• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monty Python & the Holy Grail - Deleted Animation Presented by Terry Gilliam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

ulxKzV0.jpg

https://youtu.be/1oGpR_TP7ME

The Verge said:
Terry Gilliam is arguably best know as a director of films that inspire millions of dorm room posters: Time Bandits, Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and a perpetually in-development, never completed Don Quixote project. But before those films, Gilliam served as the animator for British comedy troupe Monty Python, eventually becoming a full fledged member. Forty years ago, he co-directed what's become one of the most beloved cult films of all time, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Today, 14 minutes of lost animation from that film have been resurfaced on the official Monty Python YouTube page.

Gilliam introduces the lost animation, part of an upcoming 40th anniversary Blu-ray, explaining why the art wasn't used, and how he developed his style. "This in fact is probably the only reason to buy this new Blu-ray version of the film, for the new animation," jokes Gilliam. "In fact, it's old animation, but its the animation that was cut out by the rather envious members of the group, who were trying to restrain a young, talented animator. A man who could have gone on to be a great animator, but no, he was forced into live-action filmmaking to cover the scars."

i can't believe how few threads there are on here about this movie!

i loved it as a kid. of course nearly every scene was lovingly memorized and re-enacted in middle school etc.

rewatching it recently, i was surprised at how well it stands up. in light of the resurgence of big budget fantasy, MP&THG has a crude frankness to its worldbuilding that is even funnier nowadays! the rabbit gag is all the more hilarious in an era of climactic CGI swirling lights in the sky.

perhaps the greatest scene, and certainly the one that took me most by surprise when re-watching as an adult, was the "Help! Help! I'm being repressed! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!" segment of the socially conscious peasant arguing the minutae of anarcho-syndicalism. the whole discussion between these guys on feudalism and anarchism is wonderful, fucking hilarious, and ahead of its time. this is one of those scenes that didn't really fly over my head (MP&THG being one of the first places I ever heard discuss anarchism) but has so many more layers to it now that i am older and have known people that talk like this. lol im sure they were around in the 70s too.

anyways, this scene belongs in the Top 10 Anarchy Movies for Children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI

butalala

Gilliam's introduction was pretty good, but if he's right and these new clips are the only reason to buy the new Blu Ray, then I'm happy to skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom