• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More games need to let you adjust the font size of the text!

Agree or Agree

• Agree

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Agree

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Go to the eye doctor my guy.

But yeah, it should be an option.

Dazraell

Yeah, some games looks especially weird with how small subtitles can be. A while back I wanted to replay Sleeping Dogs on ps5 and that small font made it unplayable for me

Yeah, some games looks especially weird with how small subtitles can be. A while back I wanted to replay Sleeping Dogs on ps5 and that small font made it unplayable for me

Funny you mentioned this as I was gonna say the exact same thing. Bought the definitive edition yesterday and first thing i noticed is how damn small the subtitles are. I thought surely there's a setting to change it but of course there wasnt. Annoying!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
It’s 2024 people. Why the hell are games for CONSOLE still using 10pt font?!

Most players are sitting at least 5 feet away from their tv. Nobody can read this shit!

How hard is it to let the player increase the font size of your text? It makes some games unplayable for the dumbest reason!
Have you tried the Closed Captions Settings under the PS5 Accessibility menu? (If using a PS5)

I haven’t tested it out before, but it should help.
maxresdefault.jpg

Duchess

I've noticed this has become a thing in the past few years. It's as though the devs are sitting 6 inches from their monitors when making the game, and never bother to check if the text is readable when sitting several feet away, on a couch.

This is problem that could easily be overcome by the devs applying a rule such as, if you can fit more than X number of characters onto the screen, on a single line, the font size is too small.

The Ascent was really bad for this. I would often need to get up and walk right up to the TV, so I could read the info in the inventory.

Three

I've noticed this has become a thing in the past few years. It's as though the devs are sitting 6 inches from their monitors when making the game, and never bother to check if the text is readable when sitting several feet away, on a couch.

This is problem that could easily be overcome by the devs applying a rule such as, if you can fit more than X number of characters onto the screen, on a single line, the font size is too small.

The Ascent was really bad for this. I would often need to get up and walk right up to the TV, so I could read the info in the inventory.
It's because they set "readability" with resolution and resolution has been increasing more and more recently.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Agree and agree.

You need 20/10 vision to see some shit in modern games, be it UI or text.

I’ve been playing that Spongebob game on Game Pass and the “LOADING” text in the bottom right of the screen is ridiculously small. Not that it’s important to read, but come on.

Even more hilarious is the fact that smaller text prompted the insertion of more useless text in games. From Tomb Raider to Monster Hunter, so many games contain tons of completely uninteresting text no one wants to read anyway. Fuck off with that and give me back SD-era font size. We have humongous screens and we get vocabulary-size text to read on them. It’s a joke.

DaGwaphics

It would probably be helpful for small screens like SD as well. I play at a desk, but I can see where the finer print could be difficult at a distance.

Are you a professional pollster?

StereoVsn

It’s 2024 people. Why the hell are games for CONSOLE still using 10pt font?!

Most players are sitting at least 5 feet away from their tv. Nobody can read this shit!

How hard is it to let the player increase the font size of your text? It makes some games unplayable for the dumbest reason!
I fully agree. Interface and font scalability should be a standard option for console and PC games. It’s annoying AF that in 2024 we are still seeing these basic UX problems.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's strange how these devs are putting so many resources into 60000 accessibility options but are screwing up the basics. I am playing God of War Ragnarok and I can't use the subtitles because they put them near the center of the damn screen. Apparently it's because of all the other accessibility junk but I find it amazing that Sony spent 4 years and $250M+ on this game, made by hundreds of people, and nobody said "hey lets make sure we can put the subtitles on the bottom LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE EVER MADE"

mitch1971

I remember a friend of mine getting his xbox360 and purchasing dead rising. Playing on an sd tv he couldn't read a word of what he was asked to do in the game as the font size was sized for hd tvs.

Top Bottom