Montpellier in Game: Rayman: Origins and BG&E 2 info

#5
Zapages said:
Mr. Ancel apologizes about BG&E...
"He want to developp BGE2 with as little people as possible. It will have an interative Storyline with different outcomings and he want to make it perfect - so it will take a while."
Source: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdrgzj_videogames
Thanks for the OP and the post in general can you give us some more info for the non French speaking among us?
The video is about one hour I assume he says a little bit more ???
 
#14
Ancel explains that they're creating the tools to do Rayman Origins and that they'll release them for free to let everyone experiment with it.
He then say that they basically want to do the same and create their tools for BG&E2. Due to the game being 3D, he says that it takes much more time. They have prototype running where they create entire cities with this tool.

Each time he keep saying that they want to stay small and keep that "family" feeling which enables much more creativity than big teams in his opinion.


If I had known that there would be Michel Ancel and a live demo of Rayman Origins, I would have attended the conference... The show was so small that I didn't bother checking the conferences... :/

Edit: Forgot to say that they target the Rayman Origins tool to output on many platform. He mentioned the iPhone and the iPad and also said that their tool is so simple that it could may even be used on a touch screen. I think, it's safe to say that Rayman will end up on the iOS platforms.
 
#22
Bebpo said:
How many years does it take to make an HD game with the graphical fidelity of the BG&E2 teaser with a team of 5 people?
I'm more concerned about how long it takes to do a non half-assed interactive storyline with different outcomes with as little people as possible...
 
#24
Peff said:
I'm more concerned about how long it takes to do a non half-assed interactive storyline with different outcomes with as little people as possible...
It's an odd direction, for me. I loved the story told in BG&E, I'd like it to be continued rather than a "you shape it" sort of thing.

But I have faith.
 
#25
Lijik said:
Holy shit =O
Yeah, I also thought that it was a pretty big announcement. I hope Ubisoft doesn't come and say no but he seemed pretty confident.
The way he presents it, he really want people to express themselves and makes funny/unexpected things. The way he presents it reminds me of LittleBigPlanet in a bit more complex way of course.
He also said that the tool could be used to make animated movies/series and not just video games.
It will also be possible to put 3D objects in the tool in the future.


Oh and Christophe Heral who did the BG&E soundtrack also did the insects sounds for the BG&E teaser !:lol
 
#27
Bebpo said:
How many years does it take to make an HD game with the graphical fidelity of the BG&E2 teaser with a team of 5 people?
Do you mean the pig teaser or the leak?
If the pig thing, a while, if the leak, forever.
 
#29
Well, it looks like there's hope yet!

I'm waiting for the sequel to The Pig teaser we got a while back. The Girl, or whatever. Then I'll officially start getting excited.
 
#30
He had better not be apologizing about the original BG&E.

It reminds me of when Ubi Soft were apologizing for Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time in interviews in the lead up to Warrior Within. It's like, "Guys, you just made one of the best games of all time. I know it didn't sell well, but that's because people have awful taste in games."
 

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
#33
Ancel also said that he and his team are working on a 3D Rayman. I don't really know whether he means flat 3D or real 3D. He said this as an answer to a boy who asked him if he had plans for a 3D Rayman for PS3 :lol. To be clear, he didn't say which platform it would be for. But he did say that, like BG&E2, they're taking their time. Probably won't be out before BG&E2 is out. So basically I'll be dead by then.
 
#34
It really is a miracle this is happening to begin with. I'm willing to wait as long as I have to.

Didn't the first one drop in price to $20 like a month after release?
 
#37
Lijik said:
Holy shit =O
We've actually known that since Rayman was announced at the conf. Well, I don't recall it being free, but I definitely knew the tools would be made available to the public before this thread.

But still, yeah: neat-o keen.
 
#39
Twig said:
We've actually known that since Rayman was announced at the conf. Well, I don't recall it being free, but I definitely knew the tools would be made available to the public before this thread.

But still, yeah: neat-o keen.
Yeah the free part is whats blowin my mind over here
 
#41
Lijik said:
Yeah the free part is whats blowin my mind over here
Honestly, though, there are tons of tools like that (where "like that" means "tools to make games") available, some for free even. Not many of them are quality, granted, but they're out there.

I'm definitely interested in messing around with it, myself. We'll see just how easy to use versus how flexible it is!

i also secretly hope this thing's existence means that rayman origins will be eventually released for pc >_> it may not make sense, my logic, but it's the only hope i have until i can find a ps3 for super cheap
 
#43
While I'm relieved to hear he's still working on it, the news about the size of the dev team is startling. Surely it won't stay that small for the entire duration, and just for the initial creative phase? I'm also a bit leery about the open-ended choose your own adventure story. I really enjoyed the linear story telling of the original game, and I often find that I do not enjoy stories in sandbox games nearly as much.
 
#44
Small team with a family mindset? That's very un-Ubisoft. Go Ancel. :D
Also, does this video happen to tell us if Christophe Heral is doing the music for Rayman Origins? We know that he's involved with two projects for 2010 and 2011, and he's in the Rayman teaser, so...
 
#46
Any videos or more information out there about these tools for Rayman Origins? Absolutely loved Rayman on the Dreamcast and am looking forward to this new one. Would love to find out more info on the tools, though.
 
#47
mrwilt said:
Any videos or more information out there about these tools for Rayman Origins? Absolutely loved Rayman on the Dreamcast and am looking forward to this new one. Would love to find out more info on the tools, though.
Ancel does a quick demonstration about 10 minutes in. Moves trees around and such.
 

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
#48
Snaku said:
While I'm relieved to hear he's still working on it, the news about the size of the dev team is startling. Surely it won't stay that small for the entire duration, and just for the initial creative phase? I'm also a bit leery about the open-ended choose your own adventure story. I really enjoyed the linear story telling of the original game, and I often find that I do not enjoy stories in sandbox games nearly as much.
Sandbox games almost never have sandbox stories...the only place you find well constructed stories with any degree of nonlinearity is in WRPGs.
 
#49
watkinzez said:
Ancel does a quick demonstration about 10 minutes in. Moves trees around and such.
Yep. I'm sure he was giving some great information on the tools, I just wish I could understand what he was saying. It was cool to see him move the camera around in the scene, though.

ubi-art blog

Since the beginning of our project we seek to limit the repetitive tasks to keep the team as small as possible and to keep it happy
To achieve this, we use image deformation and looping techniques,
From a graphical point of view, our tools enable us to generate animations and sceneries in very high definition from veeeeery little original artwork.
As an example, the entire Rayman Origins trailer runs real time at 60fps in full HD (1920*1080) and required the intervention of only a few graphic artists.
In the days to come we will cover the different techniques that enable us to achieve these results.
This tech sounds very exciting. Can't wait to get more information about it.
 

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
#50
It isn't coming, guys. Just keep thinking that and stop hoping.

That way, you'll save yourself a lot of pain, and it would be a nice surprise should Ancel unveil a new BG&E in 2015.