• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More misinformation about Bully on yahoo's homepage

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/1906

New Bully Video Game Stirs Up Conflict

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:04PM EDT

It's not yet available, but Bully, a new video game from Rockstar Games (the U.S. distributor is Take 2, the same folks who brought you Grand Theft Auto) is causing uproar. The animated game, set at the fictitious Bullworth Academy, features a protagonist who is bullied, faces mean teachers, and encounters the nastiness of clubs and cliques. There is no beating them without joining them in this game set in a bully or be bullied world.

GameSpot, a gaming destination, reports that the Britain-based Bullying Online, an organization devoted to ending "bullying" on school grounds in the U.K., is seeking to have the game banned in the country. According to a BBC report, Bully will change the name of the U.K. release to the less offensive Canis Canem Edit (Dog Eat Dog). It is due for release on the PlayStation 2 on October 27.

Here in the U.S., members of the Washington D.C. based youth group Peaceoholics protested outside Rockstar Games' New York offices. And a Florida attorney, Jack Thompson, has sued to have the game removed from stores. In the US, the game has no rating yet because it hasn't shipped, but it's expected to receive an M for mature (over 17) audiences from the ESRB.

I watched the trailer for the game on GameSpot, and clearly it's a game about bullying that's similar in style and action to Grand Theft Auto. But this game is like your worst high school nightmare, with everything from wedgies, mean girls, and teases, to nasty cheerleaders and catty cliques. As the protagonist, you need to get strong fast as you rise through the challenges of girls that hit; mean, spiteful teachers; and gang plots to make your life miserable.

There are those who think that a game that makes "play" out of bullying is despicable. But in fairness it should be pointed out that this is not a shoot ‘em up game, and there are no guns or blood. Some experts believe it can be a healthy outlet for kids to get these sorts of fantasies out of their systems on the screen and not in the real world. On the other hand, the game shows that to survive the bully culture you need to become one.

What do you think? Will kids know that Bully is a game? Can they find it amusing and keep it in stride? Or do they learn that bullying is acceptable, fun, and even cool behavior? Would you let your teens play Bully?

----
yes, this was written last week, but just showed up on yahoo's frontpage. read up on the game, or hey maybe even play it, before you completely generalize the game. I've played it and its more of an anti-bullying game than a bullying one.

bullyuq3.gif

MaddenNFL64

She saw the trailer guys, so I think she knows a bit more than people who have actually played it.

BTW, my Wal-Mart has the game for $40. Damn good deal. I was going to pick it up, but I was getting short on cash, and bought Black & M&L: Superstar Saga instead.

Safe Bet

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
On the other hand, the game shows that to survive the bully culture you need to become one.

What do you think? Will kids know that Bully is a game? Can they find it amusing and keep it in stride? Or do they learn that bullying is acceptable, fun, and even cool behavior? Would you let your teens play Bully?
This is an artistic debate...

Belfast

MaddenNFL64 said:
She saw the trailer guys, so I think she knows a bit more than people who have actually played it.

BTW, my Wal-Mart has the game for $40. Damn good deal. I was going to pick it up, but I was getting short on cash, and bought Black & M&L: Superstar Saga instead.

The game's retail price IS $39.99.

Top Bottom