanding of the combat system, or maybe just luck and determined button mashing. Barroth is aggressive and requires you to observe his behavior for openings, which is basically the entire basis of MH.

I believe he's been toned down somewhat since P3rd but should still be a challenge for new players. My favorite 'wall' was Khezu in 2nd gen - super slow and predictable, but lots of HP and incredibly powerful attacks. He either taught you patience or you spent a lot of time on the kitty cart. Lord knows I did.

No wall will ever compare to me soloing Yian Kut-Ku in MH1 where monster HP totals weren't adjusted for offline play. I used sword and shield, had utterly inadequate supplies, and just barely managed to do it before the time limit... But I did it! That's when the series really clicked for me.

Finally got around to playing the demo... bashed and bashed on the rabbit monster. Am I supposed to do something after he runs away a bunch of times and is limping?

That means he's low on health and you're almost done! Just keep chasing him and don't let up.

chronosic

Just keep bashing away! In the full version you have the choice to trap and then tranquilize monsters when they start limping. You miss out on carves, but capturing yields more items in the rewards screen at the end of the quest.

Gear's not even that important in this game if you get down to it. You need some basic skills first and you'll learn them from Barroth. Sure, you could go online and hang out in lobbies spamming BAROTH URGENT PLZ but do you want to be that guy?

I meant that having the gear shows enough persistence to put together a good starting set, not running around in a mix of leather and chain gear etc.

Yeah, hit him some more. If he's limping he's not far from going down. In the game, some quests want you to capture monsters instead of killing them. This requires the use of traps and tranquilizer bombs. When a monster starts limping, that means they are weak enough to be trapped and tranqued.

Edit: Why do I even bother?

Tik-Tok

I think I'm gonna buy this game. I only played it for 20 minutes, but it seems like the kind of experience that should be fun once you get in to it.

Plus what the hell else am I gonna play on my Wii U

Mupod

There's a FAQ in the demo thread. We seem to have flocked to this one for now - need that OT ASAP!

When he's limping he's running off to sleep - all monsters have a certain specific area they retreat to. You can let him do that, then walk up to him and bash his stupid face in. The first attack on a sleeping monster does bonus damage, if you have some of those large barrel bombs left try that for an explosive finale.

In the real game you can trap them at that point and throw tranq bombs to capture the monster, which can yield better rewards.

I meant that having the gear shows enough persistence to put together a good starting set, not running around in a mix of leather and chain gear etc.

Oh you're right on the gear thing. Jaggi armor is perfect for new players and they should focus on that just to learn the ins and outs of armor crafting as well as how skills work.

TheWon

Banned
Yep, I dont think I went online til a after I beat the Barioth, but the game definitely clicked after I took down Barroth.
Agreed if this is your first time. At least get to Barroth first before going online. People can be understanding when it comes to rookies, but if you kart 2 out of the 3. You may end up in a empty room real quick.

FlyFaster

Hey guys, not sure if you checked out (or cared lol) my MH blog on Unity.

Anyway, I just put up Part 2 of, Why Monster Hunter is so AMAZING!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zentea/blog/2013/03/11/why-monster-hunter-is-amazing-part-2

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Thanks Fly. This applies to the Wii U also? Is there a link to a step-by-step guide. It's funny how they can't/won't (?) patch out the "cursed tables"

Yes it applies to both. So far as we know and have been told, the two versions are identical.

if you haven't already, I'd really encourage you to download Athena's Table search program it has a FAQ in it that lists how to find out which charm table you are on among other things. It's a really great program!

Jawmuncher

Just played the demo again on 3DS. Tried out the switch axe and I like it. Killed the easy boss in under 15 minutes. Much better than my by a hair with a minute left with the great sword.

Going to mess around with the switch axe some more. Since there seems to be some things I'm missing z

Ricky 7

10 more days! Ahhhh!

Also look at this Deviljho rip-off:
Abiorugu.gif

It's basically Deviljho reskinned, Frontier devs are lazy.

Lizardus

AAHHHHHHHHH, Fucking charms.

I was able to get a decent Evasion charm in Tri, which made it possible for me to have HG Earplugs, Sharpness+1, Evasion+1 and Transporter. The charm had Evasion (6 points) and Trasporter skill.

The OP for OT should put the explanation and the steps to get the best table in the OP. That would be REALLY helpful.

I have a new found respect for the Great Sword. I haven't actively used a GS since PS2 Monster Hunter, especially in later games when I discovered the Long Sword. Charging is really fun and satisfying when you land those hits. GS and Hammer really lets you feel that impact of each swing!

Santar

Is it just me or does the 3ds version actually seem to look worse than the psp games?
It just looks downsampled or something and holy crap at that bloom\filter they've got going over everything there. The Wii U version doesn't have that extreme bloomy effect, weird.

Robin64

So what's the deal us noobs need to know about getting Jaggi armor?

We just have to keep killing a monster called Jaggi over and over until he drops everything we need to craft his "set"? Is the set called "Jaggi Armor"?

So what's the deal us noobs need to know about getting Jaggi armor?

We just have to keep killing a monster called Jaggi over and over until he drops everything we need to craft his "set"? Is the set called "Jaggi Armor"?

Yes. Though you might need some non-Jaggi materials too like ore.

Jindujun

Neo Member
10 more days! Ahhhh!

Also look at this Deviljho rip-off:
Abiorugu.gif

It's basically Deviljho reskinned, Frontier devs are lazy.

From what i heard it isnt about being lazy.
It has to do with separating Frontier from the "regular" versions of the game.
They want to keep some monsters unique to frontier and some unique to the mainline series.

Which is why we see this deviljho reskin and why we see a lagiacrus based monster in frontier as well.

Nohar

I've got a question: are the boss fights like those found in the Souls' games?

Hmmm... That's a tough question. Indeed, there are some similarities between the two games (though MH maybe is a little more nervous). You have to carefully plan your attacks and wait for opening against some monsters, and block or evade when necessary. You won't watch your health like in the Souls series (because you can bring with you plenty of potions to heal... Though they ARE limited, and against some monsters you never fought before you will run out of potions if you're not careful), but you definitly will learn to fear some attacks. Also, your endurance meter doesn't go down when you are attacking (though, it will go down when you are dodging, blocking and charging some attacks). No magic either in MH.

ajim

Dammit I want this game so bad, I loved the underwater sequences from Tri.
You and me both, brother! Too bad you and I are in the minority.

I think the water elements could be better executed (and I hope they are back in future editions), but provided an excellent dynamic to the battles, especially with the monsters that were land/water based like Lagi.

Great stuff.

This game better be waiting for me in my mail slot when I return to the States on the 19th. Can't wait.

I need to get some of your NNID's so I can play with some you all. I put over 150 hours in Tri on Wii. Was my first MH, now I'm hooked on the series.

sammex

Could someone please give me some tips for beating Plesioth in the demo? I always seem to run out of time. I'm sure I've come close to getting him as I've broken the fin on his back and had him run to two different areas but I can't seem to get him within the 20mins. I've been mainly trying using longsword or lance - are those two ok or should I be using something else? This is my first time playing MH games - I can take down the easy monster with all the weapons but can't do Plesioth. Any advice would be appreciated!

Chunky

DaBoss

Is it just me or does the 3ds version actually seem to look worse than the psp games?
It just looks downsampled or something and holy crap at that bloomfilter they've got going over everything there. The Wii U version doesn't have that extreme bloomy effect, weird.

It's you. The 3DS one is marginally better.

Who's doing the OT and when is it going to be up?

Andrex, today or tomorrow.

Top Bottom