• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo Impressions & Multiplayer Thread

Mandelbo

What should be my game plan with the charge blade? I feel like there's an optimal attack sequence but I don't know what it is.

For the charge blade I usually end up chaining combos with the sword until I can fill all my phials - the charge attack on A is very good for extending this combo. Once that's done there are two main things you can do.

First, you could pull off the super elemental burst (final move in the axe's A combo) on the monster's head. I managed to continuously knock the Tetsucabra down by doing this. You can also go straight to the super burst by pressing A+X while stationary in axe mode or by pressing A+X after a shield bash.

However, what you can also do is press R as you're winding up for the super elemental burst to transfer all your phial energy into your shield, which improves blocking and increases your axe's attack strength by 20%. While this mode is active, the super burst becomes the ULTRA burst, which uses up both your stored energy and any phials you have left. This seems like it's pretty much guaranteed to knock a monster out if you hit them on their head, but it'll still do huge damage if you hit anywhere else.

This video probably explains it much better: http://youtu.be/J1LE1D5YSZM

MrPanic

What should be my game plan with the charge blade? I feel like there's an optimal attack sequence but I don't know what it is.
Not sure what the best thing is since I'm still struggling to get good with it, but I think this is what you're supposed to do.

Charge up five phials (use the charged up a attack to charge fast, I prefer the combo X,X,holdA,repeat)
Use the phials to charge up the shield (X,X+A,X+A,backR)
Then just go ham on the monster (charging up phials in SnS mode, unleasing A combo's in axe mode)
When you got a really big opening, release ultra (X,X+A,X+A)

I'm still trying to figure the charge blade out though, so I'm not sure if this is the best way to use. Releasing that ultra is really satisfying though.

Doorman

I'm hardly a Monster Hunter pro, but from what I do know of the charge blade and some experimentation using it myself, first priority for me is almost always getting the shield boost. Do a few sword attacks to bring the charge up to red, load the five phials, then when in axe mode, if you use the X+A to lead into the element discharge (the third hit of the Axe's phial-using combo), hit R when he primes the attack to cancel it back into blade mode and store the five phials into the shield. You get the little red logo next to the phials. It increases the shield's guarding ability but, more importantly, grants an attack boost to the axe mode as well.

From there you can either loop the two modes like normal, reload the phials then go back to axe mode using a lot of the two-hit element attack alongside the attack boost. Or, if you go through the end of the A-button axe combo, instead of the normal big hit, you do an even bigger attack that drains both the shield boost and all remaining phials, but it hits like a bus. I like to hang on to that for a while, though, using the boost's attack buff to just deal damage for a while until the boost gets closer to running out of time, then loading all phials up and unleashing the ultimate attack when there's a good opportunity.

Charge Blade is a lot of fun to use for me since the axe attacks always feel like they hit really hard, but in practice I'm not sure I'm as effective with it against anything beyond the Great Jaggi. Plus I'm kind of tempted to stick with switch axes instead since I know so many other people will be jumping ship to the Charger anyway.
Hunter Hipster?

edit: Beaten twice over! Serves me right for trying to write tips while simultaneously cooking french toast.

wwm0nkey

Man I'm going to main IG so hard. Figured out how the insect charging works and holy shit you go hard when your in that mode

tauroxd

It's probably been asked to death, sorry, but how does this play in a regular 3DS without the frankenstick?

Oregano

It's probably been asked to death, sorry, but how does this play in a regular 3DS without the frankenstick?

It's all I've been using. The touch screen d-pad + target lock means it's really quite easy to keep track of the monsters. It does make using the ranged weapons more difficult though IMO.

Kane1345

Its so fun, its all about getting that red buff.

Indeed. I love getting the red, white and orange at the same time and having the damage, super armor, and faster movement speed. Plus jumping on the back of monsters without having to use a ledge is awesome. I'll be maining GS and GL still but IG will come in straight after that along side the hammer :D

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. Watched the video and I'm even more confused. This looks like some Devil May Cry shit.

Maining Charge Blade for sure lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I still can't peel myself away from the Longsword; the weapon just feels so right with mobility... And the R slash finale always feels good...

Anura

So, anyone with the full game here? I'd really like some help with the G3 boss thing. He is a massive pain in the butt! I'd figure I might have a better chance asking here than in community.

deim0s

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. Watched the video and I'm even more confused. This looks like some Devil May Cry shit.

Maining Charge Blade for sure lol

LOL, it's quite easy. get some practise on Tetsu - he's slow and his attacks are a bit telegraphed.

Hold A is pretty much your main attack (quick to make the phials glow, mix it up of course) then charge your phials and/or your shield. Transform with R+X, then A, A ,A or R+X, X+A for smaller openings or even go with X, X+A, X+A.

Then watch this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZjCXJfDe0

Condom

LOL, it's quite easy. get some practise on Tetsu - he's slow and his attacks are a bit telegraphed.

Hold A is pretty much your main attack (quick to make the phials glow, mix it up of course) then charge your phials and/or your shield. Transform with R+X, then A, A ,A or R+X, X+A for smaller openings or even go with X, X+A, X+A.

Then watch this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZjCXJfDe0

Eh yeah just give me my hammer and I´ll be fine. Throw in an HBG for end game stuff and I´ll be set.

The new weapons always are a bit too confusing for me.

Leiru

Got Gore Magala limping, never fainted once, but ran out of time. >_<

It's when I ran out of Piercing 1 when I was confused on what bullet to use next, so just used Normal 2.

EDIT: No, wait! I found the Flame Bullets in the chest. Will use those next time.

don't forget there are two sets of flame bullets if you die get the other one. also they give you clust shot, this are some type of granede ammo.and don't forget use your status shots.

tauroxd

It's all I've been using. The touch screen d-pad + target lock means it's really quite easy to keep track of the monsters. It does make using the ranged weapons more difficult though IMO.

Thanks, I don't really use ranged weapons so I will be okay!

Kinsei

Banned
What other new stuff is there, I saw that the greatsword has one extra swing after the second charge attack. Anything else?

Dual Blades have a new unsheathing/X+A attack when their meter is full. Those are the only weapons I've done more than a single quest with so those are the only ones I know.

Kane1345

What other new stuff is there, I saw that the greatsword has one extra swing after the second charge attack. Anything else?

It does?! How do you do this? I'm not near my 3DS right now. Is it just a case of tapping X again after the second charged attack?

So will everyone be exchanging friend codes before the game comes out? I accidentally wiped my whole friend list so feel free to add me if your getting MH4U next month. Quote me and I'll add you.

Friend Code - 4442 - 0307-2444

Kinsei

Banned
So will everyone be exchanging friend codes before the game comes out? I accidentally wiped my whole friend list so feel free to add me if your getting MH4U next month. Quote me and I'll add you.

Friend Code - 4442 - 0307-2444

There's no need. There's an in-game friends list you can add people to.

Just got done soloing Gore with every weapon to get used to the game again. Really enjoying it.

I still gotta practice a bit more with the new changes to the Charge Blade, but it's remaining one of my favorite weapons still.

Xerotwo

So I've finally found a group that managed to take down gore, though I almost got carted several times.

It was so exhilarating to fight that mofo.

I dunno if there's a detailed feature list but one thing I forgot about and just saw when playing the demo along to a tutorial video: they added a new page to the item pouch for gathered items, freeing up some more space for hunt spoils and helpful stuff!

GET THE FUCK OUT

THAT'S AMAZING

jorgejjvr

Wow so after practicing with the charge blade a bit I was able to solo Gore Mahalo with 15 minutes and 7 seconds left over. Holy cram it's just so powerful! It's rather quick and efficient too when you learn how to use it. I'm definitely going to try to main this considering my previous main weapon (dual blades) always had be killing Gore with less than ten minutes left. I love the versatility of the charge blade!

I apologize for the typos due to autocorrection.

Illucio

Banned
Finished fighting all the bosses a while ago, I'm not a fan of the Insect Glaive so it looks like I'm sticking with a Longsword and Duel Swords again. But I might branch out and try a bowgun...

I have a feeling I'm going to be very annoyed with climbing in this game, and I still haven't figured out all the new mechanics yet.

Back to practicing with other weapons to see if something else suits my fancy, but I'm pretty sure I'm sold on being a Longsword user again.

Kinsei

Banned
I managed to take out Gore in under 10 minutes without using any traps or bombs! I think I'm ready for the full game.

Verelios

I'm loving the insect glaive. Managed to solo Magala in twelve minutes, still not that good with it. Seems like IG, GS, and DB are going to be my mainstay this time around. Sorry bowguns.

Question, I broke both of Tetsucabras tusks, and his tail. No drop?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm loving the insect glaive. Managed to solo Magala in twelve minutes, still not that good with it. Seems like IG, GS, and DB are going to be my mainstay this time around. Sorry bowguns.

Question, I broke both of Tetsucabras tusks, and his tail. No drop?

His tail? I've been wailing on it for almost the full fight every time I fight him due to the fact that it seems to be the weak point for cut damage, but I've never seen it break. Are you sure you just didn't see it while he was in rage mode, and then after he was out of it you assumed it was broken? I believe you get his shiny drop by breaking a boulder when it's in his mouth.

holy shit

uf5j1oM.gif

Top Bottom