• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Months later, windows store downloads are still shamefully slow and unstable.

I decided to re-download FH3 on PC, since I had deleted it long ago to save some space.

It's been 3 and a half hours, and Forza Horizon 3 is at 6.13 gb on the windows store download.

I've done some looking and there doesn't appear to be any workaround for this, they simply serve downloads at unreasonably slow speeds for the large filesizes of the games they're selling.

I don't have the fastest connection in the world, but i get 4mb/sec on steam. That means on steam I could have pulled 50gb during the time I pulled 6.13 from the windows store.

That means windows is serving downloads at less than 1mb/sec. These are 10+ year ago broadband speeds.

The fact that this was their big initiative for 2016 of "play anywhere" and expanding their platform, it's really quite shameful how little effort they put into the PC end of things.

I don't feel wrong to complain because I paid $60 day one for the digital copy of this game and it's going to take 30 hours to download if the download doesn't suddenly decide to pause and never start again, or restart itself, or whatever the fuck it does.
I paid $100 for the digital version of Gears of War 4 and that game is almost 3 times the size of Forza 3 to download now. Gears 3 is going to take almost 3 full days of non stop downloading to install.

I feel like this is a thing that microsoft isn't getting called out for enough and they deserve to be getting their noses rubbed in the shit over it constantly.

As far as I know that got fixed in a update, is your w10 updated?

I had a ton of problem at game release but I re-downloaded it like 2 weeks ago without problems at my max internet speed.

Gestault

I don't recall encountering any download speed issues on the Windows Store app. Other complaints have been warranted, but from everything ranging from budget to fiber-optic internet between work and home, speed hasn't been a problem for me.

Trojan

Never had any issues with WS

You're lucky! I haven't had this download issue but I've had issues with games booting correctly and achievements, and that's nothing compared to some of the horror stories I've read.

OP - have you tried rebooting or pausing/resuming the download? For me WS isn't as fast as Steam but it's definitely not at the speed you're seeing.

You're lucky! I haven't had this download issue but I've had issues with games booting correctly and achievements, and that's nothing compared to some of the horror stories I've read.

OP - have you tried rebooting or pausing/resuming the download? For me WS isn't as fast as Steam but it's definitely not at the speed you're seeing.

The pause button makes a little spinning circle icon appear, then the pause and cancel buttons appear. The download appears to still be going.

theultimo

I think its your connection sadly - i just grabbed QB in about an half hour with 250 down. WS has issues, but i think this is on your end.

Pretty sure it's on your end. Is your Windows/Store up to date? My parents have like a 30/15 connection and even mine downloads quicker than that

Top Bottom