• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Mupod

I think someone also mentioned that you can cut off Anjanath's nose boner and carve that on the ground.

Let's see how it does in terms of sales now that every old fan is convinced...

A bit disappointed by the graphics not pushing at all the hardware considering the development time (could run on other platforms without any gameplay compromise from what was shown), but the gameplay seemed nice overall, outside of some choices for the lock-on.
Will get the PC version, sad that there'll be no crossplay and that no japanese players will be able to play on PC as well...

I think it looks good enough, what's important is that it stays at a good framerate with 3 large monsters interacting in one area during a 4-player hunt while destroying the environment. Anyone who played a lot of Tri or 4U on a regular 3DS knows what a downer it is to have to play Slideshow Hunter.

I don't think there will be anything preventing Japanese players from getting the PC version if it doesn't officially launch there...but let's be realistic here, there would be like 12 of them even if it did.

Eolz

I think someone also mentioned that you can cut off Anjanath's nose boner and carve that on the ground.

I think it looks good enough, what's important is that it stays at a good framerate with 3 large monsters interacting in one area during a 4-player hunt while destroying the environment. Anyone who played a lot of Tri or 4U on a regular 3DS knows what a downer it is to have to play Slideshow Hunter.

I don't think there will be anything preventing Japanese players from getting the PC version if it doesn't officially launch there...but let's be realistic here, there would be like 12 of them even if it did.

Pretty sure it'll be on steam, and this kind of region locking is pretty bad for a multiplayer game.
And obviously that the 3DS was lagging, it was as much as the hardware could allow lol. Still far from a slideshow.

Anyway, that's just my impression. You can see that the engine was chosen for all kind of multiplat, and not really some huge evolution.

So happy that this game FINALLY exists in it's current form

I had stepped away from the series after playing some of 4 due to just burnout :(

Leezard

So happy that this game FINALLY exists in it's current form

I had stepped away from the series after playing some of 4 due to just burnout :(

Yeah I'm really happy we get something like this.

I played so much of Tri, 3U, and 4U, but I had to skip Generations due to burnout. This is looking great, and I'll likely have more friends to play with than I had with 3DS.

Haunted

Honestly have to say that XX is looking a lot less appealing now.

I'd probably still buy it if they were to release it soon to tide me over until World, but when it's competing, or even coming out later...? No chance. World is the new jam.

I played so much of Tri, 3U, and 4U, but I had to skip Generations due to burnout. This is looking great, and I'll likely have more friends to play with than I had with 3DS.

I hear ya man. I've played MHFU, Tri, Tri Ultimate (both Wii U/3DS), and 4

I'd probably still buy it if they were to release it soon to tide me over until World, but when it's competing, or even coming out later...? No chance. World is the new jam.

Ditto

Didn't give an F when they said they weren't interested bring XX to the states

Xater

That's probably Capcom's train of thought as well. They expect people to go where the game is.

Ha, same thing happened to me. Plus I didn't feel like playing more on a portable.

Juissi

Neo Member

My thoughts exacly. I was sure they release MHXX same time when E3 is for the hype and I would have bought it instantly. Well could buy it still if it's released before christmas.

I mean it would be nice to have a portable Monhun too.

Portable MoHun is the truth... but portable, weak-ass tech holding back glorious art MoHun is precisely what I had enough of

I would totally be down with revisiting it in the future, but the current formula is SUPER long in the tooth at this point

Eolz

Portable MoHun is the truth... but portable, weak-ass tech holding back glorious art MoHun is precisely what I had enough of

I would totally be down with revisiting it in the future, but the current formula is SUPER long in the tooth at this point

Nothing shown in this video couldn't run on Switch, so that argument is a bit terrible.
3DS was holding it up obviously, just like the Vita woukd have for example.

That's the usual generational leap.

Nothing shown in this video couldn't run on Switch, so that argument is a bit terrible.
3DS was holding it up obviously, just like the Vita woukd have for example.

That's the usual generational leap.

You legit think that MoHun World could run, as is, on Switch!?

....hmmm

I notice there is no stagger state after being kicked or run over. Maybe it will use poise like the Souls series?

I'm still not liking the cat and mouse chase. I was telling myself why they didn't do a plunge attack after the monster run off and drop down a ledge at the start. And it doesn't help when there is a timer in the demo.

I mean it would be nice to have a portable Monhun too.
As long as you had the settings right, there's always Vita remote play :D hoping it controls halfway decent on it. It's real hit or miss though for some people, and if you don't have Internet when you're away from your ps4 you are SOL. But still....it's something!

My only real complaint now is the weapons. They just don't feel powerful when striking the monsters. No blood, the sound effects when hitting the monsters suck, too.

Hopefully no blood is a final decision and they go back to the drawing board on those sound effects.

Also the item wheel is dope.

membran

I can understand that notion, feeling the burnout with Generation somewhat myself (I "only" clocked under 50 hours in that one).

Still, DoubleCross would have served as a perfect Hall-of-Fame-Title of the old formula ticking all the boxes: G-Rank with tons of monsters, armors and weapons; a return of most missing monsters; portable and yet still attachable to HDTV with proper gamepad at the same time; crossplay with 3DS version and savegame-import from Generation (if they'd release XX 3DS here as well, that is); having all the quality-of-life-improvements (item sets, farm, charm melding etc...) and even transmog functionality - and all of that in HD instead of 240p. And on a console that has a second analogue stick by default.

At the very least, it would have helped ease the wait for MH:W.

crinale

I notice there is no stagger state after being kicked or run over. Maybe it will use poise like the Souls series?

I'm still not liking the cat and mouse chase. I was telling myself why they didn't do a plunge attack after the monster run off and drop down a ledge at the start. And it doesn't help when there is a timer in the demo.

The chase was done intentionally to lure the monster to Rathalos to demonstrate monster infight. They even took time to deviate from mission objective and showed Rathalos a bit longer, thus another chase for main monster was required.

membran

My only real complaint now is the weapons. They just don't feel powerful when striking the monsters. No blood, the sound effects when hitting the monsters suck, too.
Hopefully no blood is a final decision and they go back to the drawing board on those sound effects.

I just had a quick glance at the video again and there was a bit of blood when the monster was hit. It was a bit hard to see because the player used a fire weapon (and the fire hit effect was larger than the blood effect). Also, it could be that the blood splatter was a bit small because the player used a long sword, which doesn't do much damage per hit, a low level one at that, and probably not hitting the monster's weak spot either. The size of blood splatters in Monster Hunter reflect the raw amount of damage inflicted upon.

Eolz

You legit think that MoHun World could run, as is, on Switch!?

....hmmm

I do, yes.
Not at 1080p, but with slightly worse particles and shadows, easily. Textures aren't particularly good, 3D models are mostly good work but not pushing a lot of polygons, envrionmental assets are pretty simple, etc.

You're making it sound like some Horizon look-alike, which is not the case. It's definitely way better than a 3DS game, but then again, what isn't? Look at the footage again.

MHXX on the Switch is really screwed at this point. Who would buy the Switch to play a port of 3DS game when there is a brand new game coming in early 2018? All MH fans in Japan most likely have 3DS so they'll just play the 3DS version until MHW comes out.

Galava

I do, yes.
Not at 1080p, but with slightly worse particles and shadows, easily. Textures aren't particularly good, 3D models are mostly good work but not pushing a lot of polygons, envrionmental assets are pretty simple, etc.

You're making it sound like some Horizon look-alike, which is not the case. It's definitely way better than a 3DS game, but then again, what isn't? Look at the footage again.

I'm with you on this one, it can run on Switch easily with lower resolution textures and less "lighting magics" at 720p.

Still, as long as XX arrives to the west, it's enough for me. I can play World on PC if i am interested. Also, a new MH game on switch is in development is seems, so, yeah.

Let's see how it does in terms of sales now that every old fan is convinced...

That's still, if we're being very generous, 1 million sales tops. More likely 500k-700k, assuming that all those 3DS-based fans either have a PS4 or are willing to get one for World. Still a very long way to go to reach their 4m target, and most newcomers aren't going to have the patience to watch a 25 minute fight with one monster, let alone play it.

I loved the item wheel, the much more fluid character movement, the gorgeous graphics and animations, and the modernized gathering/item use. Damage numbers also seem like a great update.

I'm still not fond of the timer, and I think that there will still be a few tweaks related to time, max stamina depletion and sharpness before release. I don't think Capcom is any more dedicated to these features than they were to gathering animations or stationary healing, they just haven't gotten enough feedback from press/focus testers to decide if they're worth keeping yet.

Bottom line for me: This looks like a truly excellent MH game, but I'm still nowhere near convinced that MH can be successful in the West without a few more changes to the meter management and tedium JP players are accustomed to.

Eolz

MHXX on the Switch is really screwed at this point. Who would buy the Switch to play a port of 3DS game when there is a brand new game coming in early 2018? All MH fans in Japan most likely have 3DS so they'll just play the 3DS version until MHW comes out.

It's compatible online with 3ds versions and has save transfer. It'll sell well for an HD port, just like 3U on WiiU.
Capcom isn't aiming for the japanese market with World. It'll sell as well, but both won't cannibalize sales off each other.

Edit: to be clear, I'm just talking about JP sales obviously.

Kinsei

Banned

People that want to play MH locally in HD.

Hybris

Some things I noticed about the best weapon (hammer).

Aerial spin that I'm sure everyone noticed. Seems to require a ledge or slope.

More interesting to me was the charged side slap triplepound combo. If my dreams come true it will increase damage of every move in the combo. The player did this move after holding the charge for quite a while, long enough for a level 3 for sure. My theory is you have multiple options for which charge attack you perform. Probably by hitting one of the attack buttons while holding the charge. So hit triangle while charging to do the charged version of the downward attack, hit square while charging to do the charged version of the side slap.

Level 2 charge is still there. Saw it twice in the video, didn't see the level 1.

The stamina drain for holding the charge has been greatly reduced. It's almost not noticeable. You can see him holding the charge for a long period of time while anjanath is sleeping at the end.

Launching plebs trying to attack the head is still in. Just position your golf swing properly ;)

I don't see the problem. The game looks like it'll run on the Switch.

They only need to tone down the settings and maybe the resolution to 900p if they have to.
If this was all it took we would see a lot more 3rd party support for the Switch.

I don't know what's giving people the certainty to say this.

Hybris

Couple of gifs I auto-generated with gfycat:

New GS attack: https://gfycat.com/AdvancedScaryBird

New LS spin dodge after a fade slash, into LS's new thrust->jump->special vertical slash (harder to see due to split screen): https://gfycat.com/MelodicOilyGopher

Also notice that while the LS user is in the air, the demo button prompts in the top right say it has two available follow ups. Regular slash for triangle, special slash for R2.

That LS attack seems to take almost an entire energy bar to perform. That's good since the payoff for landing it is massive.

That LS attack seems to take almost an entire energy bar to perform. That's good since the payoff for landing it is massive.

Landing it also makes your bar go red, and the gauge fill on its own without you attacking for like 10 seconds.

But after that your gauge goes all the way back normal (he was at white before the special, red for 10 seconds after landing it, then it fades to blank).

That's probably how they incentivize people to not spam it. Staying in red spirit gauge would be more damage overall.

PerZona

Woah the part at 58:30 was really nicely done. Nice to see that they have destruction mechanics in the game, that part was rad.

The chase was done intentionally to lure the monster to Rathalos to demonstrate monster infight. They even took time to deviate from mission objective and showed Rathalos a bit longer, thus another chase for main monster was required.

Yeah which was honestly pointless that lead ti more time being wasted. I wonder how high and g rank will work.

Hybris

Landing it also makes your bar go red, and the gauge fill on its own without you attacking for like 10 seconds.

But after that your gauge goes all the way back normal (he was at white before the special, red for 10 seconds after landing it, then it fades to blank).

That's probably how they incentivize people to not spam it. Staying in red spirit gauge would be more damage overall.

Ah I see, I thought landing it gave you the regular red gauge, but since it's only for a short time and it drops you to normal after it's done, I wonder if this is going to go the way of the SAED in MH4U and never be used.

PC version at least should provide mobile options in some ways

I imagine some gaming tablets can run this game

Does Razer still make those?! Maybe Nvidia will make one

I'll be on PS4, PC isn't really an option for me at the moment. Maybe remote play is an option but I doubt that'll be an efficient way to play MH with the new controls.

spiritfox

Is it me or can you reload while moving for HBG now?

Edit: Nevermind, I can't seem to find where I saw it. Maybe it was another skill.

Eolz

If this was all it took we would see a lot more 3rd party support for the Switch.

I don't know what's giving people the certainty to say this.

There's no magic button to port a game obviously. Like DBF that would have no issues to run on it, it's more a problem of workforce available to port it.
Otherwise, as said before, it's MT Framework, it's not pushing that much geometry or details, there's not a lot of physics calculation, no huge textures, open world map is not too big, etc. It's a locked 30fps game where there's more going into lighting/shadows (particles aren't that expensive) than the rest, which is a natural evolution of what was on 3DS hardware (whether we're talking about the basic AI, the small details near gathering points, or the verticality).

Anyway, the game looks good, just to say that it's not some graphical beast either. No issues with that.

Ah I see, I thought landing it gave you the regular red gauge, but since it's only for a short time and it drops you to normal after it's done, I wonder if this is going to go the way of the SAED in MH4U and never be used.

Possibly. But it's also possible that the damage this does is absolutely massive if you land it while ALREADY in red gauge (like, you spend the gauge that you have to do more damage).

Top Bottom