• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Train - A Slay the Spire kinda game that you HAVE to try.

Guys, I can't believe there is no thread about this game here on GAF. It's great.

If you even remotely like Slay the Spire or even if roguelike deckbuilding games interest you, this one is a must. Really cheap and lots of content.

Monstertrain.jpg

Try it. You won't regret it.

klosos

Oh i just checked out a few videos , it looks very interesting actually. I have just added it to my steam wish list . After i finish Judgement i might have to check this out

McCheese

I've been playing a lot of this. It's a really cool combination of the card-based battle system from Slay the Spire and the multiple board concept in Artifact. For such a niche (for now..) genre, the production values are through the roof. Great visuals, audio and a fuckton of content, none of that early access bare-bones shit.

The skill with most card games is learning how to minimise the risk of getting fucked by RNG, in that area I feel this maybe isn't quite as good as Slay the Spire from a pure gameplay perspective.

In StS you can certainly have RNG fuck up your plans, but often it'll result in you almost losing a round then forcing you to pivot your strategy. I've had some great clutch wins after a string of bad-luck and that emotional rollercoaster is what makes it so fun

But in Monster Train, you can be on an incredible one-in-a-million lucky run and have an almost unstoppable build; then a single hero with a random attribute can just come along and be like "noooope" and it doesn't give you the tools to overcome/avoid it, so 30 minutes down the drain.

On the harder difficulties, you absolutely have to double-down on a very specific strategy too to make progress so the game does get more frustrating the more you crank up the difficulty.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Guys, I can't believe there is no thread about this game here on GAF. It's great.

If you even remotely like Slay the Spire or even if roguelike deckbuilding games interest you, this one is a must. Really cheap and lots of content.

Monstertrain.jpg

Try it. You won't regret it.

Really interesting indeed

It kept popping up un Steam recommendations so I decided to give it a go, 2K+ reviews sitting at like 97% positive or thereabouts.
It's good! If you like StS, you will probably enjoy this. If they add a daily run it will go on the rotation for sure.

Eh, it's definitely pretty generic, but when the core gameplay is this good I generally don't care. StS is a perfect example of this, when I bought it in early access I thought most of the stuff I was seeing was placeholder art. Most of it is terrible, but it hasn't stopped me from clocking over 300 hours on pc, and god only knows on ps4.

It kept popping up un Steam recommendations so I decided to give it a go, 2K+ reviews sitting at like 97% positive or thereabouts.
It's good! If you like StS, you will probably enjoy this. If they add a daily run it will go on the rotation for sure.

There is Daily run, inside Multiplayer section.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's a deck builder so different. More like Slay the Spire (which I think is available on Xbox Game Pass PC if you haven't tried it)

I've already played this 42 hours. Was a bit disappointed how demanding it is though. My laptop battery quickly runs out while playing this outside. Had to get an extension cord to play it

Last edited:

manfestival

I absolutely hate the UI for this. The game looks cool but the mobile phone formatting is really... a detractor for me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I absolutely hate the UI for this. The game looks cool but the mobile phone formatting is really... a detractor for me.

It plays pretty terrible with touch actually. I enjoy it a lot more with a mouse. Trackpad + arrow keys (to change level/lane) is ok but I don't like trackpad. They really need to update UI to make it easier to change levels when you're dragging cards

VN1X

Banned
Crazy that there's so little discussion of this game on the Gaf!

Anyway just got my first win after like 2 hours of play which is kind of crazy as I suspected the game to be a lot harder but I kind of 'cheesed' it with my champion. My first victory in StS took 20+ hours lol.

Is anyone still playing this? I started playing it on GeForce Now on my phone with my Razer Kishi and I'm addicted. Playing it in bed last night was awesome.

Here's a config to play with a controller that works great:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Picked this up on GOG since it was on sale for 20% off and seemed pretty well regarded here.

This game is awesome, a really fun deckbuilding game with rogue-like elements.

Top Bottom