• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More evidence on Hollywood's worst kept secret: Steven Spielberg directed Poltergeist

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...retended-direct-poltergeist-steven-spielberg/

Promoting his new film Wish Upon, director John Leonetti not only confirmed that Spielberg directed Poltergeist but that Hooper was used as a pawn to allow this to happen. You see, his brother is cinematographer Matt Leonetti, who was Director of Photography on Poltergeist. Because of this, John was assistant camera and was on set for every single shot of the film, which is how he learned the truth behind this long-debated mystery.

“It was a very intense, very fun, very technical movie to work on,” Leonetti told Shockwaves. “There’s a lot going on. And candidly… Steven Spielberg directed that movie. There’s no question. However, Tobe Hooper – I adore. I love that man so much. But, had I known you were going to ask me that question, I would’ve brought this one picture I have, which is the whole movie in one shot!”

Below is the shot in question, which he further explains. “It’s the scene where the tree comes in to grab the boy, and we have two cameras set up. In the foreground on an apple box is (an excited) Tobe, standing right behind him is Spielberg pointing. Next to him was my brother on camera and me.”

poltergiest-3-bfi-shoy3plx.jpg

“Hooper was so nice and just happy to be there. He creatively had input. Steven developed the movie, and it was his to direct, except there was anticipation of a director’s strike, so he was “the producer” but really he directed it in case there was going to be a strike and Tobe was cool with that. It wasn’t anything against Tobe. Every once in a while, he would actually leave the set and let Tobe do a few things just because. But really, Steven directed it.”

Original source for this interview is Shockwaves podcast.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Does Hooper dispute this? It seems like it's widely accepted at this point.

Blader

I actually watched this for the first time just last Halloween, thought it was great. But it's so obviously Spielberg I can't believe anyone has seriously believed this was a solo or even mostly Tobe Hooper-directed film.

Apt101

I've only ever heard that it was directed by Spielberg. I didn't know there was some kind of controversy.

Cptkrush

Sounds like Hooper was there as a contingency plan for the impending strike, I guess I always wondered why Hooper was given the credit. This settles that at least

border

I don't understand.

If there was a director's strike, Tobe Hooper would have been cool with being labelled a scab and barred from the Director's Guild? I guess it's cool that Steven let him keep the credit on the film, and I presume a hefty check for directing.

Is there's a DGA statute of limitations on this stuff, or could Spielberg still get in trouble?

diunxx

I honestly didn't know this "wasn't" a Spielberg film, hell I actually name this as one of my favorite Spielberg movies.

mjc

The filming of this movie has always fascinated me, between this and the rumored ghost activity on set.

Tobor

I thought the reason Tobe's name was on the movie was so Spielberg could qualify for Oscar nominations for ET?

Something about you can't direct two movies in the same year or something like that? Not sure.

I thought the reason Tobe's name was on the movie was so Spielberg could qualify for Oscar nominations for ET?

Something about you can't direct two movies in the same year or something like that? Not sure.

Jurassic Park and Schindler's List were the same year.

border

The Wikipedia page for Poltergeist says this didn't have anything to do with an impending strike, but that Spielberg was not allowed to direct another movie while filming ET.

It also politely implies that Hooper was chemically imapaired and "not all there" during the film's production.

Kind of a bummer to learn this. I always thought it was cool that Hooper had created two modern horror classics within the span of 8-10 years.

robochimp

I don't understand.

If there was a director's strike, Tobe Hooper would have been cool with being labelled a scab and barred from the Director's Guild? I guess it's cool that Steven let him keep the credit on the film, and I presume a hefty check for directing.

Is there's a DGA statute of limitations on this stuff, or could Spielberg still get in trouble?

It sounds like Spielberg would have continued to direct through a strike since he wasn't "directing" the movie he was the "producer" Hooper was the cover.

TL21xx

Banned
Yeah, true. No idea where I'd heard that, but it's clearly bogus.
It's a confusion caused by Spielberg actually having a clause in his contract for ET that prevented him from directing another movie while ET was in production. Bear in mind that the two movies came out within weeks of each other. Suffice to say, Universal had a good reason for trying to track that down.

EDIT: Beaten

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I never realized this for some reason. That's crazy.

Shit this came out the same year as ET as well.
Yeah I could have sworn JP was well before too. Isn't there a store about how someone told him he'd never be able to make JP after Schindlers List? Other way around?

border

Makes for a better story than going down as a would-be scab

That makes sense too.

I guess we'd have to go back and look at the trade publications of that era to so if a director's strike was really in the works. Hell, maybe the stuff about Hooper being zonked out on goofballs is just there to give him and Spielberg some cover as well.

border

It sounds like Spielberg would have continued to direct through a strike since he wasn't "directing" the movie he was the "producer" Hooper was the cover.

That's what I mean though. If Hooper took credit for directing during a strike, he would be up shit creek with his guild/union. I'm curious to know if he really was cool with being the fall guy.

sangreal

The Wikipedia page for Poltergeist says this didn't have anything to do with an impending strike, but that Spielberg was not allowed to direct another movie while filming ET.

It also politely implies that Hooper was chemically imapaired and "not all there" during the film's production.

Kind of a bummer to learn this. I always thought it was cool that Hooper had created two modern horror classics within the span of 8-10 years.

The actual source for that claim on wikipedia just says "apparently" that is the reason for the subterfuge so the author deosnt seem so sure either. It also says the DGA did an investigation (but not the outcome) and that Hooper wasn't happy about losing credit

What's even crazier is that E.T. and Poltergeist opened a week apart from one another.

Both were successes critically and financially.

FoneBone

The actual source for that claim on wikipedia just says "apparently" that is the reason for the subterfuge so the author deosnt seem so sure either. It also says the DGA did an investigation (but not the outcome) and that Hooper wasn't happy about losing credit
That comes directly from a cast member (Zelda Rubinstein) who said that Spielberg was the actual director for the entirety of her time on set.

Eh, I always assumed that it was a Spielberg / Hooper joint, it doesn't feel like a Spielberg film 100% of the way anyway. Spielberg himself didn't seem to care that he didn't get credit anyway, since he went back on his word at one point that he directed the film.

It 100% feels like a Spielberg flick.

Not really, there are a few sequences in there that Spielberg wouldn't usually direct, I'm thinking more of the ghost stacking chair sequence. If you've seen The Funhouse or any of Hopper's Cannon films, then that definitely feels like something he would done.

sangreal

That comes directly from a cast member (Zelda Rubinstein) who said that Spielberg was the actual director for the entirety of her time on set.

I have no idea what "that" you are referring to because my post has nothing to with Zelda Rubinstein? My post was regarding a Wikipedia article and its reference to a book by Douglas Brode and its reasoning for why he wasn't credited as the director.

Top Bottom