• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

It's not that bad. In Tri I was new. I played 3-4 hours offline just enough to get Qurupeco armor and a nice hammer. I then played online with some people considerably stronger than I was and was HR 20 by the end of the week.

The hunts generally go much faster online. I took my full Lagicrus armor and Rathalos hammer and beat offline easily just to level up my farm.

Wait, you were new to the game and had Qurupeco armor in 3-4 hours?

I was new and wasn't to that point after 14! Maybe I'd done a lot more item collecting or something...

Pineconn

Lol, you don't have to play offline first. If you're worried about "dragging down" other people, then you should get acclimated to aspects of the game that the demo doesn't emphasize (item management, the importance of sharpness, food skills, armor skills, etc.). I was just describing the point where the game might first click, which was Barroth for me (and other people). Green sharpness really helps, too.

Playing offline lets you go at your own pace, too. You don't have to feel rushed upgrading shit or figuring out which of the dozens of armor sets you might want.

But if you want to get into the gist of online play, go at it. Just don't ask me for honey. :)

Pineconn

Wait, you were new to the game and had Qurupeco armor in 3-4 hours?

I was new and wasn't to that point after 14! Maybe I'd done a lot more item collecting or something...

Hah, I got my Qurupeco armor by mostly doing free hunts in Moga Woods. Looking back at it, I can't believe I grinded that long for that armor. I was a dumb dumb.

But hell, it was a good armor set. It had health efficacy and evasion, right?

Doorman

To those less experienced, if you plan on playing online with other GAFers, then don't look at the level of experience as some sort of virtual wall. I missed the boat on being able to play with people here during Tri, but just from joining in the discussions and such leading up to this game, all of the "experienced" people here are pretty welcoming and would be happy to help explain systems to a relative newbie that may not be so familiar with all the ins and outs.

I mean yes, playing with people along your same level of skill allows you to share a similar experience, but there's also something to be said of being able to learn from those who came before, as one day perhaps you too will get to pass on your knowledge to the "younger" generation, which itself can be a rewarding experience. That said, would I recommend jumping online as your very first act if you've never played a Monster Hunter before? I suppose not, only because it will take a bit of time to familiarize yourself with controls and some of the gameplay systems (like learning attacks, using items, gathering materials) at a more leisurely pace, without feeling like you need to jump right in and feel like you immediately need to go help fight Zinogres right off the bat. Even when you're playing with nice people, there is a slight degree of self-imposed pressure to be an asset to the team.

ace3skoot

Hah, I got my Qurupeco armor by mostly doing free hunts in Moga Woods. Looking back at it, I can't believe I grinded that long for that armor. I was a dumb dumb.

But hell, it was a good armor set. It had health efficacy and evasion, right?

defence small
evasion + 1
rec speed +1

the best early armor that is piss easy to make. easy to jewl up to defence (M) and you can finish ofline mode pretty easy with it, although obviously better gear becomes available pretty soon.

defence small
evasion + 1
rec speed +1

the best early armor that is piss easy to make. easy to jewl up to defence (M) and you can finish ofline mode pretty easy with it, although obviously better gear becomes available pretty soon.

Actually, that makes me wonder.

Is there a recommended progression as to which armors to craft and which to skip before you get to higher tiers?

Like, don't bother buying chain, just go from leather to great jaggi, or whatever. Make royal ludroth, don't make barroth. etc.

Or does everyone make every armor every step of the way?

Which ones do you spend your precious armor spheres on to keep them in shape?

Hoodbury

To those less experienced, if you plan on playing online with other GAFers, then don't look at the level of experience as some sort of virtual wall. I missed the boat on being able to play with people here during Tri, but just from joining in the discussions and such leading up to this game, all of the "experienced" people here are pretty welcoming and would be happy to help explain systems to a relative newbie that may not be so familiar with all the ins and outs.

I already posted I'm all for helping out some newer players, feel free to add me now NNID: Hoodbury. Bel Air Jeff already friended me and I'm looking forward to playing with him. I'm all open for others if they want to join us as well.

I still think people should play a bit offline to gather some items though. If you've played the demo like crazy and can beat the monsters just fine, then I'm not worried about armor and weapons, I'm talking about items like honey, mushrooms, bugs, etc. Collect some of that on your own time and then we can go online together and I can try to help out with item management/item combining, what items to bring along with on hunts, etc.

ace3skoot

i wouldn't worry about armor sphears, there quite plentiful, and easy to mine.

I can only speak for myself, but in my latest playthought I didn't bother with armor at all until Quropecko, as previously stated its the best early armor, imo jaggi and ludroth gear aren't worth the effort. and then i usually go on to make 2 sets after lagi gear for under water battles ans rathlos gear for land based battles.

as long as you upgrade with armor sphears, these sets are great even well into higher rank missions, but at that point you kind of need to be thinking of what skills you want for whatever weapn class you like, certain sets have skills that compliment certain weapon classes.

Hoodbury

Is there a recommended progression as to which armors to craft and which to skip before you get to higher tiers?

Like, don't bother buying chain, just go from leather to great jaggi, or whatever. Make royal ludroth, don't make barroth. etc.

No, you don't make them all. Take a look at this: http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Blademaster+Rare+1

You'll want to pick one that has skills that compliment your weapon type and then aim to make that full set.

Early on it's best to just make full sets. Later on you'll be doing some mixing and matching to get specific skills you want, but that's a more advanced thing. It's best to do full sets for quite awhile.

So ya, it depends on what weapon you use, what your style of fighting is, etc. They look a bit different from Tri so I'll have to figure out what I want as well. Jaggi is usually a decent first set though for most. Peco doesn't seem as good as it did in Tri, which was what my first set was.

Pineconn

defence small
evasion + 1
rec speed +1

Ah, that's right. It was speed, not efficacy. [EDIT: Or was it? Idk.] And I did gem in Defense M, which was more than helpful in my noob days.

Whenever I unlock a new armor set, I look at the skills and determine if it's worth it. I used Qurupeco armor basically until Ceadeus. I think I had a mix of Agnaktor and Bnahabra for status SnS, too.

Oh yeah, that's another thing entirely. Not only do you have to pick appropriate armor sets, but you can also mix different armor sets and low rank/high rank (and G rank?) versions of the same monster's armor to get optimal skill sets. It's a tedious, although satisfying experience getting perfect skill sets. :D

How do you learn what skills compliment your weapon type, outside of the obvious? I mean, blocking skills don't apply to weapons without shields, and you don't need quick draw for already-quick weapons, and you want stamina-conserving skills for dual swords...but beyond that?

Hoodbury

How do you learn what skills compliment your weapon type, outside of the obvious? I mean, blocking skills don't apply to weapons without shields, and you don't need quick draw for already-quick weapons, and you want stamina-conserving skills for dual swords...but beyond that?

I guess asking people, reading their descriptions, etc.

It's not always just weapon based either, it can be personal style as well. You might also want different armor sets for different monsters or different locations. You seem to be on the right track though with your thought process. It's funny how a lot of people don't get it at all and you'll see them with blocking skills with weapons that can't block, and things like that. There are also negative skills and sometimes people don't get the system at all and instead of even having any positive skills they have like 2 negative skills.

If you haven't seen the list check it out: http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armor+Skills

I guess asking people, reading their descriptions, etc.

It's not always just weapon based either, it can be personal style as well. You might also want different armor sets for different monsters or different locations. You seem to be on the right track though with your thought process. It's funny how a lot of people don't get it at all and you'll see them with blocking skills with weapons that can't block, and things like that. There are also negative skills and sometimes people don't get the system at all and instead of even having any positive skills they have like 2 negative skills.

If you haven't seen the list check it out: http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Armor+Skills

I wouldn't necessarily judge people too harshly unless they demonstrate being idiots by their actions. The first Pawn Talisman you start with in Tri has Auto-Guard and I wore it just because I had nothing else, and didn't have to remember to put it on if I switched to a shield weapon.

Peco set is different this time, not as good in my opinion. Right now I'm thinking I'll be going Jaggi and then next would be Ranguro.

http://www.mh3-ultimate.com/page/Blademaster+Rare+2

Barroth looks pretty good.

Hoodbury

I wouldn't necessarily judge people too harshly unless they demonstrate being idiots by their actions. The first Pawn Talisman you start with in Tri has Auto-Guard and I wore it just because I had nothing else, and didn't have to remember to put it on if I switched to a shield weapon.

Yep I know, there are plenty of people who are good enough for 'naked' jho runs who wear mixed sets that they like aesthetically.

I'm talking about people who don't get it and wear mixed sets and then when you talk to them and they don't get the system at all.

I'm not one who goes into random rooms and critiques everyone's armor and weapons. I don't care if you used Rathian armor and Guan dao. As long as your not triple carting and we kill the monster I'm fine. But if I see someone with that mixed set with all negative skills I'll just ask them if they understand the system and let them know that they have a bunch of negative skills.

Mupod

Volvidon armor definitely looks like the best early game all purpose blademaster set now, plus he's pretty easy. Or grab a set of paralyze DS with Giggi's set and go online.

Personally I'll be maining hunting horns this time to get used to them so if I decide to play with GAF early on I might make Peco's for maximum support...but well, in Tri I actually just played naked until I made Barroth's set. I'm lazy.

Nohar

God, this table charms mess is annoying. Oh well, now that I know how it works, I will be able to at least avoid the bad ones (and help others to avoid them, I wrote a guide for frenchies). Thank you very much everyone for the infos!

deviljho

Yep your right mate. I think a noob Monster hunter clan is called for, experienced players can fuck off lol.

LOL.

Anyway

fo34JIP.jpg

If you think that's good you definitely don't need to worry about charm tables. :p

See this is what I mean. Why shouldn't I think that's good for early play? What's wrong with it? Gem up to higher attack or defense, or eliminate the hunger penalty. No skills wasted on stupid things like Gluttony. What's wrong with it?

And what's with the implication that if someone doesn't understand what's best now, they'll never understand what's best or what sort of charms they might want?

I asked what armor sets are best to aim for and people say "look at them and decide what's best based on the way you play," which isn't necessarily helpful since I'm sure there are sets that most people aim for and most people avoid. And then when you think a set might be somewhat promising, you get mocked. Well tell me what to look for then.

See this is what I mean. Why shouldn't I think that's good for early play? What's wrong with it? Gem up to higher attack or defense, or eliminate the hunger penalty. No skills wasted on stupid things like Gluttony. What's wrong with it?

And what's with the implication that if someone doesn't understand what's best now, they'll never understand what's best or what sort of charms they might want?

I asked what armor sets are best to aim for and people say "look at them and decide what's best based on the way you play," which isn't necessarily helpful since I'm sure there are sets that most people aim for and most people avoid. And then when you think a set might be somewhat promising, you get mocked. Well tell me what to look for then.

My advice to you is to just not sweat this stuff. By the time I hit Tri endgame my only armor criteria was whether or not it had a cool looking hat.

deviljho

It's cool, no need to stress. There will be plenty of opportunities to get into specific suggestions. Early on though, you really are limited in your choices. In general, you want to armor skills to compliment the type of weapon you have. Some skills are almost universal like Sharpness +1.

If your leave for a hunt with the Great Sword, you want skills like Critical Draw. Why? Because GS users spend a lot of time sheathing after attacks to reposition. Since you make an unsheathe attack so often, it's worth it to get that Critical bonus.

But if you use a long sword, that bonus isn't very useful. What is useful, however, is an armor skill that increases your status attack level. Status can in inflicted on every strike, so increasing status attack on weapons that are fast and make contact a lot makes sense. Conversely, they don't make sense for the Great Sword since you aren't getting lots of hits in over a period, generally.

Sometimes it makes sense early in the game to have Attack Up (S), but later get rid of any Attack Up in favor of something else - maybe HG Earplugs. Also, while it's sometimes useful to wear a full set, mixing and matching yields interesting results and can be fun. TBH, I wish there was more of an incentive to mix and match. Regardless, you'll be forced to mix and match a good amount until through a good portion of the game (even though the resulting skills are nothing to write home about).

Is that closer to what you are asking. The more specific your questoins, the better the answers you will receive. Let us know ;)

The drama.

But yeah, you are right about newcomers learning their way. Start with basic sets like that one and if you get hooked you will eventually move to more advanced sets. That's what happened to me. #oop *-*

And you are not familiar with the series, right? If that's the case, you can mix different sets, and that's how you create advanced sets with better skills.

The drama.

But yeah, you are right about newcomers learning their way. Start with basic sets like that one and if you get hooked you will eventually move to more advanced sets. That's what happened to me. #oop *-*

And you are not familiar with the series, right? If that's the case, you can mix different sets, and that's how you create advanced sets with better skills.

I played Tri for 14 hours and a couple more recently, and I've read a lot online. I didn't go hours without knowing how to make mega potions or anything. But I'm new enough to ask these questions.

What's wrong with Barroth?

Is that closer to what you are asking. The more specific your questoins, the better the answers you will receive. Let us know ;)

Yeah I guess. I figured maybe there would be a nice guide rating each set, saying "this one's good for a lance user, everyone else should probably stay away. Even the lance user should upgrade to X as soon as they can." Or "the combination of skills here is pretty baffling, making it difficult to use effectively. Look into Y armor instead."

deviljho

Did you read my post above? What weapon?

Yeah I guess. I figured maybe there would be a nice guide rating each set, saying "this one's good for a lance user, everyone else should probably stay away. Even the lance user should upgrade to X as soon as they can." Or "the combination of skills here is pretty baffling, making it difficult to use effectively. Look into Y armor instead."

It's a lot more efficient and best for all parties to have a set of principles rather than list every possible outcome. There are explanations or the skills and their benefits to each weapon. Teach a man to fish and all that. So yeah, ask questions in detail. :)

Did you read my post above? What weapon?

Yeah I read it, I didn't see much specific about it to Barroth armor in particular. You're saying it's not too good because it has Attack Up S instead of something better?

Above someone said Qurupeco used to be good, and it had Defense Up S. Barroth also has this, so I figured it might work along those same lines.

deviljho

Yeah I read it, I didn't see much specific about it. You're saying it's not too good because it has Attack Up S instead of something better?

Above someone said Qurupeco used to be good, and it had Defense Up S. Barroth also has this, so I figured it might work along those same lines.

First of all, there are some skills that are established as being preferred for any particular weapon. But all of that is dependent on getting closer to the end game and also farming.

As for your question of Barroth, you still don't seem to understand. It depends on your weapon of choice when you set out on the hunt. Guard +1 is not very useful for Greatsword or Hammer, but might be for Lance. The reason you aren't getting specific answers is because your questions are not specific. When you ask the specific question, you can get a better answer that includes guidance on your specific problem along (hopefully) an analysis of the principles guiding the decision. This way, you will quickly learn how to make your own decisions by applying the principles.

In the early game, you will have you use what you can get your hands on. If you put the Barroth armor skills in a vacuum, it isn't as useful as comparing them to other alternatives. What other choices do you have or would you have at that point? If you have no other choices, then it doesn't matter.

First of all, there are some skills that are established as being preferred for any particular weapon. But all of that is dependent on getting closer to the end game and also farming.

As for your question of Barroth, you still don't seem to understand. It depends on your weapon of choice when you set out on the hunt. Guard +1 is not very useful for Greatsword or Hammer, but might be for Lance. The reason you aren't getting specific answers is because your questions are not specific. When you ask the specific question, you can get a better answer that includes guidance on your specific problem along (hopefully) an analysis of the principles guiding the decision. This way, you will quickly learn how to make your own decisions by applying the principles.

But someone else seemed to say that old Qurupeco was generally good for everyone. Was it not?

And someone else implied that Barroth is universally not good, saying that someone who would consider it good shouldn't concern themselves with charm tables.

deviljho

But someone else seemed to say that old Qurupeco was generally good for everyone. Was it not?

And someone else implied that Barroth is universally not good, saying that someone who would consider it good shouldn't concern themselves with charm tables.

These are very early game armor sets. And it's a lot easier (for me anyway) to farm a Peco set than a Barroth set. As for the use of a Barroth set, it isn't appropriate for all weapons. But neither is the Qurupeco set. Again, this early in the game, you take what you can get.

I don't know what you want me to say with regards to the charm tables. If you want help understanding armor skills, I don't mind continuing to try to help as best I can. I can't be bothered on figuring out who should be paying attention to charm tables. Everyone should just play the game to their maximum enjoyment.

The reason why Qurupeco was considered good in Tri was because it was an early set that gave you Evasion+1. The Defense Up S and the Rec Level boosts were just bonuses secondary to the evasion boost.

If you were using a weapon that didn't benefit as much from the Evasion+1 (GS/Hammer), then Qurupeco was not really a good early game set for you in Tri.

I played Tri for 14 hours and a couple more recently, and I've read a lot online. I didn't go hours without knowing how to make mega potions or anything. But I'm new enough to ask these questions.

Ok, I was kinda confused, you seem to know some things (like removing the negative skill) but you were also asking for armor advices, lol!

And there's nothing wrong with Barroth's full set, it's just very basic, that's why I said you shouldn't worry about charm tables, which is a hardcore aspect of the game and definitely not useful if you are planning to use skills such as Def Up.

But as you replied to me, I now understand you have to worry about such things because even if you are a newcomer, after a few hundred hours you might want to copy other people's set mix your own sets and aim at specific skills, and that's when charms become useful.

Hoodbury

People didn't say that, I was the only one. I was trying to be helpful but I guess it wasn't. Sorry about that. What I was trying to get at is that there isn't always absolutes; which weapon your using, what your personal style is, etc, etc etc. There are many factors that can play into what would be a good armor set for you.

Early on there aren't going to be as many options obviously since you only have access to a few monsters to farm. So if you want specific advice, let us know the weapon type you are planning on using.

I'm willing to help out, but without more specifics I'd have to write a novel on everything to explain it out. :p

Garou

Whoever brought up the damn charm table is stupid because it turns off players left and right.
I have 40+ hours on 3GHD now, am still HR2 and have a blast even without caring about such specifics of the system.

Ok, I was kinda confused, you seem to know some things (like removing the negative skill) but you were also asking for armor advices, lol!

And there's nothing wrong with Barroth's full set, it's just very basic, that's why I said you shouldn't worry about charm tables, which is a hardcore aspect of the game and definitely not useful if you are planning to use skills such as Def Up.

But as you replied to me, I now understand you have to worry about such things because even if you are a newcomer, after a few hundred hours you might want to copy other people's set mix your own sets and aim at specific skills, and that's when charms become useful.

Well I didn't mean I thought it looked good in general as something to stick with long term. :p I'm just looking for good stepping stones to pick along the way to greatness. And as much as possible, sets that are useful across a broader spectrum of weapons, as someone who might want to experiment.

The last thing I want is to be turned off of a weapon type just because I had the wrong skills when I played around with it.

Top Bottom