• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

Yeah, the climb up the cliff to the snow area takes forever. The maps just don´t feel as organic and natural as in the third gen games. The environments also look very drab and low detail compared to MHP3rd (which still continues to amaze me with how good it looks on such relatively old hardware).

I still keep trying to get into MHFU from time to time - I bought it on Vita - but it just feels like such a downgrade from P3rd. Even the second analog doesn´t feel like such a big plus - I used to play MH3U on the 3DS with the CCP, but after I sold my 3DS and started playing P3rd recently, using the claw actually means being able to continue attacking while controlling both the movement and the camera all at once. Uncomfortable? For sure. But highly convenient!

One of the things I really love about Monster Hunter is the feeling of being part of nature, like I´m really going on a hunt, with wildlife, flora and lush scenery around me. MHFU has a much more "videogamey" look to it.

I can totally see that in regards to the "videogamey" areas. They all look super empty and Barron with very little variation from zone to zone and unnatural map layouts (talking about you Old Volcano/Volcano) making it seem like an artificial arena instead of a real place. Even when they do have stuff covering the ground it's just 2D copy pasted jungle plants that make it very hard to see

MHFU is certainly an acquired taste... and yeah MP3rd, while gamebreakingly easy, is just amazing in its graphics department for an old PSP game

Quadratic

Thanks a lot for the help tonight getting that mantle. Full Lagiacrus Z gunner set complete! A bonus is getting to HR 100 as well. Just joined the purple font club. Although I still consider myself a scrub at this game :)

tuffy

Glad I could be of some help. Too bad time zone wackiness means that much of the GAF crew can't always get together properly until weekends.

So they added another Shakalaka to help you out in this one? I remember just the one guy (Cha Cha I think his name was) from Tri but I just realized the demo had two of them with you.

I just did the quest to rescue him so I'm assuming the other one will show up later on.

Wolfe

Yeah which is cool because it allows you to mix and match the masks they wear but at the same time it can be even more annoying at times given that there's two of them running around now (not that having two annoying shakas outweighs the benefits of two shakas throwing you buffs/heals and hitting the monster with you).

PKrockin

Two shalashaskalakas means I have both the attack up large and negate stamina use dances, two extra chances for carves, etc. They're so much more useful and less annoying than felynes in FU. They just damage you with bombs and then get themselves killed instantly.

Thanks a lot for the help tonight getting that mantle. Full Lagiacrus Z gunner set complete! A bonus is getting to HR 100 as well. Just joined the purple font club. Although I still consider myself a scrub at this game :)
So that's what the font color means.

Pila

Just joined the purple font club. Although I still consider myself a scrub at this game :)
Yeah, I often feel the same. :)

I'm never going to get this fucking Skymerald, during the last few days I spent like ten hours farming Zin. Guess I'm giving up, too tired of that beast.

Yeah which is cool because it allows you to mix and match the masks they wear but at the same time it can be even more annoying at times given that there's two of them running around now (not that having two annoying shakas outweighs the benefits of two shakas throwing you buffs/heals and hitting the monster with you).

Yeah, I just have the one right now so I put the bunny mask on him so I don't have to bother with paintballs.

Two shalashaskalakas means I have both the attack up large and negate stamina use dances, two extra chances for carves, etc. They're so much more useful and less annoying than felynes in FU. They just damage you with bombs and then get themselves killed instantly.

So that's what the font color means.

That sounds pretty hilarious. Reading some random threads on GameFAQs apparently there's a felyne mask that mimics that behaviour (using bombs to mess you up in melee). Someone there recommended that you use Gunner weapons or SnS to avoid that (if you decide to use those masks).

tuffy

The False Felyne and Mock Melynx masks both cause Shakalakas to hurl bombs. But yeah, using them with a blademaster-type weapon is a recipe for frustration.

PKrockin

Yeah, I just have the one right now so I put the bunny mask on him so I don't have to bother with paintballs.
I like the pitfall mask because gathering spider webs takes too long and mock melynx for the extra materials. I have the psychic song on my best horn at the moment so I don't usually need paintballs either. It's nice to be free of that stuff.

That sounds pretty hilarious. Reading some random threads on GameFAQs apparently there's a felyne mask that mimics that behaviour (using bombs to mess you up in melee). Someone there recommended that you use Gunner weapons or SnS to avoid that (if you decide to use those masks).
The False Felyne mask actually seems somewhat useful since their bombs often stagger monsters in my experience. And they since they don't damage you it can be funny to get hit. Well, until it sends you clear off the waterfall in flooded forest...

One time on flooded forest I was using a bow with sleep coatings and setting up bombs on a monster and I knew it was about to wake up any second so I just kicked the bomb and sent myself off the waterfall into the drink, much to everyone's amusement.

I tend to fall off cliffs a lot...

Sora_N

I bought the 3ds game on eshop months ago and didn't really play it until lately. I had no idea what to do and still don't.

I managed to get to the port city and I've bee trying to kill Qurupeco with no luck.

I tried gunlance and katana but I actually can't even decide on a weapon I like. I actually like the insect blade from MH4 lol.

I decided I'm gonna try great sword but still having trouble surviving. I'm really bad at timing based games. :/

Wolfe

I bought the 3ds game on eshop months ago and didn't really play it until lately. I had no idea what to do and still don't.

I managed to get to the port city and I've bee trying to kill Qurupeco with no luck.

I tried gunlance and katana but I actually can't even decide on a weapon I like. I actually like the insect blade from MH4 lol.

I decided I'm gonna try great sword but still having trouble surviving. I'm really bad at timing based games. :/

Stick to the village, the port is for MP (but still allows you to do it solo if you like) so everything there is tuned for more than 1 person. The beginning village stuff may seem tedious at times but it does a good job with getting you familiar with the game and it's systems.

jercruz

My restarted character is now HR55, I haven't gone online yet. Planning to go online once I clear Port 7* quests (I'm just clearing the advanced now), and forge some armour combo.

I will probably need help doing Super Ivory Lagi and Super Ala, don't feel like doing them solo again :D

PKrockin

Yeah, stick with village quests until you're comfortable with the game.

Some tips:

- Don't get hit. What I mean is this isn't a game you win with a relentless assault or by trading blows. Getting hit sucks. You get sent flying, you lose the health you could have naturally recovered (red portion), you often get status effects, you sometimes get dazed, you have to sheathe and wait for an opportunity to heal. Avoiding damage comes first. Don't attack on the hope you will stagger the monster. Most of your hits should come from avoiding the monster's attack and punishing them in time to be ready for its next attack. The rest should be free hits from when it's exhausted, calling out, sleeping, attacking Cha-Cha, or other cases when it certainly won't hit you. With some practice you'll be able to react immediately, or outright predict them. This is the fun of the game, to me; going from getting tossed around like a rag doll to weaving through all the attacks and literally breaking their faces. But at first, this will be difficult, especially when you're not too familiar with the capabilities of your weapon. I imagine this is why they have you go through so many quests before taking on large monsters. So go through the Moga Village quests and experiment with your weapon. A beginner's guide to the weapon on Youtube should go over the moves, give you some tips, and show you what its fighting style is like.

Wait, this wasn't a tip, this was an overview of the core gameplay. lol

The only thing the 3DS version is missing is the online. That really bites that I have no way of getting online without a Wii U.

I am glad that 4 Ultimate is going to rectify this issue.

I like the pitfall mask because gathering spider webs takes too long and mock melynx for the extra materials. I have the psychic song on my best horn at the moment so I don't usually need paintballs either. It's nice to be free of that stuff.

I read about that mask and it sounds really useful. I'm still on the 3 star quests though so I'm probably a long ways off before I get it.

Wolfe

The only thing the 3DS version is missing is the online. That really bites that I have no way of getting online without a Wii U.

I am glad that 4 Ultimate is going to rectify this issue.

I read about that mask and it sounds really useful. I'm still on the 3 star quests though so I'm probably a long ways off before I get it.

It's useful but at the same time there's really no excuse for not farming spider web once you've opened up the misty peaks map as you can do harvest quests there and grab at least 3-5 spider webs from the cat village each time. It's obviously not nearly as easy as thunder bugs grown on the farm but still.

Prototype

Somehow farming spiderweb in Tri was either easier or I'm just sick of it lol. I still use pits but I just trade the argosy captain for them. Don't have the patience any more and I'm a good enough hunter that having one less trap isn't going to make or break a hunt.

Wolfe

Thats where you get them -_-

Prior to opening up the misty peaks the only place I found them was a couple spawn points in or near the cat cave on the deserted island. Besides I was typing that up for the guy that sounds like he's fairly new to the game (he mentioned reading about the masks so I assumed), no need to get snarky.

Pila

Stupid desire sensor: out pf 20 runs

0 moonshards
Fucking sensor, I'm never going to see a Zin Skymerald during my life. Farming moonshards was easy compared to this shit. In my chest I have 146 Zinogre Cortex, 15 Jaspers, 4 S. Zin Skymeralds...

It's useful but at the same time there's really no excuse for not farming spider web once you've opened up the misty peaks map as you can do harvest quests there and grab at least 3-5 spider webs from the cat village each time. It's obviously not nearly as easy as thunder bugs grown on the farm but still.

I don't really need traps right now as the ones that the capture quests provide so far are sufficient. I figure it's something that's more useful later in the game where you want to trap monsters to pile on some damage. I'll probably make some of my own at some point.

Also, is there a way to prevent fliers like Qurupeco from running away so much? Would the Bounce Bomb take care of something like that? I mean once he flies up out of weapon range, as his shadow stays in the same spot for a while before he actually moves to a different area.

Anura

I don't really need traps right now as the ones that the capture quests provide so far are sufficient. I figure it's something that's more useful later in the game where you want to trap monsters to pile on some damage. I'll probably make some of my own at some point.

Also, is there a way to prevent fliers like Qurupeco from running away so much? Would the Bounce Bomb take care of something like that? I mean once he flies up out of weapon range, as his shadow stays in the same spot for a while before he actually moves to a different area.

Para shots if you are support gunning but honestly there really isn't a reliable way to do it. Better to just paint ball them and chase

Para shots if you are support gunning but honestly there really isn't a reliable way to do it. Better to just paint ball them and chase

What about something like the paralyzed meat? I've noticed that monsters seem to go after it if they're weak enough. I haven't tried it with Qurupeco yet so I don't know if it will opt to go after the meat instead of running.

Anura

What about something like the paralyzed meat? I've noticed that monsters seem to go after it if they're weak enough. I haven't tried it with Qurupeco yet so I don't know if it will opt to go after the meat instead of running.
Won't stop them from running and it will only work on a select few monsters

Won't stop them from running and it will only work on a select few monsters

Damn, guess I'll just have to put up with it then.

Also a while ago I found some Monster Hunter garage kit models. I thought some people might want to take a look.

Bone Armor

u82hOgg.jpg

Nargacuga X Armor

Zinogre Armor

Bnahabra Armor

PKrockin

Evidently the breast size of the game's female model was insufficient to interest the type of people who buy figurines.

Also I forgot to ask, how exactly does the Loch Pless Monster just fly over my head to make me fall asleep? Is it actually a Butterfree using Invisible Sleep Powder?

tuffy

Wait... You can't post screenshots into Miiverse on the 3DS? WHY? :(
The Wii U version doesn't allow screenshots either. Nobody knows why.
About to tackle Ceadeus in the village. Any tips?
For "Save Moga Village!" you need to break his beard in the first phase of the fight before the end of the tunnel so focus on that. You'll know when it's broken because he'll recoil like crazy and there'll be little bits of beard flying around.

For the second phase, make sure to break the larger horn before time runs out to guarantee a repel. The easiest way to do this is trade with the Argosy Captain for 10 "UW Ballista Ammo" shots. Then hop on the ballista and unload them on Ceadeus' big horn when he comes in close. Once that's done, you can spend the rest of the fight hitting him with your weapon and avoiding his occasional attacks. If you do enough damage, you may drive him off even before time expires.

tuffy

How do I feed my chacha?
Go to your item list from the menu and select something. You should have the options to "Swap", "Discard" or "Give" food items. Give food to Cha-Cha and he'll gobble it down. Don't remember if this is available in the Village/Port, but it definitely works while on quests or in Moga Woods.

Sora_N

Yeah, stick with village quests until you're comfortable with the game.

Some tips:

- Don't get hit. What I mean is this isn't a game you win with a relentless assault or by trading blows. Getting hit sucks. You get sent flying, you lose the health you could have naturally recovered (red portion), you often get status effects, you sometimes get dazed, you have to sheathe and wait for an opportunity to heal. Avoiding damage comes first. Don't attack on the hope you will stagger the monster. Most of your hits should come from avoiding the monster's attack and punishing them in time to be ready for its next attack. The rest should be free hits from when it's exhausted, calling out, sleeping, attacking Cha-Cha, or other cases when it certainly won't hit you. With some practice you'll be able to react immediately, or outright predict them. This is the fun of the game, to me; going from getting tossed around like a rag doll to weaving through all the attacks and literally breaking their faces. But at first, this will be difficult, especially when you're not too familiar with the capabilities of your weapon. I imagine this is why they have you go through so many quests before taking on large monsters. So go through the Moga Village quests and experiment with your weapon. A beginner's guide to the weapon on Youtube should go over the moves, give you some tips, and show you what its fighting style is like.

Wait, this wasn't a tip, this was an overview of the core gameplay. lol

Thank you, that's very helpful actually. When I noticed how the Qurupeco was destroying me, it was pretty clear what you said is true.

I really need to just learn how to move. I just wish the stupid 3DS version had online without WiiU. I'll probably just buy MH4 when it's out if my friend is gonna play too.

Evidently the breast size of the game's female model was insufficient to interest the type of people who buy figurines.

More like only a few of the Hunter figures on that site have interesting poses/bases/quality. The rest don't look that great aside from these Rathalos/Zinogre armor figures I just found;

Go to your item list from the menu and select something. You should have the options to "Swap", "Discard" or "Give" food items. Give food to Cha-Cha and he'll gobble it down. Don't remember if this is available in the Village/Port, but it definitely works while on quests or in Moga Woods.

I didn't know you could do that. I'm assuming they get buffs depending on what you give them?

Also is there any point to the Bow's Arc Shot? As in should I only be using it with certain bows because so far it seems more effective to just use charged shots.

tuffy

Wait, you can feed Cha-Cha and Kayamba? :O
I didn't know you could do that. I'm assuming they get buffs depending on what you give them?
You can. It gives them experience which increases their mask level. They get the most from the first meat, about half as much from the second and no more after that per run. It takes a couple dozen well-done steaks to reach level 5.
Do I need to turn the tv on to switch to off-tv play each time?
You do need to switch to off-TV play each time, but don't need the TV on to do it. The main menu shows up on the pad on startup and you can change the setting right from there.

You can. It gives them experience which increases their mask level. They get the most from the first meat, about half as much from the second and no more after that per run. It takes a couple dozen well-done steaks to reach level 5.

That's good to know. I'm not really using my steaks since I usually max out stamina from cooking/and rations if needed so I'll put them to use.

Prototype

Those are pretty good figures. The bone and zin ones in particular. Would really love a male abyss lagi figure.
Add it to my collection lol which consists of only 2 figures, a 15 inch tall iron man and a 31 inch Darth Vader. Man cave won't be complete with some monhun in there.

Sora_N

Finally getting the hang of the game, thanks for those who suggested I continue with the village quest.

It felt so good beating the crap out of the Great Jaggi after he killed me the first time.

Top Bottom