• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations's Hunter Arts/Styles, Should They Stay for MH5 and Beyond?

Murkas

I gotta say, at first I thought these were just neat features and moves perfect for a "spinoff" but after pouring in hundreds of hours, I don't think I can go back to how it used to be (actually I probably could...) , I did a couple of quests in MH4U and just started missing them.

For those that don't know, Monster Hunter always had down to earth, realistic combat style (although you could argue Capcom were straying from that by adding mounting in MH4), heavy weapons were cumbersome to wield and dodging and movement were simple rolls kinda inline with Dark Souls and not games like Devil May Cry where your character jumps 10 feet in the air and slashes 10 times in a blink of an eye.

Monster Hunter Generations added moves and styles that were kinda more in line with that shown in these gifs:

b8e1f47f8cca2b17958d555281b912eb.gif

tumblr_nxjuglybaG1tqtadjo8_500.gif

b851e570c9c02083d509c3fe7698a065.gif

Maybe they can go half way, you have to gem the skills +10 for you to be able to use them or only certain weapons have them. Or just keep them in outright as the Generations was still completely playable without using the Hunter Arts.

I hope they stay in some form. What say you?

Kinsei

Banned
I really hope they are scrapped in MH5. They're an unbalanced mess that breaks an already easy game.

Oregano

They are going to be simplified into QTEs in Monster Hunter 5 so they are more suitable for the western PS4 audience.

They were a fun thing to toy with but I wouldn't want them sticking around, aerial and evade ones could not only be stupidly potent but arguably enforce bad habits that'll come back to bite ya when you don't have the super evasive safety net.

georly

If MH5 is basically a fresh start on UE4 and they have to redo almost every asset and animation in the game, so they're limited on the number of weapons in the game, absolutely yes. It adds variety in gameplay in a way that only more weapon types can do better.

I think hunter arts need to be rebalanced and styles need to focus more on 'beginner friendly (animation cancelling) vs veteran modes' to help introduce more players to the game, but the premise in and of itself isn't bad. It's just the implementation in gen/x changed the game a bit too much for many people's liking.

Eolz

Are we talking about the bad rumor of MH5 westernized for PS4 or not?

If not, I hope not, and would prefer them to improve on the 4U formula again while taking some stuff from X/G.

If yes, lol RIP MonHun.

DrArchon

I'd be fine with them getting scrapped. I never even bothered with Arts that much, and the styles were pretty busted, esp. Adapt and Aerial.

If they have to stay around, they'd need significant retooling. Adapt just needs to go or get 100% reworked, because for the style that's supposed to be the more difficult to use it's actually piss easy to stay safe and deal massive damage with it. The only reason Aerial is important for Gen is that so many of the areas they took from the pre-4 games weren't changed enough to take into account mounting, so you've got huge sections like the grassy backend of the Marsh were you just can't mount at all without Aerial. Decently designed areas should negate the need for it.

The only style I could see a need for existing is Striker, and that's just because I think an "easy mode" style has some benefit as training wheels for new players.

lokeloski

They should at least keep the Adept style. If they remove the arts, they better balance de weapons right.
Fighting with the funlance in MH4U was a slog (in MHGen is better, but that heat bar is annoying), and I couldn't play with SnS unless I had Evasion+.

Murkas

Maybe evasion+2 skill gives you Adept style and likewise, the mounting skill can give you the Aerial style. They could probably do the same with the Arts by bringing back Deviant monsters, for example, a Deviant Tigrex GS gives you Brimstone Slash but a Deviant Rathalos GS gives you Ground Slash so you can annoy the shit out of your teammates.

I can see the argument that they make the games too easy so they can definitely be messed around and rebalanced with.

Thinking back, Capcom have always tried to evolve the combat each entry by adding new weapons, underwater, mounting, and adding features and skills to old ones so if they do scrap the arts style completely, I'm sure they've got something to replace them with.

Toxi

Banned
Hunter Styles need to go. Aerial and Adept are very gimmicky and break much of the core gameplay. They turn every Blademaster weapon into spamming the same thing, not to mention the ridiculousness of the Adept dodge giving easy I-frames.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even if it's not a PS4 game eventually they are gonna have to scrap and start over even on the Switch.

New engine and basically all new well everything to make the jump into HD gaming.

This is true even if we get 1 more 3ds entry as they eventually have to make the jump.

I feel like arts and styles should just be attached to weapons/armor themselves to give them more character and encourages you to try different weapons often

Oregano

Even if it's not a PS4 game eventually they are gonna have to scrap and start over even on the Switch.

New engine and basically all new well everything to make the jump into HD gaming.

This is true even if we get 1 more 3ds entry as they eventually have to make the jump.

Nah, they'll put it on Nintendo's new handheld instead.

Eolz

They will scrap assets/engine/etc. Don't need to start over for the gameplay at all, spinoffs and other IPs are there for that, just like Capcom did in the past.

DrArchon

I feel like arts and styles should just be attached to weapons/armor themselves to give them more character and encourages you to try different weapons often

I feel like that would be incredibly complicated and daunting for newcomers though.

Imagine a brand new player wants to try out, say, Gunlance. They're gonna be looking at the sharpness, raw damage, elemental damage, type of shot, shot level, and now what styles/arts come attached? They're gonna have no idea what to make of all of that

I feel like that would be incredibly complicated and daunting for newcomers though.

Imagine a brand new player wants to try out, say, Gunlance. They're gonna be looking at the sharpness, raw damage, elemental damage, type of shot, shot level, and now what styles/arts come attached? They're gonna have no idea what to make of all of that

its not any less or more complicated either way

it just shifts it away from it being universal to the character

Toxi

Banned
The problem with this is that it just makes a very small pool of optimal weapons for a weapon class in the late game.

Palmer_v1

I want it as close to 4u as possible, probably. I'd be fine if underwater stuff came back, and I'd be fine with mounting mechanics staying. Hunter styles should go away.

DrArchon

its not any less or more complicated either way

it just shifts it away from it being universal to the character

That's true, and the more I think about it they could effectively gate off more complicated styles and arts by limiting them to later-game weapons and armor instead of just dumping all of the styles on you in Gen and expecting you to either go through all of the tutorials or watch GaijinHunter videos.

I'll take back my concern, though I'll still say I'd rather them be just removed.

Anteo

Adept style is cool so yeah I want that.
Just remove Striker and let the guild style carry 3 arts.
Or remove arts altogether, idc

Mupod

some of them are waaayy too OP.

But they had some great ideas. Adept Heavy Bowgun being able to roll in and out of siege mode converted me from a previously limiter-off only playstyle. Power reloads are cool too. The absurd amount of iframes you get, and the ridiculous damage you do...maybe a bit much.

Also, if the game is on a platform without a touchscreen, hunter arts won't work very well. I know you can set them to button combinations, and that's how I use them, but that's adding more junk to an already complex control scheme.

Fandangox

If they are gonna keep styles they really need to rebalance them, the adept window is too forgiving for example, and aerial completely trivializes some monsters.

Hunter Arts feel like they would be a lot easier to balance, and the Gunlance Blast Dash is way too fun and versatile for me to want it gone.

tuffy

I wouldn't want to see them back as-is in the mainline games because they're not especially balanced. Too many weapon/style combinations are either overpowered or useless and the same is true for the arts. Like with the bow, pretty much everybody does Adept style with Haste Rain because there's not much reason to use anything else. Yet something like Aerial style with the heavy bowgun is gimmicky at best.

Maybe cutting it down to a couple of styles that are specific to each weapon or something along those lines could offer a degree of customization while keeping some semblance of balance between them.

Murkas

Also should Capcom scrap Prowlers? ��

I just hope the next MH has an option asking you "Have you played MH before and think you're hot shit? Select yes and all the 1* gathering quests are auto cleared giving you the urgent. It's been more than a decade Capcom, I can't stand these mountain herbs and unique mushrooms anymore :(

I actually liked Apex monsters from 4U so I hope they come back!

Ridley327

Also should Capcom scrap Prowlers? ��

I just hope the next MH has an option asking you "Have you played MH before and think you're hot shit? Select yes and all the 1* gathering quests are auto cleared giving you the urgent. It's been more than a decade Capcom, I can't stand these mountain herbs and unique mushrooms anymore :(

Aren't gathering quests already at an absolute minimum in terms of key requirements? I don't even think 4U and Gen had any required fishing quests.

Toxi

Banned
My big problem with Hunter Styles can easily be summed up with Dual Blades.

Dual Blades are a fun weapon to use in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. While there are some very useful attacks (SPIN2WIN), I've used virtually the entire moveset. And the weapons are all about constant offensive pressure, which means getting up close to a monster and constantly repositioning yourself to avoid the attacks by a hair with Demon Dashes. It feels super risky in the best way.

With Adept Style it's boring. Positioning matters so much less because you have such ridiculous evasive ability. Other moves matter so much less because big damage comes from the dodge. It's not even like you lose much, the problem is that the tool you gain is so ridiculous that it invalidates how the weapon plays.

tuffy

Also should Capcom scrap Prowlers?
Probably not. Players seem to like them. And since Capcom's gone to the trouble of making all that Prowler gear, it seems sensible to let players use it directly.
I'm all for some endgame challenge, but waiting for Wystones to recharge got old fast.

DrArchon

I was actually fairly miffed that Capcom rewarded me for having a MH4U save file but still made me go through all the boring beginner quests. Like, if you know that I played the last game, why am I still stuck killing 10 Jaggia here?

I'd love for them to let experienced players opt out and skip to the starter "big" monster, but I really doubt they'll ever do that.

Mupod

Prowlers are a fun option for people way too good at MH who just want to help out low level people without dominating. Prowler arena quests are hilarious too. I hope they stick around, they need some work though.

Sakujou

Banned
mh generations was a mistake.

after the stellar mh4 i really wondered after 20h if the styles and arts are there for any use.
didnt like them, even though the counter-move was dope.

Producer

Nah, i feel like MH Gen was a bit too easy and arts/styles played a part in that. Keep them in spinoffs though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really hope they are scrapped in MH5. They're an unbalanced mess that breaks an already easy game.

This was my impression. Neat to have a bit more class variety, but I had no trouble going back to MH4U personally.

Doubt they will go away, but most likely rebalanced.

The styles are great, they add more variety to the combat. I just want them more balanced, easier to change between before a hunt. Prowlers should stick around too, they're also a fun change but need balancing considering they are the strongest thing in Gen if you have the correct set up and have practiced a bit.

The unbalancedness comes from the fact they shoved them on top of a game that wasn't designed around them originally. If MH5 started with styles in mind from the beginning they would have more balance. Gen is honestly just a romhack MH game.
Like scrap the styles for weapons that were fairly useless. Poor adept lance kinda sucked. A lot of the striker stuff ruined some of the weapons (but had there uses).

Basically change styles for weapons they don't add much or make the weapon worse. Scrap striker style and just have a max of 1-2 supers. Styles are too good of a concept to just scrap.

Syril

Though the balance on the styles is spotty, the aerial and adept dodges themselves are really cool moves with a certain degree of depth in how they work and how they can be used both defensively and offensively. I wouldn't really miss the styles, but I wouldn't mind seeing each of those moves go to different weapons as just regular abilities on them that set them apart.

Murkas

Probably not. Players seem to like them. And since Capcom's gone to the trouble of making all that Prowler gear, it seems sensible to let players use it directly.

I'm all for some endgame challenge, but waiting for Wystones to recharge got old fast.

Yeah I agree, Apex monsters and lvl140 guild quests really brought the challenge, especially Apex Zinogre, I wanna know who thought that roided up monster was an ok thing to hunt...

I was actually fairly miffed that Capcom rewarded me for having a MH4U save file but still made me go through all the boring beginner quests. Like, if you know that I played the last game, why am I still stuck killing 10 Jaggia here?

I'd love for them to let experienced players opt out and skip to the starter "big" monster, but I really doubt they'll ever do that.

Monster Hunter Generations went even more with the gathering, 4U was kinda ok in that regard.

Also kinda disappointed that for a MH crossover game, there wasn't a single defend the town quest in Generations, I liked fighting Jhen Mohran and Gogmazios, I would have even taken Shen Gaoren and Lao Shan Lung (as boring as them 2 are). Fatalis too wtf.

The problem with this is that it just makes a very small pool of optimal weapons for a weapon class in the late game.

It does?

Even when movesets and playstyles can be dictated by preference and you have this MASSIVE diversity of moves, builds and playstyles?

Gen wasn't balanced around Styles and Arts properly which is why a lot of them feel useless. No one uses any of the general arts outside of Absolute Evasion and Readiness. I don't think Aerial is useful for any weapon outside of maybe IG.

I don't think they should come back unless they get heavily reworked. Also, get rid of the Guild/Aerial/Adept Lance's new 3rd stab.

Also kinda disappointed that for a MH crossover game, there wasn't a single defend the town quest in Generations, I liked fighting Jhen Mohran and Gogmazios, I would have even taken Shen Gaoren and Lao Shan Lung (as boring as them 2 are). Fatalis too wtf.
Lao is coming back in XX at least. And his stage is getting a bit of a redesign, which is nice.

Rambler

I like Monster Hunter because it is to other action games what SF2: Hyper Fighting is to other fighting games and that goes out the window when you turn every weapon into a gimmicky meter based playstyle.

Top Bottom