• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4U or Generations?

Capcom is having a publisher sale and both are the cheapest I've seen them on 3DS.

I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U & 3DS) but admittedly didn't finish it. I understand it would be hard to go back to given that the community has moved on.

Is either 4U or Generations better suited for a newcomer?

Unicorn

4U is still the best imo. Generations is like a greatest hits in terms of content and introduces a lot of new playstyles.

I still say 4U is probably the best entry point. Water combat in 3U was atrocious and mounting and insect glaive in 4U is some of the most empowering elements in the series yet. Fuck, Charge Blade is too. Learning them parries.... oh man!

Playing that instead will also leave the GenX Switch version potentially a fresh new experience (provided it gets localized), so win/win if you go 4U now.

Foffy

Banned
4U, as it's more "traditional" to the series.

Wait on Generations, as we're likely to see its updated release get released in English as well, also for Switch.

Sophia

You could really start with either one.

Monster Hunter 4U is easier in the sense that it eases you in a bit better, where as Monster Hunter Generations is more of a "Best of Monster Hunter" type game. That said, Monster Hunter Generations has easier hunts, and probably has a better community.

The updated version of Generations is coming out on the Switch, where as MH4U is probably staying on the 3DS. So there's that too.

Is 3U even worth playing these days? All I've heard about it is that it has frustrating elements (by contrast, 4U is apparently definitely worth playing and Generations should probably be waited on for the Switch version)

Mephala

I find 4U to be a vastly superior game. Better balanced and feels right as a long time MH fan.

Generations is... A spinoff so I can't fault it too much. I felt it enhanced the player's abilities too much while the monsters didn't get nearly as strong a powerup leaving the game much easier and ultimately less satisfying because once it clicks you rarely get those satisfying close encounters or the feeling of downing juggernaut monsters.
If you tend to prefer being more powerful though and like the flashier combat it may be the better choice.

Unicorn

Is 3U even worth playing these days? All I've heard about it is that it has frustrating elements.

Nah. 4U trumps it in gameplay and bosses fans missed were put into Generations. 3U was a port of a port. Was Portable 3rd on PSP, then Tri on Wii, then 3U on 3DS and WiiU

Foffy

Banned
Nah. 4U trumps it in gameplay and bosses fans missed were put into Generations. 3U was a port of a port. Was Portable 3rd on PSP, then Tri on Wii, then 3U on 3DS and WiiU

I thought Portable 3rd was considered a standalone game, like how Generations is a standalone game from 4/4U.

Mephala

Is 3U even worth playing these days? All I've heard about it is that it has frustrating elements (by contrast, 4U is apparently definitely worth playing and Generations should probably be waited on for the Switch version)

If you can't played 4U or Generations then sure. It is still a good game and better than older games.

Sophia

I mean, it's still decent single player, even if water combat isn't the best. But the online community on Wii U is mostly dead (roughly 100-400 players at any given moment) and the 3DS version doesn't have online play without assistance from a Wii U so.

That being said, it's the best looking Monster Hunter game by virtue of the only one on an HD console.

I thought Portable 3rd was considered a standalone game, like how Generations is a standalone game from 4/4U.

Portable 3rd is considered part of the 3rd generation of games, so it borrows monsters from MH3. But it's standalone in the sense that it's not an updated verison, so yeah.

Unicorn

? I'm not sure I understand. It was the 3rd entry. It was adapted to Wii as Tri and they removed the underwater combat, then put it back in for 3U.

I'm not sure about the nitty-gritty details of content comparison as I played it years ago.

ChrisD

It is. Tri/3 is totally different from P3rd. No underwater combat, different monsters, also P3rd came out after Tri. :p

I mean, it's still decent single player, even if water combat isn't the best. But the online community on Wii U is mostly dead (roughly 100-400 players at any given moment) and the 3DS version doesn't have online play without assistance from a Wii U so.

That being said, it's the best looking Monster Hunter game by virtue of the only one on an HD console.

P3rd HD on PS3 cries in a corner

Sounds like 4U is the way to go. That makes my decision easy, and it's also $8 cheaper!

Yeah, I enjoy Generations a lot, but 4U is the better choice imo. I played and enjoyed it for a lot longer.

Sophia

? I'm not sure I understand. It was the 3rd entry. It was adapted to Wii as Tri and they removed the underwater combat, then put it back in for 3U.

I'm not sure about the nitty-gritty details of content comparison as I played it years ago.

I think you may be confused. Monster Hunter Tri came out first: August 1, 2009. Portable 3rd was a year later.

P3rd HD on PS3 cries in a corner

Oh right. That is a thing.... WELL I CAN'T HELP IT THAT CAPCOM WERE POOPY HEADS THAT DIDN'T RELEASE IT IN ENGLISH ><

Well, I don't have a Wii U, so online play's out of the question. 4U would be better in that regard.

ChrisD

I think you may be confused. Monster Hunter Tri came out first: August 1, 2009. Portable 3rd was a year later.

Oh right. That is a thing.... WELL I CAN'T HELP IT THAT CAPCOM WERE POOPY HEADS THAT DIDN'T RELEASE IT IN ENGLISH ><

I honestly only remember that it exists because of my import.. Even then, I sometimes forget lol.

Sophia

Well, I don't have a Wii U, so online play's out of the question. 4U would be better in that regard.

Ah. I dunno if I'd get MH3U for 3DS, to be honest. It's good as a companion game if you're already playing 3U on the Wii U, but if you just have a 3DS, 4U or Gen is the way to go.

Insaniac

MHGen if you plan on getting the next iteration or the switch version, because you will be able to transfer your save data to the next version, which will be a lot nicer than regrinding all your gear.

Foffy

Banned

Their naming conventions is what made this weird. The portable games are usually ports of the mainline games which is why you thought this, but with Portable 3rd, it was based on 3 as a generation, but not a port of it. It's just called Portable 3rd because it's the third PSP game.

Per Wikipedia..

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is not an update to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Monster Hunter Tri. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is instead separate to the rest of the series

Unicorn

wtf my brain is breaking. I swear it was the other way around, but looking on all the wiki pages it's true.

Dremorak

Banned
I've played a few monster hunter games, but 4U was the first to make me a fan.

That charge blade. Holy shit. when you come to understand how to switch modes and chain attacks while still moving, adn then when you get point guards down....I dont think I've had that much fun with a single weapon in a game in a very long time. Super pumped for generations switch version :D

ChrisD

MHGen if you plan on getting the next iteration or the switch version, because you will be able to transfer your save data to the next version, which will be a lot nicer than regrinding all your gear.

This is actually a really good point.

If you don't think you'll get XX, then I'd definitely say 4U. If you will be and despise early game (like my brother), things get a bit more muddy in terms of clear cut suggestion!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
4U graphically looks better, has a better flagship monster, has expeditions, and has frenzy monsters. The online is also easier to navigate.

Kinsei

Banned

3U is the best game in the series. It's definitely worth playing.

Personally, as a low-level player who's played both a bit, I'd recommend 4U for a newcomer. Generations has a bunch of quality-of-life improvements like being able to continuously mine resource points by holding the button and super moves, but it has a tendency of assuming that you've played previous entries. For one, after a short set of tutorial quests, Generations pretty much dumps a bunch of areas and systems (Multiple villages, village quests, village points, multiple Felyne companion management, trading caravans, Meownster Hunters, Prowler missions, etc.) on you all at once.

4U is much better at providing a reasonable curve of meting out new systems and areas to you, as it introduces new systems bit by bit while giving you enough room to experiment with the systems that you've already unlocked. 4U's the one I keep coming back to, even after buying Generations digitally. Plus, you can always get Gen later on if/when the upgraded version comes over, and experience it fresh with the new stuff.

Generations is hands down the better pick. Loved 4U when it came out, but the styles are a real game changer, mechanically speaking, and they just make the game play so much better. Plus, with the inevitable announcement of XX/Gen2/GenX for Switch and 3DS in the west, the fact that save data transfer is an option is huge.

I'd go for Gen, OP. It's the better game.

The styles introduced in generation are amazing.

As a long time fan of this series, I can't imagine going back to certain weapons without the skills and abilities they introduced

fahr

I haven't played generations yet, just 4U. Generations appears to have done away with the new uneven terrain combat introduced in 4u. Is this true? Because I always considered that a major generational improvement and its sad to think they've gone back to flat arenas for combat.

Kinsei

Banned
I haven't played generations yet, just 4U. Generations appears to have done away with the new uneven terrain combat introduced in 4u. Is this true? Because I always considered that a major generational improvement and its sad to think they've gone back to flat arenas for combat.

It's still in the game but it's mostly reserved for high rank because most of the fourth gen maps are high rank only.

F31 Leopard

My MH4U playtime compared to MHG.
w6dttvO.jpg

Generations is fun but it didn't keep me interested like 4U.

Sophia

Generations has areas from every MH game, but there's some degree of uneven terrain combat in there. There's also the Aerial style, which makes up for it on non-4th gen maps.

Eolz

4U is the best, especially if you're relatively new to the franchise, or want something to convince you to play.
Generations is more of a tribute, has some weird gameplay changes, and some terrible pacing.

Oswen

4U is probably the best experience, classic MH with a big selection of monsters.

Generations is a "best of" title with more flashy combat moves but we may get its updated version in the future so I would wait on it.

Bonus: 3U probably has the best selection of monsters, however online is WiiU only (and mostly dead) and underwater combat may not be for everyone.

BooJoh

Generations is hands down the better pick. Loved 4U when it came out, but the styles are a real game changer, mechanically speaking, and they just make the game play so much better. Plus, with the inevitable announcement of XX/Gen2/GenX for Switch and 3DS in the west, the fact that save data transfer is an option is huge.

I'd go for Gen, OP. It's the better game.

This is how I feel. As a Switch Axe player I love being able to stay in Sword mode almost all the time.

Also Prowler Mode is in Gen.

Murkas

4U is my favourite one out the series, is much better than Generations, and is cheaper, but I'd say get Generations at this time as that's also good and if we do get XX localised, you can transfer your save and get a more lively community (not implying that 4U online is dead).

nubbe

Generations is way more fun with Arts and Prowler
More engaging and action based

You'll also be able to transfer the save to Switch in the future

TheOasis

4U is hands down the best MH for newcomers trying to get into the series. It has the most well made single player "village" content and has excellent pacing all around which are areas that MHGen was weak in. Also, 4U does an infinitely better job than Gen at gradually introducing you to important mechanics in a transparent way.

Here's what I think you should do: Play 4U's single player campaign which Capcom actually put some effort into with the story, cutscenes and pacing, and then move onto MHXX for Switch when it comes out. MHGen and it's expansion MHXX really doesn't do a great job of explaining the basics but are worth playing due to the addition of super moves, weapon styles and the new super-boss "deviant" monsters.

Top Bottom