• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

demigod

Got a text this morning from best buy, thought it was ready for pick up even though release is tomorrow. Text tells me i can pick it up tomorrow, got trolled by best buy!

delume

Just watched the Polygon's primer (fantastic) and decided to watch the dual blades weapon tutorial. Sweet baby Jesus this game has a lot more to attacking than I expected. The Polygon video recommended long sword but dual blades looks so slicy!

so where's my hunting horn brethren at? I solo'd every last one of MH4U's single-player hunts with a horn at my side (except Master's Test I just GS'd it lol), and the new double note mechanic has me excited to be rewarded for playing the way I always have.

What styles will you guys use? :O

ohlawd

so where's my hunting horn brethren at? I solo'd every last one of MH4U's single-player hunts with a horn at my side (except Master's Test I just GS'd it lol), and the new double note mechanic has me excited to be rewarded for playing the way I always have.

yo, right here. will definitely main them again alongside lances and hammers.

always infuriated me to see HH users play their notes so far away from the monsters. kinda wish Capcom made the new changes to HH in 3U or 4U. better late than never, I suppose. I'll familiarize myself with all the different styles sans Guild and see how it goes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In 3U I mained Hammmer and Switch Axe, in 4U it was Gunlance and Longsword. I'm thinking this time I'll give Sword and Shield and and maybe Charge Blade

wbacon

Capcom USA
Glad we have a confirmation, even if it is sad.

Sorry for the small disappointment. Hopefully all of this washes away and becomes irrelevant once everyone gets their hands on the game tomorrow. Game size is at a reasonable 12K blocks, so download should be reasonably quick :)

How come UK got midnight release though? Just curious.

It's likely due to the fact that NOE is the publisher of record for Europe.

Kard8p3

Sorry for the small disappointment. Hopefully all of this washes away and becomes irrelevant once everyone gets their hands on the game tomorrow. Game size is at a reasonable 12K blocks, so download should be reasonably quick :)

It's likely due to the fact that NOE is the publisher of record for Europe.

I'm sure it will, lol. That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

Seil

Is the story as barebones as I've been hearing?

It's not cinematic and story driven in the way 4U was, no. It's about the hunts, and talking to various NPCs from throughout the series, taking on their requests and stuff. It's about the questing and hunting.

I mean, there are over 40 quests in 3* village. Granted a lot of them aren't proper hunts. I think 4U had 14 or something in 3* caravan?

KingClown

I may not be interested in playing the Hunting Horn myself, but I always enjoy playing with someone who does, those buffs are amazing.

I mained the Long Sword in MH3U after starting off with Sword and Shield and dabbling in the Switch Axe (which were both fun), and when 4U came out I jumped onto Insect Glaive and fell in love, used nothing but that weapon. I'll be maining it again in MHGen, though I'm gonna try and use the SnS, SA, and LS as well, and maybe try out the dual blades and Charge Blade, but I'll see how that pans out.

In terms of Styles, while I'll always have the Guild Style to fall back on, I'm gonna try playing a lot of Aerial IG as I love the forward lung that the pole vault and its aerial attacks. If I play some more LS, I'm gonna try out Adept style and try and get the timing on the perfect dodges right, as I had some trouble trying to build spirit gauge with it.

Seil

If this doesn't have G-rank where are the highest tier monsters?

Generations has Hyper monsters, which are more aggressive and powerful. Kind of like a Frenzy kind of thing. The affected parts deal more damage, but attacking them also charges your arts faster etc.

It also has Deviants, which are variants of monsters that have some different moves etc, and they have 10 levels each you can progress through.

Keep in mind, no entry has ever had G Rank from the start, it's always been an enhanced/expanded version feature. So it's not that big a deal to not have it. Especially since there's more content in Generations than 4U. I won't deny that overall it's perhaps an easier title, though.

Generations has Hyper monsters, which are more aggressive and powerful. Kind of like a Frenzy kind of thing. The affected parts deal more damage, but attacking them also charges your arts faster etc.

It also has Deviants, which are variants of monsters that have some different moves etc, and they have 10 levels each you can progress through.

Keep in mind, no entry has ever had G Rank from the start, it's always been an enhanced/expanded version feature. So it's not that big a deal to not have it. Especially since there's more content in Generations than 4U. I won't deny that overall it's perhaps an easier title, though.

Ok cool. It was more that I'm wondering where do you start farming? I started with 3U so I've only played with G-rank.

KdylanR92

Dammit, I know i'm going to play this for like an hour and then never touch it again but I fucking love Monster Hunter.

Please don't ever shut down those MH3U servers

Seil

Ok cool. It was more that I'm wondering where do you start farming? I started with 3U so I've only played with G-rank.

Yeah, you'll just be focusing on High Rank stuff, and the new Hyper and Deviant monsters.

Deviant monster armor is interesting in that it's really designed as a set. They each have their own special combination skill that unlocks when the gear's at level 6 I think? And they have no gem slots. Deviant weapons charge your hunter arts faster.

There's still mixed set building opportunities though, it just gives an interesting alternative.

Also, all weapons in the game can now technically be upgraded to final tier. Though that doesn't mean they're all great lol. There's also a new armor skill that actually buffs lower sharpness weapon damage, which is neat if only for variety and toying around with stuff. It can be used quite effectively in some situations, though.

If only they'd expanded our equipment storage for us hoarders of gear out there to go with that change =(

javadoze

After maining Dual Blades in 3U and ChargeBlade in 4U, I'm deciding to go with HuntingHorn after some deliberation and playing the demo.

Probably going to stick with Guild style until I start getting used to it, though.

Kinsei

Banned
I set my alarm to midnight for nothing. *Sigh* I guess I'll stay up the next few hours and then hope I can sleep until 12PM eastern.

At least we're getting a sweet theme!

iCodec

Haven't played a Monster Hunter since Freedom, looking forward to trying to get back into the franchise.

wbacon

Capcom USA
I set my alarm to midnight for nothing. *Sigh* I guess I'll stay up the next few hours and then hope I can sleep until 12PM eastern.

At least we're getting a sweet theme!

And a well-rested body for another 12 hour binge session ;)

Skbzi

Neo Member
Excited as fuck but screw the shitty, inept CB and IG users the ruin the game for the rest of us. Fuck them

Kinsei

Banned
you missed out on a lot of quality hunting. FU has been irrelevant two whole MH generations :p

And Freedom (if they mean that and not FU) has been irrelevant for three! The great sword couldn't even charge back then and the hammer couldn't KO anything. The horror!

Dude, you want Monster Hunter to be Dragon's Dogma with a new coat of paint. Why are you even in this thread?

Just because I want the formula to change doesn't mean I'm not playing them as they are. They're good games, but they sure have made us put up with a lot of tedious (low drop rates, slow gathering), aggravating (soloing certain bosses), borderline vindictive (charm tables, reward menus with time limits that auto-sell your loot instead of depositing it to your storage) nonsense in exchange for those big moments of elation.

I'm just as excited as anyone else for tomorrow, but I don't think it's so radical to propose a new coat of paint 12 years into the series's lifespan.

Just because I want the formula to change doesn't mean I'm not playing them as they are. They're good games, but they sure do make you put up with a lot of tedious (low drop rates, slow gathering), aggravating (soloing certain bosses), borderline vindictive (charm tables, reward menus with time limits that auto-sell your loot instead of depositing it to your storage) nonsense in exchange for those big moments of elation.

I'm just as excited as anyone else for tomorrow, but I don't think it's so radical to propose a new coat of paint 12 years into the series's lifespan.
Seriously all you do is shit up MH threads with your Dragon's Dogma nonsense. Just leave MH threads. Noone takes you seriously with your "but it just needs a new coat of paint guys!" nonsense.

Mr. Hyde

I sunk 150+ ours into 4U without a second stick and didn't think twice about it.

I am, however, buying the Circle Pad Pro for this release.

I ordered one for $11.00 off of Amazon specifically for this game. I am on the OG 3ds and cannot drop the money for an entirely new handheld but the game + CPP will be good enough for me. This is my first MH since the PSP days. I'm ready.

Zeta Oni

The bow class with the aerial style has sold me on the game. I've been playing the demo nonstop with it. Can't wait for the Nintendo store to update.

Seriously all you do is shit up MH threads with your Dragon's Dogma nonsense. Just leave MH threads. Noone takes you seriously with your "but it just needs a new coat of paint guys!" nonsense.

Hey, be nice. It's because of guys like me that you don't have to press a button 3-8 times per mining node anymore.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
So exactly when the fuck will I get a chance to play this game? I mean fucking hell, can't even pre order this shit? What the fuck nintendo. If this wasn't the only way to play this series i'd have been gone a long time ago with your backwards ass bullshit system.

So exactly when the fuck will I get a chance to play this game? I mean fucking hell, can't even pre order this shit? What the fuck nintendo. If this wasn't the only way to play this series i'd have been gone a long time ago with your backwards ass bullshit system.

On the day it releases? It's still the 14th technically. Midnight digital launches are a privilege, not a right as much as I am bummed to not be playing it right now and thus responding to you.

Capcom could have made it midnight. That isn't exclusive to Nintendo releases. Of all the things to shit on Nintendo for, this ain't really one

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just because I want the formula to change doesn't mean I'm not playing them as they are. They're good games, but they sure have made us put up with a lot of tedious (low drop rates, slow gathering), aggravating (soloing certain bosses), borderline vindictive (charm tables, reward menus with time limits that auto-sell your loot instead of depositing it to your storage) nonsense in exchange for those big moments of elation.

No, give it a rest already. It's becoming pathetic.

You've made it absolutely clear that you dislike many aspects of MH, including it's 'clunky' gameplay while making plenty of statements that indicate you've barely spent any time with the series.

From your posts in multiple MH threads in the last few days/weeks it's more than obvious that you have an agenda (obsession?) that you're pushing. You go into MH threads trying to find support for your delusional ideas about how the series should change and how successful those changes would be because you've projected your own niche opinions onto the mainstream. When nearly everyone responds and disagrees with you, you either ignore them or respond with nonsensical generalizations about the MH playerbase and the game's potential audience.

Even if all you want to do is "propose a new coat of paint", a game's OT isn't the place to do it, make a new topic or use your old one.

Spend your time playing games you enjoy or stop wasting others' and take that shit elsewhere.

Seil

On the day it releases? It's still the 14th technically. Midnight digital launches are a privilege, not a right as much as I am bummed to not be playing it right now and thus responding to you.

Capcom could have made it midnight. That isn't exclusive to Nintendo releases. Of all the things to shit on Nintendo for, this ain't really one

Meanwhile, we have a representative of Capcom telling us it wasn't under their control. Where's the Nintendo rep saying Capcom could've done it?

I'm unaffected by the lack of a midnight release, but I mean, right now it's looking like it's on NoA.

Hey, be nice. It's because of guys like me that you don't have to press a button 3-8 times per mining node anymore.
lol yeah sure.

Hey now, just be glad you didn't order from amazon.
With free shipping

Tho I guess I can't complain. I was planning on sticking with 4U, even got to GRank 1 for my first MH game so that was cool but the hype caught me. It also may have cost me an NX but theres no news of it and theres games to get now damnit.

I should've never played the demo. There was a bouncy Snake! D:

So for anyone whos first game was 4U who was your favorite Monster? Mine was Kecha Wacha. He's just so goofy. Dunno if he was a 4U original or not be he's my favorite. I think I heard he's not in Generations tho. D:

Kinsei

Banned
lol yeah sure.So for anyone whos first game was 4U who was your favorite Monster? Mine was Kecha Wacha. He's just so goofy. Dunno if he was a 4U original or not be he's my favorite. I think I heard he's not in Generations tho. D:

Kecha Wacha was first introduced in MH4 so 4U was the first time western fans that didn;t import got to fight it. The Ash Kecha Wacha was completely new for 4G/U.

I didn;t start with MH4u but I'm going to list my favorite new fourth gen monster anyway. I absolutely love the Nerscylla/Shrouded Nerscylla. Those two are some of my favorite monsters in the series. A close second would be the Seltas Queen/Desert Seltas Queen. I know Nerscylla isn't in Generations which sucks. Hopefully the Seltas Queen is so I'm not too disappointed with the monsters returning from 4U.

Doorman

I'm jazzed to lose my life to Monster Hunter once again. I'll be out on a camping vacation two weeks from now so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to play and ignore everyone complaining at me for playing video games outside when I should apparently be doing other things outside. :p

Haven't entirely settled on what weapons I want to focus on this time around, since I've generally gone different directions every time I play through one of these. After playing through the demo I'm leaning particularly toward Bow, and Greatsword (aerial GS in particular, those charge slams feel amazingly satisfying), and I want a third but it's such a struggle narrowing some things down. Feeling compelled to give dual blades a solid shot since they're one of the few weapon classes that I haven't sunk much time into in prior games...though there's some reason for that. Guess I'll try a few things out during the early game and see what sticks.

Top Bottom