• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo Impressions & Multiplayer Thread

Beats

Did they make the lance back hop go further in this game? I feel so nimble with it that I never feel like I need to put away my weapon. lol

Doorman

Two questions:

1. How can I start leveraging axe mode in Switch Axe? I sit in sword mode 99 percent of the time and do okay, but I feel like I could really push harder if I knew how to not immediately become useless whenever my gauge runs out (I think 90 percent of my stupid Gore Magala carts are from running out of sword gauge and panicking.)

2. What's the best way to hit Gore Magala's horns when it enters Frenzy Mode? Traps? I lack the psychic monster-fu to line up two shots when he's doing that shit.

Coming over after tooling around with switch axes in 3U, I actually feel more comfortable in axe mode than using the sword, hah. The axe's faster walk speed makes it a bit easier to get into good position, I think.
What's nice with it is that you can lead in with basically any move of its main combo, so there are plenty of options to pick from based on judging how much time you have to attack before needing to dodge out. The running jab (forward and X, either from normal or after the side-chop) is good for closing space for starting a short combo, if you think you can only get one or two hits in before you need to dodge or the monster just leaves. X+A from neutral gets you the uppercut slice, it's fairly quick and has great vertical range (this move is a godsend for me for cutting Rathian tails), and is also important because it leads into the Hack 'n Slash attack. Any time you have a good-sized window of opportunity but don't have the time or gauge to transition into sword-mode, the Hack 'n Slash provides great damage. The sword may be more powerful and the attacks themselves can come out and combo quickly, but the axe has both a range and speed advantage, so opportunities to actually land clean hits consistently comes a lot easier.

aka_bueno

Any more 3ds vs new 3ds shots?

Please keep them coming.

this. Up until a few hours ago, a lot (most?) of us didn't know about these N3DS upgrades, and in fact a lot of the initial impressions while praising the gameplay improvements, were disappointed in the visuals based off the textures/shadows...which are improved on New 3DS systems. So keep 'em coming, it's pretty cool!

Nachos

Two questions:

1. How can I start leveraging axe mode in Switch Axe? I sit in sword mode 99 percent of the time and do okay, but I feel like I could really push harder if I knew how to not immediately become useless whenever my gauge runs out (I think 90 percent of my stupid Gore Magala carts are from running out of sword gauge and panicking.)
I haven't messed with the switch axe that much in the demo since I've been experimenting with weapons I hadn't tried before, but I used it a lot in 3U.

Basically you want to use the axe mode for when enemies are flying and/or have a lot of mobility. The axe chops still come pretty quickly despite not being being as fast as the sword's, and you have much higher movement speed, too. Best of all, though, axe mode has the best reach of all the weapons, excluding the charge blade's axe mode, but it's much better at landing very high and precise vertical attacks. Whenever something tried to fly in 3U, I always started with X+A for the uppercut, then continued a normal combo from there. The axe slashes are also fantastic at cutting tails when the monster is just really tall.

The stamina-based attack you could do by mashing A after doing an uppercut was useless in 3U, but I don't know how it fares now, especially since there's that new attack you can do by pressing R in the middle of it. I'd need to try it out before calling it good.

Other than that, I never went into sword mode by pressing R. I always either unsheathed into it with X+A+R, or I did the thrust attack with forward X, then used forward R afterwards for the transformation slash. The transformation slash transforms you more quickly than the standing transform does, and lets you sneak in some extra damage. Then, when I knew I was close to running out of axe fuel, I'd use forward R for another transformation slash back into the axe. It's also quicker than the regular transform, and once you run out of fuel, you're immediately forced to transform back, leaving you vulnerable. I'd always use the slash when I knew I was near my limit, then roll away so I could safely reload.

Even though the two modes aren't as dependent upon one another as the charge blade's modes are, and can be used exclusively, you should try getting a sense for when each is appropriate in a given situation. The weapon is less a Transformer and more a Swiss Army Knife – the modes have some synergy, but they're really just slapped together, not made to swap constantly, so one might be completely unnecessary at times.

sgjackson

Coming over after tooling around with switch axes in 3U, I actually feel more comfortable in axe mode than using the sword, hah. The axe's faster walk speed makes it a bit easier to get into good position, I think.
What's nice with it is that you can lead in with basically any move of its main combo, so there are plenty of options to pick from based on judging how much time you have to attack before needing to dodge out. The running jab (forward and X, either from normal or after the side-chop) is good for closing space for starting a short combo, if you think you can only get one or two hits in before you need to dodge or the monster just leaves. X+A from neutral gets you the uppercut slice, it's fairly quick and has great vertical range (this move is a godsend for me for cutting Rathian tails), and is also important because it leads into the Hack 'n Slash attack. Any time you have a good-sized window of opportunity but don't have the time or gauge to transition into sword-mode, the Hack 'n Slash provides great damage. The sword may be more powerful and the attacks themselves can come out and combo quickly, but the axe has both a range and speed advantage, so opportunities to actually land clean hits consistently comes a lot easier.

Thanks man! I'll try messing around with some of this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I spent 100+ hours in MH4 on the regular 3DS and 60+ in 4G on n3DS XL and never felt that graphics got a aignificant boost between the consoles. My guess is that people complaining about how it looks now won't suddenly change their mind when trying it on the n3DS...

aka_bueno

I spent 100+ hours in MH4 on the regular 3DS and 60+ in 4G on n3DS XL and never felt that graphics got a aignificant boost between the consoles. My guess is that people complaining about how it looks now won't suddenly change their mind when trying it on the n3DS...

Maybe it's just me then, but I was content on holding off on the N3DS since I already have a CPP, but after seeing those comparison screens it was enough to pre-order a N3DS (tomorrow I'll go lol).

The textures are super muddy and shadows super pixelated, I'll take any graphical upgrades I can get for this title with the N3DS since I'll be playing it so much and those two things are by far the weakest part of the game's graphics in the demo I'm playing on my regular XL.

But beyond textures and shadows, which can see proof from the screen shot comparisons...did you notice framerate and loading improvements?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I didn't notice any texture and shadow improvements (didn't check side by side), but loading times are shorter, framerate is better and saving takes a second.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I'm so glad I found out I could switch the bow controls back to the MH3U ones. The new changes they made feel so weird. It's probably just me not being used to them, but I can move and target a lot easier with the old ones.

Plus that having to melee anytime I bring out my weapon on the move is the worst. Bow melee is useless unless you are going for a tail cut, so being forced to manage that animation while fighting giant monsters isn't on the top of my priority list.

I'm really impressed with the changes they made to the intro animations for monsters. Plus the environments are really cool, and all of the elevation aspects in battle really add to the game (especially as a ranged weapon user). And online multiplayer is already the best new feature.

divusrex

Wow, those comparison shots now make this a very difficult choice for me. I wasn't really planning on getting the n3DS XL, but it seems to look a lot better on it than the old XL...

NewGame

Banned
I'm so glad I found out I could switch the bow controls back to the MH3U ones. The new changes they made feel so weird. It's probably just me not being used to them, but I can move and target a lot easier with the old ones.

Use the default. When you coat hit X and you'll get an over the shoulderish TPS kinda view. From there just hold R and push A until you win the game.

Two questions:

This is coming from an avid Switch Axe user from the older games

I cant say too sure for the new game itself, but back in the older MH series, you would usually want to use axe mode to take out monsters which can fly or either reach for tails that cannot be reached by sword mode. Its X+A followed by mashing A to do a infinite combo swing was also a better way to make monsters fall compared to Sword mode. You might usually want to utilize the phial burst(X+A in sword mode) when monsters tumble for maximum damage and you would usually want to save it at the very last bar instead of spending it all off. Learn how to conserve the your gauge meters and not to overspam it, it could get you into a terrible situation.

Additionally switching back from sword mode into axe mode(A then followed by R) can help to improve your mobility and may save your life at times. So the main thing about Switch Axe is to know when to switch in and out and utilize both mobility and power.

I just recently learn that you can use the R when doing the infinite swing in MH4U to do a small finisher, can't say too much for that, haven't really tried that move yet.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Kirin is back? Holy shit!

Yes.... but Kirin brought along a playmate...

d68ce180.png

upandaway

I just finished the Jaggi quest with all the melee weapons, hunting all the little changes in the moves was really fun. The DS combos are INSANE now (spin attack! and the Gunlance easily got the best deal in everything, the mid dash and mid air shots are so cool. I got the best time with the hammer though.

Gonna try out the ranged weapons next, then the two new weapons finally. I know nothing about those two, so that'll be fun.

Doczu

The reason I bring it up is because I remember for a fact that (at least on the Wii U version) MH3U had dynamic shadows when monsters flew up in the air. Could owners of MH3U on 3DS confirm or deny if they were on the 3DS version? Because if dynamic shadows were present on 3U for 3DS I can't find a reason for them to be absent in this installment. Granted it's a subtle difference but it was a nice touch.

The monster shadows change on the 3DS to a cirlce when they fly, but only when they change locations. Not when they go sligthly up vor aerial attacks.

So with 4U around the corner, I picked up 3U again to get in the MoHun mind set. I really want to mess around with LBG some more. I think when I left off I was using Giggi Z with the Gobul LBG or something.

Can someone tell me what the best armor/lbg combinations are so I can know what to farm? What are the must-have skills for any Light Bowgunner?

So with 4U around the corner, I picked up 3U again to get in the MoHun mind set. I really want to mess around with LBG some more. I think when I left off I was using Giggi Z with the Gobul LBG or something.

Can someone tell me what the best armor/lbg combinations are so I can know what to farm? What are the must-have skills for any Light Bowgunner?

From my 500 and something hours and rank 198 on 3u, i'd say load up , evade or evade extend and deviation --

Unless you wanna go the status route

Kane1345

So apparently I was wrong about new 3ds features in the game it does slightly improve textures, frame rate and load times

rGah91pl.jpg

This combined with gaijin saying the framerate was nearly always silky smooth at around 60fps has justified my n3DS MH4U bundle. Come on 13th!

sgjackson

everything got way easier when i bothered to look up how aerial combat worked

mh is really "everything got way easier when i bothered to look up x" the game though

Pila

Thanks for posting those pics! I think I'm happy with the old XL and CPP, thanks again dude we all love comparison shots. :)

So what were your overall impressions on Gore Malaga? Frankly I found him to be either predictable or easy to evade. He also didn't do much damage. His Frenzy Virus ailment didn't really hurt me, oftentimes I simply got the boost from it. However, I'll admit that once he enters Frenzy Mode, it gets quite challenging. Most of his attacks remove half of my health and he is significantly faster, but all I needed was to play a little defensively and it was over in a little while (if I focused on a body part). What did you guys think?

I expected him to be a little bit more difficult, was expecting to see the cart at least one time during my first solo attempt but I killed it without fainting. I'm not worried about having fun/hard challenges the final game, we'll get G rank and I love doing G rank on my own, fun times ahead. :)

NewGame

Banned
ID: 48-5546-0550-3208
pass: 7777

GORE HUNT! Ranged weapons only please! LETS DO THIS!

Will leave the room open for 10 minutes or until 4 players whatever comes first.

Vuze

Can detectiveGAF or JapanGAF get any confirmation on this stuff?

You would think this would have been well known by the time New 3DS hit Japan
Bit hard when there is no capture card kit for the New 3DS yet :\

Also that texture improvement got me. I heard about better performance, faster loading but more hi-res textures? Wasn't mentioned once in all the posts and opinions I read. Verrrry neat.

Can anyone confirm if the higher res textures are available in MH4 (non-G) on N3DS? I did a quick file size comparison of the Gypceros textures from 4 and 4G ROM but they are the same. So either they are stored somewhere else in the filesystem or I dunno, maybe the changed texture material file got to do sth with it and enables loading of the better texture versions on N3DS (about 400 bytes larger).

I really like Tetsucabra and Gore Magala as opposed to for example Nibelsnarf and Wroggi.
I can't believe they didn't understand the frog reference for Froggi.

I'm quite liking Dalamadur as well, it's closer to the original naming of Dara Amadyura than Dire Miralis was to Gran Miraos.

pronk420

I didn't find Gore Magala solo in MH4 to be that hard, I basically ignored his status effect because it was in japanese so I didn't understand what was going on, and it usually worked out fine.

when it gets way more interesting is when (mild spoilers for fights that happen)
you get gore + another monster,

Neonsands

Neo Member
Use the default. When you coat hit X and you'll get an over the shoulderish TPS kinda view. From there just hold R and push A until you win the game.

I think if I had a CPP, I'd probably be able to manage the controls, but the camera change just doesn't really fit my style. I'm so used to the hit and run approach.

NewGame

Banned
I just noticed that in the demo you have 5 pouches for items.

3 regular
1 'field'
1 gunner

You even have gunner when you use blademaster weapons!

tuffy

This has literally been my mantra for the entire series, tbh. THAT SAID, THOUGH... Heavy Bowgun now seems powerful enough to be barely viable for single player!
I went through pretty much all the Village quests in 3U using nothing but Heavy Bowguns without much difficulty and I'm planning to use that as my starter weapon in 4U. I'm sure it'll pack quite a punch like it has before.

The Light Bowguns are easier to recommend for new users because of their better mobility and a rapid-fire mechanism that makes ammo less of a concern.

jorgejjvr

Basically the infested monsters is just Capcom's way of presenting a harder version of the exisiting monsters. They used the term infected to tie in with the game story.

Later on in the game you will be able to inject wyvern virus canceling skills to your weapons to draw out the virus from the monster for a limited time by dealing enough damage. You will be also able to upgrade your maxed out weapons further by either upgrading it's attack, it's defence or it's health healing abilities and this is a resettable step.

IMO Rajan, Rusty Kushala, Tigrex sub, Brachy, Jinouga are extremely hard. They move and attack like they are on steroids on G level which is pretty crazy. Also lvl 140 is the highest level a guild quest can go and is considered the highest difficulty in the game. Overall, I think you should know by now that this is a much faster paced MH as compared to the past series.

Thank you!

jorgejjvr

I'm sure there has to be some people in which MH4U will be their first Monster Hunter (or the first one they focus on and plan on playing for a long time) in this thread, right? If there are, I wonder if they have any questions regarding the series and how things work. I would love to help out those who are new!

Chuckpebble

I'm loving some of the new moves and minor changes.

I was trying to reload my gunlance while doing a guard advance and did this neat charging shell attack. Seems like a great distance closer from a blocking stance, where before I'd be compelled to turn my back to the monster and back hop at them.

I really love the attack you can do with long sword right after an evade.

The screen shake when you're hitting critical distance with bow (is that for bowguns too) seems a little intense, but I'm sure I could get used to it. It was always tough deciphering the same info from hit sparks.

Top Bottom