• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore: No price drop for Xbox 360 this year

Odysseus

Banned
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/736/736496p1.html

ign said:
September 28, 2006 - In a behind-closed-doors meeting at X06, Microsoft's European game conference, Vice President of Interactive Services Peter Moore stated the price of the Xbox 360, contrary to rumor, will not be reduced this fall.

With Nintendo stating its $249.99 price, and Sony coming in high at $499.99 and $599.99, many online pundits speculated this fall would be the perfect time to drop the Xbox 360's prices to gain even more market share. Moore calmly stated prices would not drop, adding that Microsoft is happy about its current hardware prices.

Why woudn't it be? Until Sony nabbed the highest price point with its unwieldly $600 MSRP, Microsoft was the most expensive console on the market (at $399) since the failed 3DO. Now, Microsoft looks pretty reasonable in comparison.

What didn't Microsoft's VP say? He didn't say that Microsoft wouldn't make the same mistakes it did in the first generation, losing money hand over first on Xbox hardware sales. But you can bet your bottom dollar he was thinking it.

In entirely unrelated news that has nothing to do with Xbox 360, this article, or the link in my tag, 2 million certainly isn't happening between November and December!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah, like I've been saying, theres no point for them to drop the price, especially with ammo like GOW this christmas.

mj1108

Of course he's going to say that. It won't be like Japan where they say "We're dropping the price.....but 3 or 4 months from now".

But I doubt they will... maybe they'll have a pack-in of some sort for the holidays...but no price drop

Odysseus

Banned
mj1108 said:
Of course he's going to say that. It won't be like Japan where they say "We're dropping the price.....but 3 or 4 months from now".

X06 would have been the time to announce one. Since they didn't, it looks like smooth sailing price wise until perhaps March or April of next year. I would say May, but E3 being moved to July sort of changes things. I think the first drop will be just $50, though.

pilonv1

Well considering they're fighting at most 400-500k PS3's for November they'd be stupid to drop the price now. It'll probably come in March 07 just before the PS3 hits Euroland.

tiong_fi

There's no need for them to drop the price. They're already cheaper than Nintendo, at least in Finland.

Core system goes for 249€ and Nintendo Finland hasn't yet announced the retail price for Wii, but I guess it's going to be about 10-20€ higher than in the rest of the Europe (249€). For example, the DS Lite retailed for 159€ while the rest of the Europe got it for 149€.

Hopefully they drop the price before Halo 3 hits sometime next year (barring inevitable delays). I really shouldn't have given my 360 to my brother as a going-away present. Worst decision ever.

AniHawk

tiong_fi said:
There's no need for them to drop the price. They're already cheaper than Nintendo, at least in Finland.

Core system goes for 249€ and Nintendo Finland hasn't yet announced the retail price for Wii, but I guess it's going to be about 10-20€ higher than in the rest of the Europe (249€). For example, the DS Lite retailed for 159€ while the rest of the Europe got it for 149€.
Untitled-11.jpg

Foil

360 will probally outsell PS3 this holiday due to launch shortages, that's a no brainer. Once PS3 picks up steam/production in the spring they can drop the price. That's the same timeframe the new 360's as suppose to come out.

thirty

Banned
why do people still think they are going to drop the price? :lol "ps3 is $500...360 w HD DVD is $600" before anyone goes there not everyone wants HD movies right now.

SpacLock

Foil said:
Well seeing as how they'll probally outsell PS3 this holiday due to launch shortages, that's a no brainer. Once PS3 picks up steam/production in the spring they can drop the price. That's the same timeframe the new 360's as suppose to come out.

Are you talking about the Black 360 or the cooler running 360? If that black one is really going to come out then i'm going to buy it for sure once mine dies. My 360 is running fine right now but it's a 01/08/06 so i don't know how much more she can take!

Foil

SpacLock said:
Are you talking about the Black 360 or the cooler running 360? If that black one is really going to come out then i'm going to buy it for sure once mine dies. My 360 is running fine right now but it's a 01/08/06 so i don't know how much me she can take!

The 360's that run cooler and I figure are cheaper for them to produce. Hopefully if mine breaks around then MS will ship me one of those new units. I wonder if they'll make less noise.

D3VI0US

Word on the street is they can't actually sell or ship the 10 million they said at the press conference without actually spicing it up. Gonna take more than PGR3 and Kameo pack ins, or Gears of War, but at least they're smart and waiting to announce bundles.

fse

they said they are on track for 10 million, 5 million already sold.
where did ya hear this rumor.

thirty

Banned
D3VI0US said:
Word on the street is they can't actually sell or ship the 10 million they said at the press conference without actually spicing it up. Gonna take more than PGR3 and Kameo pack ins, or Gears of War, but at least they're smart and waiting to announce bundles.

christmas and ps3 shortages say hello. your word on the street is wrong. all they need is like 3-4 million WORLD WIDE. I think the 5 million world wide number was from like back in june. 2 million US from october thru december should be a cakewalk with their lineup of old and new.

Foil

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Is this just based on speculation?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/702/702662p1.html

April 21, 2006 - Microsoft will soon update its Xbox 360 CPUs with an advanced 65-nanometer process, according to a report on GamesIndustry.biz today. The company is working with Singapore-based Chartered Semiconductor and its Silicon-On-Insulator technology to produce the 65-nm chips, which should offer reduced heat, power consumption, and lower manufacturing costs. Current X360 CPUs use a 90-nm process.

"We look forward to working with Chartered on the production of such an important component of our Xbox 360 system," said Microsoft's Larry Yang. "We plan to continue with our strategy of dual sourcing from Chartered and IBM's fabs, which are operationally aligned and compatible, to give us the consistent product quality and flexibility we will need."

Xbox 360 consoles incorporating the new CPUs are expected to arrive in the first quarter of 2007.

thirty

Banned
:) 360 uncloaked was very informative. they've been working on that since before launch. we wont see any price drops until those new chips hit because they can still stay profitable that way. If anything else happens its only because sony has truly become a threat and that aint happening this year. Too few ps3s. Pack in would indeed be nice though.

castle007

Banned
I never expected them to lower the price, and I don't think they are going to.

The 360 is already 200 dollars cheaper than the PS3, and they don't see the Wii as a threat, instead they see it as a complement.

CorwinB

castle007 said:
The 360 is already 100 dollars cheaper than the PS3

Fixed. With the recent upgrade to non-tardiness of the PS3 low-end model, it really makes sense to start comparing the 500$ PS3 to the 400$ XBox 360. Of course, 'tarded allocation of the 60/20 Gig PS3 models could make this point void. :)

segasonic

they should do a holiday bundle with Kameo as a pack-in

it's got great graphics, isn't that bad of a game and is suitable for all ages

Syb

Cold-Steel said:
I wonder how we will be able to tell the 65-nm 360s from the regular ones.

Manufacture date? Although to see that you'd need to open the box before you buy it...

hadareud

The Translator
GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't expecting a price drop. I was expecting a bundle for the US, since Canada, Europe and Japan got ones. WTF.
there's no reason why they couldn't announce that still. Maybe they are waiting for the last moment.

It would be very strange (and stupid) if there wouldn't be any bundles for the US.

AniHawk

hadareud said:
there's no reason why they couldn't announce that still. Maybe they are waiting for the last moment.

It would be very strange (and stupid) if there wouldn't be any bundles for the US.

I really don't think they'd need to. They have a huge game coming out and it's practically the second holiday in a row where the 360 is the only next gen system on the market (but they actually have systems this time).

I'm surprised at how many ADULTS identify themselves as a "Sony man" or an "Xbox man," though.

Well, maybe surprised isn't the right word. More like frightened.

I`m sure there will be a bundle of some sort. Then a price drop in march will put pressure on Sony in NA and europe.

In fact, if MS drops the price in europe, Sony would pretty much have to counter.

D3VI0US

I thought they only had 5 million sold as of X06? If that's right, given the non-presence in Japan that's a tall order at the pace it's been selling. There was a thread about this a couple days ago, about their installed base when Wii and PS3 launched. I mean I guess it's possible but with the competition stealing a lot of the spotlight. Still if Europe is really Sony land I can't honestly see where the sales are gonna come from.

They'll drop the price after they go to 65nm cause they can afford to. They're gonna loss lead and try to undercut Sony. Still for all the talk of the Black 360 and HD-DVD built in I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet. They certainly didn't snatch up as much marketshare as they should have and a price drop would have helped but seems they're more in a it for a profit this time around.

LM4sure

Banned
Still cheaper than PS3, their biggest competitor. No need to drop the price. If the PS3 takes off (after ample supply is available), be sure that they will drop the price pretty quickly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
D3VI0US said:
I thought they only had 5 million sold as of X06? If that's right, given the non-presence in Japan that's a tall order at the pace it's been selling. There was a thread about this a couple days ago, about their installed base when Wii and PS3 launched. I mean I guess it's possible but with the competition stealing a lot of the spotlight. Still if Europe is really Sony land I can't honestly see where the sales are gonna come from.

5 million at the end of June they said. They havent released any information on the last 3 months yet.

I don't think MS will cut the price of the 360 for a year at least. If the A/V pack turns out to be true, then they might move the current premium pack down to $299 and kill the core altogether.

D3VI0US

No way are they gonna kill the Core, it looks like a great deal compared to the Wii at the first drop. Not to mention developing countries where the advantages of a hard drive are a non factor. Didn't you hear, Hungry, South Afrika, Slovakia, and India are gonna sets those sales numbers on fire! :lol

I guess 5 million from June to year's end is possible but it's gonna be close.

Striek

I don't really think the price of your competitors matters when your system is doing mediocrely at retail.

Although I'd guess after Christmas it will be needed more, as there will be (comparitively) little momentum behind the X360 - so it would be an opportune time to cut the price, gain the advantage of hype and a more significant cost advantage just when your main competitor is finally able to stock their system.

For the holiday season they might just release a new colour, SKU or bundle to put a little wind back in the sails. They'll do something, that I'm sure of.

MS is a smart company, they'll balance installed base vs. maximising profits (or staunching losses) well enough.

Top Bottom